Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think the lines are fine the way they are. The top six should not be changed. If Hagelin isn't a playmaker for his line, and we know he is not a finisher, then what is he?

Sheahan can hopefully find new life here and up his game.

A puck retriever and defensive conscience.

It's not exactly setting RS up for success with those lines, but their lines keep getting thrown into a blender and it's obvious Crosby wants Sheary and Guentzel and Malkin wants Kessel. The lines keep getting reset back to these defaults so, you don't have to be a genius to figure it out.

Reactions: td_ice

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Something to consider in theory too: if Sheahan and Hornqvist develop any chemistry, then Hagelin doesn't need to be part of a cohesive line. He can, as Jiggy said, just be the defensive presence and force turnovers with his speed. The line does not have to work as a 3 man offensive unit.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Something to consider in theory too: if Sheahan and Hornqvist develop any chemistry, then Hagelin doesn't need to be part of a cohesive line. He can, as Jiggy said, just be the defensive presence and force turnovers with his speed. The line does not have to work as a 3 man offensive unit.

If RS actually uses his ridiculous shot, it will create plenty of rebound opportunities for Hornqvist.

If I remember from watching him a couple yrs ago, RS is more Sutter-like in his playmaking than Bones, so he's not going to be a great puck distributor for that line.

Staal was never a good puck distributor either so, it's not something I'm overly concerned with.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
this is something worth of discussion. I really think that defending is more of a state of mind than skill. I mean it does not help that these two lines are pretty much worked out and like it or not, coming back and backchecking is sort of a nuisance now. Its more fun when puck is moving forward but backchecking and skating back not so much...I am sure this would change comes play off, but do not expect much improvements especially during the young season

however the bottom line can't score, now we are talking skills...

I agree to a point. Certainly Sid & Geno are capable of better. But some guys, even when fully engaged, simply aren't great at making the reads and winning board battles in their own zone. I'm looking at Kessel and Sheary in particular here. Guentzel is smart and tenacious but he's not superb either. Rust is the best defensive winger of the 4 currently in the top 6 but I don't think he's outstanding.

To me its a really obvious switch to bring one if not both of Hags and Horny into the top 6, and put Sheary and maybe Rust on the 3rd line to give it some skill.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I agree to a point. Certainly Sid & Geno are capable of better. But some guys, even when fully engaged, simply aren't great at making the reads and winning board battles in their own zone. I'm looking at Kessel and Sheary in particular here. Guentzel is smart and tenacious but he's not superb either. Rust is the best defensive winger of the 4 currently in the top 6 but I don't think he's outstanding.

To me its a really obvious switch to bring one if not both of Hags and Horny into the top 6, and put Sheary and maybe Rust on the 3rd line to give it some skill.
Agreed. Why can't Sullivan roll this top 9...

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Rust

Both Sheary and Rust seem to play better in their prefered wing spot, Sheary-LW, Rust-RW.
I think it's a bit of a myth that Rust is a great or very good defensive forward. I don't see him winning a lot of puck battles or him being sound positionally on defense or being a great backchecker. He's ok most of the time, sometimes he's very good, but nothing more, imo.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know I argued loudly to the contrary almost all of last year but I'm personally just about done watching BOTH Malkin and Kessel mope around out there like they'd rather be taking a bubble bath with their grandmothers. Spread their demotivation over two lines. At least for now.

Hopefully this would also have the side benefit of giving Sheahan some quick confidence to his game by providing some offense. Something he sorely needs to remember he's capable of.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Agreed. Why can't Sullivan roll this top 9...

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Rust

Both Sheary and Rust seem to play better in their prefered wing spot, Sheary-LW, Rust-RW.
I think it's a bit of a myth that Rust is a great or very good defensive forward. I don't see him winning a lot of puck battles or him being sound positionally on defense or being a great backchecker. He's ok most of the time, sometimes he's very good, but nothing more, imo.

This should be the line-up and I see no reason to put Sheahan with Hags and Horny. Horny plays a similar game and Hags is struggling offensively.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I know I argued loudly to the contrary almost all of last year but I'm personally just about done watching BOTH Malkin and Kessel mope around out there like they'd rather be taking a bubble bath with their grandmothers. Spread their demotivation over two lines. At least for now.

Hopefully this would also have the side benefit of giving Sheahan some quick motivation by providing some offense. Something he sorely needs to remember he's capable of.

I don't know. I honestly think McKegg fits Kessel's playing style better.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know. I honestly think McKegg fits Kessel's playing style better.

I could see that. That's fine, too.

Just get those two away from each other before they give whoever is in net an aneurysm. We're already down a goaltender, FFS.

This team can't afford the kind of therapy Murray will need if Malkin/Kessel keep this up. I get that it's October, believe me. But damn.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016

Hopefully this would also have the side benefit of giving Sheahan some quick confidence to his game by providing some offense. Something he sorely needs to remember he's capable of.

I missed the latest game in Tampa, so I don't know how they looked that game. But in a prior two-three games Kessel actually started to try and he was engaged. Offensively at least, defensively he's still mostly mia, but that's who he is.

And saying that Malkin has been disengaged it's just a bs. He's been doing almost all the work for that line and didn't play well individually only in two games -first meetings with Tampa and Florida.

The line has issues, but if Kessel will continue to be engaged, it's not a big deal (if he's not tho, they're in trouble). The biggest issue for that line sistematically, and for the whole team sometimes that I see- it's breaking the puck out of D zone, have been a struggle so far.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Before KIRK comes roaring in here to give me a verbal beatdown, I'm not calling Malkin some lazy POS. But he's a slow starter, has played a boatload of hockey, is 31 years old and frankly doesn't look like he has much motivation to turn the dial far past 70ish percent. Which... in a lot of ways I'm fine with.

Problem there is Kessel sure seems to be on the same page in that regard. And both in that mindset on the same line is costing the team a lot of time in their own zone. They are careless with the puck, forcing things that aren't there and botching the opportunities they do create at ES.

Since both are extremely good offensive players (and Malkin is pretty good on D when he feels like it), things will click here and there. Sometimes even spectacularly. But so far it's been a bunch of fumbling around in between. I just wouldn't mind a different look for a bit, is all. If not, well... maybe at least try to look like you care once every couple games or so.

Reactions: Peat

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Malkin is pretty good on defense almost all the time. He can be great on defence when he feels like it(in important games in RS and in playoffs).

Kessel doesn't play defence almost at all in RS, that's why Hagelin is so good on the opposite wing with him. If Phil is engaged offensively and Hags is with him on the opposite wing-the line will work.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think he's nearly as bad as some try to paint him. And I especially get cranky when people get all bugged about him turning the puck over here and there. But I don't think I could ever characterize his defensive acumen as "good all the time."

I dunno. That line looks like a trainwreck most nights. At least to my eyes. If it weren't for two of the games he's played out of six, there would likely be a raging thread right now about what's the matter with Geno and what can we trade him for. So I'm not super pleased with their raw production, even.

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
kessel seems to like to drive his own line.....sheahan might work well with him. depends on who would be the third guy.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I don't think he's nearly as bad as some try to paint him. And I especially get cranky when people get all bugged about him turning the puck over here and there. But I don't think I could ever characterize his defensive acumen as "good all the time."

I dunno. That line looks like a trainwreck most nights. At least to my eyes. If it weren't for two of the games he's played out of six, there would likely be a raging thread right now about what's the matter with Geno and what can we trade him for. So I'm not super pleased with their raw production, even.
You missed two words, I said "pretty" good and "almost" all the time.

Anyway, you have a very weird position/assessment when it comes to Geno and his play, at least, in my opinion. So, whatever.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I expect a lot from him. It's true.

And I didn't intend to mischaracterize what you had said. Apologies.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Jake-Sheary combo hasn't been great this season. Hopefully they pick things up 5on5. If not, stop with the non-sense and put Horny where he belongs.

Also Hags-Sid-Horny vs FLA was really good...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Jake-Sheary combo hasn't been great this season. Hopefully they pick things up 5on5. If not, stop with the non-sense and put Horny where he belongs.

Also Hags-Sid-Horny vs FLA was really good...

I know. They're not good 5x5 so far and they're really bad defensively. So let's put Jake and Sheary out with Sid against McDavid. Sully today was talking about putting Sid out against other teams' top lines. Totally makes sense lol. It's comical...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Geno was like a 3rd Dman both cup runs. When it counts, he is really good defensively.
Especially this last year. He was insane. I like that he comes in and takes it easy at first, but he has been really engaged since Shattenkirk started him up. As nice as it is to see, we need to see Sid/Geno get some relaxing games until January. We cannot kill them.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I wanted to take a moment to thank Ugene Malkin, Clare2904 and dogthateats for helping out with game day threads this month. Your hard work is much appreciated :)

There's still one game open for this month, and the November schedule is now up for anyone who would like to volunteer. Just claim your game in the stickied GDT makers thread. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Peat

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was kind of hoping they'd put better playmakers/play creators with Sheahan to start out. Hagelin and Horny obviously bring value to this team, but more as complimentary wingers on a line.

Kessel, Guentzel or even Sheary would be better options for Sheahan, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad