No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Continued from here:

CFL: - The CFL Thread: Part V

Current standings:

D49B4C0E-53D2-47C2-9B89-569B9E658A8E.png

I wonder how different the standings will be when the next topic goes up… and if any new teams will be included.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The whole Eddie Steele firing is why media especially in Edmonton never say jack shit until a guy is actually fired.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The whole Eddie Steele firing is why media especially in Edmonton never say jack shit until a guy is actually fired.

This was really ridiculous. I feel bad for Elks fans, its like the Bombers in the Mike Kelly days. Toxic leadership makes cheering for your team near impossible. Elizondo absolutely needs to be fired and black balled out of the league. I mean this is enough but when you consider the rest of his shit (anti-vaxxer, smearing players he cuts, etc) it is really bad.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This was really ridiculous. I feel bad for Elks fans, its like the Bombers in the Mike Kelly days. Toxic leadership makes cheering for your team near impossible. Elizondo absolutely needs to be fired and black balled out of the league. I mean this is enough but when you consider the rest of his shit (anti-vaxxer, smearing players he cuts, etc) it is really bad.
The larger story that is making it rounds now is that Sunderland banned Joey Moss from the locker room.

Joey is like a legend in Edmonton. This is not going to end well.

Just beyond crazy of a year. Name change stirred the pot big time, then some questionable cuts, then a just awful club on the field and now all this other shit.

The worse is money is tight. Will the Elks even have the money to clean house and re-hire guys? Not like they are going to get many fans the next three games. Poor club on and off the field and 7pm starts when it's getting cold rather quick at night.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The larger story that is making it rounds now is that Sunderland banned Joey Moss from the locker room.

Joey is like a legend in Edmonton. This is not going to end well.

Just beyond crazy of a year. Name change stirred the pot big time, then some questionable cuts, then a just awful club on the field and now all this other shit.

The worse is money is tight. Will the Elks even have the money to clean house and re-hire guys? Not like they are going to get many fans the next three games. Poor club on and off the field and 7pm starts when it's getting cold rather quick at night.

It seems like both the Bombers and Elks fans are cheering for a blowout Bombers win on Friday! Haha. Bombers obviously want to keep rolling and it might get the ball rolling on some firings in Edmonton.

I knew there was an issue I had forgotten, and that was it the Joey Moss issue. Man the leadership is bad there.

The only silver lining is that it can always get better. In the worst of times it looked just as bad here in Winnipeg. At one point the Bombers were paying for 3 head coach salaries and 2 GM salaries at the same time due to so many repeated firings. And that was when attendance was at a basically all time low. But it can get better. With Winnipeg it started with hiring Wade Miller to run the business operations, who then hired Kyle Walters and Mike O'Shea. But there was several years when it seemed very hopeless. And it took Walters and O'Shea a few years to correct that momentum. But eventually it can be done. However the board (I assume EDM has a board much like WPG since they are both community owned) is going to have to eat some short term pain that's for sure.

Reactions: joestevens29

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Ottawa Redblacks are not the worst team in the CFL. I did not expect to utter those words in 2021.

Watching the game with my old man last night, who can remember back to the early 70s, we felt that even during the dark days under Maciocia and the bumbling Kavis Reed years on into the infuriating Maas era, you never really felt that Edmonton was truly the worst team in the CFL. They were often bad, but they had Ricky Ray or Mike Reilly at least, and there was always someone worse, be it the Drew Willy Bombers, the post-Calvillo Als, the failed Ottawa Renegades, or one of various Argo teams that were in between "Pinball to the rescue" blips of success. But these last couple weeks have been confirmation that the new Elks are undoubtedly the worst of the 9 franchises. A distinction that the Eskimos arguably never once held in the colour TV era. A little dose of karma perhaps.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Vernon Adams getting hurt might have just cost Ottawa a win. No idea why Jones didn't put Schiltz in a while ago. I don't know what VA's deal is, but the guy just looks like a deer in the headlights out there recently, Montreal is better off under Schiltz going forward.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Yup, as an Als fan I have to concur. VA has not been right most of this season and Shiltz was terrific on that drive. I have serious doubts Adams would have been able to lead that drive down the field. Former Carolina Panther legend Cameron Artis-Payne with the game winning TD.

Reactions: Oryxo

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yup, as an Als fan I have to concur. VA has not been right most of this season and Shiltz was terrific on that drive. I have serious doubts Adams would have been able to lead that drive down the field. Former Carolina Panther legend Cameron Artis-Payne with the game winning TD.

Schiltz has generally looked good any time he's played. The kind of guy that could garner some interest from other teams in the off season, but who knows, maybe it's VA that ends up on the trading block.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pretty solid day of football on Thanksgiving. Well done. Kinda sucks that it was all east teams, but they were entertaining games.

I am very glad the Bombers are clear of the mush in the middle at the moment. It's going to be an interesting jockey for positioning down the stretch for Sask, BC, Cgy, Ham, Mtl, even maybe TOR. My concern is that if the Bombers beat the hapless Elks then beat BC at home the next week they will have clinched the West. With 3 games, a reg season bye, and the first round playoff bye left to go. That would be 5+ weeks without meaningful football going into the West final. Hope they don't get complacent.

Apparently MTL is shopping for QB's. No way could they fit in Harris, so really is there anyone they could get that would be better than Schiltz down the stretch for them? I don't really think so. Only QB's that might be available are Arbuckle, Nichols, Davis, Watford I would think. Maybe a shot in the dark like trading for Paxton Lynch. I just don't see any of those as proven enough/good enough to be a clear upgrade that could come in and start immediately.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Surprised that there seems to serious talk about Montreal needing to bring in a QB. I don't think there's anyone out there available that would necessarily be an upgrade on Schiltz. I'm sure Edmonton would love to dump Harris to avoid paying his salary the rest of the year but I'm not sure he could start for a high school team right now.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6210853

Hamilton getting the game in 2023 as this year will be a scaled down version due to remaining Covid restrictions.

It's a responsible move. 2022 is in Regina

Im still perplexed as to why they didnt just move this years to BC to play indoors. Its in mid-Dec, make it indoors. Then give Sask/Ham the next two in whatever order. Could be ugly. Then again I guess not too different than Wpg Dec 5 for West Final.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
Did I just hear on the radio broadcast that the Elks had 14,000 at Commonwealth? Did I misunderstand? Yikes!! :amazed:

There's no way there's even 10,000 in attendance. Probably closer to 5,000 at best.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I cant believe that MTL gave them anything for Harris. At best I thought it would be a 6th/7th round pick or a neg list player. A young DE what has decent stats seems like a good deal from EDM side.

I guess Harris would have to drive himself to Toronto and Hamilton if MTL makes the Grey Cup. Luckily the stay all in the east.

Reactions: joestevens29

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I cant believe that MTL gave them anything for Harris. At best I thought it would be a 6th/7th round pick or a neg list player. A young DE what has decent stats seems like a good deal from EDM side.

I guess Harris would have to drive himself to Toronto and Hamilton if MTL makes the Grey Cup. Luckily the stay all in the east.

I couldn't believe it either...until I remembered that the 4th stooge is Montreal's GM. Trading away promising young players for useless vets on their last legs is vintage Maciocia.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Pretty dominant performance by the Als to grab 1st place. They needed that one because 2 games against Winnipeg and 1 against SASK are still on tap.

Shiltz has done a good job, I don't get the Harris trade either. Harris did say this week he is vaccinated.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pretty dominant performance by the Als to grab 1st place. They needed that one because 2 games against Winnipeg and 1 against SASK are still on tap.

Shiltz has done a good job, I don't get the Harris trade either. Harris did say this week he is vaccinated.

Yeah that was an impressive win. I think I might I like Shiltz more in that offense than VA. He makes quicker decisions and will take whats available. Forced TOR D into respecting the whole field. That in turn opened up those deep balls VA was so desperate to hit with every throw. Stanback is the East MOP fairly easily, IMO.

Those two games against Wpg might be interesting. A Bomber win today and they got nothing to play for. And at least the game in MTL I think Als will likely be playing Sean McGuire at QB for Wpg. So well see.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00