The Newer, Officialer Sidney Crosby Sporadic Post Thread! [ALL Crosby talk Goes Here]

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
sonnytheman said:
what kind of a question is that? Are you asking if he floated around doing nothing, because if yes, then the answer is no, he never floated or took a shift off.

Btw, he got 6 points (i believe) playing on the 4th line, which is pretty impressive I'd say.
I think he got 5pts in 6 games which is excellent for a fouth liner with poor linemates and ice time.

PEli*

L3DZ3P said:
I think he got 5pts in 6 games which is excellent for a fouth liner with poor linemates and ice time.

Poor ice time, yes. Poor linemates? Dixon and Tambellini are hardly poor linemates. Maybe in comparison to guys like Dawes, Carter, Richards, etc. but Tamby and Dixon are good players.

edit: Even if he played with Colliton, that's still a quality player. Besides, when given an oppertunity, Crosby can turn a guy like Roussin into a 50+ goal scorer.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I read articles before the Juniors that said nobody expected Crosby to be the hero of the tournament. Ovechkin was expected to be. Crosby didn't have near the amount of pressure Ovechkin had. Plus, Ovechkin had to be the Captain as well. All Crosby had to do was play 'well'. Ovechkin was expected to be superhuman.
Who has ever said anything about Sidney's great work ethic? People are constantly talking about how great Ovechkin's work ethic is.

"Ovechkin needs no introduction. He remains the consensus No. 1 overall pick and he has everything to be a star in the NHL. He's not a slick play-making forward, but is more like a standout power forward. He can score, he likes to hit and he competes on every shift. He thrives on being challenged and is the complete package."

""He has shown consistent work ethic and that is how you become a star because a lot of players have a lot of talent, but consistency will stop you from becoming a star.""

"His play in his own end and his work ethic raises his stock over Zherdev"

"He definitely knows what he wants," Ishmatov says of Ovechkin. "I think he will be as good as everybody predicts. On top of his skills, he has a big hockey heart. Sometimes during practices I have to stop him and cool him down."

"They say Ovechkin has it all – speed, size, smarts, skill and a mature attitude highlighted by outstanding character and work ethic."

Where is all this about Sidney?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This thread was not created to compare Crosby and Ovechkin. It was determined a long time ago that it proved nothing because without seeing either of them play for the amount of time required to form a real opinion, people randomly picked one and hyped him, while trashing the other one.

It's stupid. Both are good prospects, in all likelyhood both will be super NHL players. I'm excited to see them both develop. Anyone taking shots at these kids either hasn't seen them play or doesn't know the game. Both were outstanding individuals during the WJC. Ovechkin was strong on a team with no chemistry and Crosby was strong in his limited role.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
I read articles before the Juniors that said nobody expected Crosby to be the hero of the tournament. Ovechkin was expected to be. Crosby didn't have near the amount of pressure Ovechkin had. Plus, Ovechkin had to be the Captain as well. All Crosby had to do was play 'well'. Ovechkin was expected to be superhuman.
Who has ever said anything about Sidney's great work ethic? People are constantly talking about how great Ovechkin's work ethic is.

"Ovechkin needs no introduction. He remains the consensus No. 1 overall pick and he has everything to be a star in the NHL. He's not a slick play-making forward, but is more like a standout power forward. He can score, he likes to hit and he competes on every shift. He thrives on being challenged and is the complete package."

""He has shown consistent work ethic and that is how you become a star because a lot of players have a lot of talent, but consistency will stop you from becoming a star.""

"He definitely knows what he wants," Ishmatov says of Ovechkin. "I think he will be as good as everybody predicts. On top of his skills, he has a big hockey heart. Sometimes during practices I have to stop him and cool him down."

"They say Ovechkin has it all – speed, size, smarts, skill and a mature attitude highlighted by outstanding character and work ethic."

Are you joking? Is this a joke? Are you questioning the work ethic of a kid you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about? You have just decided not to like him and try to tear him apart. If you knew ANYTHING about him you would know he was one of Canada's most dominant offensive players during the WJC, you would KNOW he didn't sit any games this season because his team didn't want him getting hurt and you would KNOW he is known as a kid that works 365 days a year to make his game better. He's the first on and the last off at practice and does everything he can away from the rink to make himself a better player and a better person. You have no idea what you are talking about, you just decided to like Ovechkin and trash Crosby. This thread doesn't need people like you.

Here's an idea, be open minded and educate yourself about hockey players before you decide not to like them.

KariyaIsGod*

Foppa_Rules said:

Well wait until his draft year and watcht he comments.

Crosby worked his hardest on every shift yes, and he by far had a lot worse luck than Ovechkin. He should have had about 15 points, but luck was not with him.

Hell, you want comments, here's one.

"He's the best player I've seen since Mario Lemieux."

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
Sidney plays against children while Ovechkin plays against men. .

Sid has 2 goals and 1 assist so far tonight including the "16 year old record" 80th assist while playing against the other "children". (some of whom are 2 years older than Ovechkin and 4 years older than Sid)

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
PEli said:
Poor ice time, yes. Poor linemates? Dixon and Tambellini are hardly poor linemates. Maybe in comparison to guys like Dawes, Carter, Richards, etc. but Tamby and Dixon are good players.

edit: Even if he played with Colliton, that's still a quality player. Besides, when given an oppertunity, Crosby can turn a guy like Roussin into a 50+ goal scorer.
Yeah you know what i meant by poor.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Don_Cherry said:
Are you joking? Is this a joke? Are you questioning the work ethic of a kid you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about? You have just decided not to like him and try to tear him apart. If you knew ANYTHING about him you would know he was one of Canada's most dominant offensive players during the WJC, you would KNOW he didn't sit any games this season because his team didn't want him getting hurt and you would KNOW he is known as a kid that works 365 days a year to make his game better. He's the first on and the last off at practice and does everything he can away from the rink to make himself a better player and a better person. You have no idea what you are talking about, you just decided to like Ovechkin and trash Crosby. This thread doesn't need people like you.

Here's an idea, be open minded and educate yourself about hockey players before you decide not to like them.
Well said :yo:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Reality Check

We've seen it written on these threads how Crosby is a selfish, overhyped,oneway
player. The regular season has just ended so let's do a little reality check.
Sidney leads last years worst team to a divisional title and a bye in the playoffs
[the same team that only won one game while Sid was away at world juniors].
The selfish Crosby breaks Denis Savard's 26 year old record for assists by a 16
year old while his linemates production more than doubles[Roussin ends up leading
the league in goals scored]. The one-way player has the third highest plus-minus
in the league , just a few behind the top player and way above his teams average.
He breaks 30 year old record for a 16 year old rookie by 10 points at a time when
average goals scored in the Q are down dramatically. He's the first ever 16 year
old rookie to ever win the scoring race.The Oceanic are a sellout everywhere they
visit. Did I mention Sid did all this while missing almost a month at the World Juniors.But you really can't assess Sidney on stats,you have to see him play.When they do I'm sure most of the doubters will become believers.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
He seems W_A_Y overhyped to me. The media and you guys make him out to be some sort of god. "The Next One". By the way, Sidney Crosby would be destroyed if he ever ventured into a Superleague game. Ovechkin made the team at 16 years old. Ovechkin did fine. Crosby is 16. He would never make it. He can't fight a 30 year old. He can't check a 30 year old who is about 40-45 pounds heavier than Ovechkin was, Crosby wouldn't even be able to withstand being checked by those people. Crosby had better have fun playing against kids because it aint gonna last very long. The NHL will be a huge wake-up call. No more lacrosse moves. No more hotdogging. Maybe it will be Scott Stevens, or Vishnevsky, or Rob Blake, or Adam Foote....Crosby will get his wake-up call. Very soon.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
He seems W_A_Y overhyped to me. The media and you guys make him out to be some sort of god. "The Next One". By the way, Sidney Crosby would be destroyed if he ever ventured into a Superleague game. Ovechkin made the team at 16 years old. Ovechkin did fine. Crosby is 16. He would never make it. He can't fight a 30 year old. He can't check a 30 year old who is about 40-45 pounds heavier than Ovechkin was, Crosby wouldn't even be able to withstand being checked by those people. Crosby had better have fun playing against kids because it aint gonna last very long. The NHL will be a huge wake-up call. No more lacrosse moves. No more hotdogging. Maybe it will be Scott Stevens, or Vishnevsky, or Rob Blake, or Adam Foote....Crosby will get his wake-up call. Very soon.

Come on out the closet Foppa ,we know you really want to be a Crosby fan.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
pei fan said:
We've seen it written on these threads how Crosby is a selfish, overhyped,oneway
player. The regular season has just ended so let's do a little reality check.
Sidney leads last years worst team to a divisional title and a bye in the playoffs
[the same team that only won one game while Sid was away at world juniors].
The selfish Crosby breaks Denis Savard's 26 year old record for assists by a 16
year old while his linemates production more than doubles[Roussin ends up leading
the league in goals scored]. The one-way player has the third highest plus-minus
in the league , just a few behind the top player and way above his teams average.
He breaks 30 year old record for a 16 year old rookie by 10 points at a time when
average goals scored in the Q are down dramatically. He's the first ever 16 year
old rookie to ever win the scoring race.The Oceanic are a sellout everywhere they
visit. Did I mention Sid did all this while missing almost a month at the World Juniors.But you really can't assess Sidney on stats,you have to see him play.When they do I'm sure most of the doubters will become believers.

Make that tied for second in the league for plus/minus and tied for first among forwards. The other 2 are from Gatineau that have over twice the team plus/minus as Rimouski.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Foppa_Rules said:
Ah, so his team backed down then....i also heard rumors that Sidney would like to play in Europe where it is less physical.

You hit the nail on the head. HIS TEAM!!! Sid was actually pretty upset and was quoted in many papers as saying he wants to play.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Foppa_Rules said:
Omg you are such an idiot your comments are always pointless.I dont really know whats wrong with you and why you have so much hate toward a 16 years old.Sidney Crosby is a Canadian and in Canada every kids(talented) play major junior,they are not allowed to play in a man league(ahl) unlike in russia .Oh and btw Wayne and Mario also played major junior with KIDS before they became hockey legends.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Don_Cherry said:
Crosby's season is over.

Point Totals
GP G A PTS
59 54 81 135

2.28 points per game.

Projects to:

0.91 Goals/game
1.37 Assists/game
2.28 points/game

If he played all 70 games he would have had:

64 goals
96 assists
160 points

!!!

Only 26 back of a 19 year old Brad Richards who went on to score 62 in the NHL the next year

!!!

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
GoaLiE12 said:
overall, who do you think will have a better hcokey career? ovechkin or crosby?

Although the Pens have a good chance to get one of the two, I'll have a hearty laugh if they both turn out to be tremendous busts.

PEli*

Foppa_Rules said:

You don't get it at all. Has Ovechkin fought a 30 year old in the RSL? I don't know much about the RSL so you'll have to inform me on that one. Crosby has been playing in leagues more mature than him for a couple of years now. He did it with the Subways, he did it at Shattuck/St. Mary's and he's now in a league where he can say he's at a level playing field.

He's no longer playing against kids. He's playing against 16-20 year olds who are bigger and better than anybody he's ever matched up against in his life...and he STILL succeeds. This takes nothing away from Ovechkin's accomplishments because they're totally separate. So who cares about comparing the two?

Just foolish...

Foppa_Rules said:
Overall, Ovechkin. Crosby may get more goals but Ovechkin will be probably be a Selke-type player. I think Ovechkin will be better overall.

After some of the stuff you've said in this thread, you don't have the right to compare the two. And this isn't the thread to do so. You didn't even know that he didn't sit games out and had to ask if he played hard at the WJCs. :dunno:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Crosby really turned it up a notch and has taken over the title of 'best prospect in the world' with his outstanding season. Prior to the start of the QMJHL season people predicting he would win the scoring race were called crazy. It's one thing for an off the cuff comment from a casual fan who checks the junior stats once a month. But the people trying to bring predictions down to their view of something realistic were often hardcore fans and people with extensive knowledge of the league.

What he accomplished this season might still be downplayed because he dominated from Day 1, there is no shock value or surprize now.

The most impressive aspect of his game this year is his puck strength. His amazing balance and the excellent control of his centre of gravity are a sure sign that he will be succesful at any level of hockey he ever plays at. He can't be knocked off the puck and he can drive it past guys that outweigh him by 30 pounds. When the puck gets in his possession it stays there until he decides to do something with it. Another great thing about his development this season has been his open ice checking ability. He is so quick and coordinated he is devastating on the forecheck and when skaters try to rush it through the neutral zone.

Next year will be his final junior year. He will be an impact NHL player in 2005-06 if his development continues anywhere near the pace he displayed this year, as many scouts have said this spring. Next season will be his chance to shine and put up mega numbers to show more progression, if he puts up 130-140 next season he'll still be a great prospect but might be showing signs of topping out. I don't expect that to happen however, as it tends to happen to guys who mature physically at an early age a la Lindros. Crosby still has a few years before he's at physical manhood, which tends to mean he has a lot more skill growth potential.

Ovechkin hasn't had a fantastic season, although not a bad one. Crosby however has had an outstanding one. At the beginning of this season the overall feel I was getting was that they were neck in neck in terms of potential and for every guy that wanted to build a franchise around Ovechkin there was another that wanted Crosby. Now I'd be willing to bet at least 70-80 per cent of scouts and GM's would choose Crosby. Sid has opened eyes and shut mouths all year long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad