'The Great Dane' - Freddy Andersen Appreciation Thread

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
6th best save percentage amongst starters, second in wins, second in minutes played. Man what a great trade!
Yup. Its basically replacing a backup in Reimer along with a low 1st round pick with a solid starting goalie who doesnt callapse at the end of the season.
Its a great trade

Reactions: DarkKnight

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I just hope he annihilates Raycroft's 37 win season record. Don't need that name tarnishing the record books.

72 games of sub .900 performance.... Yeah, no thanks.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I bet no one actually fesses up but there were a lot of people who just discredited Andersen every chance they got.

They said he was just a hot/cold goalie or they didn't like him anyway or he was an "average" starter. At this point IMO, there is a case to be made for a Vezina trophy this season.

Anyone wanna own being wrong about our starting goalie?

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
He was awful to start last season and he got flak for it. I don't think he was ever hated though and I feel like these threads are unnecessary. We all wish the team the its players the best.

Reactions: FlareKnight

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm sure you could pull quotes out of the Andersen trade thread. Tank nation and the Reimer fan club were not too happy about getting him as I recall.

Pretty sure I said "Lou knows goalies".

Reactions: 93LEAFS

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He was awful to start last season and he got flak for it. I don't think he was ever hated though and I feel like these threads are unnecessary. We all wish the team the its players the best.

There was some people who definitely straight up said they didn't think he was a good goalie, period. I was concerned about the struggles but the "average" starter stuff or that he ran hot/cold or he wasn't even a top 10 goalie was frustrating. Those people would disappear when he did well but would gladly flood threads if he had a bad game.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A lot of Reimer fans didn’t like the Andersen trade.

One suggested we put Andersen on waivers 3 weeks into last season when he got off to a rocky start.

Even this season, some people were still all over him due to the start, despite the team still winning.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s been playing better than any Leafs fsienhas in years. Should be a legit Vezina contender this year.....

That said, still also doesnt change the fact he ways playing poorly for the first part of this season (and the start of the season prior). Perhaps he’s just a slow starter

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

One suggested we put Andersen on waivers 3 weeks into last season when he got off to a rocky start.

Even this season, some people were still all over him due to the start, despite the team still winning.

Didn't someone say "Would Andersen even get claimed off waivers right now?"

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Lots of gate at the beginning of this season too. Andersen is a legit top 10 goalie in this league and if he sorts out his slow starts to the season he could be a top 3 goalie.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lots of gate at the beginning of this season too. Andersen is a legit top 10 goalie in this league and if he sorts out his slow starts to the season he could be a top 3 goalie.

He was really good in Winnipeg but then had a bad blip, we were also giving up really high scoring chances.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, this doesn't look like a thread that will be entirely toxic the whole time.

He had a bad start to the season and took some flak for it. Just like how he deserves nothing but props for being an elite goalie for the majority of the season. The right guy to have in net.

A better use of time and energy would be posting in and reviving the Andersen appreciation thread.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i dont hate him & obviously wanted him to succeed
I was definitely wrong about how good he could be though, and how important he is to the team. he's way better than I expected

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Another well deserved shutout. Continuing to be steadily great. Even on some nights that the Leafs play pretty solid defensively you still need the big saves and he's bringing them.

Let the strong games continue going ahead.
I just hope he annihilates Raycroft's 37 win season record. Don't need that name tarnishing the record books.

72 games of sub .900 performance.... Yeah, no thanks.
Seems like he's definitely on the right track for that accomplishment. Will sure look a lot better to have a guy playing really good putting his name on top of that record.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
He was really good in Winnipeg but then had a bad blip, we were also giving up really high scoring chances.
Sure, but a lot of Leaf fans jumped ship on him way too soon. There were more than enough posts about needing to trade for a new Goalie. Like most things with this team, patience is the best course of action.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I was totally against that trade. Even I thought that was ridiculous.

I would say the goalie coach earns a lot of credit as well. There were a lot of things that Andersen could not do in Anaheim (at least consistently) that he's doing better now. I think he could make our team a goaltending factory like LA.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Forget the Vezina.

Andy has literally done the impossible. He's killed the Reimer cult.

Bravo Andy, bravo. :clap:

(He should still win the Vezina tho)

Edit: also who doesn't love the "Freddy" chants at the ACC? When was the last time we had a goalie worthy of that?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Freddie is a stud goalie, has not peaked yet (last year his 1st as a true starter), and the team is still so young in front of him. Looking forward to seeing an experienced grizzled bunch of drafted Leaf players playing in front of him one day soon..

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
best tender we have had since cujo (including belfour)
a bit of playoff glory and ill put him above cujo too.
without andersen we are edmonton/buffalo

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Since Oct/17, Freddy, our MVP, nine pages.

Since Feb 3/18, Leivo asks for a trade, 50+ pages.

Carry on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad