The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ya know what's fun to think back on? Ducks fans complaining about Manson all year, despite all evidence, and now he's their top pairing dmen and they love him now :laugh:

They were complaining about him on their board this game and saying he's been playing poorly lately.

Seemed like he won every 1 on 1 battle against a Ranger tonight and played an effective overall game but what do I know

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They were complaining about him on their board this game and saying he's been playing poorly lately.

Seemed like he won every 1 on 1 battle against a Ranger tonight and played an effective overall game but what do I know
Wait, really? What’s in the water in Orange County because Manson was a machine last night.

Also, I love how we’re top 5 in xGF and dead last in xGA. “We may win, but I may die” forever.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm actually pretty shocked to see how handily we won the xG battle. I thought a lot of the Ducks chances were B+ to A+

Eye test!
I want Vally’s data so badly. I know we’re apprently the top-team at generating slot-line passes, but how are we at defending them? Is this the crux of AV’s “good looks” mantra? Are we opening Pandora’s box?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I want Vally’s data so badly. I know we’re apprently the top-team at generating slot-line passes, but how are we at defending them? Is this the crux of AV’s “good looks” mantra? Are we opening Pandora’s box?
I think we're seeing exactly what AV hockey is making this team. Over-reliance on goaltending, which is okay when Hank is net and Pavelec is playing like he is. However, you're always playing with fire when you do this.

There's also an over-reliance on "timely" shooting.

Since November (15-5-1), only 7 teams in the league are outshooting and outsaving their expected (Corsica.Hockey). The Rangers are one of them.

Also tweeted a summary of ranks this AM:

(Since 11/1, 5v5 unadjusted)

31st in CF%
21st in xGF%
6th in GF%
1st in xFSh%
23rd in xFSv%
4th in GSAE

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think we're seeing exactly what AV hockey is making this team. Over-reliance on goaltending, which is okay when Hank is net and Pavelec is playing like he is. However, you're always playing with fire when you do this.

There's also an over-reliance on "timely" shooting.

Since November (15-5-1), only 7 teams in the league are outshooting and outsaving their expected (Corsica.Hockey). The Rangers are one of them.

Also tweeted a summary of ranks this AM:

(Since 11/1, 5v5 unadjusted)

31st in CF%
21st in xGF%
6th in GF%
1st in xFSh%
23rd in xFSv%
4th in GSAE
I just saw the tweet. The we may win but I may die hashtag almost made me choke on my coffee. It’s my favorite meme of this season behind consume the pizza.

Did you happen to see what their ranks were in xGF and xGA over that time spn?

Reactions: silverfish

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
9R2brbl.jpg

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Miller to SJ for Heed and Meier. Who says no?

Value on paper makes sense to me, but I think SJ says no because they're really going to need Meier's ELC and Heed's cheap deal next season, even with Jumbos $8m AAV coming off the books.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Rangers. I think we could get more than that for him though, a guy like Miller who is coming off a 56 point season, and looks like he might get there again could probably return a ton. Rangers won't trade him IMO.
The fact that you think the Rangers could get more than that for him is decidedly why he should be traded.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The fact that you think the Rangers could get more than that for him is decidedly why he should be traded.
Of course. Ondrej Kase+, Alex Tuch+, Heed+Meier, etc, would all be fantastic deals, and give us a ton of cap space to maneuver with. But we both know, the Rangers don't really care about the stuff we talk about, so Miller's heavily declining shot rate, that has been declining ever since he got into the league, as well as his very bad CF and xG numbers, is probably not a factor in their decision making.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Of course. Ondrej Kase+, Alex Tuch+, Heed+Meier, etc, would all be fantastic deals, and give us a ton of cap space to maneuver with. But we both know, the Rangers don't really care about the stuff we talk about, so Miller's heavily declining shot rate, that has been declining ever since he got into the league, as well as his very bad CF and xG numbers, is probably not a factor in their decision making.
Power-kill!

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Still kinda mind boggling how he’s still a good possession player although he never shoots. You’d think that type of effect would drive his teammates down, but it doesn’t. He’s the anti-Hayes

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Timo I think is gonna fully hit his stride soon and turn into a Niederreiter type of player. Kid is a bull on the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad