Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So to recapitulate.

To get a top 6 pick we must either:

A) Win the lottery
B) Finish bottom 3
C) Finish 4th AND have a bottom 3 team win a lottery pick
D) Finish 5th AND have TWO bottom 3 teams win a lottery pick
E) Finish 6th AND have THREE bottom 3 teams win a lottery pick

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Ottawa always has an end of the year surge, I still think we'll get their pick this year.

I agree the Sens always have an end of the year surge and they play in the easiest division. So it's possible they finish outside the Top 10, but they are really bad...

:help:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Did you already forget that we picked 4th last year and finished dead last? If you want a top 6 pick you need to finish bottom 3 or win the lottery. AVS are too good to finish bottom 3 so my statement was pretty damn accurate. :)

PS: I know that IF a bottom 3 team wins the lottery it changes things a little but there's no guarantee, as seen last year.

The probability of what happened last year happening again this year is extremely low.

Last year the bottom 1, 2, and 3 teams all lost the lottery. It's extremely unlikely.

If the Avs finished 6th last, there'd be a very high probability that we would pick Top 6. The chances of a team winning the lottery below 6th last is quite low. Sure it's possible, but it's unlikely.

Reactions: McMetal

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
How will be the draft 2019? I heard a good for forward and especially center.
Is it true?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Here a prospect list for the 2019 Draft.

Maybe the AVs should get the 2019 Sens pick(unprotected). Lots of good sized RW and DMen which the AVs need.

19 names for the 2019 NHL Draft - Article - TSN
I like Button, but that list is utter pure trash (I disagree with every single selection except Hughes). Nolan Foote is quite easily a top 10 player with the potential to slip into the top 3. Mutala also is a top 15 player for me. Caufield has top 3 talent as well, but hard for the smaller guys to get there.

He doesn't even have Alex Turcotte in his top 19. That is mindblowing dumb and inept by Button.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I like Button, but that list is utter pure trash (I disagree with every single selection except Hughes). Nolan Foote is quite easily a top 10 player with the potential to slip into the top 3. Mutala also is a top 15 player as well. Caufield has top 3 talent as well, but hard for the smaller guys to get there.

I find it funny how Button is always criticized for his rankings yet he's always #1 when you look back year after year.

Look at his final mock draft of 2015 for example. That top 10 is crazy accurate.

NHL Mock Draft: Button's first round picks - Article - TSN

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I find it funny how Button is always criticized for his rankings yet he's always #1 when you look back year after year.

Look at his final mock draft of 2015 for example. That top 10 is crazy accurate.

NHL Mock Draft: Button's first round picks - Article - TSN
Like I said I like Button and I think he gets hated too much on this site, but it was better not to make a list because that very early preliminary was most definitely the worst work I've read by him.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I like Button, but that list is utter pure trash (I disagree with every single selection except Hughes). Nolan Foote is quite easily a top 10 player with the potential to slip into the top 3. Mutala also is a top 15 player as well. Caufield has top 3 talent as well, but hard for the smaller guys to get there.

He doesn't even have Alex Turcotte in his top 19. That is mindblowing dumb and inept by Button.

This is just for discussion purposes involving the Sens offering the 2018 vs 2019 Draft Pick.

I just posted as being the most extensive research list available of 2019 prospects. Still too far away to judge the players and their rankings.

So I agree, the order might be trash, but the list is a good basis of what could be available after next season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Extremely small sample size, but FC has Martin Kaut at 56th overall, if he continues this strong play at the WJC perhaps more scouts will focus on him in the future once he goes back to his domestic club. Would be a really good 2nd round option for us, he's a right winger as well.

E: Had three primary assists today versus Russia, while being probably the third best forward after Chytil and Necas (just a head of Zadina).

Last edited:

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Like I said I like Button and I think he gets hated too much on this site, but it was better not to make a list because that very early preliminary was most definitely the worst work I've read by him.
Button is a total dink

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
So to recapitulate.

To get a top 6 pick we must either:

A) Win the lottery
B) Finish bottom 3
C) Finish 4th AND have a bottom 3 team win a lottery pick
D) Finish 5th AND have TWO bottom 3 teams win a lottery pick
E) Finish 6th AND have THREE bottom 3 teams win a lottery pick

With D) any two in the top 4 and E) any 3 in the top 5.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Extremely small sample size, but FC has Martin Kaut at 56th overall, if he continues this strong play at the WJC perhaps more scouts will focus on him in the future once he goes back to his domestic club. Would be a really good 2nd round option for us, he's a right winger as well.

E: Had three primary assists today versus Russia, while being probably the third best forward after Chytil and Necas (just a head of Zadina).

Kaut is a DAMN good player. I'll be shocked if he makes it past the first round, his name has been popping up a lot around people I know.

Reactions: S E P H

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
To be honest haha my trust in prospects goes Bobby Mac, SEPH and Hench tied, .... ... Craig button after the young fella at the grocery store. He also reminds me of someone off goof troop kind of bugs me. He knows a little more than Eklund and O dog maybe.

Growing up I always felt like he had something against the Avs watching him on SC. Can't remember but a few comments and I've never liked him since lol.

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
To be honest haha my trust in prospects goes Bobby Mac, SEPH and Hench tied, .... ... Craig button after the young fella at the grocery store. He also reminds me of someone off goof troop kind of bugs me. He knows a little more than Eklund and O dog maybe.

Growing up I always felt like he had something against the Avs watching him on SC. Can't remember but a few comments and I've never liked him since lol.

Which grocery store kid? The one who broke the Varly-signing? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I wonder why you and so many others have so much against Button?
Is it because his rankings are never like the consensus crap, where moving a player one to three spots up or down will create havoc amongst the armchair scouts? It's almost like he actually watches a lot of games, form his own opinions and, oh my god!, voices said opinion no matter what the above mentioned consensus is. Just like a scout should do.

Quite the difference from for instance FC which consistently have rankings that resemble most rankings found around these parts so much you feel you've seen the same rankings plenty of times when they come out.

I respect Button and his rankings a lot, because of his history working in the NHL, that he has the balls to publicize rankings that always go against the grain in one way or another and because someone like Mark Edwards have said Button is one of the very few scouts or people who call themselves that who actually go to the rinks and watch a whole hell of a lot of games.

Much the same reasons why I respect Kyle Woodlief and Redline and always make sure to get a copy of their rankings and reports before the draft.

Almost every single time someone offers the response to Button (or Redline) the same way you did, the reasoning seems to be that his rankings are "all over the place", ergo they're "crap", because they're not at all like the other rankings out there and because most all other rankings are so close to each other, they must be the be all end all.

Sigh, I wish the rankings of some NHL teams had been publicized just to see the reaction from all the armchair scouts. Some have actually leaked, like Vancouvers one year (then again it was Vancouver so everybody just lol'd) but one can get a lot of info through snippets here and there. The best ever behind the scenes draft video was the St Louis 2007 draft, where a short commentary somewhere in there was that they got seven or eight guys ranked in the top 35-40 on their list (been a long time, hard to remember the details).
Then again, that scouting team only featured slugs like Kekalainen and Armstrong....

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad