Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Anyone know why they called up Trotman and took Hunwick off of IR?

Hunwick is still on IR.

Can't be taken off since it's a 7 day minimum on IR and also if he was taken off, they couldn't have called up Trotman since there'd be 24 guys on the roster.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't see why we can't start Murray both games. It's early in the season.

Are both games in Florida? Very little travel.

If we have to use Niemi, I feel like the best option is too use him vs Tampa. Florida is a bad team that we would for sure win with Murray. With Niemi....not so much.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Were we not missing Malkin in 15-16?

It isn't about shot blocking. It is about being consistently out shot for a year and a half. That is definitely something to observe and worry about.

I think you're exaggerating the bolded.

Pens' SF/G versus SA/G:
2016-17 - 33.5 SFG (tops in the entire league), 32.6 SAG
2017-18 - 34 SFG, 34 SAG

Neither season have the Pens been a minus in the Shots For/Shots Against category, which they'd be if they were "being consistently out shot for a year and a half".

I think you're letting the recent playoff run, where they got out shot quite a bit, as well as the fact they're bleeding shots against cloud your judgement of just how much they're being dominated on the shot clock.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What Sidney is posted is true.

At the same time, we're not the strong corsi team we were for Sully's first half-season and play-offs. 15-16 was 34.52 SFG 28.65 SAG, playoffs 34.9 SFG 28.0 SAG. I think it is a good question as to whether Sully's system is a suppressive monster that we've been too tired to play properly after that early burst, or whether its a run and gun system that results in an open game and we were simply a bit superhuman in that early run.

My guess is its the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'd also add this team clearly can win a bunch of games on fairly even shot numbers, so why worry that much?

I think Sully's system puts a lot more emphasis on generating and preventing high danger scoring chances. Last season we generated more high danger chances than anyone and were 5th for HDCF. Which also helps explain our high shooting percentages imo. Right now we are bleeding high danger chances against, and that is worrying, but again I wonder what our numbers would look like without the Chicago game. In any case, I trust them to put it right.

edit: I would add though that it stands to reason that a team that is hell bent on creating as many great opportunities as possible is going to give up plenty the other way.

Reactions: ColePens

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
What Sidney is posted is true.

At the same time, we're not the strong corsi team we were for Sully's first half-season and play-offs. 15-16 was 34.52 SFG 28.65 SAG, playoffs 34.9 SFG 28.0 SAG. I think it is a good question as to whether Sully's system is a suppressive monster that we've been too tired to play properly after that early burst, or whether its a run and gun system that results in an open game and we were simply a bit superhuman in that early run.

My guess is its the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'd also add this team clearly can win a bunch of games on fairly even shot numbers, so why worry that much?

I think Sully's system puts a lot more emphasis on generating and preventing high danger scoring chances. Last season we generated more high danger chances than anyone and were 5th for HDCF. Which also helps explain our high shooting percentages imo. Right now we are bleeding high danger chances against, and that is worrying, but again I wonder what our numbers would look like without the Chicago game. In any case, I trust them to put it right.

edit: I would add though that it stands to reason that a team that is hell bent on creating as many great opportunities as possible is going to give up plenty the other way.

And i think not having Letang for half a season last year probably make last years numbers look worse than the normally would.

Im not totally sure what the problem is so far this season, as i havent seen many of the games but id be surprised if were to stay this bad.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
And i think not having Letang for half a season last year probably make last years numbers look worse than the normally would.

Im not totally sure what the problem is so far this season, as i havent seen many of the games but id be surprised if were to stay this bad.

I remember looking at some stat and it was no different with Letang in or out of the lineup last regular season. Which was very surprising. But then again they didn't really fine tune themselves until later in the year. And even then they were still bleeding shots big time in the playoffs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Good point about Tanger. And I think a rough couple of opening games for him didn't help this team any.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Jesus. Go to the doctor and get the medication to make your itching go away. It's a treatable condition.

But, but.... I used protection!

tumblr_inline_nqgmsoZF0x1qk8tvh_500.gif

Reactions: ColePens and Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can they play defense (and I include the forwards in this) in a way that limits high danger shots and shot blocking, yet conserves energy for a playoff push in March? That's the key question.

I say no, not under Sully's system. So alter the system if the goal is conserving energy and limiting injuries (obvious that I think it should be). Play more conservative, less pinching and by definition less offensive rush opportunities. We can then have the energy to run Sully's system in March and reap the rewards.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Can they play defense (and I include the forwards in this) in a way that limits high danger shots and shot blocking, yet conserves energy for a playoff push in March? That's the key question.

I say no, not under Sully's system. So alter the system if the goal is conserving energy and limiting injuries (obvious that I think it should be). Play more conservative, less pinching and by definition less offensive rush opportunities. We can then have the energy to run Sully's system in March and reap the rewards.

Yeah, that's a fair question. I agree that the answer is no, but I'm torn as to whether they should change system or keep ploughing on and accepting the risks/injuries. There's something to be said for system continuity. For me the big question is "Are we going to get enough points playing this way?"

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, that's a fair question. I agree that the answer is no, but I'm torn as to whether they should change system or keep ploughing on and accepting the risks/injuries. There's something to be said for system continuity. For me the big question is "Are we going to get enough points playing this way?"

Fair question too. It's worth trying I think. We have one of the best assembled forward talent in the league. You would hope we can get some points off of other teams' mistakes in order to keep us in or near playoff position before we kick it into gear...

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I remember looking at some stat and it was no different with Letang in or out of the lineup last regular season. Which was very surprising. But then again they didn't really fine tune themselves until later in the year. And even then they were still bleeding shots big time in the playoffs

Interesting

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-kuhnhackl-carter-rowney/stories/201710190155

Mackey's story on Reaves' limited playing time. Sully claims it's because 1) being behind and having to come from behind in games and 2) taking so many penalties that fourth line hasn't been out there

Uh huh. Reaves is averaging 9.7 shifts a game and no one else is close.

St. Louis: 11 shifts, 6:21 toi, 9 penalties, tied or trailing from 8:31 on
Chicago : 14 shifts, 7:43 toi, 10 penalties, trailing from 6:21 on and blown out
Nashville: 12 shifts, 6:23 toi, 17 penalties, leading from 1:06 on and his best game here. 4-0
Washington: 8 shifts, 6:35 toi, 10 penalties, leading from 5:22 on. 3-2
Tampa: 8 shifts, 3:25 toi, 10 penalties called, trailed from 6:07 until tied at 13:46. Trailed from 19:59 onwards. 4-5
Florida: 10 shifts, 7:06 toi, 8 penalties, lead from 6:46P1 until 5:25P2, back and forth until leading from 13:36P2 on. 4-3
New York: 5 shifts, 3:20 toi, 12 penalties. Lead from 0:43P1 until 7:32P2 after that they trailed or were tied. 5-4

So, kind of? It's still the lowest shifts per game and atoi of his career and ignores Sullivan playing Reaves more in a game like the St. Louis one. They lead for 27 minutes against the Rangers and he still got 5 shifts. He actually got more shifts against Tampa than the Rangers and the Pens trailed about 45 minutes of that game. His average ES toi is below Rowney, kuhnhackl and Wilson.

The penalties and not leading may contribute to it but it really looks like Sullivan went "I tried. You can't say I didn't try, Jim." It sucks for Reaves but it shouldn't even be happening if Sullivan is going to use him like this.

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1) I want an entire GDT one day with only HSL posts and nothing else. I want to have to go into the GDT and figure out what is happening by his posts.

2) vabm8 - mad respect for that post. I love when people don't just take words or perceptions to face value and actually dig up the truth. Actions >>> words. Always will be. I think there is some truth behind Sully not wanting him to be playing each night. I don't think he can trust running 4 lines like he loves to do. And he says it nonstop that he loves running 4 lines. He thinks that is the best Penguins hockey.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On Reaves/Sully - was it Florida where he took a penalty straight after we scored? That might help explain him going from 10 to 5 shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad