Prospect Info: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't even have to say it, you already know. But I'll say it anyways. It's never to early for a draft thread.

When: June 2023
Where: TBD

This one could be a doozy and I think we may see some clear tanking by teams in order to get their hands on one of the top 3 projected players. This is one of those years where finishing last and losing the lottery might honestly not be that big of a deal. Let's kick things off with my preliminary top 10.

1. Connor Bedard
RC - 5'9 - 181 - Regina, WHL
Bedard is currently favoured to be the top prospect available for the 2023 draft and for good reason. This kid is electric. He has elite skating, vision, shooting, passing, puck handling and hockey IQ. The only real knock on him is he is on the smaller side at 5'9 but he may still show some growth between now and the draft and he has a strong base to work with. We'll see if he can battle it out with the #2 and #3 to ranked players and come out ahead. I know everyone has seen him play so I'll keep it short.

2. Matvei Michkov
RW/LW - 5'10 - 160 - St. Petersburg, KHL
Michkov is as exciting as they come for a winger prospect. Elite skating, stickhandling and shooting make him a threat every time he touches the puck. He can dance around defenders with ease and has a pro level shooting arsenal that will make NHL teams salivate at what he could be capable of. While slight of frame, Michkov could add a bit more strength to his game to really pop before the draft. Expect him to challenge Bedard every step of the way, but will the new Russian factor make teams bullish on taking him high?

3. Adam Fantilli
LC - 6'3 - 192 - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA
The number 3 challenger is also a doozy of a prospect and one that will surely make NHL GM's very excited. Blending size, speed, shooting ability, physicality and skill at a premium position with pro level size already. Fantilli will start the season playing for one of the top programs in the NCAA as well. With a good season under his belt he could surely challenge the top 2 players in this draft. He has every tool and the ideal size at the position that GM's covet this high in the draft. Although he is playing in the NCAA he is from Ontario.

4. Dalibor Dvorský
LC/LW – 6'1 – 190 – AIK, Allsvenskan
They must be putting something in the water over in Slovakia recently because they are turning out great talent. Already tearing up the Swedish U20 circuit as a 16 year old, Dvorsky has been building a strong international resume as well. At the Hlinka he tied Michkov for the tournament lead in goals with 8 in 5 games and helped his team win Silver and at the 2nd division U18's he helped his team take Gold and was named top player on his team. An okay skater with a great shot arsenal and NHL size already at 17 make Dvorsky an interesting scoring option for teams at the top of the draft. While I don't think he will challenge the top 3, he has shown improvement at every level and willingness to compete and learn and I don't think it's impossible that he upsets the balance at the top.

5. Leo Carlsson
LC/W – 6'3 – 185 – Örebro, SHL
Although he may not be my top ranked player playing out of Sweden, he is my top ranked Swedish born player. Yet another skilled center with size. Carlsson blends a power game with high end offensive creativity, passing and playmaking. His shot is okay but the best part of his game seems to be how well he can find opponents in stride with a solid pass, or threads the puck through the seam right to a players stick for an easy goal. He also brings some physicality and a solid two-way game with ideal size for the center position who also is capable of playing on both wings so he brings versatility as well. He's already got 35 SHL games under his belt and will look to start the season with Örebro in the SHL giving scouts an early look at a full season against pro level competition.

6. Brayden Yager
RC/RW – 6'0 – 161 – Moose Jaw, WHL
Having had the pleasure of watching Yager in person playing for my hometown team I may be a little bias here. But if we can put that aside for a second I'd like to tell you about the next great Brayden to come out of Little Chicago. Yager has a solid blend of elite skating, stickhandling and shooting abilities that make him an easy target to go high in this draft. Set a new record for goals by a 16 year old for Moose Jaw, breaking Theo Fleury's 39 year record. Also took home the Rookie of the Year award for the WHL. Although he lacks ideal size for the center position, he could stand to add some bulk to his frame to get stronger before the draft. Yager also brings a very solid and underated two-way game to the table much like the other Brayden to come out of MJ. While Bedard will certainly get all the hype for 2023, the Regina Pats and Moose Jaw Warriors intense rivalry will certainly make for some exciting games between the two players where they will surely go head to head in every game.

7. Charlie Stramel
RC/RW – 6'3 – 216 – Univ. Of Wisconsin, NCAA
My top ranked US born player coming into the 2023 draft is yet another big C/W in Charlie Stramel. A very big power forward who got some time in the U18 system of the NTDP this year. Stramel will start the season with Wisconsin in the NCAA where he will look to establish himself as a top 10 and possibly even top 5 challenger. Stramel is a physical beast and loves to be right in the thick of it at all times. A commanding net front presence who is very hard to knock off the puck, he also brings great skating and not just for his size. He's able to create separation off the rush and drop his shoulder to drive to the net with power.

8. Calum Ritchie
RC – 6'1 – 175 – Oshawa, OHL
The top challenger coming out of the OHL this season is yey another electrifying center in Calum Ritchie. Ritchie brings a solid shot arsenal to the table to go with his elite blend of speed, creativity and hockey IQ. Richtie already brings some physicality as well, which will only get better as he grows and adds more muscle to his 6'1 frame.

9. Zach Benson
LC/W – 5'10 – 150 – Winnipeg, WHL
Yet another high end forward coming out of the Winnipeg Ice system Benson had a great rookie season and then followed it up with an absolutely insane playoffs leading the Ice in points. Blending speed, hands, creativity, IQ, determination, shooting and playmaking into a solid little package Benson is one to watch for this coming season and is right in the Jets backyard. He will need to add some bulk to his frame in order to handle the more physical aspects of higher levels but he'll have plenty of time to develop that and it will be very hard for teams to pass on his high end skill despite his smaller frame.

10. Kasper Halttunen
RW – 6'3 – 192 – HIFK, Liiga U20
The top ranked Finnish player in my eyes. Halttunen is a big body physical winger who loves to get involved down low. He's strong on the puck, is a solid skater and owns a big shot that he can get off in traffic. He's not one to shy away from physical play and is no stranger to making some punishing hits in open ice or along the boards. For a big physical guy he also has some soft hands and likes to drive the net with his big frame.

Additionally I have my preliminary top 32 up on airtable for your viewing pleasure. It should be noted that the order of this list will likely change frequently up to the start of next season. Some names will be added and some names will be dropped off of it as I build my top 64 and then eventually my top 99. I recommend viewing it on dekstop or with the desktop only version on your mobile device as the ranking #'s don't show up on the mobile site.

2023 NHL Draft Prelim Rankings - Airtable

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It's never too early for a draft thread.
That's how I feel about tank threads...

belushi-but-no-snl.gif

:pout:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hard to say with D because at 16 they get sheltered in the CHL. You start to see them climb the charts as the season goes along but Lukas Dragievic out of Tri-City has to be the top ranked D in my mind

Reactions: Daximus and ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hard to say with D because at 16 they get sheltered in the CHL. You start to see them climb the charts as the season goes along but Lukas Dragievic out of Tri-City has to be the top ranked D in my mind

He's my #2 ranked D right now in a close cluster with Brzustewicz and Allen. Lindstein is my #1 right now but not by much.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I don't even have to say it, you already know. But I'll say it anyways. It's never to early for a draft thread.

When: June 2023
Where: TBD

This one could be a doozy and I think we may see some clear tanking by teams in order to get their hands on one of the top 3 projected players. This is one of those years where finishing last and losing the lottery might honestly not be that big of a deal. Let's kick things off with my preliminary top 10.

1. Connor Bedard
RC - 5'9 - 181 - Regina, WHL
Bedard is currently favoured to be the top prospect available for the 2023 draft and for good reason. This kid is electric. He has elite skating, vision, shooting, passing, puck handling and hockey IQ. The only real knock on him is he is on the smaller side at 5'9 but he may still show some growth between now and the draft and he has a strong base to work with. We'll see if he can battle it out with the #2 and #3 to ranked players and come out ahead. I know everyone has seen him play so I'll keep it short.

2. Matvei Michkov
RW/LW - 5'10 - 160 - St. Petersburg, KHL
Michkov is as exciting as they come for a winger prospect. Elite skating, stickhandling and shooting make him a threat every time he touches the puck. He can dance around defenders with ease and has a pro level shooting arsenal that will make NHL teams salivate at what he could be capable of. While slight of frame, Michkov could add a bit more strength to his game to really pop before the draft. Expect him to challenge Bedard every step of the way, but will the new Russian factor make teams bullish on taking him high?

3. Adam Fantilli
LC - 6'3 - 192 - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA
The number 3 challenger is also a doozy of a prospect and one that will surely make NHL GM's very excited. Blending size, speed, shooting ability, physicality and skill at a premium position with pro level size already. Fantilli will start the season playing for one of the top programs in the NCAA as well. With a good season under his belt he could surely challenge the top 2 players in this draft. He has every tool and the ideal size at the position that GM's covet this high in the draft. Although he is playing in the NCAA he is from Ontario.

4. Dalibor Dvorský
LC/LW – 6'1 – 190 – AIK, Allsvenskan
They must be putting something in the water over in Slovakia recently because they are turning out great talent. Already tearing up the Swedish U20 circuit as a 16 year old, Dvorsky has been building a strong international resume as well. At the Hlinka he tied Michkov for the tournament lead in goals with 8 in 5 games and helped his team win Silver and at the 2nd division U18's he helped his team take Gold and was named top player on his team. An okay skater with a great shot arsenal and NHL size already at 17 make Dvorsky an interesting scoring option for teams at the top of the draft. While I don't think he will challenge the top 3, he has shown improvement at every level and willingness to compete and learn and I don't think it's impossible that he upsets the balance at the top.

5. Leo Carlsson
LC/W – 6'3 – 185 – Örebro, SHL
Although he may not be my top ranked player playing out of Sweden, he is my top ranked Swedish born player. Yet another skilled center with size. Carlsson blends a power game with high end offensive creativity, passing and playmaking. His shot is okay but the best part of his game seems to be how well he can find opponents in stride with a solid pass, or threads the puck through the seam right to a players stick for an easy goal. He also brings some physicality and a solid two-way game with ideal size for the center position who also is capable of playing on both wings so he brings versatility as well. He's already got 35 SHL games under his belt and will look to start the season with Örebro in the SHL giving scouts an early look at a full season against pro level competition.

6. Brayden Yager
RC/RW – 6'0 – 161 – Moose Jaw, WHL
Having had the pleasure of watching Yager in person playing for my hometown team I may be a little bias here. But if we can put that aside for a second I'd like to tell you about the next great Brayden to come out of Little Chicago. Yager has a solid blend of elite skating, stickhandling and shooting abilities that make him an easy target to go high in this draft. Set a new record for goals by a 16 year old for Moose Jaw, breaking Theo Fleury's 39 year record. Also took home the Rookie of the Year award for the WHL. Although he lacks ideal size for the center position, he could stand to add some bulk to his frame to get stronger before the draft. Yager also brings a very solid and underated two-way game to the table much like the other Brayden to come out of MJ. While Bedard will certainly get all the hype for 2023, the Regina Pats and Moose Jaw Warriors intense rivalry will certainly make for some exciting games between the two players where they will surely go head to head in every game.

7. Charlie Stramel
RC/RW – 6'3 – 216 – Univ. Of Wisconsin, NCAA
My top ranked US born player coming into the 2023 draft is yet another big C/W in Charlie Stramel. A very big power forward who got some time in the U18 system of the NTDP this year. Stramel will start the season with Wisconsin in the NCAA where he will look to establish himself as a top 10 and possibly even top 5 challenger. Stramel is a physical beast and loves to be right in the thick of it at all times. A commanding net front presence who is very hard to knock off the puck, he also brings great skating and not just for his size. He's able to create separation off the rush and drop his shoulder to drive to the net with power.

8. Calum Ritchie
RC – 6'1 – 175 – Oshawa, OHL
The top challenger coming out of the OHL this season is yey another electrifying center in Calum Ritchie. Ritchie brings a solid shot arsenal to the table to go with his elite blend of speed, creativity and hockey IQ. Richtie already brings some physicality as well, which will only get better as he grows and adds more muscle to his 6'1 frame.

9. Zach Benson
LC/W – 5'10 – 150 – Winnipeg, WHL
Yet another high end forward coming out of the Winnipeg Ice system Benson had a great rookie season and then followed it up with an absolutely insane playoffs leading the Ice in points. Blending speed, hands, creativity, IQ, determination, shooting and playmaking into a solid little package Benson is one to watch for this coming season and is right in the Jets backyard. He will need to add some bulk to his frame in order to handle the more physical aspects of higher levels but he'll have plenty of time to develop that and it will be very hard for teams to pass on his high end skill despite his smaller frame.

10. Kasper Halttunen
RW – 6'3 – 192 – HIFK, Liiga U20
The top ranked Finnish player in my eyes. Halttunen is a big body physical winger who loves to get involved down low. He's strong on the puck, is a solid skater and owns a big shot that he can get off in traffic. He's not one to shy away from physical play and is no stranger to making some punishing hits in open ice or along the boards. For a big physical guy he also has some soft hands and likes to drive the net with his big frame.

Additionally I have my preliminary top 32 up on airtable for your viewing pleasure. It should be noted that the order of this list will likely change frequently up to the start of next season. Some names will be added and some names will be dropped off of it as I build my top 64 and then eventually my top 99. I recommend viewing it on dekstop or with the desktop only version on your mobile device as the ranking #'s don't show up on the mobile site.

2023 NHL Draft Prelim Rankings - Airtable
Interesting… the location of the draft hasn’t been determined yet? Wonder if they’ll choose Chicago for obvious reasons. #TankHardForBedard

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Interesting… the location of the draft hasn’t been determined yet? Wonder if they’ll choose Chicago for obvious reasons. #TankHardForBedard

They did Chicago in 2017 so I don't think they will go back there anytime soon. I could definitely see them going to the states as they usually don't go back to back in Canada.

Seattle seems like a prime destination. They are likely to pick high, it's a nice location to have the draft in for the first time and it's a good boost to the new org for the fans.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
They did Chicago in 2017 so I don't think they will go back there anytime soon. I could definitely see them going to the states as they usually don't go back to back in Canada.

Seattle seems like a prime destination. They are likely to pick high, it's a nice location to have the draft in for the first time and it's a good boost to the new org for the fans.
I’d drive to Seattle. 2 hours away.

Reactions: RabidOne

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
He's my #2 ranked D right now in a close cluster with Brzustewicz and Allen. Lindstein is my #1 right now but not by much.
I'm not all that sold on Brzustewicz personally. I'd have him fringe first. Cam Allen seems a little more intriguing to me, but I'm weary of small defensemen right now after last year being so high on Seamus Casey and Ty Nelson early. I'd have Dragicevik at the top for sure. Drew Fortescue, Aram Minnetian, Caden Price, Maxim Strbak, Mikhail Gulyayev are other guys I'll be keeping an eye on for the first round.

Love the rankings by the way. If there was one guy I'd have higher it would be Kasper Halttunen. I felt like at international U18 competitions this past year, guys like Carlsson and Fantilli were obviously elite, being of the proper birth year. Halttunen looked to me roughly as good as those two, yet he's almost a full year younger as a June birthday. He plays heavy, he plays skilled, and he plays fast. I think he could find his way into the top 5 conversation.

Reactions: ps241 and Daximus

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not all that sold on Brzustewicz personally. I'd have him fringe first. Cam Allen seems a little more intriguing to me, but I'm weary of small defensemen right now after last year being so high on Seamus Casey and Ty Nelson early. I'd have Dragicevik at the top for sure. Drew Fortescue, Aram Minnetian, Caden Price, Maxim Strbak, Mikhail Gulyayev are other guys I'll be keeping an eye on for the first round.

Love the rankings by the way. If there was one guy I'd have higher it would be Kasper Halttunen. I felt like at international U18 competitions this past year, guys like Carlsson and Fantilli were obviously elite, being of the proper birth year. Halttunen looked to me roughly as good as those two, yet he's almost a full year younger as a June birthday. He plays heavy, he plays skilled, and he plays fast. I think he could find his way into the top 5 conversation.

Yeah the D in this class just don't look at that amazing. I think there's already question marks on all of them early on. We'll see if any of them are able to take another step forward and fill in the gaps come draft day next year.

I really like Halttunen and it's pretty tough to rank that 4 to about 15 or so group of forwards. Lots of talent spread out over a bunch of leagues. I think it's going to be a really fun battle to watch play out over next year. The forward talent in this draft is deeeep.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Yeah the D in this class just don't look at that amazing. I think there's already question marks on all of them early on. We'll see if any of them are able to take another step forward and fill in the gaps come draft day next year.

I really like Halttunen and it's pretty tough to rank that 4 to about 15 or so group of forwards. Lots of talent spread out over a bunch of leagues. I think it's going to be a really fun battle to watch play out over next year. The forward talent in this draft is deeeep.

Well put. What I find interesting about this 2023 draft is, vs this past draft where there was a lot of small wingers at the top end, this year there's big, heavy forwards (Halttunen, Barlow, Musty, Wood) and a bunch of skilled Cs of at least 6' (Dvorak, Yager, Ritchie, Smith, Kalle Carlsson, Danielson), and most interesting of all - that handful of heavy centers in Carlsson, Fantilli and Stramel.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well put. What I find interesting about this 2023 draft is, vs this past draft where there was a lot of small wingers at the top end, this year there's big, heavy forwards (Halttunen, Barlow, Musty, Wood) and a bunch of skilled Cs of at least 6' (Dvorak, Yager, Ritchie, Smith, Kalle Carlsson, Danielson), and most interesting of all - that handful of heavy centers in Carlsson, Fantilli and Stramel.

Yeah it's a pretty stark contrast from last year. The only real smaller guy is the guy expected to go #1. Bedard being only 5'9 in a field of giants.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg

There is a Red/White scrimmage going on right now with players for the 2023 WJC in Halifax-Moncton. Links to the game(s) are on the right side once the link is clicked. A good remedy for some summer hockey blues.

Some prospects for the 2023 Draft obviously included here, including Adam Fantilli. He has really stood out so far in my viewings of the scrimmage. Such a smooth player.

The top five is sure looking special for next draft with guys like Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Benson, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Agar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad