Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

bland

Jul 1, 2004
During that bad stretch when Maclellan got fired fans were commenting about it on social media and members of the organization were fighting with people online. Its a totally bizarre and looney management group that has turned into an echo chamber. They surround themselves with themselves.
I do not mind egos in the sports and entertainment industries and Id have no problem with it if they were as good as they think they are.
The Kovalchuk debacle is all anyone needs to point to if they question this point.

They signed a "star" who hadn't played in the league for years without (apparently) doing any due diligence about his ability to fit into the team. Then they wouldn't take him on road trips and made him practice on his own and there wasn't a single peep out of the folks covering the team. That would have been a scandal in most cities in other pro sports. Here? It was ho-hum standard operating procedure.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
It’s the day before the end of the season. What are you going to do this summer?

Recommend Rob Blake for that operations manager position at you biggest competitor ? He surely takes them into BK in less than 4 years.

Write in Luc Robitaille for mayor of your city? He can triple your infrastructure into doomsday by next term.

Hire PLD after his buyout to crush morale amongst your hardest working employees by giving him a corner office and company credit card.

Maybe you could hire Trevor Lewis to mow your lawn. Only problem is he’s so slow by time he finishes the backyard the front yard will need to be cut again.

If your really feeling Cheaky you could have our scouting staff organize your summer family reunion and half of your cousins could not be invited and the ones that are can be left at the airport to die.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Thinking Faber would be ruined--especially if he stayed in school like he did--by the Kings is part coping and part of the ongoing anger placed on the current regime.

I've got tons of the latter but I'm not trying to make myself feel better about Faber. Kid has been a stud at every level and plays a poised and polished game that is exactly what the Kings covet over flash and danger which is Clarke's thing.

Also, Kaliyev played right away as well. It isn't something that's never happened.
I agree, what Faber has done is completely different than what we have seen from the other prospects.

Faber would have given them no reason to send him down, he checks every box. Bjornfot got his shot out of the gate too.

The difference from Byfield down to Thomas this year is that either through injury or struggles in specific areas of their game, all the other prospects gave management reasons to put them on the slow boil.

I am not saying that I agree with them - at all - I am saying that the available evidence suggests that Faber's level of play would have been too strong to deny. The only legitimate argument against that is this management group tends to make a foolish plan and stick to it whether it works or not, so I absolutely get the skepticism.

Reactions: SmytheKing

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
During that bad stretch when Maclellan got fired fans were commenting about it on social media and members of the organization were fighting with people online. Its a totally bizarre and looney management group that has turned into an echo chamber. They surround themselves with themselves.
I do not mind egos in the sports and entertainment industries and Id have no problem with it if they were as good as they think they are.
I’ve always felt the navel gazing this organization does is because we are essentially a hockey backwater. Ownership is a big player in entertainment, but the hockey team isn’t the franchise which keeps the lights on in the 2020s.

So the relative wins and losses don’t impact anything significant. It basically creates an accountability vacuum. And in that space, fans gets a bush league operation staffed by incompetent hacks and scheming grifters.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thinking Faber would be ruined--especially if he stayed in school like he did--by the Kings is part coping and part of the ongoing anger placed on the current regime.

I've got tons of the latter but I'm not trying to make myself feel better about Faber. Kid has been a stud at every level and plays a poised and polished game that is exactly what the Kings covet over flash and danger which is Clarke's thing.

Also, Kaliyev played right away as well. It isn't something that's never happened.

"played"

I'm sorry but that's the argument the sycophants make--Kaliyev has played 215 NHL games! What do you mean they don't integrate the prospects?--then you realize his career average time on ice is barely 12 minutes, he's played over 15 minutes not even 10 times this season, and that despite his PP/minutes production being top 5 in the NHL they refuse to use him there and have now Robidas Island'ed him.

He's never had a season pacing worse than PLD did this year, never mind some of the other deadweight ahead of him.

That doesn't mean there aren't flaws in his game--but what do you think other organizations would do with him? Do you think they'd continue to play him on the 4th line and not on the PP and wonder what's wrong?

I mean, why go draft this guy and then go surprised Pikachu when he's literally exactly as advertised? He is exactly who I thought he would be as an NHL player.

I guess we'll find out next year.

I agree, what Faber has done is completely different than what we have seen from the other prospects.

Faber would have given them no reason to send him down, he checks every box. Bjornfot got his shot out of the gate too.

The difference from Byfield down to Thomas this year is that either through injury or struggles in specific areas of their game, all the other prospects gave management reasons to put them on the slow boil.

I am not saying that I agree with them - at all - I am saying that the available evidence suggests that Faber's level of play would have been too strong to deny. The only legitimate argument against that is this management group tends to make a foolish plan and stick to it whether it works or not, so I absolutely get the skepticism.

The legitimate argument is he isn't playing over Doughty, he isn't playing over Roy, he wouldn't have been playing over Walker. Even if he was 'better.'

Again it's all hypotheticals but this org hasnt' given any reason to believe that even a player as good as Faber is 'different.'

Alternatively, if they thought he was that good, they would have traded Clarke or Spence instead, or said 'no.'

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Stecher played and Spence say IIRC in the playoffs and Walker played over both, when his form didn’t warrant it (both eye test and advanced stats). Clarke was outplaying him before they had him sitting during long stretches not wanting to activate his ELC. There is certainly a reasonable discussion to be had around Durzi playing ahead of them also as he was never going to be here long term. One of Clarke or Spence should have played 3RD last season and Spence should have played over Stecher in ‘22. Sure Stecher did not play that many games but when the choice was him or Spence he played… not very well, whereas Spence did play well when called upon.

That’s how I remember it anyway, I didn’t bother checking the numbers and I’m tired (minor car accident today… some twat took my front driver side wheel arch out, attempting to drive his van through a gap it was never going to get through… whilst speeding - no injuries, I’m just grumpy).

Sorry for the bad day, but I think you are remembering things wrong which is f***ing ironic me saying it, Stretcher was a trade deadline deal, Spence was up playing before him, Clarke NEVER played with LA that season, he played 9 games the NEXT season....

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Thinking Faber would be ruined is cope? How on earth do you even come to that conclusion when only Byfield is the only success of the rebuild currently on the roster? What the f***? Byfield is the only player who has even been given a real chance to play and that includes the fact that the Kings dont even trust him enough to play 3 on 3 on top of the fact that trashcans like Arvy is the one out on a 6 on 5 in the last minutes of the Oilers game. You have guys like Lizzotte and Lewis taking prominent time from guys like Thomas and Turcotte who have shown a lot more promise at this point of their careers. Im sorry but it is truly delusional to watch Faber on the Wild and think to yourself, "wow if only the Kings held onto him". Its just devoid of all logic and precedence.
It's coping because it makes a Kings fan feel like the trade was a good one since we have Fiala and Faber wouldn't be good here.

The logic in all of this is that Faber is the one Kings prospect that instantly crushed expectations--and quickly--at every level. Byfield was Bustfield on this very board. It can be chalked up to usage etc...but it also can just be that this is who Byfield is in the sense that it takes some players longer to figure things out and play confidently. Faber is the difference in this scenario: he showed up ready made.

Faber isn't playing this well because the Wild just let him loose: he's just that good of a player.

I love Brandt Clarke but Faber is only 5 1/2 months older and the much better player right now so I can't get behind the idea that Faber would be handled the same way. If Brandt Clarke is playing NCAA hockey last year, there is a much better chance he is playing this season in LA since he wouldn't be coming off of sitting around for half the season and then going back to what amounts to a beer league for him in the OHL.
"played"

I'm sorry but that's the argument the sycophants make--Kaliyev has played 215 NHL games! What do you mean they don't integrate the prospects?--then you realize his career average time on ice is barely 12 minutes, he's played over 15 minutes not even 10 times this season, and that despite his PP/minutes production being top 5 in the NHL they refuse to use him there and have now Robidas Island'ed him.

He's never had a season pacing worse than PLD did this year, never mind some of the other deadweight ahead of him.

That doesn't mean there aren't flaws in his game--but what do you think other organizations would do with him?

I mean, why go draft this guy and then go surprised Pikachu when he's literally exactly as advertised? He is exactly who I thought he would be as an NHL player.

I guess we'll find out next year.

The legitimate argument is he isn't playing over Doughty, he isn't playing over Roy, he wouldn't have been playing over Walker. Even if he was 'better.'

Again it's all hypotheticals but this org hasnt' given any reason to believe that even a player as good as Faber is 'different.'

Alternatively, if they thought he was that good, they would have traded Clarke or Spence instead, or said 'no.'
- I'm a huge Kaliyev guy and part of the reason is, just like Faber, he is one of Blake's picks that just kept kicking ass at every stage, including at the NHL level when you factor in usage, age and playing time. The point is that they didn't keep him in the AHL: he got 80 games in at age 20. What's happening now doesn't change the argument since Faber wouldn't be in the same situation because he's that good.

- I understand not giving them the benefit of the doubt but, as @bland mentioned, Bjornfot got his shot early as well. I do think there has been stunting of development amongst several of the Blake prospects but, at the same time, I feel that he simply missed on picks and they have shown that they aren't completely adverse to putting young guys in the NHL immediately. Faber is the one guy that would have arrived ready because he's that good.

- Regarding the bolded, it is pretty damn obvious that it doesn't matter what "they" think since it is usually wrong. I think we can agree on that. That said, Spence doesn't get the trade done and Clarke was a Top 10 pick less than a year before the trade was made and that offensive upside is/was too tantalizing. And to be fair, even Faber's biggest supporters weren't necessarily expecting the point totals he put up this season while Clarke, IMO, has flashed that upper-echelon offensive acumen from the blueline. I'm talking that 70+ point type of stuff.

Imagine having that offensive upside one one shift and then having Faber hop over the boards on the next shift for the next 12 years or so.

Sorry for the bad day, but I think you are remembering things wrong which is f***ing ironic me saying it, Stretcher was a trade deadline deal, Spence was up playing before him, Clarke NEVER played with LA that season, he played 9 games the NEXT season....
Spence was horrible in the 2022 playoffs which is why it was easy for Blake and Co. to put him in the AHL all season. Night and day difference with him this playoffs v. that first one.

Stecher had four points in four games that series. LA Kings legend.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's coping because it makes a Kings fan feel like the trade was a good one since we have Fiala and Faber wouldn't be good here.

The logic in all of this is that Faber is the one Kings prospect that instantly crushed expectations--and quickly--at every level. Byfield was Bustfield on this very board. It can be chalked up to usage etc...but it also can just be that this is who Byfield is in the sense that it takes some players longer to figure things out and play confidently. Faber is the difference in this scenario: he showed up ready made.

Faber isn't playing this well because the Wild just let him loose: he's just that good of a player.

I love Brandt Clarke but Faber is only 5 1/2 months older and the much better player right now so I can't get behind the idea that Faber would be handled the same way. If Brandt Clarke is playing NCAA hockey last year, there is a much better chance he is playing this season in LA since he wouldn't be coming off of sitting around for half the season and then going back to what amounts to a beer league for him in the OHL.

- I'm a huge Kaliyev guy and part of the reason is, just like Faber, he is one of Blake's picks that just kept kicking ass at every stage, including at the NHL level when you factor in usage, age and playing time. The point is that they didn't keep him in the AHL: he got 80 games in at age 20. What's happening now doesn't change the argument since Faber wouldn't be in the same situation because he's that good.

- I understand not giving them the benefit of the doubt but, as @bland mentioned, Bjornfot got his shot early as well. I do think there has been stunting of development amongst several of the Blake prospects but, at the same time, I feel that he simply missed on picks and they have shown that they aren't completely adverse to putting young guys in the NHL immediately. Faber is the one guy that would have arrived ready because he's that good.

- Regarding the bolded, it is pretty damn obvious that it doesn't matter what "they" think since it is usually wrong. I think we can agree on that. That said, Spence doesn't get the trade done and Clarke was a Top 10 pick less than a year before the trade was made and that offensive upside is/was too tantalizing. And to be fair, even Faber's biggest supporters weren't necessarily expecting the point totals he put up this season while Clarke, IMO, has flashed that upper-echelon offensive acumen from the blueline. I'm talking that 70+ point type of stuff.

Imagine having that offensive upside one one shift and then having Faber hop over the boards on the next shift for the next 12 years or so.

Spence was horrible in the 2022 playoffs which is why it was easy for Blake and Co. to put him in the AHL all season. Night and day difference with him this playoffs v. that first one.

Stecher had four points in four games that series. LA Kings legend.

I think you and I are putting much more thought and reason into it than they are.

I really think it just boils down to Faber wouldn't have even been playing until this year because it's as simple as "sorry, because Walker."

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

This is some serious false equivalency. I have a flat tire so that means I am going to find a million dollars near burger king kind of logic. Both the trade could be good or bad and Faber still wouldn't be the same player are exclusive from one another. The trade has nothihng to do with the fact that Minnesota Faber isnt going to be LA Faber. Faber wouldn't be the same player technically is completely within reason. Right now you're essentially saying that all the variables within the Kings and Wild are so identical that there wouldn't be a difference. That's absolutely illogical and not based anywhere within reason. Kings have had a terrible time developing players and its gotten to a point where "Bustfield" isn't even playing his natural position, center. If Byfield can't even play center and is playing second fiddle to veterans purely based on the fact they're veterans, then what on earth are you talking about? Shit, the rebuild has amounted to what exactly? You usually have good takes but this is completely illogical.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

PDOCast mirroring a lot of our gripes (starting around 40 mins)

The contrast in messaging bw the Kings org after Game 4 (we need to play the exact same way we played in a game where we lost and didnt score) vs literally everyone else is so telling.

"it's the perfect encapsulation about everything I hate about poor offensive hockey in today's game and they do it time and time again"

"it's a lack of creativity"

"this team should certainly use Brandt Clarke and his creativity right now."

"they have a lot of stuff to answer. they're going down this dark and dangerous path of being a cautionary tale. hopefully they can right it in the summer and nail that coaching hire."

They also called us the "anti Dallas Stars" which is spot on. We could've been the Dallas Stars 2.0. We were tracking towards it until some point during the '21-'22 season.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I see both sides of the Faber debate, on one hand he is one of those prospects, much like Doughty, where you just knew right away he was going to be very good. I said it when he was at U of Minnesota, he was every bit as good as Power and L. Hughes, and pretty close to Q. Hughes as a college defender. So, I could see a case where the Kings just can't possibly consider sending him to the minors. But on the flip side you have an organization that has people like Emerson and Surfin Muzz making key developmental decisions, so who knows.

I did find it funny that earlier in the year (and during last years playoffs) you had some here saying, "Who cares, he wouldn't be doing it in LA" in an attempt to dig at Faber and/or defend Blake, but all that really showed was just how clueless the Kings management and development staff is, that you wouldn't be confident that they could find a role for the guy who was the best rookie defenseman in the league.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I think you and I are putting much more thought and reason into it than they are.

I really think it just boils down to Faber wouldn't have even been playing until this year because it's as simple as "sorry, because Walker."
Faber just signed last year, what could or would or should have happened at the end of 22 is irrelevant speculation because it could not happen.

He signed last Spring after his collegiate year ended, too late to be assigned to the AHL with playoff eligibility. No way a player with that much stroke over his deal would accept an AHL tryout contract with floating his pro deal into the next year. He never would have gone to the AHL last year.

So if you think that Faber wouldn't have won a job in this past summer's camp WITHOUT Walker, Durzi and Co, well, let's just say that I think that argument is more Bluc PTSD talking than reality.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Development is often a tough discussion point, because there's a variable amount of influence that organizational decisions have on a player's growth.

There are degrees of reasonable certainty, and while we'll never know of the alternate universe where Blake keeps Faber, this is why I feel he would have been in the NHL right away:
- Blake tried to sign him at the end of his collegiate season. When that happens with prospects whose rights you own, one of the selling points is "burning off a year" by playing an NHL game. So, to me, there was an implicit plan to get him NHL games at the start.
- It's been mentioned before. He played for Team USA as a 19 year-old in the Olympics. Generally players who get more international attention get more internal attention. It's hard to argue that your team is better than an entire nation's (at least a bigger nation)
- I've yet to see anyone who watched him play at the college level who didn't think he had NHL talent. Were there talks of Calder trophy? No. But there's a wide gap between that and a serviceable NHLer.
- At every level, he quickly moves up an organization and team's depth chart. He became the top pairing defenseman on a highly reputable NCAA team within months of starting there. He did on Team USA, too. Spence also gets noticed for adapting quickly at different levels (QMJHL, AHL, now NHL). But Faber's adjustment period is so much more rapid.

It's possible that he would have played in the AHL, but Faber is the type of player who I think can succeed despite bad organizational decisions. Arguably even better than Byfield, of whom I'm a big fan and felt there were some questionable decisions with him early on.

Reactions: FrozenKing18

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
It’s sad to think that the 2020 draft (Byfield and Faber) could have been as important to the Kings as 2005 (Kopitar and Quick) and they blew it for no-show Fiala.
Dallas somehow figured it out building around old guys Benn, Pavelski, Seguin.. they did the rest through the draft and didnt make any gut wrenching mistakes like Peterson, Fiala and PLD. Blake is a failure. And keeps proving it season after season.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Faber just signed last year, what could or would or should have happened at the end of 22 is irrelevant speculation because it could not happen.

He signed last Spring after his collegiate year ended, too late to be assigned to the AHL with playoff eligibility. No way a player with that much stroke over his deal would accept an AHL tryout contract with floating his pro deal into the next year. He never would have gone to the AHL last year.

So if you think that Faber wouldn't have won a job in this past summer's camp WITHOUT Walker, Durzi and Co, well, let's just say that I think that argument is more Bluc PTSD talking than reality.

I literally said 'until this year' so everything you said is moot and unnecessary

I don't understand why people are getting so defensive about this as if we're just inventing further reasons to be mad at Blake and we haven't earned the right or something. My best understanding is that people want so badly to believe that Faber is so 'different' (like Stutzle) that even the Kings would have known what to do with him/couldn't f*** it up.

this isn't at all a dig about Faber who I've been on the wagon for all along. Luckily he developed in college not the Kings' system.

this is a dig at kings management using mountains and mountains of f***ing evidence that no kid gets special treatment and in fact when they DO show something they're more likely to get demoted than the opposite

AKA my speculation is just as good as yours so this stupid ass pillow fight can stop any time you want it to

I'm getting bristly because it's not even a 'debate,' we all agree on Faber's abilities, but for some reason folks are resisting the idea that Kings management is just. that. dumb.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
The Kings giving up Faber is as dumb as Chiarelli trading 2 high picks for griffin reinhart, one of them being matt barzal still on the board. Set the oilers back years.

Vote4Lubo

Axl's other other account
Feb 28, 2016
Antarctica
The Kings giving up Faber is as dumb as Chiarelli trading 2 high picks for griffin reinhart, one of them being matt barzal still on the board. Set the oilers back years.
You'll get a mixed review of the trade on here, but it is not even close to the same. We atleast get a ppg player, albeit costs us a goal a game. While you guys got literally a corpse who couldn't cut it in China. That's PLD trade equivalent.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
This potential move, scares me more than any single possible move....Blake Lizotte getting qualified. It really cannot happen, when considering EVERYTHING. Failed results. Consistently and for years.
Why would you want a *5'7" 4th line center? Has any succesful NHL team had one? No reach. (reach is becoming a biger deal in defending and on PK) No capability of imposing punishment, Zero. Knocked down at least 15 times to every 1 he can kknock someone down.

The failures and ineptness far outweigh any heart, soul, feel good, such a great work ethic.
Results should be the truye standard....results like: a key part to the NHL worst PK in the playoffs, 2 years in a row...and having 14 career NHL playoff games and 0 goals, 1 assist and -2.
2 goals in his last 39 games. Coaches misusing him and putting him on all lines a few games....LOL and then making him your third line center.....didn't Billy Bean trade a player that his coach loved and played and Beane hated and traded him, so he would not be able to play him....lol.
Whoever is GM, must not qualify him. Please let Turcotte, Akil and Helenius fight for the spots of Lizotte and Lewis...and Carl...if he's qualified..OMG . even worse than Lizotte...maybe. Talk about a player who has done nothing good for over 40 games!! NOTHING. WTF?

Another thing I think. How the eye test fails most all. The eyes to mind to formulating belief.
Lizotte - Most all that watch him, eyes immediately notice a player that works very hard, gives great effort. Seems to go all out, 100% of the time. Tries to do all he can. This is where some eyes - mind - analysis ends with mostly contentment with this player. Their view of his work ethic, touch their emotions, in a good way. 'this player cares and works his azz off...I like him!"
They do notice, he's 5'9", believing what is reported...but do not realize he's actually 5'7". A mind-F and if you could process he's actually 5'7", one would then question his reach, his true abilities to shut down an opponent...and see more and more he gets knocked down 15 times to 1 time he can knock down an opponent...some do not see this as a problem, as many King fans were not around when they had a 3rd or 4th line center with size, that could punish opponents. Even drop the gloves and fight. But, it;s a marvel how much punishment he can take and he gets back up and fights! A nobel thing. Also, results are the true measure of a players true worth. Who has 14 career playoff games, 0 goals, 1 assist? Blake Lizotte...would anyone guess or know that?
He's overmatched the second he steps on the ice? Fights for his life to keep a
play going, yet usually succumbs with the puck taken or given up...or a pass to barely keep play alive? Most any and all plays involving this player, end in a failed result.
Does any NHL playoff team have a 3rd line center, that is playing 12 minutes and has 0 goals, 1 assist in 14 NHL playoff games. Yes, the Kings do. He is 5'7", most all plays end in failure and has 2 goals in his last 39 games. He's highly esteemed by coaches, to the point of moving him up in the lineup...this is the biggest joke and has them and fans all of them fooled. If you're an opponent, going into an NHL playoff game? Your dream matchup is this player. You honestly cannot be beat, if you're on your game and you should be able to play your game and have great success...you'll even look better, when you easily knock him down.

If they actually qualify him....would be a travesty, esp with players like Turcotte, Thomas and perhaps even Helenius taking that spot and having myriads of more success.
He's also a big a part of the NHL worst penalty kill in NHL HISTORY, 2 years in a row in the playoffs.

*when he signed, he was reported his correct 5'7" size...he's not 5'9" LOL. His agent may have made them list him at 5'9" No way he's even 5'8" Yes, 5'7" is a problem on your 4th line, esp when they fail at everything, physically overmatched every second and certainly not worth 12 mins TOI or 1.7 MIL?? LOL

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I get that Faber is good enough to be on the Kings roster now but I’m not sure I buy the idea that this management group would have seen that. At best, they’d see it but still use his non-waiver status. Just last year, Spence was a better option over Walker and Durzi and yet they still didn’t play him even though he was in their future plans.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
This potential move, scares me more than any single possible move....Blake Lizotte getting qualified. It really cannot happen, when considering EVERYTHING. Failed results. Consistently and for years.
Why would you want a *5'7" 4th line center? Has any succesful NHL team had one? No reach. (reach is becoming a biger deal in defending and on PK) No capability of imposing punishment, Zero. Knocked down at least 15 times to every 1 he can kknock someone down.

The failures and ineptness far outweigh any heart, soul, feel good, such a great work ethic.
Results should be the truye standard....results like: a key part to the NHL worst PK in the playoffs, 2 years in a row...and having 14 career NHL playoff games and 0 goals, 1 assist and -2.
2 goals in his last 39 games. Coaches misusing him and putting him on all lines a few games....LOL and then making him your third line center.....didn't Billy Bean trade a player that his coach loved and played and Beane hated and traded him, so he would not be able to play him....lol.
Whoever is GM, must not qualify him. Please let Turcotte, Akil and Helenius fight for the spots of Lizotte and Lewis...and Carl...if he's qualified..OMG . even worse than Lizotte...maybe. Talk about a player who has done nothing good for over 40 games!! NOTHING. WTF?

Another thing I think. How the eye test fails most all. The eyes to mind to formulating belief.
Lizotte - Most all that watch him, eyes immediately notice a player that works very hard, gives great effort. Seems to go all out, 100% of the time. Tries to do all he can. This is where some eyes - mind - analysis ends with mostly contentment with this player. Their view of his work ethic, touch their emotions, in a good way. 'this player cares and works his azz off...I like him!"
They do notice, he's 5'9", believing what is reported...but do not realize he's actually 5'7". A mind-F and if you could process he's actually 5'7", one would then question his reach, his true abilities to shut down an opponent...and see more and more he gets knocked down 15 times to 1 time he can knock down an opponent...some do not see this as a problem, as many King fans were not around when they had a 3rd or 4th line center with size, that could punish opponents. Even drop the gloves and fight. But, it;s a marvel how much punishment he can take and he gets back up and fights! A nobel thing. Also, results are the true measure of a players true worth. Who has 14 career playoff games, 0 goals, 1 assist? Blake Lizotte...would anyone guess or know that?
He's overmatched the second he steps on the ice? Fights for his life to keep a
play going, yet usually succumbs with the puck taken or given up...or a pass to barely keep play alive? Most any and all plays involving this player, end in a failed result.
Does any NHL playoff team have a 3rd line center, that is playing 12 minutes and has 0 goals, 1 assist in 14 NHL playoff games. Yes, the Kings do. He is 5'7", most all plays end in failure and has 2 goals in his last 39 games. He's highly esteemed by coaches, to the point of moving him up in the lineup...this is the biggest joke and has them and fans all of them fooled. If you're an opponent, going into an NHL playoff game? Your dream matchup is this player. You honestly cannot be beat, if you're on your game and you should be able to play your game and have great success...you'll even look better, when you easily knock him down.

If they actually qualify him....would be a travesty, esp with players like Turcotte, Thomas and perhaps even Helenius taking that spot and having myriads of more success.
He's also a big a part of the NHL worst penalty kill in NHL HISTORY, 2 years in a row in the playoffs.

*when he signed, he was reported his correct 5'7" size...he's not 5'9" LOL. His agent may have made them list him at 5'9" No way he's even 5'8" Yes, 5'7" is a problem on your 4th line, esp when they fail at everything, physically overmatched every second and certainly not worth 12 mins TOI or 1.7 MIL?? LOL
Lizotte has been a great story. I love his passion, all-out hussle and maximum effort all the time. If PLD had even 10% of that, he'd be great. Lizotte was a great signing and player to have during the rebuilding years. But he should not be resigned at all -- doing so would be yet another ridiculous roster decision by Blake.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I get that Faber is good enough to be on the Kings roster now but I’m not sure I buy the idea that this management group would have seen that. At best, they’d see it but still use his non-waiver status. Just last year, Spence was a better option over Walker and Durzi and yet they still didn’t play him even though he was in their future plans.
Oh this management group would have seen it, and like every other choice they've made run exactly 180 degrees in the opposite direction, because they're f***ing morons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad