Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
So now Nylander can't even be used because it was 3 years ago? In three short years the league has changed that much? What about Eriksson-Ek who was drafted 2 years ago? Is that too long as well? E-Ek, btw, has produced more in the AHL (ppg) than SHL, post draft. Andersson and Boqvist were drafted this year. We can compare them, yes? They are no where near Pettersson's production. Andersson was even a top10 pick. Why are they not even close to a ppg if it's so easy to score in that league?

As for my theory, obviously you are missing the point. You can only look at the players in the league. It's harder for someone in the SHL to score a ppg in the SHL than it is for someone in the AHL to score a ppg in the AHL. That's not a theory. That's a fact.

You saying so and so would produce more in the SHL than AHL doesn't prove anything. That's just an assumption based on your opinion that you are trying to prove in the first place. Many players do better in the SHL. Many players do better in the AHL.

And don't even try and spin the NHL into this, unless you think the AHL is comparible to the NHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah they are a lot better and I've seen them play, they still have a long way to go.

If Hepple thought Pettersson was the bpa over Heiskanen y'all would have lost your damn minds. Lot of revisionist history going on here.
Not really, because either Pettersson or Heiskanen would have been good choices. What Avs did wrong was select Jost when there were clearly other substantial defenders available such as McAvoy/Chychrun and grabbed Pettersson in last years draft. Instead we have Jost and Makar who both have limitations to their game or have wildcards.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Not really, because either Pettersson or Heiskanen would have been good choices. What Avs did wrong was select Jost when there were clearly other substantial defenders available such as McAvoy/Chychrun and grabbed Pettersson in last years draft. Instead we have Jost and Makar who both have limitations to their game or have wildcards.

I will give you Chychrun, as he was in the convo most of the year for a 10+ pick. But McAvoy is pure revisionist...he was nowhere near. His highest ranking of any of the services was 9, which brought his average down to 17.2.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I will give you Chychrun, as he was in the convo most of the year for a 10+ pick. But McAvoy is pure revisionist...he was nowhere near. His highest ranking of any of the services was 9, which brought his average down to 17.2.
Based off of the lists you're going through, McAvoy was 14th in my final list and was absolutely in there at #10 for me personally.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

And yet Henchy was on here saying he was his favorite dman in that draft before it came about.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Based off of the lists you're going through, McAvoy was 14th in my final list and was absolutely in there at #10 for me personally.

If he was 14th in your list, how was he your pick for #10? Or are you saying he would have been in the conversation for 10th because he was #14 for you...which I could see. And as I recall, you had Jost ahead of McAvoy, anyhow, so the point is moot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If he was 14th in your list, how was he your pick for #10? Or are you saying he would have been in the conversation for 10th because he was #14 for you...which I could see. And as I recall, you had Jost ahead of McAvoy, anyhow, so the point is moot.
Yes in the conservation, players between 9th to 15th or so were very close together. That doesn't mean anything though as you mentioned, I really like Jost as a player which is why he was higher, but still McAvoy was probably the correct pick there with Pettersson in 2017 as said before.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

And yet Henchy was on here saying he was his favorite dman in that draft before it came about.

Yeah there were a few of us around here looking at McAvoy at that spot. I personally wanted Chychrun, McAvoy, then Brown. That was more due to wanting a defender so badly, and/or wanting a big two way center as well. I didn't really care about BPA, but those guys were all close enough that I think it would of been just fine to draft for need.

McAvoy was also the best RHD in the draft. So again value wise based on the set of players available no one in that range should of been a stretch.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yes in the conservation, players between 9th to 15th or so were very close together. That doesn't mean anything though as you mentioned, I really like Jost as a player which is why he was higher, but still McAvoy was probably the correct pick there with Pettersson in 2017 as said before.
While you are probably correct there, it's still revisionist to say that the subsequent draft should have played a role in what we did in 2016. As if anybody knew that we would be both bottom feeders and that Pettersson would be so good.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
While you are probably correct there, it's still revisionist to say that the subsequent draft should have played a role in what we did in 2016. As if anybody knew that we would be both bottom feeders and that Pettersson would be so good.

Correct, no way to know what kind of player the Avs would be able to pick in 2017, at the 2016 draft. The expectation would have been later than 10th, so maybe they were looking at Cal Foote to be a target at that point.

To be fair, though, there were some folks that did think Pettersson would be that good. Now whether they thoguht that prior to the 2016 draft, I would be surprised. But by the 2017 draft, he was #3 on some lists (SI at least).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
McAvoy was my #3D in that draft, but a guy who I thought would be either the best or second best long term (between him and Chychrun). I wouldn't have batted a single eye drafting him at 10... I actually would have been thrilled.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
So with all this goalie talk in other threads I wonder if there are high potential goalie prospects worth picking in the second round of the draft (paging @Gigantor The Goalie ). Sorry if this has been talked before but didn't see any talk about this subject in the last couple of pages in this thread. I also haven't seen any goalies listed in 1st round in mock drafts.

Of course this talk could be pointless because the management seems to like it's goalie drafting strategy..

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The AVS put a lot of weight into pre-draft interviews and both Jost and Makar did very well there.

I disagree with Pettersson over Makar but agree that it should have been Chychrun instead of Jost.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The AVS put a lot of weight into pre-draft interviews and both Jost and Makar did very well there.

I disagree with Pettersson over Makar but agree that it should have been Chychrun instead of Jost.

I agree Chychrun over Jost.

AVs still need a LHD with size. Has all the skills, but his hockey IQ is his problem. Can this be fixed is the concern? Jost has the IQ, but lacks the size.

Not worried about Makar and his size. Heiskanen love affair is separated by 1” taller and 15/20 lbs lighter than Makar. A boom or bust pick, if he develops a tremendous asset that is not available in a trade, but Sakic has also protected himself with Girard/Timmins. He was the right pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Chychrun's IQ is plenty fine... the concerns there were FAR overblown. He won't have elite IQ, but he is above average in that area. Better than EJ by a good margin... and is athletically like EJ was pre ACL.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Pure revisionist history but I would killlllll to have McAvoy on this team now, and it sucks that we missed on him for Jost. I think McAvoy is going to be the 3rd best player from the draft behind Matthews and Laine, and could give Laine a run for his money at #2. He has #1 franchise defensemen written all over him.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

I'm confused. Are you saying Pettersson being available in 2017 should have effected the 2016 draft for the Avs? That's not how time works.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm confused. Are you saying Pettersson being available in 2017 should have effected the 2016 draft for the Avs? That's not how time works.
No, what he's saying is that in 2016 the Avs should have selected McAvoy instead of Jost. Given that McAvoy is a RHD and the Avs selected Makar, a RHD, in 2017, it would have opened up the possibility to for the Avs to select Pettersson instead of Makar because we would have had that high-end RHD prospect in-tow from the previous draft.

Reactions: S E P H

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Someday we should do an All-Players-the-Avs-should've-taken-in-the-draft-instead-of-the-guys-they-actually-got lineup. :laugh:
Too bad they didn't draft a little better between 2010 and now, because if they did this could be the team now. :sarcasm:

Gaudreau Kuznetsov Kucherov
Arvidsson Scheifele Pastrnak
Palat Compher Stone
Zucker Shaw Rantanen
Gallagher
Donskoi

Klingberg Jones
Manson Parayko
MacAvoy Pesce
Girard

Andersen
Saros

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Chychrun's IQ is plenty fine... the concerns there were FAR overblown. He won't have elite IQ, but he is above average in that area. Better than EJ by a good margin... and is athletically like EJ was pre ACL.

I agree his IQ was overblown, but just mentioning why he dropped and not to avoid selecting. AVs should have definitely drafted him instead of Jost. He would have been a perfect fit, desperate need is still a LHD with size or Sniping Winger. Selecting Jost was the least of their needs.

EJ has a very high IQ, same with Girard. I’m more concerned about Zadorov and Barrie. Anyways, the team has Jost and hope for the best.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Too bad they didn't draft a little better between 2010 and now, because if they did this could be the team now. :sarcasm:

Gaudreau Kuznetsov Kucherov
Arvidsson Scheifele Pastrnak
Palat Compher Stone
Zucker Shaw Rantanen
Gallagher
Donskoi

Klingberg Jones
Manson Parayko
MacAvoy Pesce
Girard

Andersen
Saros

You f***in' guy :mad:

Reactions: UncleRisto

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I would not agree that EJ has a high IQ. A high IQ player wouldn’t flop on the ice like a beached whale at every opportunity.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I agree his IQ was overblown, but just mentioning why he dropped and not to avoid selecting. AVs should have definitely drafted him instead of Jost. He would have been a perfect fit, desperate need is still a LHD with size or Sniping Winger. Selecting Jost was the least of their needs.

EJ has a very high IQ, same with Girard. I’m more concerned about Zadorov and Barrie. Anyways, the team has Jost and hope for the best.
We needed a 2nd line c as well or knew we were gonna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad