Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
We were warned about this but no one was listening. This is against almost everything that was posted on this board in the last 6 months. Some were saying it was on par with 2015 when in reality it could be even weaker than 2017.

I did notice quite a few small offensive DMen, but the AVs can still draft some larger high players. It's still deeper than last year and if the pick is differed into next season, it'll be good as well.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Avs suck in even years anyway, so we're better off with it being a weaker one. Won't look as bad striking out.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
HockeyProspect.com 2018 NHL Draft Rankings Top 62, December Edition - HockeyProspect.com | 2018 NHL Draft

Hockeyprospect have released their December ranking. Found this snippet real interesting:

We knew entering the season that this was not going to be one of the stronger drafts, but as we approach the fourth month of viewings, this draft appears to be weaker than we expected. HP’s Mark Edwards says NHL scouts are talking, “I can’t a recall a year since I’ve been doing this when the scouts spoke about a draft being weak as much as they have this year. Barely a day goes by in the rink that I don’t hear it from someone.

So for all the talk across hf about how strong this draft was supposed to be, it seems like people in the industry have the opposite opinion. I'm thinking the combination of no high-end centers and most of the highest ranked D's (Boqvist, Hughes, Smith) being fairly small is the main reason for the "weak draft" opinion.

It seems to be a relatively weak draft after picks 15-20 in the first round. It seems particularly weak, as you mention, in terms of high end centers and even scoring wingers at the top portion of the draft. I do think that the draft has a lot of value in terms of available defensemen in the 10-20 pick range, which is the most likely area that the Avs will select, both with their own pick and with the Sens pick if they have it (at least in my opinion). It would not be the end of the world in my mind if the Avs come out of the 2018 draft with an additional couple of good defensive prospects.

If the Avs continue to flash their potential as they have recently, I wonder if at least some of the upcoming high picks will be used by Sakic to acquire an established NHL player.

I keep coming back to McKenzie's repeated comments in the 24-48 window before the Duchene trade, in which he said that the Avs are looking to compete (at least for the playoffs) in two years rather than 5 years and that any picks they acquire in trade could be used as pieces for another move. McKenzie has more inside knowledge than most, so I don't believe he was simply throwing out random speculation on that point. Sakic seemed to support this idea in recent comments as well, at least regarding the two year time frame. As an additional point that may tend to support the idea of a trade for an established NHLer, the Avs will have a large amount of cap space to work with this coming off season.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It seems to be a relatively weak draft after picks 15-20 in the first round. It seems particularly weak, as you mention, in terms of high end centers and even scoring wingers at the top portion of the draft. I do think that the draft has a lot of value in terms of available defensemen in the 10-20 pick range, which is the most likely area that the Avs will select, both with their own pick and with the Sens pick if they have it (at least in my opinion). It would not be the end of the world in my mind if the Avs come out of the 2018 draft with an additional couple of good defensive prospects.

If the Avs continue to flash their potential as they have recently, I wonder if at least some of the upcoming high picks will be used by Sakic to acquire an established NHL player.

I keep coming back to McKenzie's repeated comments in the 24-48 window before the Duchene trade, in which he said that the Avs are looking to compete (at least for the playoffs) in two years rather than 5 years and that any picks they acquire in trade could be used as pieces for another move. McKenzie has more inside knowledge than most, so I don't believe he was simply throwing out random speculation on that point. Sakic seemed to support this idea in recent comments as well, at least regarding the two year time frame. As an additional point that may tend to support the idea of a trade for an established NHLer, the Avs will have a large amount of cap space to work with this coming off season.

I like this draft better than last year.

AVs badly need a snipping Winger - Svechnikov, Zadina, Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi or LHD - Dahlin, Samuelsson, McIsaac or Miller. There is more than enough depth based on the lottery outcome to get either or maybe both if the Sens Pick is included this draft.

Last edited:

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
We were warned about this but no one was listening. This is against almost everything that was posted on this board in the last 6 months. Some were saying it was on par with 2015 when in reality it could be even weaker than 2017.
Didn’t 2012 act similarly...I feel like I remember hearing how strong it was when we traded for Varly then how weak it was by spring

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I admit I have been too busy to follow the draft much this month, but it seems like a really abrupt about-face for scouts to call this a weak draft all of a sudden. Did all these kids start lacing up their skates backward all of a sudden?

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I admit I have been too busy to follow the draft much this month, but it seems like a really abrupt about-face for scouts to call this a weak draft all of a sudden. Did all these kids start lacing up their skates backward all of a sudden?
Looks average after the top 10-15

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's no concensus top 10-15 so it can't look weak "after" that since #10 and #20 are pretty much interchangeable.

There's a somewhat concensus top 6 with Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Boqvist, Hughes. After that all hell broke loose, similar to 2017.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
There's no concensus top 10-15 so it can't look weak "after" that since #10 and #20 are pretty much interchangeable.

There's a somewhat concensus top 6 with Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Boqvist, Hughes. After that all hell broke loose, similar to 2017.
True but after u make a top 10 list anyone can go

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Agreed, but unlike the 2017 draft this one will still be really strong. I would argue that it being a crap-shoot after 10th overall has to do with players playing up to others and not in 2017 where players played down to others.

With that said I do have some concerns about its depth, it is looking a bit thin after the 4th or so round and the lack of quality depth in regards to goaltending. Some good prospects, but dime-a-dozens' after that.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Agreed, but unlike the 2017 draft this one will still be really strong. I would argue that it being a crap-shoot after 10th overall has to do with players playing up to others and not in 2017 where players played down to others.

With that said I do have some concerns about its depth, it is looking a bit thin after the 4th or so round and the lack of quality depth in regards to goaltending. Some good prospects, but dime-a-dozens' after that.
That's kind of the way I saw it. 2017 was ranked all over the place because nobody jumped out at you. 2018 is all over the place because EVERYBODY jumps out at you.

I think 2017 is going to go down in history as being a little better than it was expected to be, given that so many prospects are having strong D+1 years. Whether 2018 compares favorably to 2015 after how good that draft turns out won't be known for a while, but there's a TON of promise at the top end of this class.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The top end in 2018 is still really strong and IMO it is still an amazing draft for defensemen earlier on (way, way better than 2017 in that regard and IMO also probably ahead of 2016).

But yeah. Between Khovanov not having played a single game, Veleno and most of the other CHL forwards not taking the expected next step. the Finnish centers not really impressing in the Liiga so far, untimely injuries and guys like Merkley not really rounding out their games, it has lost some of its appeal.

Still looking like a really,really good draft, though. I hope the Avs take advantage of the depth of quality Ds early.
Especially if we don't get the Sens pick this season. Unless we pick at #2, I want one of these top Ds at all costs with our 1st rounder.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The top end for sure is going to be the best in a long time. Could even end up better than 2015 in the long run if Dahlin really is blueline McDavid and Svech, Zadina, and Hughes all hit their ceilings and don't turn into a Strome.

This was always going to be a weaker draft for forwards, even before the season kicked off, so maybe that's depressing the value in the eyes of some. But I think that's just because most drafts lately have been very forward (and especially center) heavy and those players tend to have more flash than the kind of two-way D that this draft is going to produce a lot of. To me, as somebody who salivates over players like E. Bouchard, Miller, and Wilde, this draft still looks awesome, but if you value different things the draft will probably look different to you.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
At this point, I'll actually be pretty pissed if we reach for a Dman in this draft.

We need another impact forward more then another impact Dman. Especially with how Makar is looking right now for Team Canada, if anyone was doubting the skill and upside in his game they cant be doubting it anymore.

Between Girard, Makar, Barrie, EJ, Zadorov, Timmins, etc. etc. this team is Defense deprived like it was 8 months ago. In fact it's a real strength of this team now.

We need another impact forward who can take some of the load off that top line and provide offense on the regular. Zadina is becoming my top choice out of this draft assuming we dont get #1 or #2. Him on the LW for that 2nd line would be amazing, with Compher centering him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We need both; that's why I'm still hoping Ottawa gets it's s*** together and we can pick one of Svech/Zadina/Tkachuk with our pick and get a kid like McIsaac or Miller with Ottawa's.
Agreed, that's the ideal outcome.

My problem is that forcing a forward pick in this draft is just as dumb as forcing a D pick in the last draft. You're just more likely to strike out if you go against the grain of what's abundantly available. If we were going to force a forward pick, last year was the year to do it, because we could have ended up with Pettersson, Mittelstadt, or Glass. Now, unless we can snag Zadina or Wahlstrom (barring a lottery pick or Ottawa ceasing to suck), I would be more happy to draft Bouchard and trade away Timmins for a good forward prospect than I would be to reach for Kupari with Bouchard still on the board (just as an example).

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
We need both; that's why I'm still hoping Ottawa gets it's s*** together and we can pick one of Svech/Zadina/Tkachuk with our pick and get a kid like McIsaac or Miller with Ottawa's.

Sens are not likely to get out of their disastrous tailspin, so expect the pick to be next year.

If the AVs can get either Zadina/Wahlstrom/McIsaac/Miller/Samuelson this would a good draft.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

That would be a dream omg, then we can start thinking goalie for 19

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sens are not likely to get out of their disastrous tailspin, so expect the pick to be next year.

If the AVs can get either Zadina/Wahlstrom/McIsaac/Miller/Samuelson this would a good draft.

All they need is for Karlsson to look like Karlsson again and they'll be set for their traditional second half run.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Y'all keep in mind that we aren't picking top 6 unless we win the lottery.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Y'all keep in mind that we aren't picking top 6 unless we win the lottery.

That's not accurate at all... I dont think people realize how much of the season is left to be played out and how easy it is for a team to rise or fall from the basement right now...

Outside of Arizona and Buffalo, pretty much every spot right up through the standings are up for grabs right now. Avs could very easily end up 29th overall at years end. And the Sens could still easily be a playoff team by years end.

Our pick right now is 8th overall. It literally just takes 1 3-4 game losing streak and it's back in the Top 5. We're 2 points up on DET/Florida, and tied with Vancouver.

And Ottawa is 3rd last in the league right now, but they've also played the least amount of games in the league right now. A 3-4 game winning streak for them and all of a sudden they jump ahead of 4-5 teams.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's not accurate at all... I dont think people realize how much of the season is left to be played out and how easy it is for a team to rise or fall from the basement right now...

Outside of Arizona and Buffalo, pretty much every spot right up through the standings are up for grabs right now. Avs could very easily end up 29th overall at years end. And the Sens could still easily be a playoff team by years end.

Our pick right now is 8th overall. It literally just takes 1 3-4 game losing streak and it's back in the Top 5. We're 2 points up on DET/Florida, and tied with Vancouver.

And Ottawa is 3rd last in the league right now, but they've also played the least amount of games in the league right now. A 3-4 game winning streak for them and all of a sudden they jump ahead of 4-5 teams.

Did you already forget that we picked 4th last year and finished dead last? If you want a top 6 pick you need to finish bottom 3 or win the lottery. AVS are too good to finish bottom 3 so my statement was pretty damn accurate. :)

PS: I know that IF a bottom 3 team wins the lottery it changes things a little but there's no guarantee, as seen last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad