Prospect Info: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He wants to sign with a contender. Does he need an already proven contender? If so he will need to give up a lot of money to sign with one because they are all fully cap committed, pretty much. Or is he willing to sign with a team ready to contend as soon as they get a vezina calibre goalie?

To me, the latter looks like it makes more sense for him but I have no idea how he would analyze the situation.

If the latter, Habs are on the cusp of contending with the addition of Helle and PLD. There are a couple of more teams that could be in a similar position. LAK don't need much more than a goalie. Same package to them. Of course, they don't have #5 OA so it is a different return. Without the futures to pay for Helle & Dubois, are they still on the cusp of contending after they pay us for those players and move out the cap to accommodate them? IDK.

With that package going to LAK lets shoot for the moon. Brandt Clarke + Vilardi + whatever cap dumps they want to send our way. Helle may not be worth this year's #5 but how about #8 from a couple of years ago?
How are the Habs close to contending? They have one of the worst D groups in the NHL. Don't think there is a chance in Hell, that Helly believes that is the now team he wants to play for. LA seem a little more likely and probably one of the golden ticket landing spots in terms of lifestyle. I also doubt any team makes a move for 2 big expensive pieces in the same trade, just too much cap space to navigate.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Last year was not near as strong a draft class as this year. Those numbers don't translate directly.

Mtl has plenty of options other than Michkov. Good chance Michkov goes before #5. But whether he does or not Mtl can still take Will Smith, Yager, Barlow, Dvorski or Leonard, just to name a few.

Slaf trending to bust? Hardly! What player busts in his 18 YO season?

That said, Dubois is still worth a lot. Too many Habs fans are assuming they can get him for nothing and then sign him to a team friendly contract too.
IMO it is a tough question on what PLD is worth, and I hope Chevy is able to figure it out. If you could package is first 1/2 of last season and convince another GM that is what you will see for 82 regular season games and the playoffs he is worth a hell of a lot. However the player has been wildly inconsistent in his career and has had some very bad stretches of play where he appears totally disengaged. He also has a couple huge red flag issues on quitting on teams. I just don't know if a team goes all in on him in trade currency especially at such a deep high end draft while having to give him his career big ticket contract to do so.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
How are the Habs close to contending? They have one of the worst D groups in the NHL. Don't think there is a chance in Hell, that Helly believes that is the now team he wants to play for. LA seem a little more likely and probably one of the golden ticket landing spots in terms of lifestyle. I also doubt any team makes a move for 2 big expensive pieces in the same trade, just too much cap space to navigate.
Habs are a mess - the trade that would help them is Helle not PLD... if Im Hughes, I offer 5th, Dach and Allen for Helle but I don't think Helle would sign there anyway...

I think Brossoit lands in Montreal with an overpayment...

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Michael Hrabal
What? And miss out on a chance to post this after a bad game? :laugh:

rabble-randy-marsh.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

They only get that close by getting the 2 things they need most in one shot, a top 6C + a top 5 in the league goalie.

I don't think their D corps is nearly that bad. I could be wrong.

We take back enough cap to make it work.

Rumour has LAK interested in PLD. I think they should be more interested in Helle myself. We have to take back cap from them too and that is just for them to take 1 of the 2. I'm not sold on the offers they could make other than Brandt Clarke, and I don't think he is on the table.

IMO it is a tough question on what PLD is worth, and I hope Chevy is able to figure it out. If you could package is first 1/2 of last season and convince another GM that is what you will see for 82 regular season games and the playoffs he is worth a hell of a lot. However the player has been wildly inconsistent in his career and has had some very bad stretches of play where he appears totally disengaged. He also has a couple huge red flag issues on quitting on teams. I just don't know if a team goes all in on him in trade currency especially at such a deep high end draft while having to give him his career big ticket contract to do so.

All true, but I go back to rental value as a start. They don't need to commit big money and term. Just start with rental value.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Pronman's latest mock has the Jets taking Moore at #18. I'd be fine with that.

Perhaps more intriguing, he has Benson falling to #14 (PIT).

In that case, Hellebuyck to PIT for #14 (Benson) and maybe Pickering is intriguing.
Moore is all over the draft predictions it seems. Id love to snag him, he seems a natural for this org. Add Benson and I'd be over the moon.

Reactions: MardyBum

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Pronman's latest mock has the Jets taking Moore at #18. I'd be fine with that.

Perhaps more intriguing, he has Benson falling to #14 (PIT).

In that case, Hellebuyck to PIT for #14 (Benson) and maybe Pickering is intriguing.

We were speaking about Benson earlier in the thread and this is the kind of scenario I am talking about.

Even if it doesn't involve Helle, per se, I'd be interested in paying the price to move up from #18 to a pick like #14 to snag Benson.

Obviously you need a team to play ball and be open to trading the pick, but I think the cost to do so would be well worth adding a blue-chip to your pipeline if you are the Jets.

Reactions: KingBogo

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What do people think of Quenton Musty? Good point production, good size, lots of PIMs so I assume decent physicality, he is ranked in our range by many prognosticators but I don't hear much buzz on him. Would he be a decent fit on the Jets, I like what I see on paper but obviously haven't seen him play.

Reactions: trebendan

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What do people think of Quenton Musty? Good point production, good size, lots of PIMs so I assume decent physicality, he is ranked in our range by many prognosticators but I don't hear much buzz on him. Would he be a decent fit on the Jets, I like what I see on paper but obviously haven't seen him play.
I like what i've read. but prefer the centres that look to be available in the middle of the first round.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Haven't been digging into the draft that much, but it certainly seems that adding another mid-1st pick could be fruitful.

One player that is really intriguing is Simashev. He's a LD, but can probably play both sides with his high-end skating and defensive play. If the Jets have a couple of picks in the top-20, I wouldn't mind if they take one of the good forwards and then take a swing with Simashev.

Reactions: ps241

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Any one of Yager, Danielson, Barlow, Ritchie or Musty would be great. Love to see us get a crack at at least two of these guys via a trade.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Final Bob McKenzie Rankings

This may be a year to trade down a bit. McKenzie has most of the guys I like ranked early in the second round. This includes Dragicevic, while I don't like him at 18 where we voted him in the board draft he's a lot more interesting to me in the 25-30 range, McKenzie has him at 35. Edstrom at 37 and Wahlberg at 40 would both interest me as well.

If we could trade back for 2 picks in the early second and get 2 of these three that would be a good draft for us IMO.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
32 Thoughts Podcast that dropped yesterday has an interesting interview with Chuck Fletcher and they spend some time going over the draft process of an NHL team. I very much recommend listening to it. He answers questions about how close teams stick to lists, passion picks, What is the cost of moving up or back in the 1st round, the Kaprizov draft story, heated arguments in the draft war rooms or draft table day of. A GM’s role at the draft table and in the war room etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This may be a year to trade down a bit. McKenzie has most of the guys I like ranked early in the second round. This includes Dragicevic, while I don't like him at 18 where we voted him in the board draft he's a lot more interesting to me in the 25-30 range, McKenzie has him at 35. Edstrom at 37 and Wahlberg at 40 would both interest me as well.

If we could trade back for 2 picks in the early second and get 2 of these three that would be a good draft for us IMO.

There is no team with 2 picks in the 30's. Closest would be DRW with 41,42, 43.

StL has 25 & 29. What would we need to add to 18 to get both of those?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
montreal has 31 and 37

I stand corrected.
That might be getting close to fair value for 18.
Not sure I would want to trade down. It is a worthwhile thought but I always lean to the higher draft picks.

I like the idea of adding to 18 to move up higher instead. Think of Helle + 18 to DRW for 9 + something, just for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad