The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
But isn't that the way every news or sports stations are? With every show & when the next announcers come on don't they start with the highlights of the day or what the big stories are that day? If there is a trade every show talks about the same trade & sometimes it lasts for days. IMO the difference could be with who the announcers are or who their guests are & how interesting they are or how well they come off. Some are more sensational than others, louder or much more knowledgeable & are more interesting to listen too. Team 1200 has the ability to draw on TSN's vast network of sports announcers & guests & does take advantage of that daily which is interesting to listen to.

On slow days they will goof off or talk about other sports stories that isn't really their norm, most shows do this. On the Team 1200 during the hockey season they mostly talk hockey which is what most of us like to listen to but there is also other sports going on & they touch upon those when they can. If it's a particular story or BIG news story that requires expertise than they may have the same expert on every show. I think that's fairly normal for a radio station. Not everyone listens to sports on the radio & certainly not all day, every day.

If you watch CNN (the Constant Negative News) you will see the same stories for days with exactly the same experts on numerous shows. Hell, they have been covering everything Trump 24/7 for over two yrs now. Now that's overkill.

Well said, I guess you are right.

I guess what was frustrating was that the last thing I heard on the station was Simmer/Ian asking Burris about the bad hits in the NFL and then the next time I switch to the station, I immediately get JR: "coming up next Henry Burris to talk dangerous hits in the NFL". All I am saying is that maybe a different guest can come on, discuss the same subject and give the listener a different POV on the subject.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Well said, I guess you are right.

I guess what was frustrating was that the last thing I heard on the station was Simmer/Ian asking Burris about the bad hits in the NFL and then the next time I switch to the station, I immediately get JR: "coming up next Henry Burris to talk dangerous hits in the NFL". All I am saying is that maybe a different guest can come on, discuss the same subject and give the listener a different POV on the subject.

I get where you're coming from. With the deep bench of TSN in their family, you'd think they'd be able to draw on other "experts", rather than the same five or six locals.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I get where you're coming from. With the deep bench of TSN in their family, you'd think they'd be able to draw on other "experts", rather than the same five or six locals.

See, I am not crazy, other people share some of the same beliefs as me.

I miss when the station had Eric Edholm or guys from Pro Football Talk Weekly on as NFL "experts" instead of former CFL players like Duke Ellingson.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
OK, let me start by saying I love Henry Burris, he is great to listen to and provides great analysis on all things football, BUT...

Does the station really need him to be on multiple times a week on every show basically discussing the exact same thing?? We don't need Henry overkill please. I liked Macramella too until he was on multiple times a week plus his own show. Marcotte is the same.

Also, decent show yesterday, but Versage's temper tantrum over Cody Ceci was embarrassing.

OK, everyone, you can yell at me now :)
CHezz is gonna ch.... just kidding ;)

I like Burris on. I actually don't agree with him all the time which makes it good listening, because he is a tremendous speaker. I guess I don't listen enough anymore to be sick of him already.
I do find his interviews on the Drive to be more useful than those on TGOR, and that's of course down to show and interview prep.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Guys, I haven't bashed the commercials in a while! But I had a laugh when in one segment they ran the snow blower contest sponsored by Reis, then Steve did his on-air Reis commercial skit, then they threw to a conventional Reis ad.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Guys, I haven't bashed the commercials in a while! But I had a laugh when in one segment they ran the snow blower contest sponsored by Reis, then Steve did his on-air Reis commercial skit, then they threw to a conventional Reis ad.

Further proof that its just a time killer for them.

Do they do the live on-air commercials when Steve isn't around? Can't say I have noticed on this week with Simmer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Cheaper or more available, you would have to think they get paid for every appearance, right? Might just come down to money, as everything else does.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can see what Chezz is getting at. Listening to those Fan stations in Toronto/Montreal...and wall to wall coverage of the Leafs/Habs. As a Sens fan, I'm insanely jealous. Seems like there's always tons of info, stories, and hockey *stuff* packed throughout the day. For a hockey fanatic, it is paradise.

Unfortunately, 1200 doesn't seem to have the budget/resources for that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh I know...it's nothing personal at all. But as always, I try and come onto this site to give some insight into why I do certain things on the radio. Like I've said, it's always a person's prerogative to dislike my work. I just want you to have all the facts before you start hating. I'm just not a fan of blind rage.

I prefer when people hate me after they have collected all the facts.
Who said anything about "hating" anybody? Eeeeeeaaaassssyyy. I don't like puns on the radio. I don't like it here or there. I don't like them anywhere. I would not like them in a house . I would not like them with a mouse. Ian, I just don't like puns . I am not blinded by rage, but my eardrums were bleeding.

I wouldn't like them with a goat either .

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Further proof that its just a time killer for them.

Do they do the live on-air commercials when Steve isn't around? Can't say I have noticed on this week with Simmer.
They play a pre-taped spot from Steve. JR says "and now a word for My Pillow" and then they play a 30 second clip of Steve talking. Thank god they don't force Simmer to do it haha.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Could you imagine?? haha. Simmer has trouble completing a full sentence most of the time.
Or he would somehow manage to go from discussing a pillow to talking about going out with Dale Hunter and Joe Juneau back in 1997 within 5 seconds :laugh:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Who said anything about "hating" anybody? Eeeeeeaaaassssyyy. I don't like puns on the radio. I don't like it here or there. I don't like them anywhere. I would not like them in a house . I would not like them with a mouse. Ian, I just don't like puns . I am not blinded by rage, but my eardrums were bleeding.

I wouldn't like them with a goat either .
While we are on the pun topic, Ron Mclean must drive you crazy!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
A little less screaming from Lee please? Just make your point about the overtime and move on. Absolutely unlisteneable in that segment. "LET'S EFFECT CHANGE! SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM!" Turned it off and did something else.

What I want from you Lee, is discussion of the game's events, not you destroying my earbuds.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
A little less screaming from Lee please? Just make your point about the overtime and move on. Absolutely unlisteneable in that segment. "LET'S EFFECT CHANGE! SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM!" Turned it off and did something else.

What I want from you Lee, is discussion of the game's events, not you destroying my earbuds.

Stop picking on Leever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad