Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I was kind of hoping they'd put better playmakers/play creators with Sheahan to start out. Hagelin and Horny obviously bring value to this team, but more as complimentary wingers on a line.

Kessel, Guentzel or even Sheary would be better options for Sheahan, IMO.

Even without Sheahan just some different combinations. HH lacks creativity, GCS keeps having defensive problems and Sheary is on his off wing, Malkin and Kessel have been whatever you'd describe that as. Sheary, Guentzel and Kessel all on separate lines; Rust, Hagelin and Hornqvist all on separate lines.

I'd go

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist because Hornqvist belongs there and should work well with GC if they're left alone

Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel because I want Kessel away from Malkin and forced to drive his own line. HK is a wing duo I like.

Sheary-Malkin-Rust is a bit more of the leftover line but I like Rust with Malkin, Sheary has had some good moments with Rust, they could be a complementary wing pair and I'm curious about Sheary with Malkin. If it fails Rust can move to LW when Sprong comes up and that could theoretically be a nice wing pair.

Leave that for 5-10 games and then reassess but the fundamental part is having a creative winger on each line.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Even without Sheahan just some different combinations. HH lacks creativity, GCS keeps having defensive problems and Sheary is on his off wing, Malkin and Kessel have been whatever you'd describe that as. Sheary, Guentzel and Kessel all on separate lines; Rust, Hagelin and Hornqvist all on separate lines.

I'd go

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist because Hornqvist belongs there and should work well with GC if they're left alone

Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel because I want Kessel away from Malkin and forced to drive his own line. HK is a wing duo I like.

Sheary-Malkin-Rust is a bit more of the leftover line but I like Rust with Malkin, Sheary has had some good moments with Rust, they could be a complementary wing pair and I'm curious about Sheary with Malkin. If it fails Rust can move to LW when Sprong comes up and that could theoretically be a nice wing pair.

Leave that for 5-10 games and then reassess but the fundamental part is having a creative winger on each line.

My preferred new line is Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel. Like you said, forces Kessel to start being more of a line driver again, allows Sheahan to have a playmaker to set him up and control the puck for the line, and has Hagelin offer speed and ability to get in on the forecheck to cause turnovers.

I wish Sheary wasn't such a wreck defensively. It would make it easier to move him around the top six. As it is, he'll either be dragging down Sid's line or Geno's from a defensive perspective.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
My preferred new line is Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel. Like you said, forces Kessel to start being more of a line driver again, allows Sheahan to have a playmaker to set him up and control the puck for the line, and has Hagelin offer speed and ability to get in on the forecheck to cause turnovers.

I wish Sheary wasn't such a wreck defensively. It would make it easier to move him around the top six. As it is, he'll either be dragging down Sid's line or Geno's from a defensive perspective.

Yeah, I think he's better defensively than he's been on GCS but it's nowhere near a strength. They really don't have a stud top 6 winger who's a beast defensively either.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What i'm hoping for... we continue the Oilers struggles and aren't the turnaround point. I also want to see Sheahan get a hatty, even if it's completely lucky. A start like that can change everything. New team, fresh start, fresh everything. Have one of those amazing nights and it all changes. :yo:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea the problem seems to be someone not wanting to marry Horny with Sid again. I mean , they go to it mid-game sometimes and they stuck with it in the FLA game but it was right back to GCS again which i found weird.

Jake/Sheary-Sid-Horny

Should be the 1st line. Has all the elements to be more consistent in it's own end of ice. You start with that and everything below it sorta falls into place. You have a skill guy in Jake or Sheary you can add to a lower line as well which is the best for everyone.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
The best case with a Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel line is that it's HBK only with an extra finisher...supposedly. With all this talk about how awesome Sheahan's shot is supposed to be, I have to wonder why he never scores goals. But even if he falls into the old Bonino role of winning faceoffs, playing defense, and trying not to f*** up the offense too badly, it could work while Kessel feasts on third parings. Hagelin-Sheahan-Hornqvist doesn't have a puck carrier unless Hagelin gets a breakaway.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel could be good and allow Kessel to do his thing, but then who does that leave to play with Malkin? Sheary definitely clashes with him, so its either Rust or Jake with Horny. Rust-Malkin-Hornqvist? I dont know, that could be a really engaging line for Malkin, but then it still leaves Jake and Sheary together which I dislike.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
What i'm hoping for... we continue the Oilers struggles and aren't the turnaround point. I also want to see Sheahan get a hatty, even if it's completely lucky. A start like that can change everything. New team, fresh start, fresh everything. Have one of those amazing nights and it all changes. :yo:
we could start him with sid and geno as his wings. :)

Reactions: ColePens

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Again, the huge caveat here that I don't watch the Wings, I don't care about the Wings, and thus I'm pretty ignorant of Sheahan's overall skills beyond what he did a few years back.

Having said that, here's my thing: having two shooters on a line is always a problematic situation. You almost always do better having someone to crash the net like Hornqvist with a shooter (like Sid when he's in his goal-scoring mode), than you do with two shooters on a line. That's why I'm not as huge of a fan of Kessel on that line because Kessel works best as a triggerman IMO. (Granted, you can make a similar argument with Kessel and Malkin.) So, in that situation, I'd rather have a few games with Horny there to see what he can do with someone throwing the pucks on net for him.

The idea is if that clicks, you are now rolling 3 offensive lines again instead of trying to load the top 6. And then all you have to tinker with is that 4th line.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Can Guentzel or Hagelin play off wing? I've wondered about a Guentzel - Crosby - Hagelin line for a while now... Hagelin is awesome at a lot of little things, and mostly has issues finishing, but if he can keep pucks alive, dig in corners, and play along the boards with Sid..almost like Guentzel can just be ready to tee-off. I liked the Hagelin, Crosby, Hornqvist line but they just have a tough time receiving those deep Sid passes that Guentzel doesn't seem to have an issue with.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I'd go

I really don't know about putting Sheary with Malkin. It looks like an intriguing fit on paper but I get the feeling Malkin would be more or less completely done with that arrangement after a few shifts of never seeing the puck again after he dished it off to Sheary. It kind of stinks that there aren't any pure triggermen in the wings of the current lineup. That's really the kind of player he needs riding shotgun. At least as his "option A" on that line.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I really don't know about putting Sheary with Malkin. It looks like an intriguing fit on paper but I get the feeling Malkin would be more or less completely done with that arrangement after a few shifts of never seeing the puck again after he dished it off to Sheary. It kind of stinks that there aren't any pure triggermen in the wings of the current lineup. That's really the kind of player he needs riding shotgun. At least as his "option A" on that line.

There's Sprong

I'm hoping the Malkin spin-a-rama goal against EDM becomes a thing again.....no triggerman needed

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I'm still curious about what they'd do and if Sheary could adapt to what Malkin wants. Sheary on a roll could work well there, imo. Sprong is imminent anyway.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There's Sprong

I'm hoping the Malkin spin-a-rama goal against EDM becomes a thing again.....no triggerman needed

Yeah. That's kind of who I was thinking of, down the road. Malkin has said in the past he prefers his triggerman on the right, too. Obviously Kessel is a very, very gifted shooter. But... it's different. He likes to use his lightning fast and deceptive release on the fly. On Malkin's wing, it seems more beneficial to have his primary wing be a player who can snap off a one-timer or quick shot on goal with little hesitation.

And yeah... that would be pretty sweet. I hope we see an angry/motivated Malkin, tonight.

Maybe not TOO angry.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Can Guentzel or Hagelin play off wing? I've wondered about a Guentzel - Crosby - Hagelin line for a while now... Hagelin is awesome at a lot of little things, and mostly has issues finishing, but if he can keep pucks alive, dig in corners, and play along the boards with Sid..almost like Guentzel can just be ready to tee-off. I liked the Hagelin, Crosby, Hornqvist line but they just have a tough time receiving those deep Sid passes that Guentzel doesn't seem to have an issue with.

Guentzel can play anywhere. I think he was RW a few games with Sid and Sheary was at LW.

Hags, with the depth at RW, I don't get why moving him there would make any sense. I assumse though, with his style of play, it wouldn't affect him that much.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
the best thing: if Sheahan is any good, this may gives sully a bunch of different options, he is stuck with Guentzel and Sheary flanking Sid, that;s why all other lines will always have some kind of issue, moving Horny to Sid's right, gives us numerous different looks that we could explore...so Sid, please take one for the team here.....

so...
Guentz Sid Horny
Sheary Malkin Rust
Hags Sheahan kessel
Archie, Mc -whoever.....

rolling and all of that without Sprong.....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel could be good and allow Kessel to do his thing, but then who does that leave to play with Malkin? Sheary definitely clashes with him, so its either Rust or Jake with Horny. Rust-Malkin-Hornqvist? I dont know, that could be a really engaging line for Malkin, but then it still leaves Jake and Sheary together which I dislike.

I don't recall Sheary clashing with Malkin. Incredibly small sample size, but I'm pretty sure he produces as much with Malkin as he does with Crosby.

Only thing about Sheary is you can't have Kessel on the other wing because then you'd have the two worst defensive wingers on one line. Malkin would have to channel his inner Patrice Bergeron in order for that line not to be a total fail.

Reactions: Andy99

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-McKegg-Reaves/Archibald

These are the correct lines. You could even flip Sheary and Guentzel as needed

WILL that happen? Doubtful as Sully seems pretty married to Kessel/Malkin very early in the season bc he won a Cup that that combo. I applaud him from moving on from HBK, bc it flat out sucked last season but that was due to Bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad