CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It's hard to believe that is the best play the Bombers could come up with. Like, you are not THAT far away from the end zone. Go for the Hail Mary.

If the Als are rushing 3 and you have 5 OL, you are at midfield. Does the QB not have the arm to throw the ball over 60 yards into the end zone for the hail mary? How bad was the wind at that point in the game?

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Not even in the same stratosphere as the 2001 Stamps team. That team was 8-10. Montreal was 11-7 and had a +50 point differential which was close to BC.

Why is everyone so afraid of giving Montreal some credit? They knocked off the two best teams in back to back weeks. It just sounds like sour grapes coming from the Bombers not giving them credit.

It has nothing to do with being afraid and everything to do with them not deserving any credit.

I am not a Bombers fan in anyway so definitely not sour grapes. I am glad the Bombers lost.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
It has nothing to do with being afraid and everything to do with them not deserving any credit.

I am not a Bombers fan in anyway so definitely not sour grapes. I am glad the Bombers lost.

They absolutely deserve credit. They made some big plays at key times. I loved them going for the win at the end instead of playing it safe and kicking a field goal to send it to OT. Winnipeg absolutely made some blunders, but that alone did not lose them the game.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
There were a number of players onside behind the kicker when he punted it so they would all be eligible to recover the kick. But the decision only makes sense when you can completely catch the other team by surprise, not when there's like 8 defenders back deep.
It also doesn't work when you need a TD, because they can just take the single or kick it back out themselves.

It also doesn't work very well when it's your actual punter. He's not used to being in the open field and it takes away the element of surprise. Him getting steamrolled into next week is probably one of the hardest hits a punter has ever taken.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
They absolutely deserve credit. They made some big plays at key times. I loved them going for the win at the end instead of playing it safe and kicking a field goal to send it to OT. Winnipeg absolutely made some blunders, but that alone did not lose them the game.

They went for the win because of how stupid the Winnipeg defense was, not because of good plays by they made.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Montreal getting treated by some like a massive out-of-nowhere underdog here, simply not the case. As stupid as he was 15 years ago, Danny Maciocia has actually put together a solid roster the last couple years. Good O-line and D-line, Stanback is a truck when healthy, Mack is a stud receiver, and those linebackers and guys in the secondary are solid as well. Reasonable doubt over Fajardo's ability get it done at the QB position was really the big question mark and he had a great game yesterday, simple as that.

Winnipeg is not the team they were in 2019 or 2021, really not even close. Willie Jefferson running wild for three years was a big reason for the success of Richie Hall's conservative defensive package, and Willie isn't the player he once was. Schoen getting hurt late in the year was a big blow as well. Collaros threw a ridiculous number of INT's this year, and that was with Schoen hauling in circus catches on the regular. Remove him from the equation and you're mainly left with the INT's.

Winnipeg is a good team, just not dynasty-quality anymore. They lost to Toronto last year, and would have lost to Hamilton too in 2021 if that dinglenuts returner didn't concede a single point late in the game. Four straight GC appearances out of the strong division with two wins is still a once-in-a-generation accomplishment though, and really as good as it gets in the highly random CFL. The history books are full of Montreal-level teams that got hot at the right time and won the Cup, they are not an atypical champion. 2000 BC, 2007 Sask, 2012 Toronto, 2016 Ottawa, and 2022 Toronto are comparable.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Als deserve basically no credit here. Bombers COMPLETELY failed to show up. They had no interest in playing this game clearly. Pathetic effort as I've ever seen. What a joke.
Yeah, Winnipeg really had no interest in winning. Actually, they were thinking of not going. They all had something better to do then to win the final game of the year they dominated. Awesome analysis.

Reactions: Dust

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
LOL No credit is harsh but this is as bad a team to win the Cup as I can remember including the 2001 Stamps team that was sub-.500.

Winnipeg (who I hate this version of) played as bad as they could and still Montreal needed some luck to beat them.
Still wondering what is bad about that Montreal defense? Which part? Still wondering, what's bad about those receivers? What's bad about an injured Stanback that is still doing the job. What is bad about that O-line? Zema who had his worst game yesterday was stellar all year long and those special teams were very good.

Winnipeg played badly? If anything, Montreal played badly in the 1st end. If they would have played the 1st end like they played the 2nd, it would not have been close.

They went for the win because of how stupid the Winnipeg defense was, not because of good plays by they made.
How was Mack catch with one-hand a bad play they made? How the 3rd for 5 with a throw to a flying Spieker a bad play they made? How was that insane pass to Philpot a bad play they made?

But I guess the second best thing to not have your team win, is to try to diminuish the other team that did. Als were given the 2 best teams in the league to beat. They did.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
It also doesn't work when you need a TD, because they can just take the single or kick it back out themselves.

It also doesn't work very well when it's your actual punter. He's not used to being in the open field and it takes away the element of surprise. Him getting steamrolled into next week is probably one of the hardest hits a punter has ever taken.

I mean it can work, but like you pointed out, not if you make it incredibly obvious at what you're trying to do. An onside player doesn't need to give 5 yards, so they are free to attempt to recover it the same as the returner.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
LOL

In a year in which there were no great teams, no great players I guess it’s fitting that a mediocre at best team like Montreal end up as the “Champs.”

Sad day for the league that this is the best they have to offer up
Mediocre?

I must have dreamed Montreal crushing Toronto and beating Winnipeg back to back.

The good news for us regular guys is that if morons like Maas and DM can win a GC any one can.

Champions of a very small part of the world but you are right the defense did play well today, they deserve credit for that.
Did someone p*** in your Wheaties?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I get being upset at a team for underperforming, but props are deserved for Montreal.

Plus, the Blue Bombers have made four straight Grey Cups, having won two of them. It's not like they pulled a Bills and left you always wanting more, hard to be super mad. Especially for a team that had just had a long (by CFL standards) drought previously.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Touchdown Pacific is headed to Victoria

Redblacks at Lions Saturday August 31

What a joke the CFL is !!!

Yep, let's send an abysmal team in the Ottawa RedBlacks to play the BC Lions in Victoria BC.

What a great match up to showcase CFL football in Victoria. If this is meant to embarrass the City of Ottawa, then mission well done. If a BC Lion blowout is what the CFL wants, also well done.

How about featuring the Grey Cup winning Montreal Allouettes vs the BC Lions in the Touchdown Pacific game ???

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
What a joke the CFL is !!!

Yep, let's send an abysmal team in the Ottawa RedBlacks to play the BC Lions in Victoria BC.

What a great match up to showcase CFL football in Victoria. If this is meant to embarrass the City of Ottawa, then mission well done. If a BC Lion blowout is what the CFL wants, also well done.

How about featuring the Grey Cup winning Montreal Allouettes vs the BC Lions in the Touchdown Pacific game ???
Probably since it's a game in the BC market will seat max 14K and will sellout regardless of the opponent. Montreal would be a better draw in BC Place.

If the RedBlacks get blown out (whjch I won't rule out either) the crowd will go home happy.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Still no Simoni signing in Hamilton, people on this end are starting to get stressed it seems.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He retired. I, for one, am glad that the dirtiest player in the CFL is no longer playing. :D
He definitely had some dirty hits over his years... Obviously in Hamilton we love him, it's rare an LB lasts 10 years, even rarer when it's all for one CFL team.

He's also a great guy and does a lot for the local community, glad he is staying with the team in an ambassador role.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2