Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I really want a strong character guy that has a great V02 test, even if hes ranked 120th by the scouts. Get your guy even if its at 21 and you could wait 4 more rounds, you just never know.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I would do this if Buffalo took on Boedker as part of the deal with no salary coming back to SJ. Boedker would be a nice fit in the Sabres top nine too given their lack of wingers. He can still contribute but we can better utilize that cap space elsewhere. Something like 21st overall + Mikkel Boedker for SJ's 2019 1st + MIN's 2018 4th round pick could work, at least imo.

Assuming a Paul Martin buyout the Sharks would then have about $22mil under an $80mil cap to spend on Tavares/Kovalchuk, Thornton, Hertl, Tierney and a potential upgrade on defense. More than doable to get Tavares at 12, Hertl at 5, Thornton at 3 and Tierney at 2 with the additional flexibility of moving Karlsson for even more wiggle room.

Whats the book on Boedker? Two years left on a 3M AAV. Speedy winger, plays either side, good on the passing side, doesnt really play D but can forecheck due to speed. Did I miss anything?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Whats the book on Boedker? Two years left on a 3M AAV. Speedy winger, plays either side, good on the passing side, doesnt really play D but can forecheck due to speed. Did I miss anything?

He’s actually got a 4M AAV but a 3M salary in actual dollars. He plays defense just fine; he was on the ice for the Sharks shutdown line against Vegas and played mostly d-zone starts against William Karlsson’s line and they did fine. He’s not elite defensively by any stretch but he’s hardly a liability.

He will be a pretty good addition for whatever team gets him. Somebody will get him for cheap due to the Sharks’ cap situation and his poor numbers in 2016-2017 and they will be ecstatic to add him.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA

Effort can wane at times but the wheels are still there, he's still on the right side of 30 (and will be for the bulk of the remaining contract), he can play either wing but he's more effective making plays and carrying the puck on his off wing (RW) than his strong side. Needs the right combination of linemates to be effective. Has a history of high-end power play production from his Arizona days but never really cracked the top unit here. $4mil AAV but he's only owed $3mil/yr for the final two years of his deal. Good middle six skill guy, tough to find better value in this upcoming free agent class imo. Sharks just need all the cap space they can get if they're going after a big fish.

The goal that starts 16 seconds into this video is Boedker at his best. Unfortunately he doesn't exactly do this on a regular basis, a lot of which in fairness is because he wasn't consistently put in a position to by our coaching staff:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I just read Jonathan Willis’ article in the Athletic about ranking the 2018 draft prospects based on their statistical performance and it’s fascinating. I know I can’t post the entirety of the article but it certainly provided a lot of good info on some guys I was on the fence about.

Here’s the basis of the model

Given those powerful trends, we put together a model for the 2018 draft, one which weighed player performance by age and scoring (as well as a few other statistics, in leagues where those numbers were available, though in most cases those numbers are too new to be certain of their predictive value).
The model is based on how other players at the same levels performed a) in their draft year and then b) through their age-25 season.

Merkley obviously was way up there, and so was Ty Smith. Sandin, Lundestron and Kaut also were really high but in a tier behind Merkley and Smith. Kravtsov was listed as top 10 darkhorse, and his main comparable from the model is Kuznetsov. It’s a long and thorough article that I recommend if you have the time and interest to check out.

Edit: For LS only:
Ranking 2018 NHL draft prospects based on their statistical performance Ranking 2018 NHL draft prospects based on their statistical...

Last edited:
Reactions: Friday

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I like that Denisenko-Kaut-Farabee-Bokk cohort from 15-18. I’d be happy with any of those players. Insane to me that Jake Wise is ranked in the 50’s though. I’d be fine with him at 21.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
He’s actually got a 4M AAV but a 3M salary in actual dollars. He plays defense just fine; he was on the ice for the Sharks shutdown line against Vegas and played mostly d-zone starts against William Karlsson’s line and they did fine. He’s not elite defensively by any stretch but he’s hardly a liability.
I know this to be true, but him failing to get the puck out in Game 5 against Vegas, leading to Neal's goal late late in the 1st, really lost us that game, and was a huge factor in that series

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I know this to be true, but him failing to get the puck out in Game 5 against Vegas, leading to Neal's goal late late in the 1st, really lost us that game, and was a huge factor in that series

That was a 5-3 game. The first goal by the team with 5 didn’t win or lose anybody the game. The Sharks didn’t have to come out flat in the 2nd and DeBoer didn’t have to play Dylan f***ing DeMelo as the 6th man when they were looking to be in the middle of the greatest comeback in NHL history.

If there is one person that you can really say “cost us that game”, it’s Dylan DeMelo with his brain dead giveaway when we had that 6-on-5.

Reactions: Maladroit

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA

I'm no Boedker fan but his turnover was like 25 seconds before the goal was scored. Pinning that goal and loss on him is ridiculous.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm no Boedker fan but his turnover was like 25 seconds before the goal was scored. Pinning that goal and loss on him is ridiculous.

I do think Boedker made a poor play there. But if there is one goal where you can look at one player and say that they were 100% responsible for it, it was Vegas’ 3rd goal, scored by Erik Haula, which is 100% entirely on Martin Jones.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I like that Denisenko-Kaut-Farabee-Bokk cohort from 15-18. I’d be happy with any of those players. Insane to me that Jake Wise is ranked in the 50’s though. I’d be fine with him at 21.

Bokk seems like a major project while DW seems to go for the more NHL-ready prospects. I'm a huge Denisenko fan, so I hope that DW grabs him if he's available.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Would you guys consider trading your 2018 1st for your 2019 1st that Buffalo pick got in the E Kane deal?

Absolutely not. That would be akin to saying “I think the Sharks will be worse next year than this year.” No GM would do that.

Never mind the fact that the further out a draft pick is, the less valuable it is.

@SJSharks39 I think you were the one high on Tychonick? What do you think about his supposed character issues? He was ranked 50th in Bob’s list, which doesn’t exactly scream “first rounder” to me.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
well, useless conversation at this point, but the Donskoi goal in Game 3 with 6 seconds left in the 3rd period was a huge momentum boost. That helped propel the win. @JoeThorntonsRooster , you say we didnt have to come out flat in the 2nd period of Game 5, but i would bet that if Neal doesnt score, Sharks have energy having kept Vegas off the scoresheet in the first period at home (something we obviously struggled with).

IDK guys, that was a huge goal to give up, and 100% would have been avoided if Boedker got the puck out. I'm a winger, and if that were me, i would feel wholly responsible for that goal.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Absolutely not. That would be akin to saying “I think the Sharks will be worse next year than this year.” No GM would do that.

Never mind the fact that the further out a draft pick is, the less valuable it is.

@SJSharks39 I think you were the one high on Tychonick? What do you think about his supposed character issues? He was ranked 50th in Bob’s list, which doesn’t exactly scream “first rounder” to me.
To be honest, I don’t really know anything about his character issues. The main issues that I’ve seen with him is the league he plays in.

Honestly everything that I’ve seen about his off ice issues are the same as Subban’s off ice issues. Big personality that some might take offense too. There’s an interview he did with The Athletic that I haven’t been able to read that point at his issues.

Last edited:

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014

Tychonick has an attitude problem?

Who said that? I would love read more about it.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Tychonick has an attitude problem?

Who said that? I would love read more about it.

Supposedly, yes. I haven’t read the Athletic article so I don’t know what the deal is, but that combined with him coming in at 50th on McKenzie’s poll don’t exactly make me want him at 21st.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Supposedly, yes. I haven’t read the Athletic article so I don’t know what the deal is, but that combined with him coming in at 50th on McKenzie’s poll don’t exactly make me want him at 21st.
Strange...........

IMO Playing in the BCHL, is the reason why Tychonick is so underrated in Mckenzie or Craig Button's list. His play speaks for himself.

Reactions: Gecklund

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Strange...........

IMO Playing in the BCHL, is the reason why Tychonick is so underrated in Mckenzie or Craig Button's list. His play speaks for himself.

Jost and Fabbro weren’t underrated. Neither was Cholowski.

You’re really going to have to sell me on this player. What about his play “speaks for itself”?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yep this is the only thing that I have seen on his character issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad