The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
We’re 2 ****ing standard deviations away from league average. Two. ****ing. Standard. Deviations.

I could live with favoring quality over quantity if we were about middle of the pack in the overall shot attempt battle like Winnipeg, but much better in the quality battle. We’re in a league of our own at the shot attempt battle
Bright side: At least we're bad at something we don't care about. Not like the organization is out here stressing quantity attempts and we're still worthless

Glass half full kind of day.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I wish the real Lottery system allowed us to press the button an indefinite amount of times until we got the desired result.

I'd like our odds then. :laugh:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is this only the second draft lottery that the Rangers will have a chance at the first pick? What a time.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Obviously teams like Arizona, Buffalo, or Carolina can still **** it up. But winning the lottery is also their only real shot to compete to an extent.

People have been brain-washed into believing the lottery is a lousy team's only chance to compete. What too many people overlook is that most of these lousy teams weren't always that lousy. It's only when they decide they are tanking that they trade away every serviceable player, and don't look to sign any players to improve their team, that they wind up suiting up a lousy AHL roster. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The 180 spin some of the folks on this board have done on AV is always so funny to me

Before the season, people said "Look at his record, he's a top 5 coach in the league, he's not the issue, you don't have a clue" and now the same folks are saying "AV's success is based on having 2 generational goaltenders, I never said he was a top coach"

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The 180 spin some of the folks on this board have done on AV is always so funny to me

Before the season, people said "Look at his record, he's a top 5 coach in the league, he's not the issue, you don't have a clue" and now the same folks are saying "AV's success is based on having 2 generational goaltenders, I never said he was a top coach"
Are you sure you're not describing two different sets of posters?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Love how the difference in takes between Gilmour and Pionk is completely PDO based.

There is also something else to it. Gilmour has been play with O'Gara recently. Pionk has mostly played with Staal and Skjei. Say whatever you want about Staal, he's at least better and more experienced than O'Gara. Everyone who he has played with has drawn the ire of this fanbase.

Logically, if they could find him someone else to play with, I think people would go back to saying Gilmour has been fine.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
People have been brain-washed into believing the lottery is a lousy team's only chance to compete. What too many people overlook is that most of these lousy teams weren't always that lousy. It's only when they decide they are tanking that they trade away every serviceable player, and don't look to sign any players to improve their team, that they wind up suiting up a lousy AHL roster. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Nah, I'm basing it on annual revenue and spending. Some teams are assured competitive budgets, others are doing all they can not to lose money every year. The NHL, being such a niche sport with geographic limits, needs revenue sharing more than any I'm.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
There is also something else to it. Gilmour has been play with O'Gara recently. Pionk has mostly played with Staal and Skjei. Say whatever you want about Staal, he's at least better and more experienced than O'Gara. Everyone who he has played with has drawn the ire of this fanbase.

Logically, if they could find him someone else to play with, I think people would go back to saying Gilmour has been fine.
O'Gara is so bad it's almost comical

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
O'Gara is so bad it's almost comical

If the organization hadn't soured on Graves, I would hope he'd be playing right now over him.

Shattenkirk returning (want no part of this for this season) would give us the 3RH and 3LH shots back. Play Sproul over O'Gara:

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk
Gilmour-Sproul

One thing I have noticed is that Sproul hasn't looked bad when he has been up with the team (3rd pairing guy). He's been a relatively even possession, SCF% player, low PDO (SV%). He was sent back to Hartford once Staal was healthy.

He's not going to get enough games played by the end of the season to avoid UFA (Group 6), but I'd rather him play than O'Gara. It's a SSS, but he's been better than O'Gara. Wonder if they'd offer him a 1 year deal to see if he can stick after training camp. They lack options beyond ADA, Pionk, and Shatty next season as RHD.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Of all our pairs that played together at least 50 minutes this season (sample size, I know), Skjei-Gilmour are 2nd in CF% to Skjei-ADA and first in xGF%, and 2nd and 1st in the corresponding relative stats.

Skjei-ADA have been almost as good together, but it still annoys me that we had a top pair that was owning the competition for a hundred minutes and then, I assume on a whim, AV splits them up and slaps a pair of cement shoes on one of them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Bright side: At least we're bad at something we don't care about. Not like the organization is out here stressing quantity attempts and we're still worthless

Glass half full kind of day.

Still, this team literally doesn't care about shooting and people wonder why I want the coach fired.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Vanek staring down a 50 point season. Nobody on HFNYR wanted to touch him with [redacted] except the people in this thread.

You guys, I think we're on to something here.

Stepan 2 apples last night, 47 points on the year. Lulz.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Vanek staring down a 50 point season. Nobody on HFNYR wanted to touch him with Garth Snow's dick except the people in this thread.

You guys, I think we're on to something here.

Stepan 2 apples last night, 47 points on the year. Lulz.
I could do without the visual

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Since you’re not working ( :sarcasm: ), pls explain to me how Will Karlsson increased his shooting% by 200%.

Is shooting% the latent variable that explains all of NHL play? #bigiftrue
I'm working smarter, not harder!

I don't know. Sh% is bullshit and makes no sense. In Karlsson's case, though, he's also really beefed up his ixG from what I remember. So it's not like the guy is generating the same chances and exploded, but he's generating more dangerous chances as well.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm working smarter, not harder!

I don't know. Sh% is bull**** and makes no sense. In Karlsson's case, though, he's also really beefed up his ixG from what I remember. So it's not like the guy is generating the same chances and exploded, but he's generating more dangerous chances as well.
Fun fact: Jimmy Vesey has more ixGF and a higher ixGF/60 than Wild Bill.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
d92.jpg

Reactions: Bob Richards

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This is kind of shocking. 5v5 or all situations? How does their ixFsh% compare?

Karlsson is an arbitration eligible RFA. Is he gonna get paid based off this? What do you do here? I think he's UFA eligible after the 19-20 season.

Two year bridge at $4.5m AAV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad