Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Watching highlights of sheahan, he sure looks like a finisher with limited playmaking ability. I was sure they would put at least one player with something that resembles a good passer on his line.

The crosby hates Hornqvist assumption must be a real thing!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I don't like this 3rd line, mainly because the playmaking talent is nonexistent there. I do think Hornqvist and Sheahan will be a great duo, but Hagelin on the other wing isn't what I'd want.

It's hard to say. You can have a third line that pots points without much creativity if each of the players on it plays their role well. Kennedy-Staal-Cooke wasn't exactly a talented line, but it worked well (before Kennedy went blind and Cooke went to the box for 21 games and felt shame).

I'm not going to say I know Sheahan well enough to know how he'll look there. But essentially, I think that if Hagelin can use his speed on the puck retrieval and Sheahan is okay at putting pucks on net for Hornqvist, it'll be a decent 3rd line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's hard to say. You can have a third line that pots points without much creativity if each of the players on it plays their role well. Kennedy-Staal-Cooke wasn't exactly a talented line, but it worked well (before Kennedy went blind and Cooke went to the box for 21 games and felt shame).

I'm not going to say I know Sheahan well enough to know how he'll look there. But essentially, I think that if Hagelin can use his speed on the puck retrieval and Sheahan is okay at putting pucks on net for Hornqvist, it'll be a decent 3rd line.

Yeah this is definitely true. I think the Hagelin-Sheahan-Hornqvist line wold work better than any other center on that line (even going back to guys like Bonino and Cullen), it just lacks some playmaking talent. If they'd swap Rust and Hagelin, I'd be happier with that line. Like you said, you have the speedster in Hagelin, the shooter in Sheahan and the garbage collector in Hornqvist. You just don't have the good playmaker there, which you can get if you'd swap Rust and Hagelin.

I would have prefered to see Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist, but I think Hagelin in that spot will work. I'm just not too crazy about it, it wouldn't have been high on my list of prefered 3rd lines.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Guentzal Crosby Sheary
Rust Malkin Kessel
Hagelin Sheahan Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl McKegg Reaves

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The lines.

giphy.gif

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah I never thought Sheahan was a bad skater, I just kept seeing it on here for some reason. I thought he was at worst a wash with Bonino, but most likely better.

Anyone who's not as fast as Hagelin is a bad skater and ruining the Penguins identity!!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I don't like this 3rd line, mainly because the playmaking talent is nonexistent there. I do think Hornqvist and Sheahan will be a great duo, but Hagelin on the other wing isn't what I'd want.

I think the Penguins are a Sprong recall away from having the best forward lineup they can have. Kuhnhackl out of the lineup, Hagelin to the 4th line, Sheary to the 3rd line and Sprong on Sid's RW? Sure.

Yeah I never thought Sheahan was a bad skater, I just kept seeing it on here for some reason. I thought he was at worst a wash with Bonino, but most likely better.

Bones is woefully slow, has a poor lateral base and RS skates nothing like him. Bones skating made my eyes bleed...

RS can really move and has good agility for a big man. Could you pick on some technical stuff, sure, but we could do the same for most good skaters his size.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I haven't liked the Sid and the Kids all year so far. Disappointed it's still "a thing" apparently

Edit...rather see Horny with Sid and Sheary on third

Shades of HBK. One of Sully's negatives is how often he goes back to lines that aren't working.

And boy are those lines not working. The top 6 can't defend and the bottom 6 can't score.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010

I think the Penguins are a Sprong recall away from having the best forward lineup they can have. Kuhnhackl out of the lineup, Hagelin to the 4th line, Sheary to the 3rd line and Sprong on Sid's RW? Sure.

The best roster they could ice is this. But they will give Reaves his fair share of games (as they should)

Guentzel Crosby Sprong
Rust Malkin Kessel
Sheary Sheahan Hornqvist
Hagelin Mckegg Archibald
Kuhn Reaves

That fourth line fits this teams identity to a tee... You could even swap Sprong and Hornqvist or move the top 9 wings around.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I don't like Jake and Sheary together. Honestly, never did. They're fun to watch but when they lose the puck they never get it back. Put rust or horny there and let Sheary be the guy on the third line.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The best roster they could ice is this. But they will give Reaves his fair share of games (as they should)

Guentzel Crosby Sprong
Rust Malkin Kessel
Sheary Sheahan Hornqvist
Hagelin Mckegg Archibald
Kuhn Reaves

That fourth line fits this teams identity to a tee... You could even swap Sprong and Hornqvist or move the top 9 wings around.

These would be the best scoring lines possible. But, and I know the Board castigates Kuhn, Sully really likes Kuhn and he will be playing as long as the league is calling more penalties and teams are getting more PPs. Sorry, reality calling....this is true even if Sully will ultimate sit Reaves on a regular basis, which I think he'd like to do. If he didn't sit Kuhn for Wilson or Archi when Cole, a good penalty killer and shot blocker, returned from injury, he won't be sitting Kuhn now

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don't like Jake and Sheary together. Honestly, never did. They're fun to watch but when they lose the puck they never get it back. Put rust or horny there and let Sheary be the guy on the third line.

Agreed that Jake Sheary and Sid aren't the best defensively. If we're down and need a spark, yea sure throw them together

But it just blows my mind that Sid hates Horny so much

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the lines are fine the way they are. The top six should not be changed. If Hagelin isn't a playmaker for his line, and we know he is not a finisher, then what is he?

Sheahan can hopefully find new life here and up his game.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Shades of HBK. One of Sully's negatives is how often he goes back to lines that aren't working.

And boy are those lines not working. The top 6 can't defend and the bottom 6 can't score.
this is something worth of discussion. I really think that defending is more of a state of mind than skill. I mean it does not help that these two lines are pretty much worked out and like it or not, coming back and backchecking is sort of a nuisance now. Its more fun when puck is moving forward but backchecking and skating back not so much...I am sure this would change comes play off, but do not expect much improvements especially during the young season

however the bottom line can't score, now we are talking skills...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad