The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Wow. Hurry back Ian. Warne with Simmer on the Drive is just a disaster.

Brennan with JR is equally as bad. There has to be better options out there..

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I know, I shold have been more clear. I am talking specifically about the sports shows that are in the US and and the way our city sounds. Even Toronto and Montreal music is newer on TSN stations. The NHL/CFL production in Canada is so Nickleback. The NBA is all sweet beats.
Not really no

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Did Trent Mann come on like Steve and Chris said around noon? I was in the car when it was mentined but then got to work and possibly missed it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Methot was a guest today. Such a great guy to interview, always ableto give thoughtful answers without the generic stuff. Said he really liked playing under Boucher, talked about how great Spezza is in the locker room. Took a jab at Karlsson's golf course of preference. Good times, I miss that guy.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Methot was a guest today. Such a great guy to interview, always ableto give thoughtful answers without the generic stuff. Said he really liked playing under Boucher, talked about how great Spezza is in the locker room. Took a jab at Karlsson's golf course of preference. Good times, I miss that guy.

Have to say he is one of my favourite players to listen to in an interview. I've said it before as others have also, this guy is destined for the booth or one of the sports channels. A refreshing change from the ho hum stuff you get from most players. Maybe 1200 will find a spot for him after his playing days. Worked out well for Galley and Yorkie!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Is there a worse duo on radio than Warne and Brennan?

Don't listen then! (obvious sarcastic response based on previous replies)

As bad as the duo is, Brennan was responsible for one of the best lines that I have ever heard on the station this morning when Brennan called out TGOR and one specific Ottawa Sun sports writer for how then will inevitably spinning the Karlsson trade into however management and ownership wants them to.

Brennan is horrible, Warne may be worse, but Brennan was on point with this comment.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
lol you know you are bad at your job when Brennan is making more sense than you. This morning's Karlsson discussion was classic stupid shit by Warne.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Yesterday's show with Ian and Simmer really crossed a line for me. They started making fun of that soccer team in Israel adding Trump to the team name and then went on to make jokes about games going to shoot outs, etc. I don't want to discuss politics with anyone, because this isn't the place. It doesn't matter which side of the embassy debate you support, but holy shit guys, people were being slaughtered yesterday.
Yesterday, in protests over that embassy, the Israeli soldiers killed 59 people and wounded 1360 more (of which more than 130 are in serious or critical condition). Hearing Ian and Simmer laugh like jackals really demonstrated a complete lack of empathy. The whole country mourned when 16 people died in the Humboldt bus crash and rightly so. Now imagine radio hosts from another country mocking and laughing about it. It's mind boggling.
I was personally really disgusted with the guys making jokes about the embassy protest situation. It just wasn't right.

/rant

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Pretty amazing how I have seen/heard more Marc Crawford interviews with TSN 690 than the home station.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/crawford-sens-fall-from-grace-a-great-lesson-1.1086200

It's quite baffling actually.

You can easily compare the quality of the station's content by just visiting their audio section for their podcasts.

In TSN 690 just based on the last 24 hours.

They have segments with the following people:

Marc Crawford
Pierre Lebrun
Habs Lunch ( An actual segment all dedicated to their team and/or the league, no bullshit filler in between, no games, just 3 guys that know their shit talking home team and hockey)
Dale Hawerchuk on Svechnikov (If the prospect isn't named Tkachuk, then TSN1200 hasn't heard of him)
Arpon Basu from the Athletic (You barely hear from James Gordon or the other Sens writers from that site)
Darren Dreger
The Quiz (All home team related segment that's actually engaging and no bullshit like the Leftover 5 or whatever that quiz shit that TGOR does every 7:30AM)
Marc Dumont
Bob Mckenzie
Pierre McGuire

Now lets the checkout the baron wasteland that is called the TSN1200.

Slater
Burris
Pierre McGuire
3 Hours of In The Box
4 Hours of TGOR
A Marc Crawford interview done by the TSN690 crew.

This station's best days for content are ironically the weekend, when they have That's What She Said, TSN Weekend and The Battle of The Atlantic. During the weekday, it's rehashed shitty programs with the same people, barely any guests or engaging segments with insiders, other journalists etc. The only segment you can count on is Pierre McGuire every morning.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Pretty amazing how I have seen/heard more Marc Crawford interviews with TSN 690 than the home station.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/crawford-sens-fall-from-grace-a-great-lesson-1.1086200

It's quite baffling actually.

You can easily compare the quality of the station's content by just visiting their audio section for their podcasts.

In TSN 690 just based on the last 24 hours.

They have segments with the following people:

Marc Crawford
Pierre Lebrun
Habs Lunch ( An actual segment all dedicated to their team and/or the league, no bull**** filler in between, no games, just 3 guys that know their **** talking home team and hockey)
Dale Hawerchuk on Svechnikov (If the prospect isn't named Tkachuk, then TSN1200 hasn't heard of him)
Arpon Basu from the Athletic (You barely hear from James Gordon or the other Sens writers from that site)
Darren Dreger
The Quiz (All home team related segment that's actually engaging and no bull**** like the Leftover 5 or whatever that quiz **** that TGOR does every 7:30AM)
Marc Dumont
Bob Mckenzie
Pierre McGuire

Now lets the checkout the baron wasteland that is called the TSN1200.

Slater
Burris
Pierre McGuire
3 Hours of In The Box
4 Hours of TGOR
A Marc Crawford interview done by the TSN690 crew.

This station's best days for content are ironically the weekend, when they have That's What She Said, TSN Weekend and The Battle of The Atlantic. During the weekday, it's rehashed ****ty programs with the same people, barely any guests or engaging segments with insiders, other journalists etc. The only segment you can count on is Pierre McGuire every morning.

This is what really bothers me the most. With the amount of insanity surrounding this team right now, there should be considerably more Sens talk and less filler.

I thoroughly enjoyed the segment with Brennan talking about Methot's comments in regards to Karlsson. More of that type of stuff please.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
This is what really bothers me the most. With the amount of insanity surrounding this team right now, there should be considerably more Sens talk and less filler.

I thoroughly enjoyed the segment with Brennan talking about Methot's comments in regards to Karlsson. More of that type of stuff please.

Do you consider talk about the nhl playoffs, nba playoffs, mlb to be filler?

They should talk about the Sens, but there’s not a lot to discuss right now.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Is there a worse duo on radio than Warne and Brennan?
Re: [Warne + Simmer] and [JR + Brennan] last week, and I'll actually say that JR and Donny was passable on TGOR (as much as Don is a dink), but Warne and Simmer is basically unlistenable. I just hate Warne in the host chair. It sounds so forced when he has that role.

He has his shortcomings, but I think JR can actually carry a show, that's why he can work with anyone on the station. He is very good a prompting his co-host.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
@ianmendes Hey Ian,
Why are there stories of an OEL extension happening with additional commentary by Dreger happening when Dorion said he had to wait until July 1 to offer Karlsson a contract and that he could get fined if he said anything beforehand? I aked something similar to this in our trade thread with tweets on the subject. If Dorion can be discussing the extension now, would it not make sense ahead of the draft?
Appreciate if you can offer something on this.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Lol at Terry Marcotte today in regards to Vegas. I’m totally team AJ when it comes to that argument. I love all these people that act like Vegas was gifted this amazing roster. Well, if you truly believe that, why didn’t you say so last summer? Oh right, because you didn’t think the roster was anything special in June.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lol at Terry Marcotte today in regards to Vegas. I’m totally team AJ when it comes to that argument. I love all these people that act like Vegas was gifted this amazing roster. Well, if you truly believe that, why didn’t you say so last summer? Oh right, because you didn’t think the roster was anything special in June.
I thought they both had valid arguments but side with AJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->