Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yes me too, a large slow skating physical defensive d-man with high IQ and a history of winning. I just love watching HFboards explode.
I personally like some of the D people think are low upside (Samuelsson, McIsaac) and I don’t like some of the riskier D (Miller, Merkley, but wouldn’t complain about Merkley and would love to be wrong about Miller) now if we got Tychonick I would jump for joy and if we traded down and picked up a second and got a forward there like Foudy, Wise, Lauko, etc. I would give DW my gm of the year award

Reactions: Sleestack and Groo

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I personally like some of the D people think are low upside (Samuelsson, McIsaac) and I don’t like some of the riskier D (Miller, Merkley, but wouldn’t complain about Merkley and would love to be wrong about Miller) now if we got Tychonick I would jump for joy and if we traded down and picked up a second and got a forward there like Foudy, Wise, Lauko, etc. I would give DW my gm of the year award
I swear Foudy's combine performance will cause the Sharks to take him in the 1st round.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don’t think so he was ranked around the late 2nd and early 3rd now I see him ranked more mid 2nd with a few early 2nd. They don’t reach that much
I hope you're right, although if they trade back in the 1st and pick up a 2nd similar to your suggestion then by all means take him.

Reactions: Gecklund

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I swear Foudy's combine performance will cause the Sharks to take him in the 1st round.
Sounds like Foudy had a pretty solid breakout post-trade deadline but the playoff numbers were pretty poor so dunno how to extrapolate from that. Although it looks like only Formenton and Bouchard did anything for the Knights this year. I don't think I can really hate on a Foudy pick but not my first choice.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Seems like this year has a lot of players between 20 through 40 that are pretty similar caliber that I would be okay with picking

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I'd love to get Kravstov. I think he gets picked earlier though. Denisenko is another guy I'd be interested in.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I look forward to general reaction being somewhere between angry and disappointed because too many people get fixated on 1-3 names and turn the process into a binary event where the default attitude is "either you take the handful of guys I like or it was a total and complete failure and everyone should be fired."

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I look forward to general reaction being somewhere between angry and disappointed because too many people get fixated on 1-3 names and turn the process into a binary event where the default attitude is "either you take the handful of guys I like or it was a total and complete failure and everyone should be fired."
Sounds about right although for me this year has more names than 1-3, there are actually quite a few players I’d be happy with which usually isn’t the case

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA

I agree that there can be very silly hyperbole surrounding the draft at times but I don't know how else to describe drafting Josh Norris 19th overall or trading a 2nd round pick to move up two spots to draft Mirco Mueller 18th overall than "a total and complete failure and everyone (meaning Tim Burke and the scouting staff, not Wilson) should be fired." Drafting Meier wasn't a total and complete failure because he's at least a NHLer but it was clearly an extremely bad decision to select him when Barzal, Rantanen and Connor were still available. This team has simply had an inexcusable run in the first round for a very long time. Someone should be held accountable.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Since Galchenyuk just got traded, I went back and looked at the 2012 draft, and it was just horrible. Hertl is the 3rd highest scoring forward, 4th overall, 1 point behind Morgan Reilly in 60 fewer games. Filip Forsberg and Galchenyuk are tied for the most points, and somehow Forsberg slid all the way to 11 to Washington who then traded him for garbage. Tierney has more points than anyone drafted in the second round or later except Gostisbehere. There are a few decent dmen from the draft, Lindholm, Trouba, Parayko, Gostisbehere, after that though, yikes. Sharks did well getting Hertl and Tierney.

Reactions: Beethovens 10th
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad