Confirmed with Link: The new coach of the Philadelphia Flyers is John Tortorella

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he doesn't land another HC job, Brunette would be a real possibility for the Flyers - not just the Minnesota connection with Fletcher, but:

"As one of Quenneville’s assistant coaches for more than two years, Brunette coached Florida’s forwards and ran its power play."

Which would make him a perfect fit.
And given Torts' age, Brunette could be groomed as his successor if he doesn't get an offer elsewhere.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
he kicked Kimbo’s ass. Probably what led to Kimbo actually going out to get real training

I think the video got scrubbed from the internet. But yeah I remember the was guy noticeably bigger/stronger than Kimbo & had way better conditioning so he just leaned on Kimbo would use some wrestling with his punches. Kimbo was used to guys trying to trade punches with him. So him & his group were getting mad.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I think the video got scrubbed from the internet. But yeah I remember the was guy noticeably bigger/stronger than Kimbo & had way better conditioning so he just leaned on Kimbo would use some wrestling with his punches. Kimbo was used to guys trying to trade punches with him. So him & his group were getting mad.

Yup. He basically just wore him out. That was Kimbo though. Always had fairly poor conditioning. Who knows how much his underlying heart issues had to do with it.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If he doesn't land another HC job, Brunette would be a real possibility for the Flyers - not just the Minnesota connection with Fletcher, but:

"As one of Quenneville’s assistant coaches for more than two years, Brunette coached Florida’s forwards and ran its power play."

Which would make him a perfect fit.
And given Torts' age, Brunette could be groomed as his successor if he doesn't get an offer elsewhere.
leave Florida for the Flyers shit show. Make sense if he was looking for a retirement contract. Flyers have their successor in Lehigh.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
leave Florida for the Flyers shit show. Make sense if he was looking for a retirement contract. Flyers have their successor in Lehigh.

While it'd be great to have someone who could potentially build up our PP and serve as HC in waiting, I wouldn't be surprised if Brunette's camp is making his interest known to Boston, Detroit, and Winnipeg (if Trotz doesn't go there) right about now.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
While it'd be great to have someone who could potentially build up our PP and serve as HC in waiting, I wouldn't be surprised if Brunette's camp is making his interest known to Boston, Detroit, and Winnipeg (if Trotz doesn't go there) right about now.
Sure that is the smart approach. Feel it out. Flyers are are not a destination at this point. They really no longer offer anything other teams can't offer. Maybe some extra cash is all.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
He’s coming across a little.. odd. Is it old age? This by his own admission being his last stab at coaching? Is it just that’s it the off-season and he hasn’t started working with the players? Was he always this mild mannered in interviews? Just comes across as slightly disingenuous based on his past, and more calculating/selective/manipulative in his words, especially about Philadelphia as a city. Obviously our management isn’t the difficult of people to out con, especially when you say all the right things about their culture.

He also can’t be the worst of dudes since there’s a good many players who actually speak well of him, and he’s also a big dog guy? He also seems much brighter than AV. Which isn’t much of a hurdle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rebels57

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Well at least someone will say something oin the locker room when we lose 9:0 to NY Rangers.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He’s coming across a little.. odd. Is it old age? This by his own admission being his last stab at coaching? Is it just that’s it the off-season and he hasn’t started working with the players? Was he always this mild mannered in interviews? Just comes across as slightly disingenuous based on his past, and more calculating/selective/manipulative in his words, especially about Philadelphia as a city. Obviously our management isn’t the difficult of people to out con, especially when you say all the right things about their culture.

He also can’t be the worst of dudes since there’s a good many players who actually speak well of him, and he’s also a big dog guy? He also seems much brighter than AV. Which isn’t much of a hurdle.

He sold me. Im on team Torts tbh.
I was gonna duck out on the team for abit but i have to say, his sales pitch definitely worked.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Disingenuous? That’s the last word to describe Tortorella.

It’s not his fault he gets mischaracterized by fans who don’t know what they’re talking about.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
He sold me. Im on team Torts tbh.
I was gonna duck out on the team for abit but i have to say, his sales pitch definitely worked.

So long as cuck and the boys are running the show and we have a terrible roster and cap situation, there’s not much he can do. And I don’t want him to do much, because I want them to be a bottom 3 team next season and force these people out of jobs. If he can assist in ruffling their feathers, i will also be a fan of his

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't assume this is a terrible roster until we see what Torts does with it.
CBJ, 93, 89, 76 (Torts takes over after a 0-7 start)
then 108, 97, 98

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a pretty terrible roster. Swapping Giroux for Tippett doesn't improve it.
I'm fine with Giroux gone. He had his day, going forward Tippett and that 1st are more valuable.
Tippett may only be a solid 3RW, but with his speed, and Torts pushing him to play 200 feet, he can be valuable in that role, and at 23 has a lot of upside left.

Giroux was 109th in pp/60 over the last three seasons, Farabee was 48th, TK 50th, Couts 58th.
He'll be 35, he's no longer a top player, he'd have value for a playoff team where he's a complementary piece but not for a team "reloading."

They basically took his $8.25M and locked up Couts and Farabee long-term.

If the Flyers' future depended on keeping Giroux, they had no future.
Two years from now, Tippett will be 25, Giroux 37, and that 1st rd pick could be in the mid-teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad