CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
It's amazing what a monster of a team they have built in Toronto. I thought last season was a bit of a fluke but the numbers speak for themselves, this is a team for the ages. If they were in western Canada you'd be hearing incredible amounts of hype but since they play in the CFL's smallest market (in terms of actual fans) they go below the radar. Only Kelly has any star power, maybe Ouellette too.

Ryan Dinwiddie has completely blown away my expectations for him as HC.

Pinball looks like an absolute genius with what he has put together. I'm impressed.

• Love
Reactions: snowkiddin

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Welp, Dyce coming back as head coach has solidified my stance on NOT attending any RedBlacks games next season.

I can watch stupid coaching FOR FREE on TV, so I won't even go to a RedBlacks game even if offered a FREE ticket.

IMHO, this Ottawa RedBlacks team is embarrassing for the city. I hope season ticket renewals drop like a rock off of a cliff. Invest in the Ottawa Senators, as they are up and coming and way more entertaining even when they lose.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Bye Weeks - BC (12-6), Saskatchewan (6-12) and Edmonton (4-14)
There's a lot of stupid things with the CFL schedule but having 3 teams on Bye week in the last week of the season seems really dumb. I know with 9 teams that someone needs to have a bye but do not need 3 teams here. I've been following CFL for about 40 years and 9 teams has essentially been the norm.

Tank44's CFL schedule fixes
1. Get a 10th team in the Maritimes or Quebec City
2. The 4 holiday weekends in the season to have protected rivalry games. Canada Day, August long weekend, Labour Day & Thanksgiving.
A> BC-Cgy, Edm-Ssk, Wpg-Ham, Tor-Ott, Mtl-QC
B> BC-Edm, Cgy-Wpg, Ssk-Ott, Tor-Mtl, Ham-QC
C> Cgy-Edm, Ssk, Wpg, BC-QC, Ham-Tor, Mtl-Ott
D> BC-Wpg, Cgy-Ssk, Edm-Mtl, Tor-QC, Ott-Ham
3. Only 2 teams on a bye at any given week. Keep 2 byes per team. Byes are only in week 5-16. The two teams on Bye play the following Thursday

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Welp, Dyce coming back as head coach has solidified my stance on NOT attending any RedBlacks games next season.

I can watch stupid coaching FOR FREE on TV, so I won't even go to a RedBlacks game even if offered a FREE ticket.

IMHO, this Ottawa RedBlacks team is embarrassing for the city. I hope season ticket renewals drop like a rock off of a cliff. Invest in the Ottawa Senators, as they are up and coming and way more entertaining even when they lose.

What is it with Ottawa and football... 2 winning seasons since 1980, which is a mind-blowing stat.

I feel for the fans there. I realize that you can't win all the time, but that is an incredible amount of losing punctuated by two stretches where there was no team in town. That kind of history really wears down a fanbase.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
PLAYOFFS?! Yes it's CFL playoff time as this week we get the Division Semi-Finals.

East Semi-Final - Hamilton at Montreal Sat. 3PM ET
  • Season Series - Montreal 3-0
  • Playoff History - Hamilton 18-11
  • Last Playoff Meeting - 2022 East Semi, Montreal won 28-17
The Alouettes may have been the streakiest team this season. They won 2, then lost 3, won 4, lost 4 then won 5. Despite that, they still looking like the favourites for this game since Hamilton also had their share of shaky moments this season. The Grey Cup is in Hamilton this season but the TiCats are gonna have to take the long way around to get to the big dance. They're also putting their faith in a QB platoon of both Bo Levi Mitchell and Matthew Shiltz behind centre.

West Semi-Final - Calgary at BC Sat. 6:30PM ET
  • Season Series - BC 2-1
  • Playoff History - Calgary 11-5
  • Last Playoff Meeting - 2022 West Semi, BC won 30-16
This had to be the most frustrating season the Stampeders have had in a while, yet they still stumble into the playoffs despite a 6-12 record. They got one huge win in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago but might be hard pressed to replicate that since the Lions will be eager to get another shot at Winnipeg who's waiting for them in the West final. Calgary also hasn't won any playoff games since their last Grey Cup title in 2018.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
In the East, MTL is 11-0 vs HAM, CGY, EDM, OTT, SSK. 0-7 vs BC, WPG, TOR. Hamilton has a couple shockers on their record beating WPG and BC this year, but it's not enough. Montreal beats Hamilton, IMO.

I think ppl are letting a game where BC barely had anything to play for affect their decision making too much. It's 12-6 against 6-12. I think BC takes it.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Hamilton put in Bo-Levi much too late today. It's a rematch of the East Finals from last year. Argos will have to be on there game because Montreal played them very tough all year.

Not shocked to see Edwards showing poor sportsmanship near the end of the game throwing some punches.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
In the East, MTL is 11-0 vs HAM, CGY, EDM, OTT, SSK. 0-7 vs BC, WPG, TOR. Hamilton has a couple shockers on their record beating WPG and BC this year, but it's not enough. Montreal bears Hamilton, IMO.

I think ppl are letting a game where BC barely had anything to play for affect their decision making too much. It's 12-6 against 6-12. I think BC takes it.

Apparently TSN agrees.

1699138465468.png

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Four teams remain in the CFL Postseason. This week is the Division Finals.

East Final - Montreal at Toronto Sat. 3PM ET
  • Season Series - Toronto 3-0
  • Playoff History - Montreal 9-6
  • Last Playoff Meeting - 2022 East Final, Toronto won 34-27
The Argos 16-2 record matches Edmonton's 1989 mark for the best regular season record. However, that Edmonton team lost in the division final round to Saskatchewan so a little history may be working against the Argos here. This is also the the first really meaningful game they've had in Toronto since about midway through the season. The Alouettes managed to work their way past the TiCats (ensuring the title drought in Hamilton will continue another year) but Montreal is facing some long odds in this one.

West Final - BC at Winnipeg Sat. 6:30PM ET
  • Season Series - Winnipeg 2-1
  • Playoff History - BC 7-4
  • Last Playoff Meeting - 2022 West Final, Winnipeg won 28-20
It was established early on in the season that these two were the class of the West so it's probably no surprise that they're meeting up here again. Somewhat oddly, the road team won all three meetings in the regular season and their OT game in Week 18 was the only one of the three games that was close. The Blue Bombers won their last four games of the regular season to help get them home field in this game, but it won't be overly cold in Winnipeg on Saturday so the weather may not trip up a dome team like the Lions.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Four teams remain in the CFL Postseason. This week is the Division Finals.

East Final - Montreal at Toronto Sat. 3PM ET
  • Season Series - Toronto 3-0
  • Playoff History - Montreal 9-6
  • Last Playoff Meeting - 2022 East Final, Toronto won 34-27
The Argos 16-2 record matches Edmonton's 1989 mark for the best regular season record. However, that Edmonton team lost in the division final round to Saskatchewan so a little history may be working against the Argos here. This is also the the first really meaningful game they've had in Toronto since about midway through the season. The Alouettes managed to work their way past the TiCats (ensuring the title drought in Hamilton will continue another year) but Montreal is facing some long odds in this one.

West Final - BC at Winnipeg Sat. 6:30PM ET
  • Season Series - Winnipeg 2-1
  • Playoff History - BC 7-4
  • Last Playoff Meeting - 2022 West Final, Winnipeg won 28-20
It was established early on in the season that these two were the class of the West so it's probably no surprise that they're meeting up here again. Somewhat oddly, the road team won all three meetings in the regular season and their OT game in Week 18 was the only one of the three games that was close. The Blue Bombers won their last four games of the regular season to help get them home field in this game, but it won't be overly cold in Winnipeg on Saturday so the weather may not trip up a dome team like the Lions.

The bolded in the quote is not true. Winnipeg destroyed BC 50-14 on August 3rd at IG Field in Winnipeg.

@ WPG - Jun 22 BC 30 WPG 6
@ WPG - Aug 3 BC 14 WPG 50
@ BC - Oct 6 WPG 34 BC 26 (OT)

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
Winnipeg and Montreal will face off for the Grey Cup in Hamilton next Sunday (Monday morning for me :))

Winnipeg are the Western Division Champions for the fourth year in a row, and looking for our third Cup in the last four seasons

Go Blue Go!

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
As an Als fan, I think we will need a miracle to beat the Bombers. I would have prefered playing the Lions.
Hey, they knocked off Toronto; they can knock off Winnipeg. As a Bombers fan, Montreal's defence concerns me

Last edited:

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The CFL season comes down to this. The 110th edition of the Grey Cup game.

Winnipeg vs Montreal
  • Season Series - Winnipeg 2-0
  • Playoff History - Tied 1-1
  • Last Playoff Meeting - 2007 East Semi, Winnipeg won 24-22
There aren't too many Grey Cup pairings among the traditional East vs West combos we haven't seen yet as the Blue Bombers and Alouettes have their first Grey Cup battle (their two previous playoff meetings came when the Bombers were in the East when Ottawa was missing in action). We've seen the Bombers here quite a bit lately, but Montreal is here for the first time since 2010. Winnipeg was carried by the play of Brady Oliveira at running back who rushed for over 1500 yards, while the Alouettes pulled Cody Fajardo off the scrap heap at quarterback and a defence that forced a boatload of turnovers against Toronto in the East Final. This game will be played in Hamilton, where the Bombers claimed their last title two years ago and look to have the edge in this one.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Absolute killer final few minutes of the 2nd Q. Gave them 7 points as a result of a special teams turnover and then Evans can't run it in before halftime. Probably going to be too much to overcome.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I honestly thought the Als were going to win, and they had all sorts of chances to be leading. Winnipeg dodged a bullet and will probably crush them now.

I have no idea why every team doesn't have a 6'6, 250 lb QB specifically to sneak. They never fail to gain the yard; spindly guys like Evans fail with regularity.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: