Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Interesting ... and exactly the position I think they should go.

Button's TSN mock has the Sharks selecting Martin Kaut.

I'm all in on building the blueline.

Never limit your picks to a specific position unless you reach that pick and there are multiple absolutely dead-equally rated prospects on your board where position is the only differentiator. By the time any player picked this draft develops who knows if we still need defensive help. Who knows if maybe we suddenly need wingers. Or a goalie. Or tall, questionably mobile, high IQ, low skill, guys who are scrappy and gritty and all-heart and various other euphemisms for being kinda not good enough at hockey things.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I just really hope we don’t trade our first considering we have no second and third this year and no first next year. Norris is also the only first round prospect we have so…

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Never limit your picks to a specific position unless you reach that pick and there are multiple absolutely dead-equally rated prospects on your board where position is the only differentiator. By the time any player picked this draft develops who knows if we still need defensive help. Who knows if maybe we suddenly need wingers. Or a goalie. Or tall, questionably mobile, high IQ, low skill, guys who are scrappy and gritty and all-heart and various other euphemisms for being kinda not good enough at hockey things.
I don't disagree. It will all depend on the Sharks' board and how they have them rated.

They also have the ability to trade back if someone comes knocking with a great offer and they see multiple prospects on the same level.

Good point.

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
In the latest article from The Athletic, there's a quote where DW says something along of the lines of taking a higher reward/higher risk type player with the 21st pick. Sounds promising, hope he follows through.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If the thought is somehow having an offensive-first defenseman like Burns will help him make the transition, I mean, ok. I don't like him, but I realize if I am wrong I am going to be REALLY wrong. I don't think he will be just OK. If I'm wrong he's probably a star.

Captain Serious

Aug 20, 2010
I'm thinking Berggren here

Berggren is someone who I’d target too. High end skill.

Draft list in no particular order:
Bokk
Berggren
Merkley (depending on how interviews go)
Kaut
Wise
Thomas
Kravstov (if we get lucky and he falls)

Guys that I’d rather stay away from despite positive opinions from scouts:
Noel
Lundestrom
Tychonick

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Justin Braun for 10th overall straight up. I guarantee you McLellan is stupid enough to think he's getting 2014-era Braun.

I just don’t think we would want to trade in division like that. For all Braun’s warts, he is actually a very good defensive defenseman and Edmonton has the potential to get really quick in a hurry.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I just don’t think we would want to trade in division like that. For all Braun’s warts, he is actually a very good defensive defenseman and Edmonton has the potential to get really quick in a hurry.

He's not a good defensive defenseman anymore. Or at least not one who can handle the toughest minutes like he used to. Justin Braun is not moving the needle for the Oilers one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad