Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The 2018 NHL Entry Draft has thus far been regarded as a very strong draft. The draft has both star power at the top and great depth through the first round. It is characterized by a myriad of high-end defensemen and wingers, but so far is lacking a center with superstar potential.

The Dream

Rasmus Dahlin is a 6’2” blueliner who many scouts consider to be the best defensive prospect they’ve ever seen. He’s got everything you could ever want in a defenseman. He skates at an elite level, his puck-handling is sublime, and his hockey IQ is off the charts. Not only does he have elite skills, but he hits like a truck as well. He’s playing in the Swedish Elite League this season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=310545

Some highlights (these will blow you away):

The Consolation Prize

Andrei Svechnikov is no slouch though. The runner up to the 2018 lottery will get a huge goal-scoring winger. The little brother of Wings prospect Evgeny, Andrei played the last season in the USHL before making the jump to the OHL this season. Andrei is an excellent skater, has a great shot, and is very creative with the puck. While Svechnikov is a great prospect, it’s troublesome to build around a winger, so if there’s any downside it’s that.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=328556

The Field

While I have major doubts that anyone will overtake Dahlin or Svechnikov, there is a strong next tier of players that have star potential.

Defensemen to watch are undersized but dynamic Quinn Hughes, two-way Ty Smith, an Erik Karlsson stylistic clone in Adam Boqvist, towering Bode Wilde, the smooth Jared McIsaac, the river-gambler Ryan Merkley, and so many more. This first round will be full of defensemen. There’s even a guy named Jett Woo. How cool is that??

Wingers to watch are the Czech Filip Zadina, Matt Tkachuk’s nastier little bro Brady, and the Finn Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

But Jux, what about the centers?

Herein lies the great flaw of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft: there is no Jack Eichel, no Auston Matthews... and there might not even be a Nico Hischier or Nolan Patrick.

The best bet is Joe Veleno. Veleno was the first player to be given exceptional status in the QMJHL. While he hasn’t fallen from grace like Sean Day, he also has not lived up to expectations. From what little I’ve seen, he looks like a taller rookie version of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins stylistically. He could take the next step and become a future star, but I don’t think we’re looking at a guaranteed 1C here.

Jack McBain, who plays in the OJHL, could be a sleeper. Oliver Wahlstrom, whose name might be familiar to you for the insane shootout goal he scored as a 9 year old that I distinctly remember being shown on a Sharks broadcast, has had an excellent start to his season in the NTDP and could rise.

One name you may have heard but is conspicuously missing is Jake Wise. Once regarded as a prospect who could be the next Eichel, Wise hasn’t grown much and stands generously at 5’10”. From what I’ve seen of him, he still plays like he’s a big guy and it just doesn’t work. If he can accept his size and change his style to a more finesse-type winger, he could be a good player, but forget about the next Eichel.

Since we have no 2nd or 3rd round pick (thanks Doug Wilson), I feel no need to go any further than that.

Discuss!

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I want Boqvist or Veleno. Or Dahlin or Svechnikov obviously but I don't think we will be THAT bad. Here's to hoping we are this year's flyers or stars in the lottery!

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Scoring winger? Let's grab Svechnikov!

But I would love to grab Brady, would be nice to have that kind of nastiness on our team.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Who are the 'safe' two-way forwards we should keep a lookout for?

Ryan McLeod!

Hockey bloodlines? Check.
Good defensively? Check.
Plays in OHL? Check.
Gonna score less than a PPG in his draft year? Check.
Old for his draft year? Check.
Grit? Check
C e n t e r? Check.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Is it bad that I don't think they'd draft Dahlin if they got 1st OVA? Like I feel like they'd draft down if they could because they think our defense is a position of strength.

This is actually one of the fears I have. The Sharks love to go off the board and pick someone different from what the consensus is. I want the Sharks to get a top 3 pick but I'm also kinda wary because what if there's a clear top 3 but then they go off the board and pick someone who was projected as the 6th or 7th pick. The anger and meltdown would be off the charts.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I can't wait for Tim Burke's gravelly voice to announce someone that is ranked in the 20's (by the experts) first overall...

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
I can't wait for Tim Burke's gravelly voice to announce someone that is ranked in the 20's (by the experts) first overall...
giphy.gif

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If we don't get 1OA, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at Tkachuk

I’m personally not convinced that Brady Tkachuk has the level of talent that Matt does, but we’ll see how he manages to produce at BU. I have him more around 10 then around 3-5 like many lists have him, but a year out obviously anything could happen.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Just let HFBoards pick the 1st round and Burke can pick rest of draft. Sharks would be in much better shape if this was the case for the last 5 years.

#Fallin4Dahlin

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Just let HFBoards pick the 1st round and Burke can pick rest of draft. Sharks would be in much better shape if this was the case for the last 5 years.

#Fallin4Dahlin
2017: Yamamoto instead of Norris
2016: no first
2015: Rantanen/Barzal instead of Meier
2014: Fabbri/Pastrnak instead of Goldy
2013: Rychel/Mantha instead of Mueller
2012: Teravainen? Over Hertl

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
2017: Yamamoto instead of Norris
2016: no first
2015: Rantanen/Barzal instead of Meier
2014: Fabbri/Pastrnak instead of Goldy
2013: Rychel/Mantha instead of Mueller
2012: Teravainen? Over Hertl
Damn, would we have been able to pay all those guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->