Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Since Galchenyuk just got traded, I went back and looked at the 2012 draft, and it was just horrible. Hertl is the 3rd highest scoring forward, 4th overall, 1 point behind Morgan Reilly in 60 fewer games. Filip Forsberg and Galchenyuk are tied for the most points, and somehow Forsberg slid all the way to 11 to Washington who then traded him for garbage. Tierney has more points than anyone drafted in the second round or later except Gostisbehere. There are a few decent dmen from the draft, Lindholm, Trouba, Parayko, Gostisbehere, after that though, yikes. Sharks did well getting Hertl and Tierney.

It’s pretty wild that the Sharks got the two best centers in the draft at 17th overall and 55th overall.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah Hertl's just as much or as little a center as Galchenyuk and Teravainen I'd say. What a horrible draft.

Personally, I think Hertl is best as the LW on a line with a left handed goal scoring center and a right handed playmaking RW. I think Hertl is a natural F1 (and one of the best in the NHL) and I can’t think of a truly dominant line in recent history where the F1 was the center.

I haven’t seen enough of Galchenyuk to truly say but I actually think he is more of a natural center.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Few predictions:

-NYI trades #12 for Grubauer + #31
-Dallas trades 3rd rounder and 4th rounder for Boedker
-Sharks trade #21 for #28 and #38 from NYR
-Sharks draft a dude we all hate

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I really hope we're able to trade down (or flat out deal the pick for a player). Our scouting staff picking at 21st in this draft seems like another disaster waiting to happen.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I really hope we're able to trade down (or flat out deal the pick for a player). Our scouting staff picking at 21st in this draft seems like another disaster waiting to happen.
I could see DW making a trade at the draft, especially if he can pull off a move like the Burns trade. If we use the pick I'd hope the go for the best player available or catch a highly rated kid who is dropping, but I think history has shown the Sharks have a proclivity for reaching back and taking what they consider to be a safe bet. Especially considering we have no 2nd or 3rd round pick. Just no goddamn stay at home slow d, or grinder bottom 6 forwards for f***'s sake.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I could see DW making a trade at the draft, especially if he can pull off a move like the Burns trade. If we use the pick I'd hope the go for the best player available or catch a highly rated kid who is dropping, but I think history has shown the Sharks have a proclivity for reaching back and taking what they consider to be a safe bet. Especially considering we have no 2nd or 3rd round pick. Just no goddamn stay at home slow d, or grinder bottom 6 forwards for ****'s sake.

Yeah I'm guessing we end up with someone like Serron Noel, Ryan McLeod or Jared McIsaac or even god forbid Liam Foudy. All of whom except maybe McIsaac would be another wasted pick just like last year unless you can find some other GM who sees a lot of trade value in one of those prospects. I'd feel much more comfortable trading down and hoping we hit on one of the resulting picks or just trading the pick altogether.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I'm sorry but if the Sharks seriously take a forward who scored 40 points in 65 games this year 21st overall the entire scouting staff needs to be cleaned out. The historical success rate of forwards who score at that level in the CHL during their draft year is abysmal. At the very least trade down and get him early in the second round while picking up another pick or asset.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Isac Lundestrom reminds me of a cross between Donskoi and Hertl because of his duel ability to create space for himself and possess the puck. Those skills are somethings I could see the Sharks coveting.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Would you guys consider trading your 2018 1st for your 2019 1st that Buffalo pick got in the E Kane deal?

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Would you guys consider trading your 2018 1st for your 2019 1st that Buffalo pick got in the E Kane deal?

I would do this if Buffalo took on Boedker as part of the deal with no salary coming back to SJ. Boedker would be a nice fit in the Sabres top nine too given their lack of wingers. He can still contribute but we can better utilize that cap space elsewhere. Something like 21st overall + Mikkel Boedker for SJ's 2019 1st + MIN's 2018 4th round pick could work, at least imo.

Assuming a Paul Martin buyout the Sharks would then have about $22mil under an $80mil cap to spend on Tavares/Kovalchuk, Thornton, Hertl, Tierney and a potential upgrade on defense. More than doable to get Tavares at 12, Hertl at 5, Thornton at 3 and Tierney at 2 with the additional flexibility of moving Karlsson for even more wiggle room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad