The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chezzz's statements are repeatedly false and he should be held accountable - just as I'm accountable for every word that comes out of my mouth on the radio.

dont hold your breath waiting for accountability on this site Ian. Without singling anyone out there are several people that repeatedly post false information on this board and that false info gets picked up and repeated over and over. My theory is that it is easier to blindly critize than to understand. Look at how the majority of posters perceived EK's comments this week re his next deal versus the way those comments were discussed during intermission by Dreger last night. One guy says he's not coming back the next thing you know 25 other guys are chiming in on that yet that's not what he said at all nor is that a logical interpretation of what he did say. But sound reasoning and logic get drowned out here and have for sometime.

Look at the discussion around Melnyk's finances and Lebreton. The vast majority of what's posted here is false and reflects a lack of understanding of business.

I appreciate you coming in and trying to sort out fact from fiction but don't underestimate people's resolve to post fiction.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
More entertaining than the game was hearing Simmer and I think AJ just shred the Sens v Jets performance on the post game as they rightly should have, they were merciless especially Simmer which gave me a smile after watching that entire game of garbage.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
More entertaining than the game was hearing Simmer and I think AJ just shred the Sens v Jets performance on the post game as they rightly should have, they were merciless especially Simmer which gave me a smile after watching that entire game of garbage.
What did they say

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ian, appreciate the work you are putting in, and the lengths you are going to reach the fan base. We could use a few more of yourself.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
It's easier for Simmer than to Ian to call out the Sens because he works for them to. It must be a difficult line for him to walk and I respect Ian for his professionalism.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
What did they say

Obviously ripped the effort and went further into detail about how in their opinion many of the older guys are done or are getting close to it, it's a young mans league were you need to skate...as you get older the legs start to go and go quickly save for the odd anomaly....I think most of us see this however some of the NHL head coaches seem to not realize this is a young mans league now.

Was interesting hearing Dean Brown's perspective that he believes that Guy would prefer to have a roster of all 35 year olds who are still going to make mistakes however you generally know the mistakes they will make or the areas they struggle in, the young guys are more of an unknown.....I know it was only his guess at Guy's line of thinking but I believe it to be a pretty accurate assessment and something that alarmed me as a fan...he would rather have the older guys make the same mistake over and over again than giving a young guy an opportunity, sure they could be worse but the other side is they could be better which I don't believe our current coach takes into account.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
My God enough with the puns

If you want to choose to hate our contests, that's fine. But the amount of feedback we get when we do fun, creative contests is off the charts. The engagement level is super high. Because we were at the curling event today, we did the best curling names in sports. It started with Mark Stone and Craig Button. And led to submissions like Broom Broom Geoffrian and Howie More Ends (Howie Morenz).

I try and be mindful and only read the texts for a contest at the end of a segment so it doesn't dominate a whole show. Of all the texts we receive, I probably only read 10-20 per cent on the air, so we don't get bogged down just reading funny texts all show.

And on a day like this, I thought we struck a nice balance of fun (pun contest), seriousness (Dick Pound interview) and debate (talking Cody Ceci).

So while you might say "enough with the puns", I hope you realize I am mindful of the listener and try and try and strike a balance between information and fun.

Ian

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you want to choose to hate our contests, that's fine. But the amount of feedback we get when we do fun, creative contests is off the charts. The engagement level is super high. Because we were at the curling event today, we did the best curling names in sports. It started with Mark Stone and Craig Button. And led to submissions like Broom Broom Geoffrian and Howie More Ends (Howie Morenz).

I try and be mindful and only read the texts for a contest at the end of a segment so it doesn't dominate a whole show. Of all the texts we receive, I probably only read 10-20 per cent on the air, so we don't get bogged down just reading funny texts all show.

And on a day like this, I thought we struck a nice balance of fun (pun contest), seriousness (Dick Pound interview) and debate (talking Cody Ceci).

So while you might say "enough with the puns", I hope you realize I am mindful of the listener and try and try and strike a balance between information and fun.

Ian
Ya ya ya...lot of pun people, i get it. Doesn't mean this particular listener didn't hate it. I'm sure you can appreciate that, nothing personal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Obviously ripped the effort and went further into detail about how in their opinion many of the older guys are done or are getting close to it, it's a young mans league were you need to skate...as you get older the legs start to go and go quickly save for the odd anomaly....I think most of us see this however some of the NHL head coaches seem to not realize this is a young mans league now.

Was interesting hearing Dean Brown's perspective that he believes that Guy would prefer to have a roster of all 35 year olds who are still going to make mistakes however you generally know the mistakes they will make or the areas they struggle in, the young guys are more of an unknown.....I know it was only his guess at Guy's line of thinking but I believe it to be a pretty accurate assessment and something that alarmed me as a fan...he would rather have the older guys make the same mistake over and over again than giving a young guy an opportunity, sure they could be worse but the other side is they could be better which I don't believe our current coach takes into account.

Kinda sounds like Guy doesn't have faith in his own coaching abilities, or isn't able to teach/mentor young players to be better. Find a coach who can groom young players, and you'll find yourself one hell of a good coach.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Ya ya ya...lot of pun people, i get it. Doesn't mean this particular listener didn't hate it. I'm sure you can appreciate that, nothing personal.

Oh I know...it's nothing personal at all. But as always, I try and come onto this site to give some insight into why I do certain things on the radio. Like I've said, it's always a person's prerogative to dislike my work. I just want you to have all the facts before you start hating. I'm just not a fan of blind rage.

I prefer when people hate me after they have collected all the facts.

Reactions: pzeeman

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Kinda sounds like Guy doesn't have faith in his own coaching abilities, or isn't able to teach/mentor young players to be better. Find a coach who can groom young players, and you'll find yourself one hell of a good coach.

Future of the league imo, the old mentality coach won't last much longer.

Appreciate some enjoy them but those pun contests burn deeply and painfully in this mans my soul lol

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Future of the league imo, the old mentality coach won't last much longer.

Appreciate some enjoy them but those pun contests burn deeply and painfully in this mans my soul lol

Future of the league....and the future of most workplaces, too. Old school ways of doing things are disappearing all over.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Oh I know...it's nothing personal at all. But as always, I try and come onto this site to give some insight into why I do certain things on the radio. Like I've said, it's always a person's prerogative to dislike my work. I just want you to have all the facts before you start hating. I'm just not a fan of blind rage.

I prefer when people hate me after they have collected all the facts.

BTW listened to most of your show yesterday ........did anyone come up with Dave "The Hammer" Shultz?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Future of the league....and the future of most workplaces, too. Old school ways of doing things are disappearing all over.

Agreed, unfortunately some of these ancient thinkers are currently holding the power and doing everything they can to hold onto it....looking forward to the more progressive, fairer....straight up less insane working environment.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
OK, let me start by saying I love Henry Burris, he is great to listen to and provides great analysis on all things football, BUT...

Does the station really need him to be on multiple times a week on every show basically discussing the exact same thing?? We don't need Henry overkill please. I liked Macramella too until he was on multiple times a week plus his own show. Marcotte is the same.

Also, decent show yesterday, but Versage's temper tantrum over Cody Ceci was embarrassing.

OK, everyone, you can yell at me now :)

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
OK, let me start by saying I love Henry Burris, he is great to listen to and provides great analysis on all things football, BUT...

Does the station really need him to be on multiple times a week on every show basically discussing the exact same thing?? We don't need Henry overkill please. I liked Macramella too until he was on multiple times a week plus his own show. Marcotte is the same.

Also, decent show yesterday, but Versage's temper tantrum over Cody Ceci was embarrassing.

OK, everyone, you can yell at me now :)

I feel like you just don't like listening to the radio tbh

There's always going to be things certain listeners don't like. Anytime that fantasy football guy come on I instantly hop over to XM because I don't give a rats ass about fantasy football, but I get its hugely popular and probably good for the station. I think overall they do a pretty good job.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Not everyone listens to the radio all day every day.

I listen to it a couple of times a week when I'm driving into the office and back.

So I don't mind if they repeat topics or individuals throughout the week.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Why, I don't mind your posts. It just seems like you really hate the station. Maybe it's just not your cup of tea. Have you ever tried sirius/xm.

Thing is, it IS my cup of tea. Read my post to Ian, there are things I really enjoy about the station, ie The Drive. Unfortunately, the other hosts are not even in the same league as Mendes. Simmer has also really upped his game in the past little while, which I have also mentioned. Problem is, Ian actively seeks out ways to improve his product while the other hosts (JR, Lloyd) feel as though their shows are perfect as is.

As for Sirius/XM, I do have Sirius, but the NHL channel barely touches on the Sens, as expected. I need Sens content somewhere, so I turn to Ottawa Sports Radio on my drive to work and my drive home from work and occasionally at lunch.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Not everyone listens to the radio all day every day.

I listen to it a couple of times a week when I'm driving into the office and back.

So I don't mind if they repeat topics or individuals throughout the week.

Fair enough. I understand your POV, just think its overkill, that's all.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
But isn't that the way every news or sports stations are? With every show & when the next announcers come on don't they start with the highlights of the day or what the big stories are that day? If there is a trade every show talks about the same trade & sometimes it lasts for days. IMO the difference could be with who the announcers are or who their guests are & how interesting they are or how well they come off. Some are more sensational than others, louder or much more knowledgeable & are more interesting to listen too. Team 1200 has the ability to draw on TSN's vast network of sports announcers & guests & does take advantage of that daily which is interesting to listen to.

On slow days they will goof off or talk about other sports stories that isn't really their norm, most shows do this. On the Team 1200 during the hockey season they mostly talk hockey which is what most of us like to listen to but there is also other sports going on & they touch upon those when they can. If it's a particular story or BIG news story that requires expertise than they may have the same expert on every show. I think that's fairly normal for a radio station. Not everyone listens to sports on the radio & certainly not all day, every day.

If you watch CNN (the Constant Negative News) you will see the same stories for days with exactly the same experts on numerous shows. Hell, they have been covering everything Trump 24/7 for over two yrs now. Now that's overkill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad