CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It is pathetic how badly TSN are trying to hype up Tre Ford.

Kate says “we will give love to the Riders and definitely Tre Ford.”

Ford has 84 passing yards, 0 TDS and an INT. What love is he getting?

The only thing pathetic is your hate. Ford is a bona fide star in the making that will do great things in this league. The hype is real. By comparison, Jake Maier is a mule that is already leading the fading Stampeders into obscurity.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
The only thing pathetic is your hate. Ford is a bona fide star in the making that will do great things in this league. The hype is real. By comparison, Jake Maier is a mule that is already leading the fading Stampeders into obscurity.

LOL

I will say this is the one positive of Ford because just like delusional Esks fans the team will believe the hype and keep banking on him for the next 5 years ensuring the club competes for nothing.

Yes Maier is crap. I can admit tgat no problem, it’s sad that Esk fans choose to be delusional when it comes to a guy like Ford.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Let's get back to the CFL with Week 16.

Saskatchewan (6-7) at Ottawa (3-10) Fri. 7PM ET
  • Rider fans are panicking because Saskatchewan managed to lose to Edmonton which significantly lessened the Riders grip on a playoff spot. Ottawa meanwhile found a new way to lose blowing a 19 point lead in the fourth quarter. They're gonna win a close game eventually right?
BC (9-4) at Edmonton (4-10) Fri. 9:30PM ET
  • Another team can clinch a playoff spot as the Lions can punch their ticket with a victory. This game won't be the gimme it looked like at the start of the season since the Elks have won four of their last five.
Montreal (6-7) at Calgary (4-9) Sat. 4PM ET
  • Someone has to win this right? Both teams have been dreadful in the past few weeks with the Alouettes losing four in a row and Calgary losing four of their last five.
Hamilton (6-7) at Toronto (11-1) Sat. 7PM ET
  • The Argos won't have anything to play for in the next few weeks having locked up the East Division. The TiCats meanwhile have won their last two games which has them on more stable ground in the playoff race.
Bye Week - Winnipeg (10-4). Some out of town scoreboard help could come for the Bombers this week. A Saskatchewan loss and a BC win would assure Winnipeg will get a home playoff game this season.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
LOL

I will say this is the one positive of Ford because just like delusional Esks fans the team will believe the hype and keep banking on him for the next 5 years ensuring the club competes for nothing.

Yes Maier is crap. I can admit tgat no problem, it’s sad that Esk fans choose to be delusional when it comes to a guy like Ford.
No it's hate! Ford does throw an accurate long ball, the problem is the Elks offense needs to do more of that.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Should see some points in this Redblacks Riders game, statistically the two worst teams at giving up points this season.

7-0 early for the Riders. I would love to see Ottawa get on a roll this season, their fans deserve to have a team to cheer for. Just not tonight ;)

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
LOL

The greatest QB the CFL has ever seen takes the sack on 3rd down to take the loss for his team.

But he did manage to almost get 175 yards passing. Such a gorgeous deep ball to put up those gassy stats.

Watch out league he is a cheat code! Bwahahaha

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
We continue our swift progress through the CFL season in week 17.

Toronto (12-1) at Winnipeg (10-4) Fri. 8PM ET
- These two met in the Grey Cup last year and a rematch this November is certainly possible. While the Argos are first in the East locked up, the Blue Bombers still have some work to do to claim the West.

Saskatchewan (6-8) at BC (10-4) Fri. 10:30PM ET
- The Lions can assure themselves a home playoff game if they can win this one and they're riding a three game winning streak. The Riders meanwhile have lost three in a row but some flailing teams behind them means they're still in a playoff spot.

Montreal (7-7) at Ottawa (4-10) Sat. 4PM ET
- Win and you're in is the situation for the Alouettes who can clinch a playoff spot with a victory here. Ottawa finally snapped their losing streak last week, but it may be too little too late.

Calgary (4-10) at Hamilton (6-8) Sat. 7PM ET
- FIRE. DAVE. DICKENSON. His terrible moves as both coach and GM will have sunk the Stampeders to their first season below .500 since 2007 and the playoffs are quickly becoming out of reach. This will be a free space on the bingo card for Hamilton.

Bye Week - Edmonton (4-11). If the Elks can get a better O-line in front of Tre Ford, they might be able to make something of themselves next season. Imagine if they went with Ford back at the start of the season.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Be thankful we have more CFL on Thanksgiving weekend. It's time for week 18.

Edmonton (4-11) at Toronto (12-2) Fri. 7PM ET
  • The Elks can be officially eliminated from the playoffs with a loss here (imagine if they didn't start 0-9), although the Argos are playing possum right now since they won't have any meaningful games for a few more weeks.
Winnipeg (11-4) at BC (11-4) Fri. 10PM ET
  • By far the biggest game of the week as this could potentially decide first in the West and who gets home field in the West final. The two teams have split their earlier meetings (BC won 30-6 in Week 3, Winnipeg won 50-14 in Week 9).
Hamilton (7-8) at Saskatchewan (6-9) Sat. 7PM ET
  • The TiCats now have a playoff spot clinched, but the Riders still have more work to do. Saskatchewan is lucky to be in this spot since they've lost four in a row since labour day.
Ottawa (4-11) at Montreal (8-7) Mon. 1PM ET
  • The Alouettes have gotten back on track with two straight wins and another win here plus a loss by Hamilton will give Montreal a home playoff game. An Ottawa loss will also officially eliminate the RedBlacks from playoff contention.
Bye Week - Calgary (4-11). Rene Parades is a good kicker, but when his field goals are the only source of offense, that is a major league problem. (which I have my doubts this stupid team will fix in the offseason).

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
With Hamilton's win it makes for the last couple of games meaningful because they play Montreal last game and are currently tied to see who gets to host a playoff game. Also Ottawa has a slight chance of a East crossover to take Calgary's spot.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Only a few weeks left on this ride. Here's CFL week 19.

BC (11-5) at Hamilton (8-8) Fri. 7PM ET
  • An OT loss to the Bombers puts a big dent on BC's hopes to finish first in the West. A loss to the TiCats would give first place to Winnipeg, and Hamilton has won two in a row (and Bo Levi Mitchell is now healthy).
Saskatchewan (6-10) at Calgary (4-11) Fri. 9:30PM ET
  • We could finally get a merciful end to the turtle derby for the last playoff spot in the West. The Riders can clinch that with a win, but they've lost five in a row, although Calgary has lost three in a row so will anyone really win this?
Montreal (9-7) at Edmonton (4-12) Sat. 4PM ET
  • A Montreal win or a Hamilton will lock in the TiCats going to Montreal for the East Semi-Final. The Alouettes have won three in a row while the Elks are stuck having to play spoiler in their last two games.
Ottawa (4-12) at Toronto (13-2) Sat. 7PM ET
  • Two teams are playing out the string with nothing left to play for. Ottawa will have to do a bit of soul-searching since they haven't made the playoffs since 2018 going a combined 14-52 since then.
Bye Week - Winnipeg (12-4). If the Bombers don't get any out of town scoreboard help this week, they can very easily take matters into their own hands. Their last two games are against Edmonton and Calgary.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The CFL playoff picture could get completely sorted out in Week 20.

Calgary (5-11) at BC (12-5) Fri. 8PM ET
  • An incredibly ugly win over the Riders means that Stampeders (somehow) are in control of their own destiny for making the playoffs. BC though needs a win to keep their hopes of first in the West alive (although Winnipeg would have to lose their last two since the Bombers hold the tiebreaker there).
Toronto (14-2) at Saskatchewan (6-11) Sat. 2PM ET
  • The Riders can take themselves out of the race if they drop another one, Saskatchewan has gone 0-6 since Labour Day. Meanwhile another win for the Argos will match their franchise record for wins in the regular season with 15 that's currently held by their 1996 and 1997 teams (not that anyone in Toronto has noticed).
Edmonton (4-13) at Winnipeg (12-4) Sat. 5PM ET
  • If they don't get any help from Calgary on Friday, the Bombers can clinch first in the West with a win here. Edmonton meanwhile will miss the playoffs for a third straight season, something that hasn't happened to them since they missed in four straight years between 1962 and 1965.
Bye Weeks - Montreal (10-7), Hamilton (8-9) and Ottawa (4-13).

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dickenson out as HC is Sask. Contract not to be renewed

O'Day's will as GM. Not sure how long this new leash is.

I cannot believe that they extended O'Day. Sask should have cleaned house and tried again. At least, IMO. We'll see but at least a new HC. They need to show some movement as the fanbase there is moving beyond furious to indifferent. Which is far far worse.

Reactions: MM917

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
LOL

As a rival it is the best I could hope for, put the blame on coaching and bring back the guy who build what is clearly a sub-par roster. CD likely deserved to go but he is far from the only, and not even the major, problem with that team.

Huf, Wally and Hughie combined aren't winning with Harris/Fine/Dolegala playing behind their line with the group of mediocrity they have at WR and that ignores a very mediocre defense.

My concern is that Calgary will do a similar thing thinking the play-offs are good enough and fail to address the major holes they have on their roster and fact that Maier is not close to starting QB level.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
LOL

As a rival it is the best I could hope for, put the blame on coaching and bring back the guy who build what is clearly a sub-par roster. CD likely deserved to go but he is far from the only, and not even the major, problem with that team.

Huf, Wally and Hughie combined aren't winning with Harris/Fine/Dolegala playing behind their line with the group of mediocrity they have at WR and that ignores a very mediocre defense.

My concern is that Calgary will do a similar thing thinking the play-offs are good enough and fail to address the major holes they have on their roster and fact that Maier is not close to starting QB level.

Ha I'm in the same boat as a Bomber fan, I don't really care if Sask struggles at all to be honest, but I'm also a fan of just good football. I also can emphasize with any fanbase going through a tough stretch, me and my fellow Bomber fans know what it's like after 29 years between Grey Cups and only a few years in that span where the team even had a chance (It's travesty still that the Stamps beat the Bombers in 01, that game will haunt me forever the sub .500 team beating the most dominant Bomber team I had ever seen until the 21 Bombers).

I think they'll be change in Calgary, unless they go a miracle run and win the Grey Cup. How much is hard to say, but despite backing in with a 6-12/7-11 record they can't feel super great about their season. They really need to find some WR's to start, the Stamps are night and day different with Begelton in vs out of the lineup. One player that's not a QB should not make THAT big a difference. I'm not sure Maier is the answer, but I'm not sure there's many other options. The best alternative would be the roll the dice on a guy like Dru Brown or Tyrie Adams, or a very similiar reclamation project in Evans so I'm not sure there's going to be a lot of will to move on from Maier yet. We'll see though I guess.

Reactions: MM917

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Yes this is as bad as the CFL has ever been when it comes to talent, especially at QB so my guess is Calgary will stick with Maier who is terrible, but he is there terrible and we see teams seem to want to stick with the awful they know than risk bringing in someone else who also might be awful.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The CFL playoff field is already locked in, so there's nothing really to play for in Week 21.

Winnipeg (13-4) at Calgary (6-11) Fri. 9PM ET
  • The Stampeders picked an awfully convenient time to play their best game of the season as a 41-16 win over BC keeps their playoff streak going. Not sure if they can keep that momentum going, but the Bombers may be resting guys ahead of the West Final in a couple of weeks.
Hamilton (8-9) at Montreal (10-7) Sat. 4PM ET
  • Well, this is awkward. These two will face each other again next week in the East Semi-Final, so expect both teams to keep things close to the vest in this game.
Toronto (15-2) at Ottawa (4-13) Sat. 7PM ET
  • The best regular season record anyone has achieved with an 18 game schedule was Edmonton in 1989 who went 16-2. The Argos can match that mark with another victory (although that Edmonton team got upset in the playoffs so maybe that won't be a good omen).
Bye Weeks - BC (12-6), Saskatchewan (6-12) and Edmonton (4-14)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
CFL Mop races come down to Kelly and Oliveria. Interesting debate going on, I think the Blue Bombers have the best O-line in the country which makes Brady Oliveria look like the best RB since Jon Cornish.

Kelly turned a 11-7 team into a 15-2 in my opinion. He truly looks a step above the other QBs in the league. I think he'll get another chance in the NFL especially after seeing Rourke get picked up last year.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The Bombers o-line wasn’t even close to as good as they have been in past years, especially early in the season.

Kelly was propped up by his team as a result of playing on a cheap contract, so he was surrounded by all-stars, and even so, Kelly didn’t play all the games, didn’t lead the league in any of yards, completion percentage, completions, or TDs (10 less than Collaros, eight less than VAJ).

He’s not the best QB in the league, never mind the league’s most outstanding player.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The Bombers o-line wasn’t even close to as good as they have been in past years, especially early in the season.

Kelly was propped up by his team as a result of playing on a cheap contract, so he was surrounded by all-stars, and even so, Kelly didn’t play all the games, didn’t lead the league in any of yards, completion percentage, completions, or TDs (10 less than Collaros, eight less than VAJ).

He’s not the best QB in the league, never mind the league’s most outstanding player.
The games that Toronto lost are ones where Kelly did not play or was injured. Every game that Kelly played in, Toronto won. Nitpicking at individual stats is not as favourable for Collaros as you think because:
A) Kelly has played in numerous blowouts
B) The stats are quite similar considering Kelly threw less interceptions and had more rushing TDs than Collaros.
C) Threw the ball less than Collaros.

I wouldn't say he was propped up at all especially since the win total for Toronto increased by 6-7 games from last season. In fact, it is vice-versa as Kelly is the one that propped up the Argonauts.

Tom Brady is the best QB of his generation, but he wasn't the guy leading the stats year in and year out. Winning games is the priority, not stats.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The games that Toronto lost are ones where Kelly did not play or was injured. Every game that Kelly played in, Toronto won. Nitpicking at individual stats is not as favourable for Collaros as you think because:
A) Kelly has played in numerous blowouts
B) The stats are quite similar considering Kelly threw less interceptions and had more rushing TDs than Collaros.
C) Threw the ball less than Collaros.

I wouldn't say he was propped up at all especially since the win total for Toronto increased by 6-7 games from last season. In fact, it is vice-versa as Kelly is the one that propped up the Argonauts.

Tom Brady is the best QB of his generation, but he wasn't the guy leading the stats year in and year out. Winning games is the priority, not stats.
Winning games is not a QB stat or what should be part of the criteria when trying to assess the most outstanding player. I think the argument you’re making would be better if this was most valuable player, I don’t agree Kelly is the most valuable player to his team in the league, but I can follow that logic more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad