Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
On Reaves/Sully - was it Florida where he took a penalty straight after we scored? That might help explain him going from 10 to 5 shifts.

Upon checking. That happened against Florida and Tampa.

Tampa in the 1st period while tied 1-1. Goal at 13:46 and Reaves for holding at 14:07. Tampa scored at 19:59 (on a Letang penalty) 3:52 after the penalty ended.
Florida in the 3rd period while up 4-2. Goal at 1:59 and Reaves for slashing at 2:25. Florida scored at 6:18 at ES 1:53 after the penalty ended.

Tampa was his first really low minute game and then the Rangers game following the Florida game was the other. Tampa was probably more about getting him off the ice quickly imo but who knows for sure. He was -1 against Tampa and the Rangers, 0 against Florida.

The most tangible difference with having him is how many penalties they're taking. That's not his fault but maybe Sullivan associates him with that or maybe JR shouldn't have f***ing said the league wasn't protecting their stars so they'd get someone who would. There's an article where JR talked about how you can see a difference and it's just like... penalties and a player Sullivan seemingly has some problem with that he won't play.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So Sully's blowing smoke...what a surprise

Vabm8... you should have Mackey's job. You should email him your stats. This is my constant complaint about the PGH sports writers. They just repeat what the teams tell them with zero analysis. Good job

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
So Sully's blowing smoke...what a surprise

Vabm8... you should have Mackey's job. You should email him your stats. This is my constant complaint about the PGH sports writers. They just repeat what the teams tell them with zero analysis. Good job

Mackey is a beat writer, thats his job. Hes there to report not analyze.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Mackey is a beat writer, thats his job. Hes there to report not analyze.

I was a newspaper reporter in my former career. And your job is not just report the b.s. people say but to put it in context. You must not be following the Trump reporting if that's what you think. When he says something untrue or that contradicts what he previously said, it's the reporter's job to explain that to the public with past examples or other facts. That's difference between good reporting and crap

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I saw a comment saying that Sullivan plays Reaves like he played Sestito and it's pretty true so far as far as minutes and shifts go. I'd love to know what conversations went on about this move because it looks like JR got Sullivan a player Sullivan took less than 10 games to be like "almost the same as the old one."

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I was a newspaper reporter in my former career. And your job is not just report the b.s. people say but to put it in context. You must not be following the Trump reporting if that's what you think. When he says something untrue or that contradicts what he previously said, it's the reporter's job to explain that to the public with past examples or other facts. That's difference between good reporting and crap

He asked a question and reported the answer. Its not his job to inject his opinion into the coaches answer. If Sullivan says something completely different tomorrow, its his job to report the new answer and that it is different than the answer from a few days ago. It isnt his job to parse and/or analyze Sullivan initial answer. Unless he writes an opinion separately column as well.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The problem is there is no chemistry on Line 4. Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves was a heck of a line in St. Louis. Ruutu-Talbot-Laraque was a heck of a fourth line for us.

Once we add another center, I have to assume that McKegg will center the fourth line. The other winger could be any of Kuhnhackl, Wilson or Rowney.

We'll see what the fourth unit looks like at that point.

Honestly, Carter Rowney has been an offensive black hole so far this season. This was the main reason why I wasn't pencilling him into the lineup during training camp. I still think he'll be the 13th forward when all is said and done.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rowney is a good 4th liner. Kuhn is a good 4th liner. Reaves is a good 4th liner. But there is only room for 1 of those guys. Not all 3. That's the problem. Each of those guys is a 3rd wheel to a 4th line. And we all know you can't have three 3rd wheels.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Rowney is a good 4th liner. Kuhn is a good 4th liner. Reaves is a good 4th liner. But there is only room for 1 of those guys. Not all 3. That's the problem. Each of those guys is a 3rd wheel to a 4th line. And we all know you can't have three 3rd wheels.

Yeah, I think that 4th line will be better if it had a line driver, particularly at center. Cullen was perfect in that role, and I think a guy like McKegg could do a better job of it than Rowney can.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly don't see any reason to think that Rowney is a good 4th liner. Same with Reaves. Kuhnhackl at least was one in the past, but that was when he was playing with Cullen, so I'm not sure he can do that on his own.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Horny better keep his head up tonight.

Florida didn't forget about that hit to the head.

I wonder if Horny will fight because somebody will challenge him tonight.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I know it's just one clip, but Sheahan doesn't look slow from this. He looks like a pretty good skater, actually.

He is a good skater. I have no idea where the myth came from that he is Bones-esque.

He has everything you droll about in a third line pivot... size, skating, hands, great shot, defensive acumen. What he lacks is drive and at this point, confidence.

I have no idea if he will rebound from his confidence being shot, but he certainly won't fail because of lack of a good toolbox.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't like this 3rd line, mainly because the playmaking talent is nonexistent there. I do think Hornqvist and Sheahan will be a great duo, but Hagelin on the other wing isn't what I'd want.

I think the Penguins are a Sprong recall away from having the best forward lineup they can have. Kuhnhackl out of the lineup, Hagelin to the 4th line, Sheary to the 3rd line and Sprong on Sid's RW? Sure.

He is a good skater. I have no idea where the myth came from that he is Bones-esque.

He has everything you droll about in a third line pivot... size, skating, hands, great shot, defensive acumen. What he lacks is drive and at this point, confidence.

I have no idea if he will rebound from his confidence being shot, but he certainly won't fail because of lack of a good toolbox.

Yeah I never thought Sheahan was a bad skater, I just kept seeing it on here for some reason. I thought he was at worst a wash with Bonino, but most likely better.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hunwick still must be struggling with concussion symptoms because he's not out there either and it's been a week

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I haven't liked the Sid and the Kids all year so far. Disappointed it's still "a thing" apparently

Edit...rather see Horny with Sid and Sheary on third

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->