The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Gord Wilson is a really really great human being, if you ever had the chance to spend some time with him, great family man and just loves hockey, you could talk to him all day about hockey and he would never stop you.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Was it just me, or did JR and Warne almost seem giddy and excited about the possibility of a Karlsson trade this morning?? I'm not saying the need to be depressed or anything, they just seemed so happy that this is actually going to happen. Again, understand the pulse of the fanbase, the fanbase is not happy about this, so IMO, don't present yourselves that way.

Maybe I am just blinded by my hatred of TGOR. :huh:

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Was it just me, or did JR and Warne almost seem giddy and excited about the possibility of a Karlsson trade this morning?? I'm not saying the need to be depressed or anything, they just seemed so happy that this is actually going to happen. Again, understand the pulse of the fanbase, the fanbase is not happy about this, so IMO, don't present yourselves that way.

Maybe I am just blinded by my hatred of TGOR. :huh:

It's your bias.

Hell, Warne went on about how Melnyk can win back the fanbase by re-signing Karlsson and how he absolutely should do so.

Reactions: Chezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's your bias.

Hell, Warne went on about how Melnyk can win back the fanbase by re-signing Karlsson and how he absolutely should do so.

I actually didn't think Warne was all that bad, it was more JR. Warne's hard-stance on EK at the deadline was trade him at all costs, so seems like he changed his tune completely.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The balls from Chris Stevenson on that radio call this morning is what is desperately needed on this station. Great stuff.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The balls from Chris Stevenson on that radio call this morning is what is desperately needed on this station. Great stuff.

Random thoughts about the interview:

1) Interesting how Warne has pulled a 180 and seems to have completely changed his tune on Karlsson from around the trade deadline
2) JR's silence...lol. Barely spoke a word, almost like he isn't "allowed to", but he strongly insists that he has his own opinion.

Love that some members of the media are starting to turn the corner, but unfortunately, these articles by Stevenson are coming just a few months too late.

Last edited:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Essentially reiterated what his column from this morning already said, to the notion of "If you can't resign a franchise player in his prime, then why are you in this business for?"
Great to hear.

Guess writing for The Athletic gets him the freedom to call Melnyk out.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Essentially reiterated what his column from this morning already said, to the notion of "If you can't resign a franchise player in his prime, then why are you in this business for?"

The same question we have all been asking, will check his segment out

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I’d be happy to listen, but everytime I hear him on the radio I get sleepy.

Yeah same, his pre game stuff always gets me dozing off. Hes a much better writer, especially at The Athletic where it seems like the chains were broken off, than he is a radio person. Just doesn't have the voice or the enthusiasm for it I guess.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Random thoughts about the interview:

1) Interesting how Warne has pulled a 180 and seems to have completely changed his tune on Karlsson from around the trade deadline
2) JR's silence...lol. Barely spoke a word, almost like he isn't "allowed to", but he strongly insists that he has his own opinion.

Love that some members of the media are starting to turn the corner, but unfortunately, these articles by Stevenson are coming just a few months too late.

It's kind of like they switched roles or something. This station is very strange.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I actually didn't think Warne was all that bad, it was more JR. Warne's hard-stance on EK at the deadline was trade him at all costs, so seems like he changed his tune completely.

Meh. It's boring radio if everyone agrees on things. Some guys will take a contrary stance just to stir the pot a bit.

Reactions: Smash88

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah same, his pre game stuff always gets me dozing off. Hes a much better writer, especially at The Athletic where it seems like the chains were broken off, than he is a radio person. Just doesn't have the voice or the enthusiasm for it I guess.

A little OT, but does anyone here have a subscription to The Athletic? I've read a few of their freebie articles, and have been really impressed, but haven't gotten a subscription. Are they as good as their promoted articles suggest?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I heard Simmer say "Scalpers are people too" today on the radio, and I have decided that the next Sens Fan fundraising project should be to raise money so we can send Shawn Simpson on an all-expenses-paid vacation to the sunny beaches of The Sun, courtesy of a rocket and enough fuel that we don't have to worry about what happens if he misses his target.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
A little OT, but does anyone here have a subscription to The Athletic? I've read a few of their freebie articles, and have been really impressed, but haven't gotten a subscription. Are they as good as their promoted articles suggest?

I grabbed a subscription during one of their specials and I think it's well worth it. It was Pierre Lebrun that put me over the edge but there's a lot of good stuff on there. It's definitely better if you're from a major market (Toronto or Montreal) as there's that much more content and teams covered, but if you're a general sports fan you will find stuff of interest. I'm happy to pay for quality content. I hope their business model works out for them.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So are we entering a new era of “commitment to scouting and development” or are we just entering our “the owner won’t pay for Superstars” era??

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad