Kotkaniemi finishes the playoffs with 1 point in 11 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
thAnd PHX took Barrett Hayton, and DET took Filip Zadina. That kind of thing happens every year. What doesn’t happen every year is signing a 4th liner to an 8 year offer sheet and gloating about it like it was the 4D chess move of the decade, only to have it immediately blow up in your face. The $20 signing bonus and the Twitter antics by the actual NHL team are just icing on the cake. CAR fans on here were trying dunk all over Habs fans too lol. They should just take their licks at this point lmao, nothing else they can do.
I'm a bit surprised how serious Canes fans are about it. Like, did you really not see this coming, and just how sweet it looks when there's couple of holes that could've been fixed if money and assets were not wasted on 4th liner. Team, their Twitter team and most of the fan base were drowning in gloating and hubris. Of course we are around when the door smacks you in the ass. Bunch of jerks shouldn't dwell on resentment, lighten up and take it like a hockey fan.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
Habs fans can get their shots in, but at the end of the day they had a 3rd overall pick with Tkachuk, Quinn Hughes (this year's likely norris winner) and Dobson all there for the taking. All they have to show for that now is a crap, injury prone Dvorak.

Christian Dvorak is better than Kotkaniemi.

My opinion, the leafs should trade for Kotkaniemi. He fit right in. That way even if he doesn't win a cup, he could at least get respect in the handshake line.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
I guess I'm alone in this but I'd take him in a heartbeat if I ran a team far from the cap ceiling.

Preds, BlackHawks, Ducks

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
And PHX took Barrett Hayton, and DET took Filip Zadina. That kind of thing happens every year. What doesn’t happen every year is signing a 4th liner to an 8 year offer sheet and gloating about it like it was the 4D chess move of the decade, only to have it immediately blow up in your face. The $20 signing bonus and the Twitter antics by the actual NHL team are just icing on the cake. CAR fans on here were trying dunk all over Habs fans too lol. They should just take their licks at this point lmao, nothing else they can do.
A 4.8M aav contract for 8 years given to a 40 points 22 year old center isn't bad

Fist of Fury

Wang Chung
Jul 24, 2011
Guy is complete garbage, but he did destroy Clutterbuck and did not really have to answer for it. Hate this "new" NHL.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
$50M in the bag.

Dude must be the luckiest player in NHL history when you look at his career earnings compared to how much of it was deserved.
Hes going to lose most of that if he gets bought out.

But regardless will have made way more than he should have at this point in his career.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I'm a bit surprised how serious Canes fans are about it. Like, did you really not see this coming, and just how sweet it looks when there's couple of holes that could've been fixed if money and assets were not wasted on 4th liner. Team, their Twitter team and most of the fan base were drowning in gloating and hubris. Of course we are around when the door smacks you in the ass. Bunch of jerks shouldn't dwell on resentment, lighten up and take it like a hockey fan.
They decided to keep Kotka over just paying Trocheck because he was nearing 30. That move alone neutered their chances at winning by so much. Like honestly such a massive fumble it should almost be a fireable offence.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
More than 1 point in 11 games?

Habs fans should cool it on their gloating though. You've got Gorton and Bobrov to worry about.

Why ? They gave us SlafGoatsky.
1506524542-ruth-perplexev2.png

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Hes going to lose most of that if he gets bought out.

But regardless will have made way more than he should have at this point in his career.
That offer sheet alone was pretty much what Bergevin would've paid in a three-year bridge deal. Therefore last two seasons and buyout are extra, earned by getting caught in the middle of a perfect shitstorm. If they buy him out this summer, that's 18.5 million. And that sum only gets bigger if they decide to give one or two more years.

They decided to keep Kotka over just paying Trocheck because he was nearing 30. That move alone neutered their chances at winning by so much. Like honestly such a massive fumble it should almost be a fireable offence.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
...and this shows they didn't just lose money and assets. Handicapping championship window was the worst thing that happened. And his contract might exclude another key player because of cap restrictions.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
It's funny how the chain of events stops short for bashing Habs fans when we have made out pretty well since this all happened. Dvorak is a better player, and that's the worst of it for us. After that, Bergevin got fired, our rebuild officially started, we drafted Slafkovsky, and our rebuild is coming along nicely, unlike the Sens.

It sucks that our 3OA pick busted, but we have seen other picks turn out quite well from the Bergevin era, such as Caufield and Guhle, so it doesn't really sting that much. I am just happy the mistake we made is gone.

Canes gave up assets they could have used at the TDL for playoff help, sign KK for too much for too long, let Trochek walk due to cap constraints who then clowned them in the playoffs playing for the Rags. They now have cap issues with KK still on the books.

I am hoping the Canes buy him out so that he can be a loser as well. I hate when people say the only winner is KK. Let him lose millions, Canes.

Last edited:

LaCarriere

He's what, 23? They have a few more years to work with him or go the U26 buyout route.

I think you'll see more and more GMs try to lock up young 2nd line type ceiling guys to those type of contracts, they're easy to make go away if they don't work out and if a m little money on the books isn't an issue.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
He's what, 23? They have a few more years to work with him or go the U26 buyout route.

I think you'll see more and more GMs try to lock up young 2nd line type ceiling guys to those type of contracts, they're easy to make go away if they don't work out and if a m little money on the books isn't an issue.
23, but it isn't like he was a highly touted prospect when he was drafted, so it is hard to be hopeful for some potential that wasn't really there in the first place. We just reached to get him due to need. He is not only disappointing for a 3OA, he's disappointing for a 15OA and has shown next to no improvement in his game. The Canes are in win now mode and should not be wasting time and cap space on this type of player. They never should have done that in the first place.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
It's funny how the chain of events stops short for bashing Habs fans when we have made out pretty well since this all happened. Dvorak is a better player, and that's the worst of it for us. After that, Bergevin got fired, our rebuild officially started, we drafted Slafkovsky, and our rebuild is coming along nicely, unlike the Sens.

It sucks that our 3OA pick busted, but we have seen other picks turn out quite well from the Bergevin era, such as Caufield and Guhle, so it doesn't really sting that much. I am just happy the mistake we made is gone.

Canes gave up assets they could have used at the TDL for playoff help, sign KK for too much for too long, let Trochek walk due to cap constraints who then clowned them in the playoffs playing for the Rags. They now have cap issues with KK still on the books.

I am hoping the Canes buy him out so that he can be a loser as well. I hate when people say the only winner is KK. Let him lose millions, Canes.
How can you forget Sergachev?

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Sergachev!? That happened way before the KK debacle. What a bizarre post.
Well, you are talking about your rebuild and how good it's going, Sergachev would be your best defenseman, absolutely its related.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Already two threads on this in NHL chat don’t need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad