The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Just heard a segment with Brian Burke on the fan 590 in his new media analyst role. Too bad he is affiliated with Sportsnet because it would be a welcome relief to hear his frank, honest and no holds barred opinions on 1200. If you ask him about the state of the Senators, you would get opinions that would go to the core of the franchise. I've never been a fan of Burke but in his new role, he is exemplary! On a side note, after listening to 590 for a few days it is even more apparent how mediocre 1200 really is!

I used to dislike him, but I’ve learned to like him a lot over the years. I find him funny.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just heard a segment with Brian Burke on the fan 590 in his new media analyst role. Too bad he is affiliated with Sportsnet because it would be a welcome relief to hear his frank, honest and no holds barred opinions on 1200. If you ask him about the state of the Senators, you would get opinions that would go to the core of the franchise. I've never been a fan of Burke but in his new role, he is exemplary! On a side note, after listening to 590 for a few days it is even more apparent how mediocre 1200 really is!

Burke is perfect for this role. Obviously an experienced guy who knows of what he speaks, and VERY opinionated. ;-) Burke doesn't get fired because he's not a good hockey exec - he gets canned because everywhere he goes, people eventually get tired of his act and the fact that he can't play nicely with the other children...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Why even give Tom Wilson 2 seconds of airtime, let alone waste your only actual sports segment of the 7:00 hour on a goon for the past 2 days? And even use the words "The biggest story of the day"...??? FYI, JR, Tom Wilson is NOT the biggest story of the day.

Talk about the action on the ice, don't just read the scores, Dean Roberts reads the scores.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Why even give Tom Wilson 2 seconds of airtime, let alone waste your only actual sports segment of the 7:00 hour on a goon for the past 2 days? And even use the words "The biggest story of the day"...??? FYI, JR, Tom Wilson is NOT the biggest story of the day.

Talk about the action on the ice, don't just read the scores, Dean Roberts reads the scores.

Is Pierre still on in the mornings? Setting the table for the biggest Pens fan to wax on?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Unable to listen, was he surprised he didn't get more or less? He sounded like he was tearing up whilst doing the colour commentary during the actual game

He used the Kadri suspension as a comparison, and seemed that it was justified ......... at least that's what I remember, listening to it at 6am this morning, still half asleep (rebroadcast at 8am)

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Senators fan apathy has to be addressed. The emotional attachment part and not just parking and bad contracts.

I’ve got the Raptors, Olympics, NFL 360, World Cup coming up, not to mention real intrigue of other NHL teams. How can I watch 82 Sens games next year when I’ve seen what Boston can do and how much emotion Bergeron, Chara and Marchand play with? How do you pay $125 on a Tuesday night versus a non playoff western conference team when the 4th line in Tampa is better then the 2nd line in Ottawa? How can Henri Burris be the best sports personality in the city when we have Karlsson?

There are so many options out there for my eye balls, that are better, more intriguing, more professional, MORE RESPECTFUL.

Melnyck is trying to sell you a hot dog on a plate, calling it a steak and charging you for parking at his restaurant.

I don’t have time for losers, I’m here to cheer and drink Bud Light Limes on game night. I can’t be arguing with my owner over a crap product with an NHL logo on it. I’ll just grab my Bud Light Line and watch the Jets instead, or Lowry, or Marchand, or even the Buffalo Bills. That’s how bad it is, the Buffalo Bills have a plan that makes Ottawa look like they could use a lesson from Buffalo.

Melnyck says he’s struggling to sell a ticket. Don’t sell tickets, sell intelligence, sell unity, sell your small market edge.

The Hossa/Redden/Alfie Sens had an intrigue about them. You’d hear stories of how amazing Hossa and Alfie were in the gym, we’d talk about our scouts in far off rinks in Slovakia and europe finding gems like Volchekov, Havlat, Meszaros. Redden had a box for thre sick kids, Phillips would hel old ladies change tires, we’d tell stories of how Chris Neil couldn’t feel pain - there was intrigue and mystique and love. I dont hear any of that anymore. The intellegence and tact stories of the Senators being able to excel in a small market did not exist anymore, now we talk about billboards and fired management.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Pierre is one of the biggest Pens and Bruins homer there is. Shit clouds his judgment.

Listen to his garbage takes last year when the Pens were losing games to the Sens in round 3. He was losing his mind, making up excuses about how the hotel was far from the rink or some shit. I usually tune out when he's speaking about those 2 teams because he just sounds like homer.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
No throwback Thursday on the drive this week? I am dissapoint. Did Janne Laukannen cancel at the last minute?

I’ve been really enjoying those segments. I hope they keep doing them.

I've mentioned this a few times on air and social media. The Throwback Thursday was a trial run for March/April to test the feedback. It was tremendous and overwhelming. As a result, I'll be bringing this back in the fall during hockey season. I felt like there could be a case of exhaustion if we're doing this 52 weeks/year. So I'm going to bring this in as a regular segment during Sens season and we'll see where it takes us.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Buckle up! Would love if Ian would call him out about his comments on the media coverage of the team, but I am sure that the pre-scripted questions have already been hand delivered and rehearsed.

I wonder if Simmer will be locked away in a closet again while Ian conducts the interview?

Once again Chezz, you never fail to disappoint on this thread. That you think my questions are pre-scripted and rehearsed speaks more about your lack of knowledge of the media industry than it does my journalistic integrity.

If you want to hear me asking Dorion directly about the media coverage of the team, go back to his season-ending press conference on April 12th and listen to me asking him point blank, "There is a lack of respect towards the media from the organization. My question is, how would you like a team that finished in 30th place to be covered by the media?"

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Hey gang,

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but wanted to once again reach out and thank everybody who takes the time to listen to our show on TSN 1200. I've mentioned in the past that I would like to drop by and sometimes give everyone a little preview of what to expect on our show that day.

So today, I'm going with a no-guest format. I sometimes feel like by booking guests, it causes the show to lose flow/rhythm and forces us to talk about a certain topic at a certain time. If we're having a great discussion about something, I sometimes resent the fact that we have a pre-booked guest for the next segment - which disrupts our flow. My rationale is that we can create and foster good conversations and topics on our own.....and try and elicit response from our listeners.

Any way, here's what we're aiming to do today. This is the outline I send off to Simmer and our producer each day, to give them a sense of what we should be hitting on:

NHL TOPICS:
Caps-Pens Game 4 tonight. Surprised the league handed out a 3-game suspension to Tom Wilson for that hit on Aston-Reese? Was that similar to Gryba on Eller - where the catastrophic nature of the injury caused the suspension?

Also, some Caps players -- and Barry Trotz -- are claiming that perhaps Sidney Crosby spit on Evgeni Kuznetsov in Game 3. Video does look suspicious to say the least. Any chance Crsoby spit at him? https://deadspin.com/the-capitals-p...ter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Predators-Jets have a Game 4 tonight. Can Nashville rebound after their collapse in Game 3? Are you surprised that both Rinne/Hellebuyck have been this vulnerable so far?

Which one of last year's Stanley Cup Finalists - Pittsburgh or Nashville - do you have more faith in to come back and win their series?

Now do the Boston Bruins look a little tired to you? And does Tampa's rested legs give them an advantage now? How cool was it seeing Pedro Martinez and Bobby Orr getting the crowd fired up last night?

San Jose responds with a 4-0 shutout win over Vegas. Can you get a handle on that series at all?

Canadian Senator bemoans how Americans have been able to change hockey jargon & terminology over the years. And he's upset about it. Does this really warrant the time of our politicians? Canadian senator blames American commentators for ruining hockey with "odious" slang terms

Turns out the Chicago Blackhawks were the ones who were actually closest to winning the Rasmus Dahlin sweepstakes. Wouldn't fans have been really upset if Chicago won the draft lottery? The Chicago Blackhawks were oh-so-close to winning the NHL Draft Lottery

What do you think of both Sedins being combined into one nomination for the King Clancy award - along with PK Subban/Jason Zucker of the Wild. Is there any way the Sedins don't win this thing?

NBA TOPICS:

Here we go, Game 2 of Raptors-Cavs goes tonight. First of all, what do you think about the 6pm start time of this game? Do you wish NHL staggered its start times like the NBA?

This might be hyperbole, but does the entire future/legacy of Demar Derozan, Kyle Lowry & Dwane Casey rest on this game tonight? There's no way the Raptors can lose this game and win the series, right?

Any chance you think Drake won't be sitting courtside tonight? Apparently, the NBA has told Drake they would appreciate if he was a little more chill during the games.

Interesting note from Bill Simmons podcast - Cavs reporter Brian Windhorst says the Cavs have a $100 internal fine for any player who bites on a Demar Derozan pump fake.

Charles Barkley issues an apology last night -- sort of -- to Draymond Green for his comments made on Tuesday night.

MLB TOPICS:

Sammy Sosa conducts rare interview about his relationship with the Cubs. Issues a half-apology for PED use and says he wants to come back to Wrigley now for the fans. Sammy Sosa apologized to the Cubs for using PEDs — sort of

Albert Pujols sitting just two hits shy of 3,000. Are you suspicious of his career numbers and possible PED use?
Pujols is one of the first post-PED era superstars.

James Paxton sets Canadian record for most strikeouts in a game with 16 -- but his Mariners still manage to lose. James Paxton sets MLB record for strikeouts (16) by a Canadian pitcher, Mariners proceed to blow game like a bunch of jerks

MISC TOPICS:
CFL Draft goes today. This event never seems to get any traction or hype. Should fans/media be more invested in the draft? Good primer on the draft here: https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/02/primer-need-know-2018-cfl-draft/

FIFA considering a mini, 8-team World Cup to be played every two years. FIFA president Infantino proposes a new mini World Cup called the 'Final 8': Four things to know

CONTROVERSY OR NONTROVERSY:
Sharks fans boo portion of anthem that includes the word "night" -- leading to anthem singer messing up next line. Is it OK for fans to boo the national anthem at any point -- even if it's to make fun of the other team?
https://www.bardown.com/cmlink/shar...t-leading-singer-to-botch-next-line-1.1075046

ON THIS DATE SPORTS HISTORY:

1936 - Joe DiMaggio collects 3 hits in his MLB debut for the Yankees
1969 - Richard Nixon becomes first sitting US president to attend the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs
1980 - Fergie Jenkins becomes the 4th pitcher to win 100 games in both the AL and NL

LEFTOVER FIVE ON THE DRIVE:

High school baseball coach being sued for telling player to slide. A high school baseball coach is getting sued for telling a kid to slide

Yoenis Cespedes' necklace breaks while he's going to second base for a double - sending tiny diamonds all over the place. https://www.bardown.com/yoenis-cespedes-chain-broke-and-diamonds-went-all-over-the-infield-1.1074727

Former Redskins tackle signs as free agent with NY Giants -- and takes parting shot at Washington by saying it's logo is racist.
https://deadspin.com/former-washing...tter&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter

Writer takes up poker to start research for a book on the subject, but she's won so much money that now the book project is on hold. https://deadspin.com/writer-picks-u...ter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Lebron James' investment in Liverpool has increased in value five-fold since he purchased a small stake in the team in 2011. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23389022/liverpool-advancing-uefa-champions-le

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I've mentioned this a few times on air and social media. The Throwback Thursday was a trial run for March/April to test the feedback. It was tremendous and overwhelming. As a result, I'll be bringing this back in the fall during hockey season. I felt like there could be a case of exhaustion if we're doing this 52 weeks/year. So I'm going to bring this in as a regular segment during Sens season and we'll see where it takes us.

Ahh ok, I didn’t realize that Ian. Love the segment. It’s great to hear from some of the old Sens players. Thanks for doing it!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Ian, thanks for that comprehensive overview. It is appreciated and I'll be sure to toast you with some white wine and chicken with broccoli as I prepare it shortly.
I would be wary of too much Throwback Thursday. If the Senators perform well next year no one will really care about this as it will be all about the team's performance. I feel this is a segment that works only when the team is in the doldrums because we miss hearing about Vanner or whomever. While it is a fun segment, I don't really want to hear this every week. I already started tuning out recently, and I'd really rather have an overview segment of what's going on the league (which you already do), or maybe a segment on the Fury or whatever (I loved hearing the Fury in the morning slot earlier!), though I realize there's already a show on football on Mondays.

Reactions: Radiogirl

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Ian,

Thank you so much for sharing a bit of all your hard work that goes on behind the scene. You do a wonderful job putting the show together and make Simmer look better than he deserves.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ian,

Thank you so much for sharing a bit of all your hard work that goes on behind the scene. You do a wonderful job putting the show together and make Simmer look better than he deserves.

Ok,all you ever do is bash Simmer. Do you have anything else to contribute?

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I know Ottawa is more of a honky tonk town but I listen to the radio all weekend and all I hear are 90's rap instrumentals. We still play 80's rock. lol

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
70s, 80s and 90s rock is awesome. And I'm pretty sure they have classic rockstations in every city in the country
I know, I shold have been more clear. I am talking specifically about the sports shows that are in the US and and the way our city sounds. Even Toronto and Montreal music is newer on TSN stations. The NHL/CFL production in Canada is so Nickleback. The NBA is all sweet beats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad