Prospect Info: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LVCarson

Jul 19, 2022
You can rant all you want but PLD still isn’t worth a 5OA pick, especially in this draft. Why don’t you try to find a single Habs fan that agrees with you if you want to argue value?
Once again you avoided answering any of my questions. You should consider changing you name to KingAvoid.

So you can keep spewing your non-fact based opinion all you like, but it has as much value as the opinions of the hab fans that don’t agree. Zero. FYI…fan bases opinions do not determine the value of a player. If they did Chicago would trade Bedard for a couple of Montreals untouchables, like Hutson and Mailiux.

You sound like a closet hab fan. Dont tell me you are one of those closet Hab fans that wear their jets jersey except when the Habs are in town.

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
Once again you avoided answering any of my questions. You should consider changing you name to KingAvoid.

So you can keep spewing your non-fact based opinion all you like, but it has as much value as the opinions of the hab fans that don’t agree. Zero. FYI…fan bases opinions do not determine the value of a player. If they did Chicago would trade Bedard for a couple of Montreals untouchables, like Hutson and Mailiux.

You sound like a closet hab fan. Dont tell me you are one of those closet Hab fans that wear their jets jersey except when the Habs are in town.
Argumentum ad hominem means “argument to the person” in Latin and it is commonly referred to as ad hominem argument or personal attack. Ad hominem arguments are used in debates to refute an argument by attacking the character of the person making it, instead of the logic or premise of the argument itself

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
how do you feel about 18? ;)

One player I'm having a hard time pinning down is Danielson. I've seen him ranked in the top 10 and at the bottom of the 1st round. Is it all reconciling performance versus age for him?

The other thing I was wondering was that do players from Toronto have a lower opinion of Winnipeg than those from the US? If Chevy is increasingly concerned about finding character players that will be happy to have careers in Winnipeg, will that lead us away from the OHL? To Europe, Minnesota, and the Dub?

It's an interesting question. More likely that a southern ON kid has grown up with and is more aware of the regional rivalries / putdowns than someone from the US who isn't necessarily plugged into those convos.

OTOH, these are kids with a dream to deliver on. Maybe they're furiously scouring TripAdvisor to work out the precise contours of the paradise or hellscape they're being delivered into, but my guess is that they're also looking at opportunities and chatting with teammates, friends and agents who will have more detailed experience with the org, city, etc.

I do think that seeing examples of young players following a definite path to a successful pro career in an org i(Perfetti, Samberg, etc) is more helpful than a city's reputation for ace nightlife might be for an ambitious prospect. Not so much for a UFA with options, maybe.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It's an interesting question. More likely that a southern ON kid has grown up with and is more aware of the regional rivalries / putdowns than someone from the US who isn't necessarily plugged into those convos.

OTOH, these are kids with a dream to deliver on. Maybe they're furiously scouring TripAdvisor to work out the precise contours of the paradise or hellscape they're being delivered into, but my guess is that they're also looking at opportunities and chatting with teammates, friends and agents who will have more detailed experience with the org, city, etc.

I do think that seeing examples of young players following a definite path to a successful pro career in an org i(Perfetti, Samberg, etc) is more helpful than a city's reputation for ace nightlife might be for an ambitious prospect. Not so much for a UFA with options, maybe.
Between the city itself and all the drama (real or imagined) with the team that has been reported in the MSM, I doubt there is a single draft eligible player thinking, "Oh God, I hope I get drafted by Winnipeg. Please, please, let it be Winnipeg!"

The more likely reaction to being drafted by us (off camera, of course) will be...

rage-the-shining.gif

:laugh:

LVCarson

Jul 19, 2022
Argumentum ad hominem means “argument to the person” in Latin and it is commonly referred to as ad hominem argument or personal attack. Ad hominem arguments are used in debates to refute an argument by attacking the character of the person making it, instead of the logic or premise of the argument itself
Whoa giveza shit, in English means who gives a shit of what you attempt trying to say. There is no argument when one party states facts and asks questions and the second party doesn’t answer and replies with “Habs fans wouldn’t do that trade”. As I said, no fan base has ever made a NHL trade…ever so the reply may as well been in Latin because it doesn’t really matter.

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
Whoa giveza shit, in English means who gives a shit of what you attempt trying to say. There is no argument when one party states facts and asks questions and the second party doesn’t answer and replies with “Habs fans wouldn’t do that trade”. As I said, no fan base has ever made a NHL trade…ever so the reply may as well been in Latin because it doesn’t really matter.

Habs fans will undersell him and Jets fans will overvalue him. It's human nature. The real value will come out soon. This is all speculation and opinions. Not worth getting upset and insulting people over.

Edit: This is also the draft thread. Let's get back on topic. Only 8 days away.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
PLD isn't worth the 5OA in this draft. Teams in that position are building and want the cost control of a top player starting from the beginning of their ELC. onward. PLD has had an uneven trajectory and no team is going to fully mortgage the future on him. He will get something in the mid 1st round and a good but not great prospect, or maybe a young player once highly regarded that hasn't fully proven themselves. Hi isn't a goldmine waiting for a trade.

Yes. There are going to be some very high value prospects left at #5.

But a package of PLD + Helle would have more than #5 value - by a fair bit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Sorry but I’ve lost track of what you are even going on about.

Yes. There are going to be some very high value prospects left at #5.

But a package of PLD + Helle would have more than #5 value - by a fair bit.
I don’t think anyone drafting the top 5 is where Helly wants to sign with.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So you are saying Dach was worth 13OA, 66OA, and 83OA cause Montreal is still in the same boat as they were last year. Right now with 5OA Montreal has to go for Michkov, who may never play for them. If they don’t have the balls to pick a guy from the top tier of players, then they are looking at a player that is more of a reach that would be a calibre of Slaf who looks a bigger bust than what hab fans think Lafreniere is for NYR.

So it all depends on what risk you want to take. Michkov, a lower tier player who isn’t a guarantee or PLD. The only player to guarantee to play at a level that a known is PLD. I don’t see any player in their pipeline that is going to step up and make a difference for next year or for another 3-4 years. So they are stale for their growth. So for you to say he isn’t worth it is a joke. Debrinct was with a 7th and he is a winger. With your reasoning Kyle Connor isn’t worth anything either, or how about mcdavid or Mathew’s, cause they are more expensive.

For as much as Habs fans over rate their prospects that have never played a game in the league, some Jets fans under rate our own player, and you are definitely one of them that constantly does that.

Last year was not near as strong a draft class as this year. Those numbers don't translate directly.

Mtl has plenty of options other than Michkov. Good chance Michkov goes before #5. But whether he does or not Mtl can still take Will Smith, Yager, Barlow, Dvorski or Leonard, just to name a few.

Slaf trending to bust? Hardly! What player busts in his 18 YO season?

That said, Dubois is still worth a lot. Too many Habs fans are assuming they can get him for nothing and then sign him to a team friendly contract too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You didn’t answer my question but hey Matthews is a UFA so I guess I got your answer. We should offer our 1st, harkins and maybe a couple prospects cause I am sure they would be all over that. Maybe you want to throw out the uneven trajectory excuse which is a load of crap too.

I sure hope you are a car salesman cause if you are I am coming by tomorrow to offer you peanuts for that luxury SUV…cause you know gas is expensive, insurance and it’s only going to depreciate as soon as it is off the lot.

Lotta sarcasm and salt in your posts. We may disagree with other posters here, even quite strongly, but this is not the main boards. It is the Jets board and we are all Jets fans here. Every one of us wants what's best for the Jets.

PLD’s value is limited by team control. He has 1 more year and even that would be expensive. He is basically a pending UFA that we hope to get residual value from. He has also made it clear he wants to sign elsewhere. He is not worth anywhere near where you think he is.

OTOH, what would he be worth at the TD as a rental? Pretty high value I think. Add something to that. How much to add is influenced by those factors you are listing but it is not less than that.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Yager seems like a guy that could drop a bit to where the Jets are picking at 18 due to some size and skating concerns. Bigger C’s like Danielson and Ritchie might be gone by 18.

His character seems to scream TNSE to me and would be a nice addition if selected.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry but I’ve lost track of what you are even going on about.

I don’t think anyone drafting the top 5 is where Helly wants to sign with.

He wants to sign with a contender. Does he need an already proven contender? If so he will need to give up a lot of money to sign with one because they are all fully cap committed, pretty much. Or is he willing to sign with a team ready to contend as soon as they get a vezina calibre goalie?

To me, the latter looks like it makes more sense for him but I have no idea how he would analyze the situation.

If the latter, Habs are on the cusp of contending with the addition of Helle and PLD. There are a couple of more teams that could be in a similar position. LAK don't need much more than a goalie. Same package to them. Of course, they don't have #5 OA so it is a different return. Without the futures to pay for Helle & Dubois, are they still on the cusp of contending after they pay us for those players and move out the cap to accommodate them? IDK.

With that package going to LAK lets shoot for the moon. Brandt Clarke + Vilardi + whatever cap dumps they want to send our way. Helle may not be worth this year's #5 but how about #8 from a couple of years ago?

Reactions: trebendan

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Yager seems like a guy that could drop a bit to where the Jets are picking at 18 due to some size and skating concerns. Bigger C’s like Danielson and Ritchie might be gone by 18.

His character seems to scream TNSE to me and would be a nice addition if selected.

hoping for 1 of them. both western canadian kids with totally different skillsets but i'd be happy with either.

Reactions: James Lahey

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. I'd also consider Barlow or Ritchie or Wood as options.

Simashev is a wild-card that intrigues me, but perhaps not something that the Jets would look at.

Yes, Ritchie and Wood for certain.
I'm biased towards Cs and RHDs. Of course I would take a winger or LD if they were clearly the BPA, but in this year's class the available talent matches my bias too closely to justify deviating from it. Dragicevic is interesting.

With so many good players ranking close to one another there is bound to be a good one available at 18.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
A lot of posters saying who they would like to see picked but what about the opposite? Who ranked around our spot would people hate to the Jets select? Whose name being uttered will provoke this kind of response?

JROC1Te.gif

Reactions: macmaroon

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
A lot of posters saying who they would like to see picked but what about the opposite? Who ranked around our spot would people hate to the Jets select? Whose name being uttered will provoke this kind of response?

JROC1Te.gif

Anybody not born in Canada. With so many quality winners from the great white North likely to be available, it’s time to rebuild the dna of our draft table.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

JROC1Te.gif

Logan Stan---Oh wait wrong draft.

Kristian Versala.... damn, also wrong draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad