The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The 1200 radio machine doing a pretty good on during this tank.

But now comes the hard part, what are we actually as a team? I think the only answer anyone can come up with is the Ottawa Senators are a direct sum Erik Karlsson's elite talent and leadership - apart from that we are nothing.

We like to think we have pieces, but besides Stone, what pieces? Why aren't those pieces leading, why aren't they creating change?

Alfie took the soul of this team and left with it. It hasn't been replaced. Why? What intangible elements does a hockey team need to be good, and then grow to be great, we saw that here in Ottawa under Martin's Sens - what attitudes and temperaments were on that team that allowed them to continue to grow? We need those qualities. That's our 1st step.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
JJ Clarke was HAMMERED on The Drive today. That was some Ron Burgundy **** lol.

One of the most bizarre, awkward radio spots I have ever heard on the station and there has been a lot. It was sort of entertaining in a trainwreck kind of way. Apparently he will do a spot on the show every day this week, something to look forward to I guess. Much better than the Marcotte garbage segment.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
One of the most bizarre, awkward radio spots I have ever heard on the station and there has been a lot. It was sort of entertaining in a trainwreck kind of way. Apparently he will do a spot on the show every day this week, something to look forward to I guess. Much better than the Marcotte garbage segment.

Missed it, any specific highlights?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Just lots of slurring and nonsense. He was asked what JJ stood for and he said "Just Joking". It was quite entertaining but completely pointless. No reason for the station to waste a full segment on weather for the outdoor game when people can see it for themselves on the front of their phones. He seemed heavily sedated.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Just lots of slurring and nonsense. He was asked what JJ stood for and he said "Just Joking". It was quite entertaining but completely pointless. No reason for the station to waste a full segment on weather for the outdoor game when people can see it for themselves on the front of their phones. He seemed heavily sedated.

Weird, the boys from the radio were bringing it on twitter last night and being rightly critical of the team, simmer was teeing off and I enjoyed it as he was spot on!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The 1200 radio machine doing a pretty good on during this tank.

But now comes the hard part, what are we actually as a team? I think the only answer anyone can come up with is the Ottawa Senators are a direct sum Erik Karlsson's elite talent and leadership - apart from that we are nothing.

We like to think we have pieces, but besides Stone, what pieces? Why aren't those pieces leading, why aren't they creating change?

Alfie took the soul of this team and left with it. It hasn't been replaced. Why? What intangible elements does a hockey team need to be good, and then grow to be great, we saw that here in Ottawa under Martin's Sens - what attitudes and temperaments were on that team that allowed them to continue to grow? We need those qualities. That's our 1st step.

Since Alfie left the team, the Senators made it to Game 7 of Round 3.

I think there was a lot of heart and soul in last year's performance.

I'm not sure where it is this year.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Gone with Turris and Methot.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

That was Erik Karlsson being elite and dragging a team along - who for them this season has impacted a game for a win besides Stone? Where’s Ryan, Phaneuf, Duch, Brad’s, Hoffman, JG, Andy, Condon?

Why can’t a Single player beyond EK and Stone raise their game to a winning level?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That was Erik Karlsson being elite and dragging a team along - who for them this season has impacted a game for a win besides Stone? Where’s Ryan, Phaneuf, Duch, Brad’s, Hoffman, JG, Andy, Condon?

It wasn't just Erik Karlsson. The whole team played well.

Why can’t a Single player beyond EK and Stone raise their game to a winning level?

That's the big question this season.

I just think it's disingenuous to throw last season's playoff under the bus.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Is this still the "Sports Radio" thread?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

People tend to look at Alfie as some legend, and in many ways he was. But let's not forget 2007-2008 which feels like this year. He couldn't do anything to stop it, with a young Spezza and Heatley and everyone else...

Good point by Todd White as usual, and when a former NHLer sounds flabbergasted, you know things are bad...

Reactions: NyQuil

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Weird, the boys from the radio were bringing it on twitter last night and being rightly critical of the team, simmer was teeing off and I enjoyed it as he was spot on!

I was only able to listen to the whole 7:00 hour, so really, only one brief segment where they talked Sens and Simmer seemed to have really toned down from what he was bringing on Twitter last night. I was hoping for the same type of fire, but maybe I missed it.

Steve Lloyd was also very critical last night on Twitter, I was curious to see if that translated to his show today or was he back being Dorion's biggest cheerleader?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I was only able to listen to the whole 7:00 hour, so really, only one brief segment where they talked Sens and Simmer seemed to have really toned down from what he was bringing on Twitter last night. I was hoping for the same type of fire, but maybe I missed it.

Steve Lloyd was also very critical last night on Twitter, I was curious to see if that translated to his show today or was he back being Dorion's biggest cheerleader?

Assume they were told to tone it down last night and we know the local radio shows unfortunately are unable to be overly critical

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I gotta say, with all the issues I have with the station (mostly TGOR) it really seems like Simmer is really stepping up to the plate in the past few months. Seems like he has much more of a professional approach lately. Props to Mendes for helping him down this road, but props to Simmer himself for wanting to be better and actually putting in the work to make himself better.

If he wants to stand out and make a name for himself, going against the grain and being different than the other hosts on the station is a fantastic way to do it. Lloyd, White, Warne and JR always seem to echo basically the exact same thoughts, Simmer coming with a very different POV is refreshing and it makes he stand out above the others.

Simmer needs to get back to being paired with Mendes. His two week spot on TGOR has really hurt the progress he had been making with Ian. Back to run on sentences that make absolutely no sense whatsoever with random giggling all over the place. It was noticeable with JR, but much worse now with Warne.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
People tend to look at Alfie as some legend, and in many ways he was. But let's not forget 2007-2008 which feels like this year. He couldn't do anything to stop it, with a young Spezza and Heatley and everyone else...

Good point by Todd White as usual, and when a former NHLer sounds flabbergasted, you know things are bad...
Is this some kind of underhanded shot at Alfredsson?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
No. Just a fact that as he was so revered now, back then he was a major lightning rod, his leadership was questioned, etc...same as Karlsson right now

07-08 was a bad season after the 16-3 start but I don't recall Alfie being questioned much after the Cup final run. It was before then that he got criticized for not being able to lead a top 5 team to the Cup for 5-6 seasons. For a combination of reasons that season went to hell but Alfie had 89 points in 70 games - he was hardly the problem.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Pre Game show - let’s just do real Sens hockey talk - players, systems, stats, PP, MTL, Boston - I find the entire Ownership / Contracts / NCC thing has become annoying and a huge distraction.

Let’s focus on EKs rise back into the top player in the NHL and an MVP season. There’s still 52 games of NHL hockey and he’s just getting going, he’s only going to continue to improve and dominate hockey games. The Hamburglar run gets talked about as a fluke a lot, but there was a ton of focus and hard work put into that magic by EK and co. I’ll never bet against Erik Karlsson or Mark Stone, and Andy’s just getting off his rocking chair now, let’s get going.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I really like TSN weekend, but the guys were so soft on Melnyk it was embarrassing. Blaming parking, and saying maybe he was talking about relocating downtown when he brought up relocation lol.

Eugene Melnyk is actively threatening their livelihood and they still won't acknowledge that he is directly responsible for many fans jumping ship.

Reactions: Inkling

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
I really like TSN weekend, but the guys were so soft on Melnyk it was embarrassing. Blaming parking, and saying maybe he was talking about relocating downtown when he brought up relocation lol.

Eugene Melnyk is actively threatening their livelihood and they still won't acknowledge that he is directly responsible for many fans jumping ship.

Absolutely pathetic that they are given that time slot on such a large platform within the Ottawa Area ... and to see how faint & toned down they were on Melnyk is RIDICULOUS.

The guy just threatened to move the team ... and you barely talk about him & his character. The way he acts. Instead you distract listeners into talking about the Parking Issue when really this is all on Melnyk ... such a shame this radio station is so soft on Sens Ownership
you would finally think they would go full throttle when he threatens the livelihood of reporters .... but they dont. they stick by him & Lee Versage even defends Melnyk ... what a joke.

I thought they should have really called Melnyk out. They were very delicate in talking about him IMO.

Lee Versage wouldnt even acknowledge many fans not spending a single dime on Sens until he sells. All you have to do is look online & see that many fans are done with this team $ Fianancially until he sells.

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Absolutely pathetic that they are given that time slot on such a large platform within the Ottawa Area ... and to see how faint & toned down they were on Melnyk is RIDICULOUS.

The guy just threatened to move the team ... and you barely talk about him & his character. The way he acts. Instead you distract listeners into talking about the Parking Issue when really this is all on Melnyk ... such a shame this radio station is so soft on Sens Ownership
you would finally think they would go full throttle when he threatens the livelihood of reporters .... but they dont. they stick by him & Lee Versage even defends Melnyk ... what a joke.

I thought they should have really called Melnyk out. They were very delicate in talking about him IMO.

Lee Versage wouldnt even acknowledge many fans not spending a single dime on Sens until he sells. All you have to do is look online & see that many fans are done with this team $ Fianancially until he sells.

It's absolutely gutless.

It's now become an international story, one of the biggest in this teams history and they still barely touch it. I mean you have guys like Keith Olberman with millions of followers talking about how our owner is a goof, and our actual Ottawa station won't touch it.

I guess it will only be okay to acknowledge Melnyk's part in all this if it gets to the point that the team moves to QC and TSN 1200 lays off the entire staff to become another local news talk radio station.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
It's absolutely gutless.

It's now become an international story, one of the biggest in this teams history and they still barely touch it. I mean you have guys like Keith Olberman with millions of followers talking about how our owner is a goof, and our actual Ottawa station won't touch it.

I guess it will only be okay to acknowledge Melnyk's part in all this if it gets to the point that the team moves to QC and TSN 1200 lays off the entire staff to become another local news talk radio station.

Too bad Simmer wasn't on instead of Lee Versage ... hes the only one on the station (from the analysts (Ian is a good host for calling Sens out on stuff)) ...Simmer would have not been afraid of Melnyk ...he would call Melnyk out for the gongshow that he is running ... yet Lee Versage protect Melnyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad