The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I cancelled my season's last year, so I'm not sure if they had one last year or not, but they for sure had one the year before. I think it used to happen in the summer if I remember correctly however.

I agree it's causing discussions, as much as I think it's missing the mark a bit and all, it's a good thing in the grand scheme. The end goal is the same for everyone (well, almost everyone.. LOL), some of us just disagree a bit on how to get there.

It's the first one I have been invited to, I also got asked to come to a marketing focus group which I was extremely excited to attend and share my ideas however in the same call they concluded they did not have enough spots left in said group...why they called, I will never know.

That said I have voiced my displeasure to my rep both verbally and by way of a few carefully constructed correspondence e-mails over the last few months, I have no info left to provide them personally and have advised at this time will not be renewing, if things change with the direction of the team/ownership in the off season I will be right back.

Reactions: Smash88 and Sensung

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
It's the first one I have been invited to, I also got asked to come to a marketing focus group which I was extremely excited to attend and share my ideas however in the same call they concluded they did not have enough spots left in said group...why they called, I will never know.

That said I have voiced my displeasure to my rep both verbally and by way of a few carefully constructed correspondence e-mails over the last few months, I have no info left to provide them personally and have advised at this time will not be renewing, if things change with the direction of the team/ownership in the off season I will be right back.

Site is being weird today. Doesn't let me reply properly.

they definitely did it a few times while I was from 2008 to 2016.

Not sure if it was every year or not, it was always the same format, pre-screened questions, nothing really concrete and usually very vague answers.

I didn't call-in to all of them so I'm really unsure how many they have had.

I let go of my tickets for other reasons when I did, but I fully support those who are pissed and not renewing this year, I'd probably be doing the same. They have every right to be after what we did last year and then to have them cut costs further is a slap in the face.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Nope. What did he say?
This actually prompted me to find this stuff. Here's some. His verified handle is OffsideReview. Everyone get in the time capsule!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...radio-thread-4.2162061/page-13#post-128190125

I just think that his posts were just sort of patronizing to our community, and not taking our comments seriously unless it was praise. He did answer some questions honestly, but Chezzz was relentless (shocker hahaha).

I think Ian knows when he comes onto HF that there will be some mud slung, that's part of being on the Internet. But Steve had a "come at me bro" mentality, which doesn't incite positive conversation at all.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This actually prompted me to find this stuff. Here's some. His verified handle is OffsideReview. Everyone get in the time capsule!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...radio-thread-4.2162061/page-13#post-128190125

I just think that his posts were just sort of patronizing to our community, and not taking our comments seriously unless it was praise. He did answer some questions honestly, but Chezzz was relentless (shocker hahaha).

I think Ian knows when he comes onto HF that there will be some mud slung, that's part of being on the Internet. But Steve had a "come at me bro" mentality, which doesn't incite positive conversation at all.

I almost forgot about the context of why he came in here and remembered that it was probably because of me :) And it was.

He was really defensive, he actually seemed quite shocked that people thought TGOR is bad. Well news for ya Stevie, your show is bad.

Man Steve Warne gets me worked up. He is so bad at talking sports, its honestly frustrating. Denis, I am trying to be better here, then you take me for this trip down memory lane that gets me worked up again. :help:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I almost forgot about the context of why he came in here and remembered that it was probably because of me :) And it was.

He was really defensive, he actually seemed quite shocked that people thought TGOR is bad. Well news for ya Stevie, your show is bad.

Man Steve Warne gets me worked up. He is so bad at talking sports, its honestly frustrating. Denis, I am trying to be better here, then you take me for this trip down memory lane that gets me worked up again. :help:
hahaha, sorry buddy.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So great to hear Jacques Martin on the radio today. He stepped aside for a game or two to let Roger Nielsen reach the 1000 game milestone.

Best hire ever in management in Sens history it’s not even close IMO. He’s so classy and respectable and obviously a hockey genius.

I don’t think anyone knows what Guy Boucher is yet as a coach, but like Jacques Martin he’s very respectful, disciplined and has been a consistent in a horrid that’s been an emotional roller coaster from the owner, GM, players and abs. His stability and focus has been key to this season not turning into poison. Like Martin was when Ottawa needed a direction. So hoping Boucher had the success Martin had.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
JR in attack mode on twitter recently. Very butt hurt that people think he is dodging Melnyk talk (which its very obviously that he is).

Last edited:
Reactions: branch

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
J.R. should know that the ultimate way to dispel those accusations is to actually talk about the Melnyk situation. Twitter wars have never solved anything.
Can I ask what you'd like to hear? A segment per hour? How long should it go on for? A week? A month? To the end of the season? Everyday until Melnyk sells?

I know others don't share this opinion, and I know the strategies they believe can be employed, but I believe there's nothing we, as fans, can do about EM. Discussion of this is just frustrating and futile. If they want me to change the station faster than when they talk basketball, then saturate the Melnyk talk. To avoid the ad hominen, no I'm not a Melnyk defender and yes, the team would be better off with a deep pocketed owner able and willing to operate at a short term loss. He lets his mouth get the better of him and tried to single handedly sink a no-brainer good news story for his product. (Shouldn't have to this disclaimer).

As far as TGOR, they spent a number of segments on Tuesday morning discussing and reading texts and emails on the topic. Seemed pretty balanced, and got the focus it deserves (I didn't listen to the whole show). Ian and Simmer did a deep dive this week, and will give callers lots of space to complain about ownership. I don't often listen to Steve and Todd, so I don't know if they touched on it at all.

I know this is a huge, emotional HFSens issue, and may be a frequent point of conversation in some real world circles, but I think expecting more from the local station on this topic than they gave this week is very wishful thinking.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I have a hard enough time clicking on the #MelnykOut thread constantly.

Selfishly, at this point, I'd hate to hear about it for hours on the radio.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I have a hard enough time clicking on the #MelnykOut thread constantly.

I get that it's depressing, but it's arguably the biggest news story surrounding the Senators right now and the station spends about 90% of the time talking about the Sens anyways. I'd much rather tune in for some actual frank #MelnykOut discussion than anything about the inconsequential games or the inconsequential call-up of guys like McCormick or O'Brien.

I'd get the argument if the station was constantly covering other sports like Tiger's comeback or the Raptors great season or whatever. But if they are gonna talk Sens anyways, it's difficult to ignore the elephant in the room.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Can I ask what you'd like to hear? A segment per hour? How long should it go on for? A week? A month? To the end of the season? Everyday until Melnyk sells?

Acknowledgement that there is a problem and perhaps a discussion on said problem, that's what we want to hear. Mendes approached it perfectly, TGOR ignored it.

This isn't specific to the #MelnykOut campaign, this is a TGOR specific problem. I used to think it was a station wide problem, but JR and Warne completely ignoring it like the campaign didn't exist, only strengthens the belief that they hide from anything confrontational about the Sens, which is understandable, but just don't be so transparent.

If TGOR spent any time whatsoever on other sports, maybe this wouldn't be as big of an issue, but instead of talking about the only news worthy Sens issue, they start talking about Warne's backyard or his latest TV binge. From listening to the station would anyone know that the MLB season starts next weekend, or do we know more about Steve's cat?

As far as TGOR, they spent a number of segments on Tuesday morning discussing and reading texts and emails on the topic.

A number of segments?? One segment where Warne mouths off for 10 minutes doesn't really count. Especially when his "hot takes" on the subject were completely out of line and it was very apparent he did not even really understand what the campaign was all about.

This I do agree with, no need for a 24/7 Melnyk channel, but to completely ignore it doesn't look good on them.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I get that it's depressing, but it's arguably the biggest news story surrounding the Senators right now and the station spends about 90% of the time talking about the Sens anyways. I'd much rather tune in for some actual frank #MelnykOut discussion than anything about the inconsequential games or the inconsequential call-up of guys like McCormick or O'Brien.

I'd get the argument if the station was constantly covering other sports like Tiger's comeback or the Raptors great season or whatever. But if they are gonna talk Sens anyways, it's difficult to ignore the elephant in the room.
100% agree. But that's why I wrote selfishly haha.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Acknowledgement that there is a problem and perhaps a discussion on said problem, that's what we want to hear. Mendes approached it perfectly, TGOR ignored it.

This isn't specific to the #MelnykOut campaign, this is a TGOR specific problem. I used to think it was a station wide problem, but JR and Warne completely ignoring it like the campaign didn't exist, only strengthens the belief that they hide from anything confrontational about the Sens, which is understandable, but just don't be so transparent.

If TGOR spent any time whatsoever on other sports, maybe this wouldn't be as big of an issue, but instead of talking about the only news worthy Sens issue, they start talking about Warne's backyard or his latest TV binge. From listening to the station would anyone know that the MLB season starts next weekend, or do we know more about Steve's cat?
I guess this goes back to what TGOR is trying to be and what one's expectations are out of that program. I've been listening since the OSR days, and TGOR has never been about hard hitting sports talk. It's always been about goofing off and mixing in some sports (generally Sens and Renegades/RedBlacks) talk. I don't think it's in their mandate or in their own best interests to start taking calls from fans tired of management, or serve as a sounding board for people to complain about the owner. In fact, they haven't really taken calls at all since the 5:45 Mike and Sleepy Jeff days. No matter how important it seems, the billboards aren't really big enough to get them to derail and reformat their entire program. Ian's show is actually more appropriate for that. He's got the skills and temperament to treat it properly. And I'm sure they already knew his plans for that afternoon.

A number of segments?? One segment where Warne mouths off for 10 minutes doesn't really count. Especially when his "hot takes" on the subject were completely out of line and it was very apparent he did not even really understand what the campaign was all about.
I don't want to get into pulling timestamps out of the podcast, but I know that they talked about it sometime during the 6:00 hour, and between 8:30 and 9:00, because that's when I was listening. After all these years, knowing the rhythm of the show, I'm sure they brought it up during a segment in each hour. I didn't hear Pierre that morning, so I don't know if they asked for his thoughts. Take some calls, read some texts, offer your own takes. For TGOR, that's enough.

And, not to defend Warne, but just because you don't agree with his 'hot take', doesn't mean you can count it as the show ignoring #MelnykOut

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Had to laugh when JR stated this morning that Don Cherry's takes on Coach's Corner has lacked originality for years. Could the same thing be said about TGOR?

Reactions: Inkling and Chezzz

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Had to laugh when JR stated this morning that Don Cherry's takes on Coach's Corner has lacked originality for years. Could the same thing be said about TGOR?
Yea, but TGOR has a long way to go before being senile and just generally yelling offensive takes.

(insert "not as long as you think" retort here..)

Reactions: pzeeman

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yea, but TGOR has a long way to go before being senile and just generally yelling offensive takes.

(insert "not as long as you think" retort here..)

I was gonna say they're already there, haha. Although I guess the offensive takes part has gone down tenfold since JJ left the show :laugh:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
The Senators put everyone in the holiday inn select in Kanata at that point. And opposing teams stayed there too.

I worked there back then lol. I met a bunch of Senators at that point, mostly traded players and callups. I have an good story about Schubert that probably can't be posted here. Musicians would always stay there too, pretty much anybody who came to town to do something at the Corel Center. Its not an elite hotel, but its a nice hotel. If someone is upset about staying there for a few months for free . . . i dunno what they expect.

Cool story. Good for you!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Listening to the pregame show . . . Dean Brown has been talking for like 7 minutes straight without anyone else getting a word in lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia