Confirmed with Link: The new coach of the Philadelphia Flyers is John Tortorella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm fine with Giroux gone. He had his day, going forward Tippett and that 1st are more valuable.
Tippett may only be a solid 3RW, but with his speed, and Torts pushing him to play 200 feet, he can be valuable in that role, and at 23 has a lot of upside left.

Giroux was 109th in pp/60 over the last three seasons, Farabee was 48th, TK 50th, Couts 58th.
He'll be 35, he's no longer a top player, he'd have value for a playoff team where he's a complementary piece but not for a team "reloading."

They basically took his $8.25M and locked up Couts and Farabee long-term.

If the Flyers' future depended on keeping Giroux, they had no future.
Two years from now, Tippett will be 25, Giroux 37, and that 1st rd pick could be in the mid-teens.

Tippett and a 1st they might not even keep aren't more valuable in any universe. Tortorella can't give him a new brain. You really seem convinced he's a magic wizard. Tippett's problem is that, even at 23, it appears he has no more upside to tap. And in an anti-skill organization, he's not going to discover a secret reservoir.

Reactions: Rebels57

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
WelcomeOrganicKusimanse-size_restricted.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tippett and a 1st they might not even keep aren't more valuable in any universe. Tortorella can't give him a new brain. You really seem convinced he's a magic wizard. Tippett's problem is that, even at 23, it appears he has no more upside to tap. And in an anti-skill organization, he's not going to discover a secret reservoir.
Cates - Frost - Tippett were at worst a solid "energy line," and Tippett flashed some serious skill, skating with the puck, some nice passes. He has size, speed, a compact shooting motion. To say he has no more upside is to me a "hot take." He may never live up to his draft position but can still be a solid middle six forward.

If you're worried about blocking young players, a 35 year old forward who'd play 17-18 minutes a night if resigned will be a bigger blockage than any 4th line scrub could be. If you don't think the Flyers will be competitive in 2022-23 the last thing you want is G back with a $7M or so cap hit. Same reason I don't want JG.

Which is why I also want to see Atkinson and Hayes phased out the next couple years, and Ellis if he can't regain his form.
Better to lose with youth than be mediocre with veterans.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Cates - Frost - Tippett were at worst a solid "energy line," and Tippett flashed some serious skill, skating with the puck, some nice passes. He has size, speed, a compact shooting motion. To say he has no more upside is to me a "hot take." He may never live up to his draft position but can still be a solid middle six forward.

If you're worried about blocking young players, a 35 year old forward who'd play 17-18 minutes a night if resigned will be a bigger blockage than any 4th line scrub could be. If you don't think the Flyers will be competitive in 2022-23 the last thing you want is G back with a $7M or so cap hit. Same reason I don't want JG.

Which is why I also want to see Atkinson and Hayes phased out the next couple years, and Ellis if he can't regain his form.
Better to lose with youth than be mediocre with veterans.

His brick brain and poor vision put hard limits on his upside.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Tippett stinks. He's a glorified try-hard due to draft status. There's a reason he doesn't produce no matter who he plays with. That reason is that he stinks. Having him as the main piece for Claude f***ing Giroux is criminal.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Torts just on WIP. Said he and Chuck talk extensively on potential players to bring in and have been talking in general. Said he doesn’t follow junior or AHL at all because his focus is 100% NHL. Angelo warned him about Howard Eskin.

If nothing else this has been a good honey moon period for him. He been coming as more reserved than his reputation suggests, and seems like he has a plan.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57 and JXC

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts just on WIP. Said he and Chuck talk extensively on potential players to bring in and have been talking in general. Said he doesn’t follow junior or AHL at all because his focus is 100% NHL. Angelo warned him about Howard Eskin.

If nothing else this has been a good honey moon period for him. He been coming as more reserved than his reputation suggests, and seems like he has a plan.

Sounds like a guy who won't fight for guys already in our system and will defer to the GM (as he tends to do) if the GM decided to block them with shit veterans.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He sounds like he's rehearsed every single interview carefully with the organization because they know how important it is to get the fanbase to buy into him to help sagging ticket sales. He sounds like he's full of shit at best. At worst, he sounds like he doesn't really want to be doing this but couldn't turn down $16 million.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Yeah, its great to focus solely on the NHL and not worry about the AHL...where your players should (in theory) be coming from....

Super glad I don't get worked up about this organization's ineptitude anymore.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You expected fire and brimstone in June? What's there to yell about?

And I'm always shocked when a HC confers with his GM about potential additions.
Though seems Torts was honest about not following juniors and the AHL, I suspect his attitude is I'll look at them in camp and make a judgment off what I see.

Torts did not favor veterans in CBJ and they rarely brought in veterans, mostly TDL additions as insurance against injury.
6/25/16 Harrington (24) for Rychel (22) #19 who never made it to the NHL
3/1/17 Quincey (32) for Prout (27) JAG
2/25/18 Letesu (37)) for 4th rd pick
2/26/18 Vanek (33) for Motte (22) 4C
2/26/18 Cole (28) for 3rd rd pick

2016 Gagner signed 1yr
2018 Riley Nash 3yr/$8.25M

2/22/19 Duchene for 1st
2/22/19 Dzingel for Duclair, (2) 2nd rd picks
2/29/10 Kinkaid for 5th
2/29/10 McQaid for 4th
Panarin was leaving as a FA so this was the last gasp attempt to go deep into the playoffs

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, its great to focus solely on the NHL and not worry about the AHL...where your players should (in theory) be coming from....

So far he "doesn't understand modern offense" and "doesn't concern himself with the AHL."

He's just another lazy asshole here to pilfer money from Comcast Dave while the gettin' is good.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
He sounds like he's rehearsed every single interview carefully with the organization because they know how important it is to get the fanbase to buy into him to help sagging ticket sales. He sounds like he's full of shit at best. At worst, he sounds like he doesn't really want to be doing this but couldn't turn down $16 million.
It doesn't sound like he's full of shit to me, and I do get the feeling he's actually excited to be coaching. I don't think he's lying when he says, 'look at the crest - yada yada yada'. I think he genuinely believes the antiquated thought that Philly is proud, and tough etc.

My issue with Torts isn't him - it's the process. Everything goes back to this team's management. I don't think he's going to phone it in, like AV did. Now, that doesn't mean I agree with his process at all. I'm worried he's 'too old' for the league and will only focus on the defensive side of the puck.

I look at this team this way: They are f***ed until mgmt is completely turned over. So, you may as well sit back and let it happen, because there's nothing you can do about it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Friedman mentioning that he wouldn’t be surprised if the Flyers look at Brunette now that he’s all the way out in Florida.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Friedman mentioning that he wouldn’t be surprised if the Flyers look at Brunette now that he’s all the way out in Florida.

When he uses phrases like "wouldn't be surprised" and "I wonder if" it's usually just baseless speculation because he needs to produce content lol

Reactions: Amorgus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It doesn't sound like he's full of shit to me, and I do get the feeling he's actually excited to be coaching. I don't think he's lying when he says, 'look at the crest - yada yada yada'. I think he genuinely believes the antiquated thought that Philly is proud, and tough etc.

My issue with Torts isn't him - it's the process. Everything goes back to this team's management. I don't think he's going to phone it in, like AV did. Now, that doesn't mean I agree with his process at all. I'm worried he's 'too old' for the league and will only focus on the defensive side of the puck.

I look at this team this way: They are f***ed until mgmt is completely turned over. So, you may as well sit back and let it happen, because there's nothing you can do about it.

You're more easily convinced than I am lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When he uses phrases like "wouldn't be surprised" and "I wonder if" it's usually just baseless speculation because he needs to produce content lol
I wouldn’t call it baseless. It’s a very plausible scenario. Conceptually, the guy who just interim-coached the presidents trophy winner and is somehow available as an assistant coach next year sounds like a prime target for a franchise that has openly stated they’re handing out blank checks.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Brunette seems like a slam dunk hire for their offense/PP coach.

His strength as a player was seeing the ice, he somehow managed a long productive career despite being slow, & he has PP coaching experience.

Plus, Fletcher gave him his first post-playing-career jobs.

But wait. He knows Fletcher from Minnesota — doesn’t that mean a bunch of posters here think he should be automatically disqualified?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You expected fire and brimstone in June? What's there to yell about?

And I'm always shocked when a HC confers with his GM about potential additions.
Though seems Torts was honest about not following juniors and the AHL, I suspect his attitude is I'll look at them in camp and make a judgment off what I see.

Torts did not favor veterans in CBJ and they rarely brought in veterans, mostly TDL additions as insurance against injury.
6/25/16 Harrington (24) for Rychel (22) #19 who never made it to the NHL
3/1/17 Quincey (32) for Prout (27) JAG
2/25/18 Letesu (37)) for 4th rd pick
2/26/18 Vanek (33) for Motte (22) 4C
2/26/18 Cole (28) for 3rd rd pick

2016 Gagner signed 1yr
2018 Riley Nash 3yr/$8.25M

2/22/19 Duchene for 1st
2/22/19 Dzingel for Duclair, (2) 2nd rd picks
2/29/10 Kinkaid for 5th
2/29/10 McQaid for 4th
Panarin was leaving as a FA so this was the last gasp attempt to go deep into the playoffs

Relying on tiny, unreliable sample sizes would be a red flag.

Hell, think of how you're annually wrong due to TC assessments.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So far he "doesn't understand modern offense" and "doesn't concern himself with the AHL."

He's just another lazy asshole here to pilfer money from Comcast Dave while the gettin' is good.

Hes a name with a good past. He'll placate the masses, put some butts in the seats because he yells at people, and thus "he cares" and "has heart".

Meanwhile, the Flyers on ice product will marginally improve at best, and The flyers will be in the same boat in two years.

Get off the merry go round while you can, people.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

It should infuriate the f*** out of everyone in the organization and the fans that their new f***ing hire of a coach doesn't pay attention to at least the minor league players in the system. I mean if torts as a coach wants a say in any of the players he may want on the team, he should definitely pay attention to the prospects the team currently has one step below the main club. If not just leave all the roster decisions to the GM (which is chuck so the team is f***ed anyway). God this hire is every bit as bad as the AV hire.

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
From what I've seen, About 70% of the comments online are negative about the direction of the Flyers, including Tort's hiring.
Plus, the casuals have been drifting away. Not to mention, people aren't going to have money to throw away on going to a sporting event.

I'm not positive that tort's hiring will placate the masses as much as it would have in the past.

Hopefully, everything will be so bad by 2025 that the organization will have no choice but to raze everything and start over so they can build back better and show more tolerance and pride towards building a team in the proper manner and start realizing that traditional orange Flyer man is bad

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
From what I've seen, About 70% of the comments online are negative about the direction of the Flyers, including Tort's hiring.
Plus, the casuals have been drifting away. Not to mention, people aren't going to have money to throw away on going to a sporting event.

I'm not positive that tort's hiring will placate the masses as much as it would have in the past.

Hopefully, everything will be so bad by 2025 that the organization will have no choice but to raze everything and start over so they can build back better and show more tolerance and pride towards building a team in the proper manner and start realizing that traditional orange Flyer man is bad
Unfortunately everything is so bad and has been since the playoff bubble. Unfortunately again no one in the organization recognizes how bad of a position the team is really in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad