Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's believed that AVS wanted Sergachev at #10. So they had a dman ahead of Jost on their list.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think way too much is made of EJ laying on the ice to block passes. Most guys can't pull it off, but he's actually quite good at timing it. Sure there's a couple times where it hasn't worked, but you can say the same thing for every defensive play on odd man rushes and dangerous chances.

It just stands out way more in people's minds than if he stayed on his feet and let a pass go by him because of the way it looks. The vast majority of the time though, he actually neutralizes the play pretty well with that move.

It doesn't have anything to do with his IQ either. People have been claiming he has a low IQ since he broke into the league. Meanwhile he's just gotten better and better each year. This comes from his experience. Learning from experience and utilizing it on the fly in games involves using your IQ. Pulling that off and playing well in a #1 defenseman role means you're IQ is just fine.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He thinks 2 on 1's are so easy he lays down and takes a nap every time!

Barrie is the player that makes boneheaded plays that really shows his low IQ. A high risk offensive player that knows little in playing defence. He needs to be traded when his value is at his highest. Although, he plays behind EJ, he’ll likely demand a raise that’ll make him the highest paid player on the team.

EJ is the heart and soul of the team and many believe the true captain. He’s also showed commitment and signed a reasonable long term deal to stay with the AVs. A true 1D, by far plays the most TOI @ 25+ mins and has represented Team USA in multiple international tournaments.

Consider the player differences. EJ is rarely if ever mentioned in trade rumours. Not polarizing by fans to be traded. Plays against the toughest opponents anchoring the 1st line for 7 consecutive years. Plays the most TOI than any AVs player in every situation. Recognized “A” even though he’s always been the player spokesperson.

If EJ is so bad, why hasn’t Barrie supplanted him on the 1st line after playing 5.5 seasons? He’s the most important player after Mackinnon and so beloved, likely to retire an AV. Barrie’s legacy is the returning haul of players and prospects. His trade return will be a huge part of a potential powerhouse team that will spend the next decade with leader EJ as perennial challengers for the Cup.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So with all this goalie talk in other threads I wonder if there are high potential goalie prospects worth picking in the second round of the draft (paging @Gigantor The Goalie ). Sorry if this has been talked before but didn't see any talk about this subject in the last couple of pages in this thread. I also haven't seen any goalies listed in 1st round in mock drafts.

Of course this talk could be pointless because the management seems to like it's goalie drafting strategy..

2nd round targets as of this moment (for me) are: Jacob Ingham, Kevin Mandolese, Alexis Gravel, Justus Annunen, and Lukas Dostal (No Skarek named cause he's a late 1st rounder for me). The 3rd round goalies who could be taken in the 3rd round if a team really likes them: Keegan Karki, Jon Mor, Ivan Prosvetov, and Jake Kucharski.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Prosvetov is a kid I really like if the Avs want to go the risky/long-term route. Needs a TON of refinement, but the athleticism is there.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
2nd round targets as of this moment (for me) are: Jacob Ingham, Kevin Mandolese, Alexis Gravel, Justus Annunen, and Lukas Dostal (No Skarek named cause he's a late 1st rounder for me). The 3rd round goalies who could be taken in the 3rd round if a team really likes them: Keegan Karki, Jon Mor, Ivan Prosvetov, and Jake Kucharski.

Thanks fella! Maybe I'm just blind and have a bad memory but I can't recall that I've seen any list that has Skarek as a first round pick but I trust your evaluations on these goalies. So, lets hope Skarek drops to our 2nd round pick by a small miracle. He looks like one fine prospect judging by his numbers. I was hoping that Oettinger would had done that last summer but it was a pipe dream as Stars and Senators were pickinh before us.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Surprised Boqvist has more or less bumped Svechnikov. I've heard "generational talent" bandied about when it comes to Svechnikov.

If you're Buffalo and you end up with that 2nd-overall pick, who do you go for? They have obvious needs pretty much everywhere except center, but I think they've gotta get the player with the potential to help them out right away. That means Svech.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Thanks fella! Maybe I'm just blind and have a bad memory but I can't recall that I've seen any list that has Skarek as a first round pick but I trust your evaluations on these goalies. So, lets hope Skarek drops to our 2nd round pick by a small miracle. He looks like one fine prospect judging by his numbers. I was hoping that Oettinger would had done that last summer but it was a pipe dream as Stars and Senators were pickinh before us.

Skarek doesn't get the hype that Oettinger got in the public forum because he's over playing in the Czech league. All that matters though is what NHL teams think in the end.

Reactions: Murzu

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Surprised Boqvist has more or less bumped Svechnikov. I've heard "generational talent" bandied about when it comes to Svechnikov.

If you're Buffalo and you end up with that 2nd-overall pick, who do you go for? They have obvious needs pretty much everywhere except center, but I think they've gotta get the player with the potential to help them out right away. That means Svech.

Yeah unless they are for sure getting Dahlin... i wouldnt fault them for going an absolute goal scoring beast that could probably play now.
I mean they've been at the bottom of the league offensively for what seems like years now.

Jim Halpert

Dec 20, 2017
Canada
How would you guys rank last years top 10 with your top 10 rankings so far for 2018? Like if you were to rank them all in one 20 man ranking, where would everyone fall. I’m really excited for this draft and I’m interested to see what level of player the avs are expecting to get assuming they stay near where they are now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How would you guys rank last years top 10 with your top 10 rankings so far for 2018? Like if you were to rank them all in one 20 man ranking, where would everyone fall. I’m really excited for this draft and I’m interested to see what level of player the avs are expecting to get assuming they stay near where they are now.

The prospect rank thread elsewhere in this forum could probably tell you best, if you go back a little ways in that thread the previous year’s rankings are in there too

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
giphy.gif

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

Wrt Hepple's fantastic goalie startegy, the realistic question for you is; Who's your 4-6th round target of a Euro-goalie you haven't heard of yet?

Reactions: GBoeklen32

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Wrt Hepple's fantastic goalie startegy, the realistic question for you is; Who's your 4-6th round target of a Euro-goalie you haven't heard of yet?
David Hrenak Slovakia world junior team , plays NCAA St.Cloud St.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
HockeyProspect.com 2018 NHL Draft Rankings Top 62, December Edition - HockeyProspect.com | 2018 NHL Draft

Hockeyprospect have released their December ranking. Found this snippet real interesting:

We knew entering the season that this was not going to be one of the stronger drafts, but as we approach the fourth month of viewings, this draft appears to be weaker than we expected. HP’s Mark Edwards says NHL scouts are talking, “I can’t a recall a year since I’ve been doing this when the scouts spoke about a draft being weak as much as they have this year. Barely a day goes by in the rink that I don’t hear it from someone.

So for all the talk across hf about how strong this draft was supposed to be, it seems like people in the industry have the opposite opinion. I'm thinking the combination of no high-end centers and most of the highest ranked D's (Boqvist, Hughes, Smith) being fairly small is the main reason for the "weak draft" opinion.

Reactions: Balthazar

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We can only hope that, like everything else Sakic has tried that hasn't worked, he'll change course on the goalie draft strategy soon. The problem is, it's too late to draft ourselves out of this hole.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
“I can’t a recall a year since I’ve been doing this when the scouts spoke about a draft being weak as much as they have this year. Barely a day goes by in the rink that I don’t hear it from someone.

We were warned about this but no one was listening. This is against almost everything that was posted on this board in the last 6 months. Some were saying it was on par with 2015 when in reality it could be even weaker than 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad