CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
This EDM team is a completely different team with Ford at QB. They actually have a legitimate playoff chance. If Bombers sweep Sask on Labour Day/Banjo Bowl, EDM hangs on here then sweeps a mediocre CGY team over Labour Day/Rematch the standings would read...
Sask 5-7
Edm 4-9
Cgy 3-10

Elks in the hunt haha

Only in the CFL could you be talking about a 2-9 team making a playoff push haha. Losing both early season games against the Riders is a killer though. Win just one of them and it's a totally different outlook.

If they got a lot of help, a 7-11 record might snag a crossover; Hamilton winning in BC on Saturday hurt that big time though. 5-2 the rest of the way isn't outside the realm of possibility, but at least one of BC, Winnipeg, or Toronto would have to be beaten. Even getting to 5 or 6 wins would be huge though based on how it looked a month ago. I absolutely believe 0-18 was very possible with Cornelius at QB and McAdoo calling plays.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Week 13 brings us the most interesting week of the CFL season, Labour Day Weekend.

BC (7-4) at Montreal (6-4) Sat. 7PM ET
  • Some headscratchers from both teams last week. The Lions layed a massive egg at home against Hamilton while the Alouettes had a dismal second half against Winnipeg. (Also, can someone tell the schedule makers that Montreal is supposed to play Ottawa on Labour Day Week.)
Winnipeg (9-2) at Saskatchewan (5-5) Sun. 7PM ET
  • The last regular season game to take place on a Sunday (because a certain other football league starts their season next week) has the Bombers making the trip to Regina. Winnipeg has actually won the last two years on Labour Day after so many years where they couldn't buy a win in Saskatchewan.
Toronto (8-1) at Hamilton (4-6) Mon. 3:30PM ET
  • The TiCats are only 1-4 at home this season, but have a history of pulling off some strange wins over the Argos on Labour Day. Toronto won this game last year, which broke a seven game winning streak the TiCats had on this day.
Edmonton (2-9) at Calgary (3-8) Mon. 7PM ET
  • It's been a really long time since both of these teams have entered this game with losing records. The only thing keeping me from completely writing off the Stampeders this year was that they hadn't faced Edmonton yet, but now that the Elks have broken their hex I'm starting to rethink that.
Bye Week - Ottawa (3-8). Remember when the RedBlacks looked like they might have finally turned the corner earlier this season? Five straight losses has kinda killed that thought, and they're now that answer to the trivia question of who Edmonton beat for their first home win in forever.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If Calgary doesn't find a way to win both games, it looks pretty likely that both Alberta teams will miss the playoffs. Has that ever happened? For sure not in the last 50 years.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Time for the big moment football fans have been waiting for. That's right, CFL Week 14.

Hamilton (4-7) at Ottawa (3-8) Fri. 7:30PM ET
  • The RedBlacks have lost five in a row but are only a game back of Hamilton for the last playoff spot. If they're gonna right the ship, now would be a good time to do so.
Montreal (6-5) at Toronto (9-1) Sat. 1PM ET
  • We have our first instance of a team that can clinch a playoff spot as the Argos can do just that with a win here.
Saskatchewan (6-5) at Winnipeg (9-3) Sat. 4PM ET
  • Another team that can clinch a playoff spot is the Bombers if they can win the Banjo Bowl. Winnipeg has beaten Saskatchewan in six of the last seven Banjo Bowls.
Calgary (4-8) at Edmonton (2-10) Sat. 7PM ET
  • Both teams have been in a lot of close games yet find themselves on the outside looking in for the playoffs. In fact, there's never been a season in the modern CFL history (1958 to present) where both Alberta teams have missed the playoffs.
Bye Week - BC (8-4). The Lions got back on track with a win over Montreal and are only a game back of Winnipeg for first in the West. Their meeting in Week 18 is really looming large.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hamilton has been better on the road this season, hopefully that's the case come Friday.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Alouettes have to seriously consider benching Fajardo and going with Evans next game.

I would be shocked if the Grey Cup is not Toronto vs Winnipeg/BC.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The Alouettes have to seriously consider benching Fajardo and going with Evans next game.

I would be shocked if the Grey Cup is not Toronto vs Winnipeg/BC.

I think everyone would agree with you on that Grey Cup matchup. I'm looking forward to Winnipeg beating down the dirty Argos in the rematch haha

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Just when you think the CFL can't be anymore of a joke they come out with 2 embarrassing PI calls to hand the Elks the game.

This league is truly pathetic.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yes, it was nice to see the Elks finally get a break after the Labour Day game was gifted to Calgary by the command centre (yet again). Of course no explanation has yet been provided as to why Reggie Begelton wasn't kicked out for punching a guy in the head.

• Haha
Reactions: MM917

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Argos lock up 1st in the east with a win this week. If they win they have 11W, both MTL and Ham will have at least 7L and TOR already owns the tiebreaker on them both. So they'll essentially have nothing to play for final 6 weeks plus have a bye.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
We're now in third of the CFL season as we hit Week 15.

Toronto (10-1) at Montreal (6-6) Fri. 7PM ET
  • A 39-10 win last week clinched a playoff spot for the Argos and another win over Montreal will give them first in the East for a third straight year. The Alouettes have lost three straight and are only a game up on Hamilton for second in the East.
Edmonton (3-10) at Saskatchewan (6-6) Fri. 9:30PM ET
  • The Elks put a dent in Calgary's playoff hopes last week and could play the spoiler again. The Riders are looking for answers after getting throttled 51-6 in the Banjo Bowl against the Bombers.
Winnipeg (10-3) at Hamilton (5-7) Sat. 4PM ET
  • The Bombers have a playoff spot locked up but the TiCats are still on the bubble right now. They have a little more breathing room after scraping out a close one over Ottawa.
Ottawa (3-9) at BC (8-4) Sat. 7PM ET
  • One odd stat for the RedBlacks is that all three of their wins have come against teams in the West. The Lions though are coming off a bye and BC has won their last seven meetings with Ottawa.
Bye Week - Calgary (4-9). Coughing up a 16 point lead against Edmonton is another one of those games the inconsistent Stampeders have let slip away. They haven't missed the playoffs since 2004, but that streak is very much in jeopardy.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Argos lock up 1st in the east with a win this week. If they win they have 11W, both MTL and Ham will have at least 7L and TOR already owns the tiebreaker on them both. So they'll essentially have nothing to play for final 6 weeks plus have a bye.

It really hasn't been a compelling year in the standings, and it's going to make for a lot of pretty meaningless games over the final 7 weeks unfortunately. Hamilton and Montreal probably jockey for 2nd/3rd in the East, maybe Calgary makes a push to catch the Riders, but not a lot else likely to happen. The 6 current playoff teams are pretty damn likely to remain as such. I don't see any of MTL, HAM, or SSK being bad enough down the stretch to let a current outsider take their playoff spot. But...it's still the CFL...we may yet see the Redblacks in the Grey Cup lol.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It really hasn't been a compelling year in the standings, and it's going to make for a lot of pretty meaningless games over the final 7 weeks unfortunately. Hamilton and Montreal probably jockey for 2nd/3rd in the East, maybe Calgary makes a push to catch the Riders, but not a lot else likely to happen. The 6 current playoff teams are pretty damn likely to remain as such. I don't see any of MTL, HAM, or SSK being bad enough down the stretch to let a current outsider take their playoff spot. But...it's still the CFL...we may yet see the Redblacks in the Grey Cup lol.

Tiers separated themselves early and it never really changed that much. But I do think there'll be some jockeying down the stretch. I don't believe Sask is anything special at all, they might end up at 7-8 wins. Hamilton could easily finish with 6/7 wins. Depends on if CGY or EDM go on a heater to make up some ground. Nothing so far has indicated that's very likely but you never know.

Edmonton is a completely different team with Ford, but really blowing that game in Week 1 against Sask is gonna haunt them as it ended up costing them the season series. That one drive would have them at 4-9 v 5-7 sask and owning tiebreaker I'd have bet money EDM squeezes in over Sask. Now at 3-10 vs 6-6 without the tiebreaker, it's a tough road for Elks.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Edmonton has no chance, they aren't really a different team with Ford in terms of being any good. They beat a terrible Ottawa team and needed to god awful PI calls to beat Calgary. Ford still can't make a decent throw and certainly can't throw it well enough to beat any mediocre team without major ref help.

Calgary aren't catching Saskatchewan even with how bad, and they are bad, the Riders are. I would also say that without major luck or ref help (which is very possible) the Riders have no shot against the Bombers or Lions so really the West is basically decided with the BC-Winnipeg final.

I don't think the Argos are great but the East is so weak it is hard to see anyone competing with them even with the reffing wild card that always exists with the CFL.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
It is pathetic how badly TSN are trying to hype up Tre Ford.

Kate says “we will give love to the Riders and definitely Tre Ford.”

Ford has 84 passing yards, 0 TDS and an INT. What love is he getting?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It is pathetic how badly TSN are trying to hype up Tre Ford.

Kate says “we will give love to the Riders and definitely Tre Ford.”

Ford has 84 passing yards, 0 TDS and an INT. What love is he getting?
Looking at Ford's passing stats alone is pretty dishonest. He's not a pocket passer, never will be. The way challenges D's with his legs has sparked the offense.

He's made 6 starts, exactly 1/3 of the season. He has 1163 yards, 7TDs, 4INTs completed 69% of his passes to go along with 47 rushes for 471 yards and 3 TDs rushing. That's a pace of 3489yrds, 21TDs, 12Ints passing, and 1413 yards rushing with another 9 TDs. Those paces would have placed him 5th in CFL in passing yards last year, but also lead the league in rushing (by over 300 yards at that).

He's clearly a solid CFL QB, more in the mold of a Nealon Greene or early Kerry Joseph but a starting caliber QB no doubt. And the panic about him rushing has allowed Kevin Brown to break out running as well as he's exploded since the QB change.

He honestly might be in the conversation for the 4th best QB in the CFL right now. Collaros, Adams, and Kelly are easy top 3, but who's 4? Bo Levi is washed, Fajardo, Harris and Maier are the definition of meh. Crum's early magic seems to have disappeared. Masoli heading to retirement. Honestly yeah I'd have Tre Ford as QB4 in the CFL.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Looking at Ford's passing stats alone is pretty dishonest. He's not a pocket passer, never will be. The way challenges D's with his legs has sparked the offense.

He's made 6 starts, exactly 1/3 of the season. He has 1163 yards, 7TDs, 4INTs completed 69% of his passes to go along with 47 rushes for 471 yards and 3 TDs rushing. That's a pace of 3489yrds, 21TDs, 12Ints passing, and 1413 yards rushing with another 9 TDs. Those paces would have placed him 5th in CFL in passing yards last year, but also lead the league in rushing (by over 300 yards at that).

He's clearly a solid CFL QB, more in the mold of a Nealon Greene or early Kerry Joseph but a starting caliber QB no doubt. And the panic about him rushing has allowed Kevin Brown to break out running as well as he's exploded since the QB change.

He honestly might be in the conversation for the 4th best QB in the CFL right now. Collaros, Adams, and Kelly are easy top 3, but who's 4? Bo Levi is washed, Fajardo, Harris and Maier are the definition of meh. Crum's early magic seems to have disappeared. Masoli heading to retirement. Honestly yeah I'd have Tre Ford as QB4 in the CFL.

The problem is that if all he can do is run that is enough against bad teams and enough to get Eskimo fans excited but it will lead to zero success. I do agree just looking at his passing stats isn't enough because he relies so much on short dump offs and his receivers beating defenders to get yards rather than actually being able to make throws downfield to receivers that are covered.

The 2nd Stampeder game is a perfect example after they played him the week before they were much better prepared to deal with him and he could do nothing outside of hoping for the refs to bail him out with terribly thrown balls on bogus PI calls.

If and it is a giant if, he is the 4th best QB in the league the drop off from 3 to 4 is monumental and has more to do with how bad the QBs in the league are right now rather than him being any good. And as much as I don't like them I think it is a stretch to put Ford above either of Fajardo or Harris at this point.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Edmonton has no chance, they aren't really a different team with Ford in terms of being any good. They beat a terrible Ottawa team and needed to god awful PI calls to beat Calgary. Ford still can't make a decent throw and certainly can't throw it well enough to beat any mediocre team without major ref help.

Calgary aren't catching Saskatchewan even with how bad, and they are bad, the Riders are. I would also say that without major luck or ref help (which is very possible) the Riders have no shot against the Bombers or Lions so really the West is basically decided with the BC-Winnipeg final.

I don't think the Argos are great but the East is so weak it is hard to see anyone competing with them even with the reffing wild card that always exists with the CFL.
You must of missed the first game against the stumps where they were gifted multiple PI calls to win the game.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Flames fan, you probably think the Oilers were gifted the series too.

What series? The last series we played the Flames were awful we deserved that loss.

If you think either of the two PI calls were close to legit then it is clear you are nothing but a homer. And both play were terrible throws by Ford which is even more relevant to what I was talking about to Holden

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
The problem is that if all he can do is run that is enough against bad teams and enough to get Eskimo fans excited but it will lead to zero success. I do agree just looking at his passing stats isn't enough because he relies so much on short dump offs and his receivers beating defenders to get yards rather than actually being able to make throws downfield to receivers that are covered.

The 2nd Stampeder game is a perfect example after they played him the week before they were much better prepared to deal with him and he could do nothing outside of hoping for the refs to bail him out with terribly thrown balls on bogus PI calls.

If and it is a giant if, he is the 4th best QB in the league the drop off from 3 to 4 is monumental and has more to do with how bad the QBs in the league are right now rather than him being any good. And as much as I don't like them I think it is a stretch to put Ford above either of Fajardo or Harris at this point.

Nah he's plenty talented, I think you're putting too much emphasis in the back to back games. It's tough to win back to back games in the CFL against the same team, always has been. He's got 4.4 speed and while his passing isn't his strength, he's shown he's good enough to play and succeed and he's only 25, he'll learn and make better decisions as he matures.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad