The Future of Stephen Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Chemistry is the only thing holding this guy back. He needs to get his head out of his ass.

One of the cbc broadcasters said that tonight. Said weiss's problem is in the 6 inches between his ears. He is probably repeating something he has heard

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think he looked terrible, though certainly he is on a different page than his teammates a lot. Still expecting a guy to shine that has been out for as long as him is a bit much in my opinion. He looked alright physically which was a good sign.

I think his real issue is looking fine isn't really enough for this current team and I don't mean that in relation to his contract.

Weiss looking fine is a lot harder than Cleary, Bert and Sammy looking like garbage. There is a lot of competition up front, heck Jurco might find this out the hard way if he doesn't get his *** in gear. The team is getting better and just looking okay won't get it done, especially as his younger competition continues to grow and get better.

A little stunning though just how much he seems to dislike the system. Agree with those commenting, wonder if he was kind of allowed to do his own thing on the Panthers all these years because they were so bad and the coach just gave up stressing system hockey to him or something.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Babs was happy with Weiss and said he likes his attitude and his progression on FSD post game.

Weiss will get better.

That's good to know.
he should be given a fair window for assessment. at least 5 games with offensive linemates. second line hasn't done much scoring. try him with tatar and jurco (sheahan has not been as good).

Like hell he hasn't been good. Sheahan's a stud.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think he looked terrible, though certainly he is on a different page than his teammates a lot. Still expecting a guy to shine that has been out for as long as him is a bit much in my opinion. He looked alright physically which was a good sign.

I think his real issue is looking fine isn't really enough for this current team and I don't mean that in relation to his contract.

Weiss looking fine is a lot harder than Cleary, Bert and Sammy looking like garbage. There is a lot of competition up front, heck Jurco might find this out the hard way if he doesn't get his *** in gear. The team is getting better and just looking okay won't get it done, especially as his younger competition continues to grow and get better.

A little stunning though just how much he seems to dislike the system. Agree with those commenting, wonder if he was kind of allowed to do his own thing on the Panthers all these years because they were so bad and the coach just gave up stressing system hockey to him or something.

Play him at wing, because I don't think he'll be able to play center under Babcock. I think maybe Babcock resents that, since that's why he was brought here.

But I think he could be OK and contribute on the wing on this team, but don't know if Babcock would be lenient enough to allow it to happen. Since we have a lot of options at forward.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

Wings played the system at pretty high pace I dont think Weiss was able to make decisions fast enough. He tried to go cross ice but when that was not possible and he kinda had indecisiveness moments that closed all the options for him pretty quick.

It certainly didnt look very good for Weiss tonight but otherwise he looked kinda ok. I wouldnt worry too much about him and our system based on this one. If he gets another chance he should know what to expect. Whether he will get another chance, though, is really up to Franzen's status.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Play him at wing, because I don't think he'll be able to play center under Babcock. I think maybe Babcock resents that, since that's why he was brought here.

But I think he could be OK and contribute on the wing on this team, but don't know if Babcock would be lenient enough to allow it to happen. Since we have a lot of options at forward.

I think this is the course of action right now and probably a good read on the situation. We will see what happens, if he is in next game I expect at least a little gain, he was caught a couple times really over thinking things tonight. I expected some of that, but like Winger I don't like just how lost a guy with his pedigree and talent looked at times. We can talk about building his confidence, but he needs to show a little more progression next few games, especially if he gets several consecutively.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Yeah sure, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Sheahan, Helm, Weiss, Franzen, Andersson, and Glendening can all play center. There are options. I don't see why we don't run him on wing.

I think this is the course of action right now and probably a good read on the situation. We will see what happens, if he is in next game I expect at least a little gain, he was caught a couple times really over thinking things tonight. I expected some of that, but like Winger I don't like just how lost a guy with his pedigree and talent looked at times. We can talk about building his confidence, but he needs to show a little more progression next few games, especially if he gets several consecutively.

Guy hasn't really played much the last 2 years and his confidence seems low. I think he needs to get a few games in. But if Franzen and Datsyuk are ready to go for the next game, he's probably going to sit again.

qingsatan

Oct 18, 2014
wat

Sheahan has been dynamite.

sheahan has done very little to create actual scoring chances (at least jurco, though tentative, has come close in hitting a couple of posts). the only threat of that line right now is tatar and the priority for this team should be secondary scoring more so than defense (while itself not ideal is at least manageable thus far).

wings are better off with weiss as an additional offensive threat than being a non-factor. sheahan can always be relied upon on the third line but we will not get weiss to play defensive hockey. our forwards have been over-stressed to be defensively minded and we need more dynamic options in putting the puck in the net. if weiss continues to fail (after a fair chance), then dispose of him but we should maximize our assets if/while plausible.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
sheahan has done very little to create actual scoring chances (at least jurco, though tentative, has come close in hitting a couple of posts). the only threat of that line right now is tatar and the priority for this team should be secondary scoring more so than defense (while itself not ideal is at least manageable thus far).

wings are better off with weiss as an additional offensive threat than being a non-factor. sheahan can always be relied upon on the third line but we will not get weiss to play defensive hockey. our forwards have been over-stressed to be defensively minded and we need more dynamic options in putting the puck in the net. if weiss continues to fail (after a fair chance), then dispose of him but we should maximize our assets if/while plausible.

Completely disagree with this. Sheahan is playing great, he really provides great connectivity for that line in the offensive and defensive zones. While his game can be understated at times, I really think he and not Tatar is what is making that line go and dominate possession time. Tatar and he are exceptional in that regard, but he really provides the defensive relief and the quick transition game the play.

The points will come, I actually think the kid line explodes on Montreal if they are allowed to stay together depending on who is back. Right now Jurco has been the weak link on that line.

I really wish they would let Riley PK too, though loving the effort of the pk so far. I think he is an answer in terms of that long-term though.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He looked pretty meh this game. He didn't look terrible, some bad turnovers but he was alright defensively and along the boards. He was pretty bad on the PP before Babcock took him off of it. Weiss just seems pretty redundant on this team and a waste of cap space.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

UMM no sorry you're just wrong! He is doing a very good job. As is the second line. OMG they have not lit the lamp yet bust it up!!! They have gotten very good looks, And at times looked very good. Give it some time. As for Weiss he needs to earn a spot back and sorry it just look's like he can't do it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
UMM no sorry you're just wrong! He is doing a very good job. As is the second line. OMG they have not lit the lamp yet bust it up!!! They have gotten very good looks, And at times looked very good. Give it some time. As for Weiss he needs to earn a spot back and sorry it just look's like he can't do it.

The same time factor should apply to Weiss, not sure he will get it, but pleading patience while ignoring it in his case seems like a pretty big double standard.

The kid line has looked better to be sure, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with Weiss from a health stand point and that is encouraging. A guy that has missed almost two years of hockey has timing issues and hiccups in quick twitch thinking at the NHL level, that isn't exactly shocking. We will see, I don't think he was awful tonight and his skating has encouraged me to start the year, if he could get a couple games to get in the groove it would help him a lot. I don't believe he is no longer a NHL player unlike the other guy dawning grey jerseys to begin this year.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
The same time factor should apply to Weiss, not sure he will get it, but pleading patience while ignoring it in his case seems like a pretty big double standard.

The kid line has looked better to be sure, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with Weiss from a health stand point and that is encouraging. A guy that has missed almost two years of hockey has timing issues and hiccups in quick twitch thinking at the NHL level, that isn't exactly shocking. We will see, I don't think he was awful tonight and his skating has encouraged me to start the year, if he could get a couple games to get in the groove it would help him a lot. I don't believe he is no longer a NHL player unlike the other guy dawning grey jerseys to begin this year.
Don't get me wrong, I do not wish ill will. Nor am I saying he is bad, I just think other people be it in games or practice have out played him. It very well could be rink rust, But I just don't see him getting a shot. I hope he can turn it around with our team. It may not be fair but pro sports are not about fair, It's who is doing better.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I dont really care if he "had a good attitude" he needs to produce at a level where he is worth his salary.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I really think he and not Tatar is what is making that line go and dominate possession time.

Possession time, maybe. But it is Tatar creating virtually all the scoring chances.

Sheahan hasn't been bad, but, offensively, he hasn't been dynamite or great or a stud either. He hasn't created as many scoring chances as a 2nd-line center should, and he has 4 shots (fewest on the team aside from Weiss), 0 goals, and 1 assist in 5 games. While getting 3:37 of PP time per game.

He needs to be better.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I dont really care if he "had a good attitude" he needs to produce at a level where he is worth his salary.

Bad finance. The money spent on Weiss is already spent. IF he is in the top 12 players then so be it.

Id like him to find some value and return to at least 3rd line Centre and be given some time there to reestablish himself as a hockey professional.

Actual Thought*

I think the staff understands Weiss is a human being. It is going to take some time for him to get back up to speed. They also know that they have him locked up for a few more years at $5 mil a year. I would expect them to be patient and conservative with him. They want him to have the best possible chance to succeed as a RW for obvious reasons.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Possession time, maybe. But it is Tatar creating virtually all the scoring chances.

Sheahan hasn't been bad, but, offensively, he hasn't been dynamite or great or a stud either. He hasn't created as many scoring chances as a 2nd-line center should, and he has 4 shots (fewest on the team aside from Weiss), 0 goals, and 1 assist in 5 games. While getting 3:37 of PP time per game.

He needs to be better.

Team's PP units as a whole are terrible right now. Well, not terrible, but certainly not producing.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

He needs to be better.

The real albatross on that 2nd power play unit is DeKeyser. Hopefully he will develop, he had some nice shifts last night but I suspect that's largely due to the opponent. If only Detroit had an offensive d-man who could distribute the puck on that second power play unit.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
The real albatross on that 2nd power play unit is DeKeyser. Hopefully he will develop, he had some nice shifts last night but I suspect that's largely due to the opponent. If only Detroit had an offensive d-man who could distribute the puck on that second power play unit.

Totally agree. DeKeyser should have never been put on the PP it's just not his strength. It's really too bad that we don't have a guy like Brendan Smith who excels at this.....oh wait

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Totally agree. DeKeyser should have never been put on the PP it's just not his strength. It's really too bad that we don't have a guy like Brendan Smith who excels at this.....oh wait

What games are you watching? DeKeyser was fantastic on the PP last game. Kept the puck in multiple times, kept the play alive under pressure, distributing the puck... what specifically is he failing at, in your eyes?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Team's PP units as a whole are terrible right now. Well, not terrible, but certainly not producing.

Valid point (and I don't know, "terrible" is probably fair). I just want to see more offense created from Sheahan, given what I saw out of him last season.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Dekeyser has been fine. I was worried at first, but he's so smart about what he's doing out there that things are working out for him. He's successfully distributing the puck from the point without turning it over, and doesn't shoot pucks into legs, which is the worst thing the point guy can do in the type of PP the Wings are using (something which Kronwall has done multiple times), because it so easily leads to breakaways and 2-on-1s.

I wouldn't mind seeing Smith on the PP, but it cannot be in the role DeKeyser is in. Too scary. Smith isn't as sure-handed with the puck and is certainly no better a distributor than DeKeyser. If Smith gets on a unit, it should be as the wide guy on the right side, near the half boards, where he can most effectively rip his shot, which is a strength of his.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The guy's confidence is at rock bottom. He needs to get a few games under his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad