The Future of Stephen Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Despite being shut down most of last year to rehabilitate injuries and assurances from management he'd be ready to go at the start of this season, Stephen Weiss is a healthy scratch for the first game. Some would suggest Stephan didn't get to play with good players during the preaseaon to really show what he's got, but in the end he couldn't even beat out Nestrasil. That's how little faith management has in Weiss being able to perform when it actually counts.

At this point I have no hope to Weiss. When you have as much time as he did to prepare for camp to be beaten out by a rookie is alarming. Riley Sheahan has emerged as this team's #2 center (I really believe that). He's everything Babcock wants: size, skill, and goes hard to the net every play.

Unfortunately for Weiss, I believe his time here has quickly come to an end and his career in the NHL is likely over. I don't see a team in the league who will want to take a look at him given his salary.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
guess buyout next summer is the most likely option.

small chance he still improves or bounces back somewhat. injuries have taken their toll and he will never be the same player as he was in florida but even 2nd/3rd line tweener who can score in 40s or so would be win at this point.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
He'll get a chance under Blashill most likely.

Seems he's just not in Babcock's good graces which doesn't bode well for him this season.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He'll get a chance under Blashill most likely.

Seems he's just not in Babcock's good graces which doesn't bode well for him this season.

I don't really buy that. If the Wings lose tonight and don't look very good, the chances Weiss is benched for game #2 is pretty slim IMO.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Despite being shut down most of last year to rehabilitate injuries and assurances from management he'd be ready to go at the start of this season, Stephen Weiss is a healthy scratch for the first game. Some would suggest Stephan didn't get to play with good players during the preaseaon to really show what he's got, but in the end he couldn't even beat out Nestrasil. That's how little faith management has in Weiss being able to perform when it actually counts.

At this point I have no hope to Weiss. When you have as much time as he did to prepare for camp to be beaten out by a rookie is alarming. Riley Sheahan has emerged as this team's #2 center (I really believe that). He's everything Babcock wants: size, skill, and goes hard to the net every play.

Unfortunately for Weiss, I believe his time here has quickly come to an end and his career in the NHL is likely over. I don't see a team in the league who will want to take a look at him given his salary.

What's interesting is that Kevin Porter - a guy who, for whatever reason, played in half of our pre-season games and I guess was supposed to be acting as Weiss' trigger man - is not only an AHLer, but Blashill has him slated to play on the 4th line. In the AHL.

Now, I'm entirely open to the idea that Weiss will stay average. I'm not a fan of his by any means and for as "big" of a move it was to sign him, I was very apathetic to it when it happened. But how on earth are you going to get a guy going by saddling him with 2nd line AHL waiver fodder on one side and a 28 year-old 4th line AHLer on the other?

Call me crazy, but if I spent $25k on a used car, and after a few months it wasn't running well, I sure as hell wouldn't just stick it in the garage and hope that the next time I started it up it was all better again. No. I would at least check the oil, change the fuel filter, or whatever other low-cost issues I thought might be the problem before deciding that I messed up mightily in buying the car.

That's my issue with the handling of Weiss thus far. There seem to be a few low-cost routes of getting him going (i.e. giving him semi-talented linemates in a 3rd line role) that Babs and co. and have simply refused to try. And for whatever reason, they've talked themselves into thinking that the best course of action is somehow just to let Weiss' engine rest. Personally, I think they're just asking for more rust. But what do I know? #BestCoachInTheNHL.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I don't really buy that. If the Wings lose tonight and don't look very good, the chances Weiss is benched for game #2 is pretty slim IMO.

I didn't mean he'll be scratched all season under Babcock.

Babcock will get him some minutes but if the pre-season is any indication he'll get his minutes on the 4th line, not in a scoring role with offensive minded players.

I don't see him getting much of a shot in his proper role until a new coach is running the team.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think people on this forum are making way to big of a deal over him starting as a healthy scratch. This isn't a slap on the face, or a sign that "babcock dislikes" Weiss.

The truth is Stephen has played in 42 games in the last 28 months...

Babcock is just giving him a low pressure environment to get his game, legs and lungs to a sustainable NHL level. Weiss will get his opportunity to be an effective NHL player; what he does with that opportunity is anyone's guess. But mark my words, he will get his chance.

Can we stop trying to read too much into our day 1 roster? We know this is not our finalized roster.

Actual Thought*

What's interesting is that Kevin Porter - a guy who, for whatever reason, played in half of our pre-season games and I guess was supposed to be acting as Weiss' trigger man - is not only an AHLer, but Blashill has him slated to play on the 4th line. In the AHL.

Now, I'm entirely open to the idea that Weiss will stay average. I'm not a fan of his by any means and for as "big" of a move it was to sign him, I was very apathetic to it when it happened. But how on earth are you going to get a guy going by saddling him with 2nd line AHL waiver fodder on one side and a 28 year-old 4th line AHLer on the other?

Call me crazy, but if I spent $25k on a used car, and after a few months it wasn't running well, I sure as hell wouldn't just stick it in the garage and hope that the next time I started it up it was all better again. No. I would at least check the oil, change the fuel filter, or whatever other low-cost issues I thought might be the problem before deciding that I messed up mightily in buying the car.

That's my issue with the handling of Weiss thus far. There seem to be a few low-cost routes of getting him going (i.e. giving him semi-talented linemates in a 3rd line role) that Babs and co. and have simply refused to try. And for whatever reason, they've talked themselves into thinking that the best course of action is somehow just to let Weiss' engine rest. Personally, I think they're just asking for more rust. But what do I know? #BestCoachInTheNHL.

You do know that this is only game one right? They can see what his energy level is, what he does without the puck, how he is skating, ect without putting him on a line with Gretzky. They don't just look at the box score and build their line up. I am sure he will get some playing time very soon. What he does with it remains to be seen.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
He's a sunk cost. If he's not good enough to play, then bench him. Buyout next summer.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I'm all for getting rid of a player if he isn't performing, but the player needs to get a fair shake to make that determination. There are also underlying issues (his contract) that make it even more important that Weiss is given the opportunity to succeed. If he is healthy and has another poor season, management needs to trade him or buy him out.

I still think Weiss is capable of being a productive top six player, but it's not going to happen if he doesn't get extended time in the top six. If Abdelkader can get 100+ games to fail in the top six, Babcock can at least give Weiss one season to prove he is still capable of performing.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I didn't mean he'll be scratched all season under Babcock.

Babcock will get him some minutes but if the pre-season is any indication he'll get his minutes on the 4th line, not in a scoring role with offensive minded players.

I don't see him getting much of a shot in his proper role until a new coach is running the team.

I agree with you Flashy, I don't see Weiss being any more other then a 4th line center at best. I have to believe that Sheahan has the 2nd line center job pretty much sewn up and It's kind of hard to imagine that we're paying a player $4.9 million to center the 4th line though. I was really thrilled when Detroit got Weiss as i have pretty much followed his career here in Florida! But now I'm really wondering if he will last these next 4 years here.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
But how on earth are you going to get a guy going by saddling him with 2nd line AHL waiver fodder on one side and a 28 year-old 4th line AHLer on the other?

I don't think management is that oblivious; they realize playing him with those players won't likely result in much offense. I just think they realize Weiss is broken goods at this point. Despite playing with scrubs in the pre-season Weiss apparently didn't even do enough of the little things (skating, puck pursuit, passing, faceoffs etc) that reassured management he's capable of playing a top 9 role on the big club.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Let's wait for 20 games to see what condition Weiss really is. It just too early to determine anything about his abilities to help the team.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Babcock doesn't

Well I bet Filppula wouldn't be scratched tonight after playing the preseason with non-NHLers.

I will add one possibility:

Last offseason after having a conversation with Babcock before signing, Weiss said he was pressured to work his tail off and be in the best shape possible. In doing so, he injured himself. So this offseason he said that was going to be smarter and not work out as hard to over push himself. Did he come into camp out of shape in Babcock's eyes?

But regardless, it boggles my mind how you can go through an entire preseason and not find out what you have by playing him with proper linemates. That's unacceptable IMO. If you played Weiss with legit top 6 players and he looked bad, fine. That's one thing. But to not even give him a real chance off the bat? That bugs the **** out of me.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Let's wait for 20 games to see what condition Weiss really is. It just too early to determine anything about his abilities to help the team.

I'm not worried about his condition. By all accounts he is healthy. I'm worried about his being scratched and if he's ever going to get a real chance with some decent talent.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I will add one possibility:

Last offseason after having a conversation with Babcock before signing, Weiss said he was pressured to work his tail off and be in the best shape possible. In doing so, he injured himself. So this offseason he said that was going to be smarter and not work out as hard to over push himself. Did he come into camp out of shape in Babcock's eyes?

But regardless, it boggles my mind how you can go through an entire preseason and not find out what you have by playing him with proper linemates. That's unacceptable IMO. If you played Weiss with legit top 6 players and he looked bad, fine. That's one thing. But to not even give him a real chance off the bat? That bugs the **** out of me.

yeah I mean....isn't that the kind of thing the preseason is FOR?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
To add to this and show the inconsistency:

When we asked "why is Cleary playing Sheahan and Tatar?"

It was because "they have to see what they have in him."

So then why wasn't Weiss playing with quality players to see what they had in him?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This whole playing favorites has gotten ridiculous.

He is willing to let Gator play in the top six for 100+ games, but won't give Weiss competent line mates or a chance to prove he is still a quality top six player.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think people on this forum are making way to big of a deal over him starting as a healthy scratch. This isn't a slap on the face, or a sign that "babcock dislikes" Weiss.

Babcock is just giving him a low pressure environment to get his game, legs and lungs to a sustainable NHL level. Weiss will get his opportunity to be an effective NHL player; what he does with that opportunity is anyone's guess. But mark my words, he will get his chance.

Can we stop trying to read too much into our day 1 roster? We know this is not our finalized roster.

Agree with this. He's missed a lot of hockey, let him get up to speed via practices or game time here and there; Babcock probably feels that he's just not there yet - he needs a little more time, which is understandable.

Sure he played with minor league line mates, but someone who is of a caliber to play 2nd line center should have stood out more whoever his line mates were. No flashes of brilliance dashed by poor line mates; no great set-ups shanked by poor line mates, no high tempo rushes or beating of defensemen one-on-one. I can see his line mates being a factor in his not putting up points, but having watched him he did not stand out and did not stand above these mediocre line mates in any way.
Hopefully through motivation and working through this he'll get back to where he used to be, based on the three games of his that I saw he was not noticeable in the least, and that's unfortunate.
Hopefully he'll get back into the rhythm and get his mojo back or whatever he needs to become the player we want him to be and the player he used to be. I live in S. Fla and have seen Weiss play for a long time and I'd love to see the Weiss of old again. Loved to watch that guy. What I've seen so far is an imposter or a very low quality replica.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

This x10. Patience, people. Game #1 does not apply to games #2-82.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad