Post-Game Talk: The 2017-18 New Jersey Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another reason ROR could come available is Buffalo making room for Mittelstadt at 2C. He's a stud and is signed long term so that is gonna cost major assets that can't go to a LHD.

And why we shouldn’t do it. Our need at LD is far far greater then getting another center.

We absolutely can go into next season and be a better team with the forwards we have on the roster and in the system, but we absolutely can not be a better team next season with the defense we have.

We have to fix LD and it is going to be extremely expensive to do it.

If a deal for a forward presents itself and Shero can do his fleecing yeah then consider it, but we shouldn’t be overpaying for forwards at all right now.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
With top six wingers of Hall Bratt MarJo and Palms I’m not sure that there is room for Maroon if he wants s top six contract. If he commands 5 x 5 or something close to that he’d be a fairly expensive luxury player. For a three year deal it’s a pretty easy yes as long as the overpayment isn’t too much. Maybe 3 x 5.5?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Why is Andy Greene still on the first pairing? Carlson will probably die of exhaustion by March or April if he's carrying around Greene all year.

The biggest problem with this year's team was Andy Greene playing 21 minutes a night. If he's on the top pairing next year, he's still playing around 20 minutes a night. He needs to be playing 16 minutes a night, maybe 17 minutes tops. No matter who his partner is. Greene and Santini might be a pretty okay pairing if it's the bottom pairing and not the top pairing. Facing weaker competition like Ryan Callahan and not Nikita Kucherov or Steven Stamkos.

Problem is there is no better alternatives right now unless Shero finds one via trade.

I'm not sure a guy like Calvin DeHaan will do a better job then Greene. I'd rather just go for Carlson, spread the minutes between the top two pairings, and hope one of our LDs can take the next step.

Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Problem is there is no better alternatives right now unless Shero finds one via trade.

I'm not sure a guy like Calvin DeHaan will do a better job then Greene. I'd rather just go for Carlson, spread the minutes between the top two pairings, and hope one of our LDs can take the next step.
I think there are better alternatives, that's just how bad Greene is right now. It doesn't mean the alternatives will be good.

I'm not sure about Mueller, but I'd love to see Butcher playing up there with Carlson, or a better defenseman than what we have now.

Butcher ate up weak competition and spit them out. I don't think he'll eat up tough competition, but I think he'll hold his own. Greene gets chewed up and spit out by the tougher competition. Even with Vatanen, Greene looked completely toasted on some nights. Especially by the last month or two of the season.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I know the main boards aren't the best place to gauge the value of a player but there are some seriously good offers for ROR on there that I'd prefer to Severson + Zacha + 1st. Also, like others have mentioned if we're giving up that much I'd much rather add a LHD which is a significantly more important IMO. Even if we do sign Carlson (which would be after the draft anyways) I'd still prefer a move for someone like OEL over ROR.

Also Anaheim is not trading Fowler. He's a bonafide 1D

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
dream offseason
Re-sign Wood, Noesen, Coleman, Gibbons, Santini
Sign Tavares 11x7, Carlson 7x7
Trade combination of Zacha, Severson, Quenneville, Speers, draft picks for top 4 LHD (Hanifin, OEL, Brodin, Lindholm, Fowler, Muzzin, Schmidt, Edler, Brodie)

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We simply can’t go into next season expecting to be a better team without upgrading our left side. We will be stuck in the bubble again and first round fodder barring some unforeseen luck.

Shero is going to have to find a solution via trade and most likely overpay.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I was going back and forth on it, but I think I am fine with letting Maroon walk.

Hall, Palmieri, Johansson, Bratt, Coleman, Noesen, Wood will all be back. Thats 7 wingers right there. Then you have guys like Anderson, McLeod (I believe he will start on the wing), JQ in the organization. Thats before even taking into account anyone from outside the team since you know they will likely sign some warm bodies ala Hayes to be depth.

The only things I really want this offseason are a top 4 LHD and a 2nd line C. We can pretty much fill in everything else from within.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We simply can’t go into next season expecting to be a better team without upgrading our left side. We will be stuck in the bubble again and first round fodder barring some unforeseen luck.

Shero is going to have to find a solution via trade and most likely overpay.

This is why I question Carlson. He's fantastic but if we don't address LD, what's the point?

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I was going back and forth on it, but I think I am fine with letting Maroon walk.

Hall, Palmieri, Johansson, Bratt, Coleman, Noesen, Wood will all be back. Thats 7 wingers right there. Then you have guys like Anderson, McLeod (I believe he will start on the wing), JQ in the organization. Thats before even taking into account anyone from outside the team since you know they will likely sign some warm bodies ala Hayes to be depth.

The only things I really want this offseason are a top 4 LHD and a 2nd line C. We can pretty much fill in everything else from within.
It wouldn’t be the end of the world if he walked, but this team sorely lacked net presence and big bodies against a soft team. I think the only wingers in the organization with intimidating size are Bastian and Popugaev...that isn’t saying much. Wood had decent size, but his possession game isn’t nearly on par with maroon. We want to be fast, attacking and supportive, but it seems like our entire forward corps are all 5’10” 180 lb guys with few exceptions. We need a little bit more power up front.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This is why I question Carlson. He's fantastic but if we don't address LD, what's the point?

I think the thought is if Carlson is signed, you package up a guy like Severson (or Santini) for an upgrade at LD

I am not sure how realistic that is, but I think thats at least the thinking

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think the thought is if Carlson is signed, you package up a guy like Severson (or Santini) for an upgrade at LD

Oh I get that, I'm just not sure how much of an upgrade is possible. Now if that impossible Fowler scenario presents itself sure. But the upgrade has to be enough to knock Greene out of LD1 which admittedly isn't going to be difficult to do.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

The D is a dumpster fire as is. If we get caught up in worrying about who is LD vs RD, we're in trouble. If we have the option if adding ANY good defensemen, we need to.

Besides, handedness and sides are overblown. Any elite athlete can slot in on either side .

Reactions: New Jersey

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The D is a dumpster fire as is. If we get caught up in worrying about who is LD vs RD, we're in trouble. If we have the option if adding ANY good defensemen, we need to.

Besides, handedness and sides are overblown. Any elite athlete can slot in on either side .

Except they usually don't. You don't see the truly top pairing guys switching sides.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It is a thought and it is possible, but we can’t plan around that idea. Especially as the draft comes before free agency and that would be our best place to make a deal.

Plus we lose negotiating power if teams know we have to trade a LD because we have too many with Carlson.

It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t sign him per say, but we can’t plan the whole offseason around him coming here as we would be up shits creek without a paddle if he doesn’t.

Frankly I don’t foresee any scenario where we address LD without trading a first round pick. Either this year or next years.

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
It is a thought and it is possible, but we can’t plan around that idea. Especially as the draft comes before free agency and that would be our best place to make a deal.

Plus we lose negotiating power if teams know we have to trade a LD because we have too many with Carlson.

It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t sign him per say, but we can’t plan the whole offseason around him coming here as we would be up ****s creek without a paddle if he doesn’t.

So it would be a pretty big risk, but you would seemingly need to trade Sevs+ for an upgrade at LD and hope you land Carlson after. Idk how I feel about trading him, but that would be the way you need to do it to mitigate risk. Just assuming there is a trade available, you do it, because you are doing it without having your back against the wall like in the scenario you presented, or like the position Anaheim was in. You make the trade with someone while having the option to walk away if it isn't great.

Then, if worst comes to worst, our left side is stronger while our right side looks like it did the times that Sevs was sat. Plus hopefully Satini taking a step up, and the fact the whoever is now on the left side can take some pressure off a lesser player on the right, giving them room to breathe and play (hopefully) better. This is all under the "worst case scenerio" though, meaning we don't pick up a single body to improve the right side what so ever.

So yea, if that is the plan eventually, I would believe you would need to trade Severson before anything else to hope for the best possible outcome.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Issue is you also can’t assume Carlson signs here because if he doesn’t and the left side upgrade you traded Severson for isn’t a true number 1 then the D is most likely at best not much better from the previous year.

Taking Severson off the team in a trade without a replacement does us no good.

All the more reason why I don’t see how we avoid trading a 1st. It is the best asset with have that doesn’t hurt the current roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad