Prospect Info: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah the argument at that time was something like "why are some of you being so negative writing this trade off before the guy has even played a game for the Jets, let's talk about it 5 years from now"... it has been 5+ years now...

I think the use of "devastating" is still hyperbole. I haven't liked Stanley much but he's been an ok defenceman and the combo of Dennis Cholowski (who I believe a few people wanted the Jets to pick over Stanley) or German Rubtsov and Pascal Laberge hasn't exactly lit the league on fire either.

I don't think they'd make that trade again but to call it devastating cheapens the point you're trying to make and makes it easier to dismiss.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think most of us here did not like trading up to select Logan Stanley at the time it was done.

That - and many of us didn't like taking Stanley anytime before the 3rd or 4th rd. He was a mid to late round gamble that you take because you can't teach 6'7.

I would not have taken him with either 22 or 36.

The risk was that he would be gone if we waited. Not much of a risk.

Oh good, we've reached the "revisit the Stanley draft gambit 7 years later" phase of the discussion. 🥱

:laugh: You knew it was coming.

While we are at it .......... Lee Stempniak.
There, now that one is out of the way too.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think the use of "devastating" is still hyperbole. I haven't liked Stanley much but he's been an ok defenceman and the combo of Dennis Cholowski (who I believe a few people wanted the Jets to pick over Stanley) or German Rubtsov and Pascal Laberge hasn't exactly lit the league on fire either.

I don't think they'd make that trade again but to call it devastating cheapens the point you're trying to make and makes it easier to dismiss.

I am not saying the Jets were guaranteed to get good NHL players out of #22 and #36, sure the Jets could have drafted Rubstov and Leberge with those picks and still end up with nothing, just that standing and making those picks was a better bet than trading so much for Stanley who statisically wasn't anywhere close to a 1st round pick at that time. I don't know what the Jets draft board looked like but if the Jets have 2 kicks at the can then maybe the are able to use one of them to draft Girard/DeBrincat and even if they don't that's fine as it still would be better than the Stanley hail-mary pass.

What I don't like about that draft was that there was too much of a "we feel like we already won the draft by winning the lottery and drafting Laine so we are playing with house money now and may as well take wild bet on Stanley" vibe with that move. If the Jets hadn't won the lottery and just drafted at 6th overall I doubt they make that move.

Reactions: Flair Hay

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
That - and many of us didn't like taking Stanley anytime before the 3rd or 4th rd. He was a mid to late round gamble that you take because you can't teach 6'7.

I would not have taken him with either 22 or 36.

The risk was that he would be gone if we waited. Not much of a risk.

:laugh: You knew it was coming.

While we are at it .......... Lee Stempniak.
There, now that one is out of the way too.

Eyssimont. Hattrick complete.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
7. Oliver Moore
12. Gabe Perreault
13. Brayden Yager
15. Colby Barlow
I haven't seen a single mock draft where all 4 of these guys were off the board by 18. That has me very, very excited. Like Ehlers and Nylander both on the board excited. Almost as excited as Barzal and Connor still available excited.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I haven't seen a single mock draft where all 4 of these guys were off the board by 18. That has me very, very excited. Like Ehlers and Nylander both on the board excited. Almost as excited as Barzal and Connor still available excited.
This draft excites me. It has so many good players around where we pick and in fact if we got one of those 4 I’d be over the moon. I like all 4 a lot. Danielson, Benson and Dvorsky will be gone though sadly. I’m not a huge Honzek fan either.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This draft excites me. It has so many good players around where we pick and in fact if we got one of those 4 I’d be over the moon. I like all 4 a lot. Danielson, Benson and Dvorsky will be gone though sadly. I’m not a huge Honzek fan either.
This would be a hell of a draft to get another mid 1st selection. I keep coming back to the Pens pick at #14. Do the move it as a part of a Helly deal?

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Oh good, we've reached the "revisit the Stanley draft gambit 7 years later" phase of the discussion. 🥱
Logan Stanley Free Zone.jpg

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I hope Danielson is gone. Besides the fact he plays in Brandon (no, the jets don’t need to just draft Western Canada guys), he has a low ceiling and a high floor. Basically a low end 2C or a solid 3C potential. Among the oldest players in the class and couldn’t score points in the W. No thanks. Inb4 “Brandon wasn’t good”. Did that stop others like Heidt, Ziemmer, Honzek and Cristall? You don’t take guys like that in R1 if you want to take a step forward in your organization.

Sale, Honzek, Barlow, Yager, Musty, Simashev, ASP, Willander, Stenberg I’d take above him. Even Molendyk, Brindley, Cristall.

If Moore or Perreault falls they would be great too. Not a Cal Ritchie fan.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I appreciate it! Thanks you.

We are sneaking in a show tnt at 9 PM re: Dubois trade for those who are interested (Link here).

Thanks! :thumbu:

I posted a link to your YouTube show on the Dubois trade thread on the main HFBoards this afternoon so I hope it got you some extra views!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As much as my preconceived notions on Chevys inactivity, I believe. Heh

It's not entirely impossible. But more likely we get a draft pick and a lesser goalie out of the equation. Potentially Schmid+ from the Devils or UPK+ from the Sabres.

I think no matter where Helle goes the Jets will want someone between the pipes in return.

Reactions: RabidOne

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It's not entirely impossible. But more likely we get a draft pick and a lesser goalie out of the equation. Potentially Schmid+ from the Devils or UPK+ from the Sabres.

I think no matter where Helle goes the Jets will want someone between the pipes in return.
I suggested Vanecek and Holtz on the trade thread. It wouldn't need to happen tomorrow. Devils should have room after extending Maier and Tofoli takes up a RW spot on the roster.

Reactions: Daximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad