The Future of Stephen Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If we were to beat Phillys offer on weber AND make it high enough where Nashville wouldn't match, we'd end up paying him around 12 mil per season, he is a great player but having that much locked up in one guy does NOT make this team better, it would completely demolish our depth.

If we had done that you can be sure that nyquist and Tatar and smith and dekeyser would be unaffordable.

The difference is that I don't see that as a problem.

Nyquist is the only player I'd be reluctant to part with; otherwise, it's a long list of replaceable guys that I don't see ever delivering another Cup, and since winning Cups is all I care about, for another sip of The Holy Grail, I'd send anybody and everybody packing, if that's what it took.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The difference is that I don't see that as a problem.

Nyquist is the only player I'd be reluctant to part with; otherwise, it's a long list of replaceable guys that I don't see ever delivering another Cup, and since winning Cups is all I care about, for another sip of The Holy Grail, I'd send anybody and everybody packing, if that's what it took.

Cups are won with depth, not one player. it would deplete our forward and defensive depth.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Cups are won with depth, not one player. it would deplete our forward and defensive depth.

Cups are not won with a bunch of good depth guys.

Even with depth you need star power. We do not have that on the back-end. Kronwall is arguable but behind him we have nothing, really.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Cups are not won with a bunch of good depth guys.

Even with depth you need star power. We do not have that on the back-end. Kronwall is arguable but behind him we have nothing, really.

^ This.

If you believe that the Tatars, Jurcos, Smiths, and Dekeysers of the world will one day be enough to hoist the Cup, then you absolutely keep them.

I don't.

Therefore, I'd be happy to ship them off in exchange for one or more players that I think would be the difference.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
As per the team's official Facebook account, he's been assigned to Grand Rapids on a conditioning stint as of today.

CBA says -
13.8 Conditioning Loan. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days.

The Griffins play Wednesday and Friday, my guess is he'll play both games and then come back.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
^ This.

If you believe that the Tatars, Jurcos, Smiths, and Dekeysers of the world will one day be enough to hoist the Cup, then you absolutely keep them.

I don't.

Therefore, I'd be happy to ship them off in exchange for one or more players that I think would be the difference.

Then you get a top heavy team like the Penguins or the Caps of a few years ago. Dominant in the regular season but ultimately choke to teams with depth throughout the lineup like Boston, Chicago, LA... You need star power and quality depth.

Those players are quality depth. Trading them for star power is just a sideways move unless you think we have the prospects to replace them. At forward, I'm not sure we do. Maybe on defense.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Then you get a top heavy team like the Penguins or the Caps of a few years ago. Dominant in the regular season but ultimately choke to teams with depth throughout the lineup like Boston, Chicago, LA... You need star power and quality depth.

Those players are quality depth. Trading them for star power is just a sideways move unless you think we have the prospects to replace them. At forward, I'm not sure we do. Maybe on defense.

At the end of the day, you have to give to get. Defensively we have one elite defenseman and a handful of good to terrible ones. Right now we are not contenders despite all this depth we have, and since guys like Mantha are coming up the ranks and looking to improve and take a top 6 spot, there will be way too many guys for the number of spots we intend for them to fill. You have to cut the depth a little to obtain quality players through trade.

Star power for depth is not always a sideways move.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Good move. Weiss is gaining nothing sitting in the press box. Let's see what we have with this guy. I'm optimistic he can still play but can't say I'm not worried. He is apparently not showing much in practice which is bothersome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad