The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It wasn't so much that 89.9 was a niche hip hop station, but that hip-hop as a genre was the most mainstream it's ever been. Gangster rappers were household names and their songs were being played on nationally-syndicated top-40 shows lol. That's just not the case anymore.
I mean, Drake and Kendrick alone disprove this statement.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
That's how it came across. The discussion is why is there no hip-hop channel, not why is there no gangster rap channel.

Nah, the post I referenced said that Hot 89.9 was once a "niche" hip-hop station. In fact, 89.9 has always been a mainstream pop station. It's just that around '03-'07 hip-hop and even gangster rap was so mainstream it was pop. Rappers will never have it better than that time period. The peak of hip-hop as mainstream pop music also coincided with a time period in which people still bought CD's, so those guys made money hand over fist.

But, I digress...

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Nah, the post I referenced said that Hot 89.9 was once a "niche" hip-hop station. In fact, 89.9 has always been a mainstream pop station. It's just that around '03-'07 hip-hop and even gangster rap was so mainstream it was pop. Rappers will never have it better than that time period. The peak of hip-hop as mainstream pop music also coincided with a time period in which people still bought CD's, so those guys made money hand over fist.

But, I digress...

But, I digress...[/QUOTE

“The peak of hip-hop as mainstream pop music also coincided with a time period in which people still bought CD's,”

..............you mean, that long ago uh...lol

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

But, I digress...
In 2003 89.9 got rebranded the New Hot 89.9 and their music director was a local college hip hop DJ. That's why when it started it was heavily rap orientated. They were trying to emulate Flow 93.5 in Toronto. Rap on 89.9 lasted for only like a year and that station manager left and went to Toronto.

The only place you're going to hear rap music in Ottawa on the radio is 93.1 CKCU and 89.1 CHUO

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

But, I digress...
Was just reading today about how streaming and streaming revenue is way up. In that article they mentioned the top 10 artists of the past year. 3 of the top 5 were Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Eminem. I really don't think hip hop peaked in popularity back then like you seem to think. Kendrick Lamar even became the first hip hop artist to win the Pulitzer for music this past week.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Probably not. That demographic is younger and aren't going to be listening to the radio anyways. More and more young people aren't even buying cars anymore, there's really no need listen to a radio with the invention of the smart phone.
I disagree. People of my generation are the ones with money who are the ones who can support a station like that. The younger demographic are never the target market because they don't have the money advertisements are aimed at. I listen to the radio everyday.

An all rap station would never survive anywhere. old school/new school/ what ever you call it now Rap, R&B, Reggae could work.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
1 of the many problems with The team 1200 is that there format is out dated and simple. I understand they are under a corporate umbrella but their new ideas are always based on old gimmicks.

The Jim Rome Show became successful because of great interviews and caller "takes" which led to the smackoff.

Tim & Sid as per Wiki....Tim & Sid was launched in 2011 as an afternoon radio show on CJCL, a sports talk radio station owned by Rogers Media in Toronto.[1][2] The program gained a television simulcast on Micallef and Seixeiro's previous home, The Score[1] in May 2013, coinciding with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's (CRTC) approval of Rogers' acquisition of the network (since renamed Sportsnet 360).[3][4] Tim & Sid became known for the pair's freeform style, and proved popular among a younger audience and a loyal group of fans. The program gained further attention from viral videos during the 2014 Winter Olympics, such as their live reaction to Canada's winning goal in the gold medal game of the Women's hockey tournament.

Jay & Dan was mostly not a sports podcast but it was hilarious and 100% Canadian. They're on camera antics coupled with the podcast led them to FOXsports.

Hell, even Tom Green (not sports related) took a locally produced show and created something completely unique which changed television once it was picked up by MTV.

People don't know what cool is until you show them something they have never seen or heard before.

I will admitt the line up is much better now especially on the weekends. Before it just seemed random but now there is a concerted effort to maintain a certain flow that keeps me at least interested a lot longer. Just don't go cancelling the basketball show come next season.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
1 of the many problems with The team 1200 is that there format is out dated and simple. I understand they are under a corporate umbrella but their new ideas are always based on old gimmicks.

The Jim Rome Show became successful because of great interviews and caller "takes" which led to the smackoff.

Tim & Sid as per Wiki....Tim & Sid was launched in 2011 as an afternoon radio show on CJCL, a sports talk radio station owned by Rogers Media in Toronto.[1][2] The program gained a television simulcast on Micallef and Seixeiro's previous home, The Score[1] in May 2013, coinciding with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's (CRTC) approval of Rogers' acquisition of the network (since renamed Sportsnet 360).[3][4] Tim & Sid became known for the pair's freeform style, and proved popular among a younger audience and a loyal group of fans. The program gained further attention from viral videos during the 2014 Winter Olympics, such as their live reaction to Canada's winning goal in the gold medal game of the Women's hockey tournament.

Jay & Dan was mostly not a sports podcast but it was hilarious and 100% Canadian. They're on camera antics coupled with the podcast led them to FOXsports.

Hell, even Tom Green (not sports related) took a locally produced show and created something completely unique which changed television once it was picked up by MTV.

People don't know what cool is until you show them something they have never seen or heard before.

I will admitt the line up is much better now especially on the weekends. Before it just seemed random but now there is a concerted effort to maintain a certain flow that keeps me at least interested a lot longer. Just don't go cancelling the basketball show come next season.
Tim and Sid I watched once and it was the last time.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Jay and Dan work too hard at trying to be funny. It just doesn't come off most of the time. Like a comic at an open mic night 2 out of 10 jokes might be ok.

Rome is "cult like" with scripted phone calls aimed at pleasing "the master" of the jungle! Content can be okay and he seems to get the sports personalities lining up for interviews.

Give me a panel format with a half decent moderator and well versed guests with some articulate ex players thrown in for good measure.
Add a few phone calls or tweets and the let the show begin.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Rome is "cult like" with scripted phone calls aimed at pleasing "the master" of the jungle! Content can be okay and he seems to get the sports personalities lining up for interviews.

I find that the older I get, the less I like Jim Rome.

Not because I'm old and curmudgeonly or anything, I used to listen to him all the time back in the late 90's and early 2000's... it's just that after 20+ years, his shtick seems old. I don't think his format / style has aged well.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Not because I'm old and curmudgeonly or anything, I used to listen to him all the time back in the late 90's and early 2000's... it's just that after 20+ years, his shtick seems old. I don't think his format / style has aged well.
Reading this I just realized that Steve Warne is a knockoff Jim Rome and there's a ton of guys on radio who try to emulate his fake ass deep voice. So much makes sense now.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
15 years later and they still call it "New" Hot 89.9.

Kinda like when a radio show is called "Three Guys on the Radio" yet there are actually only two guys.

Used to be three, hosts, now down to only two ... but the Producer is now a contributor to the show, and was not in the past, and could be considered the third guy.

OR

Three
Guys
On the
Radio

Two
Guys
On the
Radio

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Used to be three, hosts, now down to only two ... but the Producer is now a contributor to the show, and was not in the past, and could be considered the third guy.

OR

Three
Guys
On the
Radio

Two
Guys
On the
Radio

[mod note: don't start.]

Also, the producer is not exactly someone we need to hear from, actually, may as well mute all three of them. Heck why not turn TGOR off and play three hours of hip hop every morning. It would definitely increase their listeners..

Last edited by a moderator:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

OR

Three
Guys
On the
Radio

Two
Guys
On the
Radio
I don't have any issue with TGOR as a name. They don't even refer to "three guys" or "two guys" anymore anyway. But removing the TGOR household name is pointless.

[mod note: don't start.]

Also, the producer is not exactly someone we need to hear from, actually, may as well mute all three of them. Heck why not turn TGOR off and play three hours of hip hop every morning. It would definitely increase their listeners..
I don't mind Hammer's contribution at all. I see it as a positive. I don't understand this gripe. 89.9 does the same thing (which is my go-to station switch when My Pillow comes on).

I used to like Rome a lot during late nights. Kept me company throughout schooling, before the advent of YouTube. I found it was best in that post-midnight slot. Now I'm indifferent on it whenever it airs.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't have any issue with TGOR as a name. They don't even refer to "three guys" or "two guys" anymore anyway. But removing the TGOR household name is pointless.

I don't mind Hammer's contribution at all. I see it as a positive. I don't understand this gripe. 89.9 does the same thing (which is my go-to station switch when My Pillow comes on).

I used to like Rome a lot during late nights. Kept me company throughout schooling, before the advent of YouTube. I found it was best in that post-midnight slot. Now I'm indifferent on it whenever it airs.

Always liked Jim Rome, since his early days, and even today at night on TSN 1200.

Liked this segment too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad