The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mendes just tweeted that Jacques Martin will be the guest this week. Should be a good interview.

Mendes has JM on his Mount Rushmore which is hard to argue with, he provided stability and focus for a young team that needed to improve, and every player in Ottawa improved under him. Ottawa was in every game he coached.

As fa as organizational reputation, Brian McGratton is one that might deserve to be up there. Before Big BM went right down main street on Domi's face Ottawa had a reputation as a team of pushovers and soft euros, after that fight that all ended instantly, that talked evaporated. Probably no play in Sens history turned the league wide reputation of the team around more then seeing Domi going backwards from BM's punches. It changed everything.

Reactions: Smash88

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Mendes has JM on his Mount Rushmore which is hard to argue with, he provided stability and focus for a young team that needed to improve, and every player in Ottawa improved under him. Ottawa was in every game he coached.

As fa as organizational reputation, Brian McGratton is one that might deserve to be up there. Before Big BM went right down main street on Domi's face Ottawa had a reputation as a team of pushovers and soft euros, after that fight that all ended instantly, that talked evaporated. Probably no play in Sens history turned the league wide reputation of the team around more then seeing Domi going backwards from BM's punches. It changed everything.

Good point, I believe the incident has been acknowledged as you described by even the Leafs, Domi himself and other teams around the league.[/QUOTE]

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Did the team1200 even bring it up at all?

Nah, they'll just slowly blather on about how maybe trading Erik Karlsson is a good thing, and it's high time this team committed to a proper rebuild. Totally ignoring the coincidence mind you that this rebuild is to take place the moment the best player in the history of the Ottawa Senators is in his prime and needs a new contract.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I didn't hear anything on TGOR about billboards this morning (I only listened for 1.5 hours, but that was through multiple sports and news updates). I heard about it within 3 minutes of having 1310 on.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

hahahahahahaha

And this is why TSN1200 is a joke (well one of the reasons anyways).

Look, I totally get that the station doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds, but to completely ignore that this morning is unacceptable. I'm sure we won't hear much about it all today, but I'm hoping Ian and Simmer prove me wrong on the The Drive. I'll surely be listening for it.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Look, I totally get that the station doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds, but to completely ignore that this morning is unacceptable. I'm sure we won't hear much about it all today, but I'm hoping Ian and Simmer prove me wrong on the The Drive. I'll surely be listening for it.

See, this is what I don't understand, what is this organization feeding to the station? Interviews? There has been 2 Pierre Orleans interviews this season, none from Melnyk, he actually goes out of his way to provide interviews to Toronto stations than in Ottawa, no interviews from the president other when he got hired, or anyone else, what access that they are giving them that is so important to them? And what if they do bite it, what happens? Is the organization gonna go to another sports station in the city to get its message across? Who are they gonna go to? Its not like in TOR or MTL where there is so many stations covering the same team. The team needs this station as much if not more than the station needs it. I just don't get what amazing access or content that they are getting from this organization.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I heard about it during TGOR this morning. But it wasn't from the hosts, it was during their news segments (which I think are 580 CFRA clips).

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

CFRA is an affiliate of Bell media as well, yet they don't shy away from the topic.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
If you want actual reporting and some analysis for this, you are better off listening to cfra or 1310. Even though they aren't sports stations it's a relevant news story so they'll cover it.

Also, I don't expect 1200 to become a mouthpiece for #Melnykout, but holy shit I don't think it's too much to expect an afternoon dedicated to discussing the biggest fan movement in this history of this franchise, one that is making headlines in Canada and the United States. This is the biggest story surrounding the team right now, and it's absolutely pathetic how little TSN 1200 has covered it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
See, this is what I don't understand, what is this organization feeding to the station? Interviews? There has been 2 Pierre Orleans interviews this season, none from Melnyk, he actually goes out of his way to provide interviews to Toronto stations than in Ottawa, no interviews from the president other when he got hired, or anyone else, what access that they are giving them that is so important to them? And what if they do bite it, what happens? Is the organization gonna go to another sports station in the city to get its message across? Who are they gonna go to? Its not like in TOR or MTL where there is so many stations covering the same team. The team needs this station as much if not more than the station needs it. I just don't get what amazing access or content that they are getting from this organization.

The "get pucks in deep" between period sound clips and coach's response to unknown questions?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

$$$$$

Doesn't the Senators org' buy a lot of radio spots to advertise tickets and such?

If so, there's your answer.

If what people are saying in this thread is true, and there's been almost no talk of the MelnykOut billboards along with the greater discussion of what has lead to the campaign, whether there is or isn't legitimacy to the fan discontent, then it is pretty clear either these guys are incredibly out of touch with what is going on or there is some sort of directive to not touch the subject.

They don't even have to agree with the campaign or the campaign's effectiveness. But a complete lack of discussion today (if true) is shady given that it is probably the top Senators news story currently going.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
$$$$$

Doesn't the Senators org' buy a lot of radio spots to advertise tickets and such?

If so, there's your answer.

If what people are saying in this thread is true, and there's been almost no talk of the MelnykOut billboards along with the greater discussion of what has lead to the campaign, whether there is or isn't legitimacy to the fan discontent, then it is pretty clear either these guys are incredibly out of touch with what is going on or there is some sort of directive to not touch the subject.

They don't even have to agree with the campaign or the campaign's effectiveness. But a complete lack of discussion today (if true) is shady given that it is probably the top Senators news story currently going.

NBC Sports has the story up, usually grass root stories like this start out with the giant news chains and work there way back to the local stations :sarcasm:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
2:14pm; beginning of the show, Mendes brings up #MelnykOut billboards. Saying they'd love to hear fan reaction, ask fans to call in.

Atta boy, Ian.

Ian and Simmer are so much better than anything else this station has to offer its insane. It's like a completely different station when these guys are on. The Wednesday segments with local bloggers have been great as well. Credit where it's due.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

The organization buys radio spots on all Bell affiliated stations, CFRA, 93.9, Magic, etc. Each one mentioned the billboards more this morning than either guy on TGOR. TGOR is too busy always trying to get to a commercial.

2:14pm; beginning of the show, Mendes brings up #MelnykOut billboards. Saying they'd love to hear fan reaction, asks fans to call in.

As much as I am hard on the station, the one constant and only bright spot is Mendes. Simmer has been better for sure, but take him away from Mendes and he reverts to his old self.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Kinda feel like Mendes is wasting his talents at that clown show. I feel like he's exactly the guy who would dig into this and provide actual journalism, but instead he's too busy doing show prep and meeting his other obligations. We sure as heck aren't gonna get a scathing review of the organization from any of the other on-air personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->