'The Great Dane' - Freddy Andersen Appreciation Thread

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I don't care about his SV%... this guy flat out wins games.

In his nearly 200 GP, he has a win% of 0.584. Ken Dryden is the only one on this list who has a higher % (I can't find a more extensive list than this).
http://statshockey.homestead.com/alltimewins.html

Discuss.

tenor.gif

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
This was an excellent game for him. I think he does need to be better overall, and he will be.

We are 5-1 as a team with a goaltender sporting an .899 save percentage. If he is even a .915 goaltender going forward this season I like our odds of having a favourable playoff position.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't worry about Andy at all, he's proved he bounces back and he makes the saves when we need them...loosey goosey games he plays accordingly.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It's not just about how many, but, it's also about 'when' you make the saves.

Suffice it all to say, there are key times and events in a game during which making a save can have more of an effect on your teammates than other times.

I"m not saying, (cause I don't know the stats and numbers) Andy is making the big save and is 'clutch', I"m just saying maybe he is instilling confidence in the team by making saves at the right time and not giving up a goal that would be a game losing goal, so to speak.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
He looked a lot like he did in the Winnipeg game. Great angles, made the saves look easy. Also, had better puck luck. Seems like a lot of seeing-eye shots eluded him the last few.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If Freddy sees it, he usually stops it. That's about all I ask tbh. The issue so far has been screened goals and tips 3 feet in front of him. No goalie stops those consistently. That's on the D. While he hasn't looked elite thus far, he's certainly talented enough to be a top 10 goalie and that's more than enough for this team.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I like Freddy's prickly personality. He was miffed when they asked him if it felt good to get a shutout! :laugh: Guy is totally humorless, which I like in a goalie for some reason.

Would just like to see more consistency in his play. With our aggressive style and sometimes suspect team D, there are going to be nights when we need him to stand on his head.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Was great to have playoff Freddy back. He must have gone back to the PO zone with WSH. Hope it sticks! He was geeat!

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
@leburn98 : Awesome pic :thumbu:

Freddy cant be happy with his season opening. He will end the season with .918 as usual though
Other goalies has been strugling right out of the gate. Price, Jones to name a few

Reactions: iSophagus

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's just one game but if a goalie has to struggle, I'd rather it be in October rather than March-June.

Pretty impressive that the Leafs are 5-1 and could easily be 6-0 with Freddie putting up .899SV%. Shows you how good this team is and how much better they can be.

I think Andersen is easily going to have the record for most wins by a Leafs goalie. Might even get it by February. Finally it won't be Raycroft who owns that...

Andersen should get 40+ wins this season.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It's just one game but if a goalie has to struggle, I'd rather it be in October rather than March-June.

Pretty impressive that the Leafs are 5-1 and could easily be 6-0 with Freddie putting up .899SV%. Shows you how good this team is and how much better they can be.

I think Andersen is easily going to have the record for most wins by a Leafs goalie. Might even get it by February. Finally it won't be Raycroft who owns that...

Andersen should get 40+ wins this season.

I can absolutely see him hitting 37+ wins. He's about as steady and reliable as they come. He does well with a heavy workload, and seems to play up to the competition/moment.

<duckandcover> I liked Raycroft, though. </duckandcover>

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Freddie putting up .899SV%. Shows you how good this team is and how much better they can be.

Scary thought. Leafs are getting better on team defense, that sv% will go up.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Who cares about SV%... as long as we pull out the win.

Andersen's record as a Leaf in 72GP: 38-17-14
Andersen's record in his career in 197GP: 115-43-26

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He's stolen the last two wins which is absolutely great, both the Canadiens and the Caps had some great chances and Freddie stoned them, so far so good. He's not perfect by any means but damn he's played better then that average so far

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We all know what Freddy is capable of, but he needs to play the way he did last night on a consistent basis.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
pretty much every goalie in the league can domonate for stretches.

what seperates the best is their ability to do it most consistently.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We all know what Freddy is capable of, but he needs to play the way he did last night on a consistent basis.

Actually, he doesn't. I mean I know what you're getting at and you're right in the sense that every player should strive for consistency but all he really needs to do is play well enough for us to win. Most nights, with our offence, average Freddy is enough. And if he can raise his level of play when we need it ...

The commentator was going on about Fuhr last night, about how he played well enough to win and if that meant not allowing the first goal, he was able to do that but if they won 6-5 and it meant not allowing the 6th goal, he was able to do that. I think he was overdoing it but there was also some validity to it IMO. I wouldn't quite compare the Leafs to the Oilers (though there are similarities) and I wouldn't compare Freddy to Fuhr but still, there was a nugget of truth in there.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I like Freddy's prickly personality. He was miffed when they asked him if it felt good to get a shutout! :laugh: Guy is totally humorless, which I like in a goalie for some reason.

Would just like to see more consistency in his play. With our aggressive style and sometimes suspect team D, there are going to be nights when we need him to stand on his head.

Don't think I have seen him smile, ever.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he was on those great anaheim teams, and to a lesser extent, a leafs team last year, so he's been on good teams. he wouldn't win games if he was on bad teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad