Prospect Info: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
There is no team with 2 picks in the 30's. Closest would be DRW with 41,42, 43.

StL has 25 & 29. What would we need to add to 18 to get both of those?
We gave up 22 and 36 for 18 and 79 in the 2016 draft, so probably something similar to that.

Logan Stanley and Luke Green for two chances to take Alex DeBrincat, coming off not one but two 50-goal seasons in the OHL. Jesus f***, it never gets easier to think about.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We gave up 22 and 36 for 18 and 79 in the 2016 draft, so probably something similar to that.

Logan Stanley and Luke Green for two chances to take Alex DeBrincat, coming off not one but two 50-goal seasons in the OHL. Jesus f***, it never gets easier to think about.

Could have had both DeBrincat and Gerard. We had posters here calling for exactly that and both stayed available until after our picks. IIRC Garrett was one, but there were 2-3 others as well. :laugh: :cry:

So ...... 18 + 82 is getting pretty close?

Reactions: JetsFan815

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Could have had both DeBrincat and Gerard. We had posters here calling for exactly that and both stayed available until after our picks. IIRC Garrett was one, but there were 2-3 others as well. :laugh: :cry:

So ...... 18 + 82 is getting pretty close?
I'd make that trade.

Usually, I'm the first one to single out Chevy for screwing up like that, but he certainly wasn't the only one to skip DeBrincat. I think I counted 18 or 19 teams who had a pick before 39 that could reasonably have been used to select him and didn't do it.

Speaking of, I wonder whether Andrew Cristall becomes this draft's "so you're not six foot" -superstar. Ridiculous production in the WHL for two years now, but he doesn't seem to get that much love from the scouts. It could be handy to have a late first rounder in our hands, in case he's passed on by most teams (similarly to Arthur Kaliyev in 2019, who basically outscored every draft-eligible CHLer and went at 33).

Last edited:

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
I absolutely love this time of year. The NHL entry draft is my favourite NHL event of the season. I obsess and indulge in every Youtube prospect video, Elite Prospects content, follow every damn Twitter user that posts draft information, and deep dive into every list made both by insiders and public scouts as well.

Take with a grain of salt, but these are my favourite forwards in order for the 2023 draft

1. Connor Bedard
2. Matvei Michkov
3. Will Smith
4. Adam Fantilli
5. Ryan Leonard
6. Leo Carlsson

(none of the above will be available to Jets, obviously)

7. Oliver Moore
8. Matthew Wood
9. Daniil But
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Quentin Musty
12. Gabe Perreault
13. Brayden Yager
14. Bradley Nadeau
15. Colby Barlow
16. Nate Danielson
17. Andrew Cristall
18. Eduard Sale
19. Callum Ritchie
20. Nick Lardis
21. Otto Stenberg
22. Jayden Perron
23. William Whitelaw

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I absolutely love this time of year. The NHL entry draft is my favourite NHL event of the season. I obsess and indulge in every Youtube prospect video, Elite Prospects content, follow every damn Twitter user that posts draft information, and deep dive into every list made both by insiders and public scouts as well.

Take with a grain of salt, but these are my favourite forwards in order for the 2023 draft

1. Connor Bedard
2. Matvei Michkov
3. Will Smith
4. Adam Fantilli
5. Ryan Leonard
6. Leo Carlsson

(none of the above will be available to Jets, obviously)

7. Oliver Moore
8. Matthew Wood
9. Daniil But
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Quentin Musty
12. Gabe Perreault
13. Brayden Yager
14. Bradley Nadeau
15. Colby Barlow
16. Nate Danielson
17. Andrew Cristall
18. Eduard Sale
19. Callum Ritchie
20. Nick Lardis
21. Otto Stenberg
22. Jayden Perron
23. William Whitelaw
missing Honzek?

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
missing Honzek?

Not my favourite. In Honzek, I see a big man with a nice stride, but not much subtlety or deception in his game. He reminds me of Crouse without the fighting.

Matthew Wood is similar size but has the new age *compact release* on his wrist shot. His hands are nifty and and his offensive game is more interesting. Wood scored an incredible 45 goals in 46 games in the BCHL as a 16 year old. He also led the entire BCHL in scoring (85 pts) despite being up to four years younger than most players. The BCHL is no joke of a league and it's where NCAA prospects choose to play to not burn their eligibility. He played at UCONN NCAA as a true *underager*. His birthday is February so he graduated high school a year early to make the jump. He played nearly the entire NCAA season as a 17 year old and LED HIS TEAM IN SCORING with 35 pts in 34 games. At the U18s this spring he had 7 goals in 7 games which led Canada. He's legit.

The other VERY interesting *big man* is Daniil But. A very nifty, fast, creative 6'5 player who can fly. And his shot can only be described as violent. The Russian factor will push him down ... but I see a bit of Laine in him!

Matthew Wood

Daniil But

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Not my favourite. In Honzek, I see a big man with a nice stride, but not much subtlety or deception in his game. He reminds me of Crouse without the fighting.

Matthew Wood is similar size but has the new age *compact release* on his wrist shot. His hands are nifty and and his offensive game is more interesting. Wood scored an incredible 45 goals in 46 games in the BCHL as a 16 year old. He also led the entire BCHL in scoring (85 pts) despite being up to four years younger than most players. The BCHL is no joke of a league and it's where NCAA prospects choose to play to not burn their eligibility. He played at UCONN NCAA as a true *underager*. His birthday is February so he graduated high school a year early to make the jump. He played nearly the entire NCAA season as a 17 year old and LED HIS TEAM IN SCORING with 35 pts in 34 games. At the U18s this spring he had 7 goals in 7 games which led Canada. He's legit.

The other VERY interesting *big man* is Daniil But. A very nifty, fast, creative 6'5 player who can fly. And his shot can only be described as violent. The Russian factor will push him down ... but I see a bit of Laine in him!

Matthew Wood

Daniil But

Matthew Wood intrigues me a lot, as a draft eligble leading his NCAA team in points. If he was putting up points in the CHL with that size I'd be concerned that he was just a man overpowering boys but he played in a league with mostly early 20 year olds and still put up points. Probably gone before 18 but you never know..

Reactions: Buffdog

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Matthew Wood intrigues me a lot, as a draft eligble leading his NCAA team in points. If he was putting up points in the CHL with that size I'd be concerned that he was just a man overpowering boys but he played in a league with mostly early 20 year olds and still put up points. Probably gone before 18 but you never know..

I would love if Wood was there when we picked but I just can’t see him being around at #18.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I wondered aloud about Perfetti dropping to #10 in 2020 due to size and skating. Yager is that guy for me this year that could fall to #18. Yager just seems like a Jet pick. Same as Perfetti.

Five days and we’ll know.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i see this team w/ at least 2 1sts. One from Helle (PIT has been my spot), and either ours, however.....

id love for this team to use one of our supposed departing players (scheifele, pld) to somehow get into the top-10 so we can draft a legitimate Centre prospect that has a high % of chance of being one in the NHL. however, imo the only viable teams that are moving out of the top-10, and this is dependent on who is on the board of course, is STL or WSH.

CHI, ANH, CBJ, SJS, MTL, ARI, PHI i don't think so. rebuild teams probably dont want UFA-1s or players that may not sign there at the value of a top-10 1st. DET is 9th - i think they'd be more open with 17th to move.

STL/WSH strike me more of teams that had bad years rather than legit rebuilds so could def move out their top-10 1st for a high quality Centre. WSH was kind of like us in the first half they were around top-10 and that had a colossal drop-off. both teams need Cs with ROR gone in STL, and aging/contracts of Backstrom and Kuz. I do think if Michkov is there at 8, WSH keeps the pick and takes given their success w/ Russians over the years. WSH has 2 RHD prospects who frankly i don't know enough about but could be good additions for us, and were some high 2nd rd picks in Chesley and Iorio. Can also take back the Mantha contract for an additional pick.

so if Michkov gone my fantasy-hockey deal of the day - we get the 8th+Chesley/Iorio+Mantha+protected 2024 1st for PLD+18th

again depending on the board: with 14th overall (PIT) id be open to moving back in that range and getting 2-3 shots in the ~20-~40 range were prospects usually tend to flatten a bit. ofc dependent on draft-to-draft and fallers.

SJS last year moved back 16 spots from 11th (Geekie) for 27th (Bystedt), 34th (Lund) and 45th (Havelid). idk enough about this draft to say if the prospect pool is similar in talent level/status to last year's but it's def something to consider imo.

SJS coincidentally has 26th and 36th, but nothing else in the 2nd. that's getting close to their trade last year (could take next year's 2nd which will likely be super early too)
CHI has 19th and 35th and 44th.... maybe 14th for 19th+44th.
DET has 17th, 41st, 42nd and 43rd..... DET are usually the ones to trade back :laugh:.
STL has 25th and 29th....they have no 2nds though so might not be as eager to move up.
and ofc MTL has 31st and 37th.... that's close to the SJS trade last year but would want a 2nd (could be next year's which likely is early again).

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyarena

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com

TSN’s Craig Button joined the Illegal Curve Hockey Show to chat about the 2023 NHL Draft which gets underway in Nashville on Wednesday with Round 1.

Topics included:
1. Risk/Reward with Matvei Michkov (1:32)
2. Insight into Dmen Axel Sandin Pellikka/Tom Willander and might they be available for Jets to select 18th overall (5:09)
3. What might the Jets get if they select Oliver Moore 18th? (9:43)
4. Adam Fantilli vs Leo Carlsson (12:49)
5. His thoughts on Otto Stenberg (16:11)
6. Players who could be diamonds in the rough (21:34)*

*He mentioned Carey Terrance (Erie Otters of OHL) at 22:47, Winnipegger Jayden Perron (Chicago Steel of USHL, committed to UND) at 23:23:25, goalie Scott Ratzlaff (Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL) at 24:21 and Tyler Peddle (Drummondville Voltigeurs of QMJHL) at 25:26.

Edited: As I left out one of the diamond in the rough candidates from the description.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

TSN’s Craig Button joined the Illegal Curve Hockey Show to chat about the 2023 NHL Draft which gets underway in Nashville on Wednesday with Round 1.

Topics included:
1. Risk/Reward with Matvei Michkov (1:32)
2. Insight into Dmen Axel Sandin Pellikka/Tom Willander and might they be available for Jets to select 18th overall (5:09)
3. What might the Jets get if they select Oliver Moore 18th? (9:43)
4. Adam Fantilli vs Leo Carlsson (12:49)
5. His thoughts on Otto Stenberg (16:11)
6. Players who could be diamonds in the rough (21:34)*

*He mentioned Carey Terrance (Erie Otters of OHL) at 22:47, Winnipegger Jayden Perron (Chicago Steel of USHL, committed to UND) at 23:23:25, goalie Scott Ratzlaff (Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL) at 24:21 and Tyler Peddle (Drummondville Voltigeurs of QMJHL) at 25:26.

Edited: As I left out one of the diamond in the rough candidates from the description.

Thanks for this Dave.

I listened to the segment earlier. Very interesting and insightful.

And thank you for all you do, especially in making the IC content available for us info needy fans. Can’t get enough Jets and Moose content.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Thanks for this Dave.

I listened to the segment earlier. Very interesting and insightful.

And thank you for all you do, especially in making the IC content available for us info needy fans. Can’t get enough Jets and Moose content.
You're most welcome and thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yager seems like a Jets pick honestly
Hard to peg how the Jets will go.

They've picked late risers / sleepers (like Scheifele), but also players that dropped a bit during their draft season after being highly rated pre-season (like Lucius and Salomonsson). Yager would fit into the latter category - very highly rated going into the season, dropped, but then seems to have bounced back late in the season.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I called that 22 + 36 for Stanley trade "devastating" when it happened and only got grief and criticism for it by many on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad