The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The few calls that I listened to on the way home today were all against the billboards. "Put Up or Shut Up" seemed to be the current theme as they thought fans should buy tickets rather than put up billboards especially if they want to keep Karlsson here.
The few calls I've heard today were from long time did hard Sens fans who were also long time season ticket holders who were not renewing, contemplating not renewing or knew other STHs who weren't.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
This board is sick.

So many posters are so stuck on a single position with the team and fail to even try and understand someone else's point of view. And it's a shame because I think the majority of people who follow sens HF all want the same thing, which is by and large the craziest part of it all. We wouldn't follow this board a single bit if we didnt feel emotionally involved with the team, so why argue against each other so much? It's truly a shame that a lot of us view this board as some of the most hardcore fans but become so divasive on the smallest matter of subjects.

It's just disappointing that amidst all of the turmoil, the biggest fans have turned against themselves. It's almost worse or worse than how we perceive the actually leaders of the team are running the organization.

@alucardtnouc, do you really think sensung wants the sens to succeed more than you? Same for you @Sensung. @Chezzz, do you really think Mendes wants to paint some different view of the senators through tsn1200 so much differently than you? We all want them to succeed, it's obvious. Sorry if I seem like I'm on some crazy high horse, but the reality is we're all people with slightly differing opinions. Let's not get so f***ing worked up here.

I support the team, I support the idea behind the billboard, I support the nay sayers and the people who understand Melnyk is doing what he can (almost every person who is labelled as a Melnyk supporter in this forum says they don't actually like the guy) . There are extremists on both sides. The last thing this forum needs with these billboards is to have to label yourself as a billboard supporter or not.

Last edited:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
The few calls I've heard today were from long time did hard Sens fans who were also long time season ticket holders who were not renewing, contemplating not renewing or knew other STHs who weren't.
I heard those too....slightly differently though...

It started with almost all saying they were against the billboard idea and they were instead choosing to speak with their wallets and were especially concerned about Karlsson leaving. I am concerned as well and the Sens need to spend here.

I really haven't heard many applauding the billboard idea.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This board is sick.

So many posters are so stuck on a single position with the team and fail to even try and understand someone else's point of view. And it's a shame because I think the majority of people who follow sens HF all want the same thing, which is by and large the craziest part of it all. We wouldn't follow this board a single bit if we didnt feel emotionally involved with the team, so why argue against each other so much? It's truly a shame that a lot of us view this board as some of the most hardcore fans but become so divasive on the smallest matter of subjects.

It's just disappointing that amidst all of the turmoil, the biggest fans have turned against themselves. It's almost worse or worse than how we perceive the actually leaders of the team are running the organization.

@alucardtnouc, do you really think sensung wants the sens to succeed more than you? Same for you @Sensung. @Chezzz, do you really think Mendes wants to paint some different view of the senators through tsn1200 so much differently than you? We all want them to succeed, it's obvious. Sorry if I seem like I'm on some crazy high horse, but the reality is we're all people with slightly differing opinions. Let's not get so ****ing worked up here.

I support the team, I support the idea behind the billboard, I support the nay sayers and the people who understand Melnyk is doing what he can (almost every person who is labelled as a Melnyk supporter in this forum says they don't actually like the guy) . There are extremists on both sides. The last thing this forum needs with these billboards is to have to label yourself as a billboard supporter or not.
Overall I agree with your post and have been trying to tone down my approach.

You are off base with the team1200 and Ian Mendez take in relation to me. If you go back and look.at my posting in that thread you'll see nothing but praise for Ian's work on all subjects.

Here is my most recent post on the subject.
Ian,

Many here appreciate your professionalism. Thanks for providing a platform for people to discuss this initiative and keep up the great work.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Not yesterday but boy did he ever this morning. He is really quite out of touch with the fanbase, he is actually embarrassing himself yet again.
Is his job to speak for the fan base, or speak for himself (all the while knowing that certain divisive opinions can actually lead MORE people to listen, not less)?

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Same for you @Sensung. @Chezzz, do you really think Mendes wants to paint some different view of the senators through tsn1200 so much differently than you? We all want them to succeed, it's obvious. Sorry if I seem like I'm on some crazy high horse, but the reality is we're all people with slightly differing opinions. Let's not get so ****ing worked up here.

Literally the last post I had with the word Mendes in it:

As much as I am hard on the station, the one constant and only bright spot is Mendes. Simmer has been better for sure, but take him away from Mendes and he reverts to his old self.

I honestly didn't believe that the station would let the Drive go so deep into the conversation, and I applaud Ian for doing so. The way Ian approached the topic yesterday on the Drive was fantastic, he let callers share opinions and discuss their feelings on the owner over multiple segments without any prejudice.

The way TGOR approached the subject this morning was embarrassing. I am paraphrasing here, but it was mostly like "This is my opinion, everyone who has a different opinion is wrong and all 400 of you who wanted this billboard are going to be the reason EK leaves". They then took one caller who shared their opinion and moved along. At least JR sort of sat on the fence, but Warne was his usual self. The guy who proclaims to be the biggest Alfie fan out there is now publicly supporting the man who drove Alfie out of the organization TWICE.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Is his job to speak for the fan base, or speak for himself (all the while knowing that certain divisive opinions can actually lead MORE people to listen, not less)?

I would agree with this to a certain point. If both hosts shared a different view on the topic and had a debate on the subject where they both actually presented arguments for each side, then we would have a good radio show. The fact that both guys always seem to share the same opinion on how the organization is run doesn't make for good conversations. I get that his job isn't to speak for the fanbase, his job is to know the facts on the subject and present his educated opinion is what people want to hear. The fact that both hosts this morning stated that this is all about Karlsson resigning shows that they are very unaware.

I know they are reading, so maybe check out melnykout.ca and read the section that says "Our Goal", then be critical about the message if you chose to be.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Winner.

Radio is in the midst of the "hot takes" phase. It's all about creating a stir and getting people to tune in.....and exactly why my AM dial has been off for a number of years. Doesn't matter if it's that Lowel (sp?) Green guy on CFRA, or an irritating ass like Jim Rome on 1200...after awhile, it's all just angry background noise. No sense listening to that sort of thing. Not good for the nerves.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I find it hilarious that I don't do enough to appease some of you. Just spent an hour at the PEAK part of the show today (4:35pm - 5:35pm) talking about this MelnykOut billboard story, taking calls and not censoring anybody. And yet, the questions are out there, "They are going to 'touch on this? Lol."

"Why did they wait 2.5 hours to bring this up."

As usual, it's a no-win proposition for many of you on here.
Hey man, I just said I was surprised you waited that long. I thought it would be a lead story. It makes sense when you explain the peak hour thing. A simple explanation was all I needed.

I'm on your side here, as most posters on here are. I praised you guys in the previous post. No need to get snippy!

Last edited:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Agree @DrunkUncleDenis

@ianmendes you guys did a great job with it yesterday, and having Spencer on this Wednesday is fantastic, as has been all your segments with the local bloggers. When you explained why you waited until rush hour, it makes total sense. You guys, as always don't shy away from the most important subjects.

The frustration lies with the fact that we heard nothing from the previous shows. I mean this was being covered by cfra, 1310, the Citizen, the Sun, Tim and Sid, Bob McCown, the CBC, Hockey Night in Canada, NBC, the National Post and on and on and on, and we had to wait until your show to get any type of coverage on the subject whatsoever. It's pretty sad for our own local sports radio station to ignore one of the biggest stories in the NHL, about the Ottawa Senators.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
Overall I agree with your post and have been trying to tone down my approach.

You are off base with the team1200 and Ian Mendez take in relation to me. If you go back and look.at my posting in that thread you'll see nothing but praise for Ian's work on all subjects.

I meant nothing with respect to your position on tsn1200. The banter in this thread led me to post more globally on the ridiculous tension this board is experiencing.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
Literally the last post I had with the word Mendes in it:

As much as I am hard on the station, the one constant and only bright spot is Mendes. Simmer has been better for sure, but take him away from Mendes and he reverts to his old self.

I honestly didn't believe that the station would let the Drive go so deep into the conversation, and I applaud Ian for doing so. The way Ian approached the topic yesterday on the Drive was fantastic, he let callers share opinions and discuss their feelings on the owner over multiple segments without any prejudice.

The way TGOR approached the subject this morning was embarrassing. I am paraphrasing here, but it was mostly like "This is my opinion, everyone who has a different opinion is wrong and all 400 of you who wanted this billboard are going to be the reason EK leaves". They then took one caller who shared their opinion and moved along. At least JR sort of sat on the fence, but Warne was his usual self. The guy who proclaims to be the biggest Alfie fan out there is now publicly supporting the man who drove Alfie out of the organization TWICE.

Your last post would be fine if it wasn't a rebuttal for your comments before you even took the content in. How can you say in this thread, muliple times, that you view the drive as better than TGOR, but than judge both programs under the same light? If you previously appreciated the content that the program offers, why mouth off with banter before even listening? It's contradicting.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I meant nothing with respect to your position on tsn1200. The banter in this thread led me to post more globally on the ridiculous tension this board is experiencing.
Ok, I just found it weird that you mentioned me in that context.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Your last post would be fine if it wasn't a rebuttal for your comments before you even took the content in. How can you say in this thread, muliple times, that you view the drive as better than TGOR, but than judge both programs under the same light? If you previously appreciated the content that the program offers, why mouth off with banter before even listening? It's contradicting.

Because the guy that hosts TGOR is the same guy that runs the station. If the mandate from JR is to keep quiet on certain things, it would generally apply to every other show. Yesterday both TGOR and In the Box strayed far far away from the "billboard" discussion, while every other news outlet in North America was talking about it. It was very apparent that the station was doing their best to ignore the situation, or it appeared as though they were asked to ignore the situation. That being said, I assumed the Drive would have been asked to do the same and until 4:30, it seemed as though that would be the case. I was wrong.

Ian dove in head first and kept the conversation going longer than he had to and probably longer than JR wanted him to and now the rest of the station is forced to do the same.

Once again, I applaud Ian for doing what the other hosts on the station are so afraid to do and that's to discuss the actual problems with this organization

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
Because the guy that hosts TGOR is the same guy that runs the station. If the mandate from JR is to keep quiet on certain things, it would generally apply to every other show. Yesterday both TGOR and In the Box strayed far far away from the "billboard" discussion, while every other news outlet in North America was talking about it. It was very apparent that the station was doing their best to ignore the situation, or it appeared as though they were asked to ignore the situation. That being said, I assumed the Drive would have been asked to do the same and until 4:30, it seemed as though that would be the case. I was wrong.

Ian dove in head first and kept the conversation going longer than he had to and probably longer than JR wanted him to and now the rest of the station is forced to do the same.

Once again, I applaud Ian for doing what the other hosts on the station are so afraid to do and that's to discuss the actual problems with this organization

You're proving my point re: colouring the program under the same brush as the station. The content from these programs differ more than you would like to admit and you are assuming there's some mandate when you don't know if that's the case at all. Perhaps people have their own opinions on what they value covering?

The thought that The Drive went in to the billboard story more than JR would have liked is pure conjecture.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Hey man, I just said I was surprised you waited that long. I thought it would be a lead story. It makes sense when you explain the peak hour thing. A simple explanation was all I needed.

I'm on your side here, as most posters on here are. I praised you guys in the previous post. No need to get snippy!

I hope everyone can appreciate the irony of someone telling me not to get snippy on an HF Boards thread.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Billboards generated discussion, organization reacted by scheduling a conference call with season ticket holders.

How does JR react... TGOR goes silent on the subject, even after Warne's ridiculous hot takes on Twitter yesterday morning.

So yes, as the poster above said, I shouldn't be colouring each program under the same brush as the station. Mendes seems to have a fantastic pulse on the fanbase, while TGOR as mentioned many many times is completely lost.

Looking forward to hearing Ian's discussion with Spencer Callahan today.

Last edited:

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Just as a heads-up for what The Drive will look like today:

2:30pm - 3:30pm - Spencer Callaghan in studio to talk about his MelnykOut billboard campaign and what he's hoping to accomplish

4:15pm - Pierre Lebrun

4:45pm - Brad Schlossman - he covered Christian Wolanin at the University of North Dakota and will join us to chat about what type of player/person that he is.

Thanks again to all those who take the time to listen to our station.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Billboards generated discussion, organization reacted by scheduling a conference call with season ticket holders.

How does JR react... TGOR goes silent on the subject, even after Warne's ridiculous hot takes on Twitter yesterday morning.

So yes, as the poster above said, I shouldn't be colouring each program under the same brush as the station. Mendes seems to have a fantastic pulse on the fanbase, while TGOR as mentioned many many times is completely lost.

Remember when Warne actually came on HFSens (shortly after after ian signed up IIRC) to basically yell at us, then disappeared? Good times.

Reactions: Chezzz

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Just as a heads-up for what The Drive will look like today:

2:30pm - 3:30pm - Spencer Callaghan in studio to talk about his MelnykOut billboard campaign and what he's hoping to accomplish

4:15pm - Pierre Lebrun

4:45pm - Brad Schlossman - he covered Christian Wolanin at the University of North Dakota and will join us to chat about what type of player/person that he is.

Thanks again to all those who take the time to listen to our station.

Looks like good content. Will listen.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Not to say that these billboards haven't caused discussion, because they have. I'm not sure it's the right discussions, but they are causing more of a stir than I thought.

But, these Season Ticket holder conference calls, happen every year. This isn't a new thing. I'll be surprised if any real answers come out from it.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Not to say that these billboards haven't caused discussion, because they have. I'm not sure it's the right discussions, but they are causing more of a stir than I thought.

But, these Season Ticket holder conference calls, happen every year. This isn't a new thing. I'll be surprised if any real answers come out from it.

Discussions are discussions. If Elliot Friedman is being asked about Melnyk on Vancouver radio, the billboards have certainly served their purpose.

Do they happen every year?? I feel like there are a few people I have on Twitter who are season ticket holders and they stated this this has not happened recently. Can anyone confirm?

2 days notice to me seems like something was pieced together as a reaction to "something".

Remember when Warne actually came on HFSens (shortly after after ian signed up IIRC) to basically yell at us, then disappeared? Good times.

This was hilarious TBH. I am honestly going to do my best to change my tone in this thread, but man, TGOR is just so, so bad that its really hard not to poke fun at them..

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Discussions are discussions. If Elliot Friedman is being asked about Melnyk on Vancouver radio, the billboards have certainly served their purpose.

Do they happen every year?? I feel like there are a few people I have on Twitter who are season ticket holders and they stated this this has not happened recently. Can anyone confirm?

2 days notice to me seems like something was pieced together as a reaction to "something".

I cancelled my season's last year, so I'm not sure if they had one last year or not, but they for sure had one the year before. I think it used to happen in the summer if I remember correctly however.

I agree it's causing discussions, as much as I think it's missing the mark a bit and all, it's a good thing in the grand scheme. The end goal is the same for everyone (well, almost everyone.. LOL), some of us just disagree a bit on how to get there.

Reactions: Sensung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad