Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Tychonick has an attitude problem?

Who said that? I would love read more about it.
The Athletic article was by Scott Wheeler from June 3rd. It was an interview at the combine.

Couple of quotes he made that may raise eyebrows in the staid hockey world (normally I'm loathe to post paid-content):

In Buffalo, Tychonick met with 24 of the league's 31 teams head on, knowing it's an approach that may have rubbed some the wrong way.
"It's their job to like me," he said.
"I'm never reading the room. They're going to do the facial expression that they want. I'm not going in there and trying to read what they think about me. I'm just going to be the best person that I can be in that meeting."
That would be the most controversial thing he said in the whole piece. He really comes off as high energy and as a young man that knows what he wants. He details his decision to go Jr. A and then to North Dakota vs. playing in the WHL, which I thought was very interesting. Also, talks about how important it is the teams know the real him, rather than being surprised down the road once exposed to his personality.

Taking him at 21 seems like a bit of a reach to me, but dropping back to 25-ish and picking up another pick (maybe an added second from a team in love with someone at 21) could be possible if they like this player. I've seen his buddy Jacob Bernard-Docker play a few times, and I really like his game, but he's more of a steady player vs. what's indicated about Tychonick.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Athletic article was by Scott Wheeler from June 3rd. It was an interview at the combine.

Couple of quotes he made that may raise eyebrows in the staid hockey world (normally I'm loathe to post paid-content):

In Buffalo, Tychonick met with 24 of the league's 31 teams head on, knowing it's an approach that may have rubbed some the wrong way.
"I'm never reading the room. They're going to do the facial expression that they want. I'm not going in there and trying to read what they think about me. I'm just going to be the best person that I can be in that meeting."
That would be the most controversial thing he said in the whole piece. He really comes off as high energy and as a young man that knows what he wants. He details his decision to go Jr. A and then to North Dakota vs. playing in the WHL, which I thought was very interesting. Also, talks about how important it is the teams know the real him, rather than being surprised down the road once exposed to his personality.

Taking him at 21 seems like a bit of a reach to me, but dropping back to 25-ish and picking up another pick (maybe an added second from a team in love with someone at 21) could be possible if they like this player. I've seen his buddy Jacob Bernard-Docker play a few times, and I really like his game, but he's more of a steady player vs. what's indicated about Tychonick.

Anyway, hope this helps.
So basically his attitude issues are that he knows who he is and he knows what he wants. He's not going to change to make some team pick him. He will continue to be the best version of himself and won't change for some interview. This actually makes me like him more. :laugh:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Since we got a few more 4th and 5th picks now, I want one or both of these guys:

Semyon Der-Arguchintsev at eliteprospects.com

Youngest player in the draft, improving numbers, great playmaker, good vision. Think with 1st line minutes he's going to explode.

Pavel Gogolev at eliteprospects.com

SDA's teammate, watching highlights of him, his natural goalscoring talent is inpressive. Really like his frame, shot, speed. Think he has an NHL future.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Ruslan Iskhakov is another Russian that looks very intruging. At 5'8 162 lbs, he might be a mid round steal. His size will probably scare teams away, but his skills look high end.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Ruslan Iskhakov is another Russian that looks very intruging. At 5'8 162 lbs, he might be a mid round steal. His size will probably scare teams away, but his skills look high end.
Yeah, I would love if they took him with a 4th or 5th. He's supposedly got great skill.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Anyway, hope this helps.

That’s “attitude”? Man hockey teams get so fussy over nothing.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Maybe this is still a stereotype but isn't drafting Russian kids out of the KHL kind of a crapshoot whether they come over or not?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Maybe this is still a stereotype but isn't drafting Russian kids out of the KHL kind of a crapshoot whether they come over or not?

Nope. Really depends on the kid.

Some may have US-based agent and/or have made comments about wanting to play in NHL.

One reason why you talk with the kid at combine, talk with his family, coach.

Reactions: SharkAttack86

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Nope. Really depends on the kid.

Some may have US-based agent and/or have made comments about wanting to play in NHL.

One reason why you talk with the kid at combine, talk with his family, coach.
I thought about it more after I posted the comment but youre right there is a very extensive vetting process done by all interested clubs.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Same as barzals comment about don't pick him and find out what happens.
I don't think it's quite the same. "if you don't pick me you'll regret it" sounds a lot worse than "I'm going to be myself in an interview." Especially with the first being to the teams directly and the second being to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad