GDT: That Ain't The Friggin' Christmas Star Gris: Stars @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Boyle is a great feel good story. He doesn't skate well and really doesn't fit this team. I prefer stating the obvious on the best of nights so I don't look like I'm piling on when he loses a face off on a game winning goal.

I personally like players like Boyle but it seems like a big divergence from everything they trying to do.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I honestly **** on Gibbons when the season roster came out but holy ****ing **** he's been absolutely amazing. @SteveCangialosi123 has been pumping him up all the time in a tongue and cheek kinda way but he's right, Gibby actually deserves it, he's been fantastic.
Gibbons is only on pace for 52 points. :laugh:

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Boyle is a great feel good story. He doesn't skate well and really doesn't fit this team. I prefer stating the obvious on the best of nights so I don't look like I'm piling on when he loses a face off on a game winning goal.

I personally like players like Boyle but it seems like a big divergence from everything they trying to do.

I don't know. I get what you are saying, but the character he has comes into play during an 82 game season where there will be downs and lulls.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed. Never understand the criticism of him. He’s been fantastic. Facing a lot of shots and quality looks all season long. Let him loose.
Last year he may have deserved it a little bit and he was looking like he might be continuing that play very early this season, but he's bounced back quite nicely in the last 1.5 months particularly. Just had a stretch of rough games in late October/early November and maybe an assorted bad game here or there at other parts of the season, but I'll take my chances with him more than not.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I honestly **** on Gibbons when the season roster came out but holy ****ing **** he's been absolutely amazing. @SteveCangialosi123 has been pumping him up all the time in a tongue and cheek kinda way but he's right, Gibby actually deserves it, he's been fantastic.
It’s crazy...If you watch him closely he really doesn’t ever make a bad play. Such a smart player and he gives 100% every shift. I hope he can carve out a role here for the rest of his career.

Reactions: JK3

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Boyle was brought in for leadership, defensive forward play, play physical, and winning faceoffs. Not his speed or anything like that. Sometimes you cant find the exact right player that checks all the boxes. Boyle checks other boxes beside the speed box. He has done exactly what you would expect, won some key faceoffs, scored some points, play physical, been a leader and mostly played well defensively. If your expecting more then your looking at the wrong player.

Reactions: Patrik26 and tr83

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Boyle doesn’t fit the identity of the team but brings some intangibles. Not in the ha ha ha intangibles way, but the team fought harder after his goal and scuffle afterwards. He’s a great influence on the team and there’s a reason he wears the an A 20 games in.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

sure a divergence, but it takes all kinds of players to be successful

imagine 12 gretzkys as your lineup…….recipe for loss more times then not.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Guys we have to give Hynes some credit... Really. No one has mentioned it yet. He HAS to be a major part of this
I’m giving props to Hynes.

His lineup usage has been excellent from training camp.

Started Hischier on 3rd line and bumped him up to top line when the performances warranted it. Ditto Jesper Bratt. I like how he has no problems giving youth a go. The decisions to keep Gibbons and Coleman ahead of Blandisi and Quenneville after camp has been a master stroke. Yes Blandisi and Quenneville were better scorers in camp but Hynes wanted Gibbons and Coleman on the team for PK ability and it has been paid off in spades.

He is very smart with how he has used Butcher. Shelter him on even strength and ramp him up on power play.

He has recognized that Lovejoy isn’t the player he once was and scratched him for most of the season. I’m sure there is a temptation is to continue to play him as he is a Stanley cup veteran over the likes of Severson, Santini, Mueller and Butcher. But Hynes has recognized quickly that The above 4 dman are the future of this team. Even when Lovejoy does play, he gives him minimal minutes and he has been every effective as a no. 7 dman this year.

Scratching of Santini and Severson has been good coaching. Severson wasn’t performing and got a deserved benching. But credit to Hynes, didn’t let him sit long and has been damn good since his scratching. Santini also has been good as well from his spell on the sidelines as Hynes has learned that Santini got overwhelmed playing top pairing minutes, so it best to give him a rest and then cut his minutes back on return. The acquisition of Vatanen has helped with this and I think Vatanen has also helped lessen the load of Andy Greene’s minutes which is a good thing.

Zajac completely sucked in his first 10 games back from injury but you just had to persist and the benefits are now showing. He looks great with Coleman and Gibbons. You could say the same with Brian Boyle after missing all of training camp. We now seeing the value what he brings, with his faceoff prowess and veteran leadership. The fact he is chipping in some goals now is a huge bonus.

And finally, as much as everyone hates how Zacha is being treated, Hynes is doing the right thing. Scratching him for multiple games is the only way he can learn that his compete level was holding him back. If he doesn’t bring it each game he is going to get scratched. Jimmy Hayes has outworked Zacha for the season to date but hopefully after the last 3 games, Zacha now realizes what he needs to go to stay in the lineup. So when the likes of MoJo and Palms returns from injury, it is Hayes and Stafford that go out, and Zacha stays in.

John Hynes is a top 3 Jack Adams candidate to date this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Speaking of Bratt, did anyone see a replay that Sal brought up during the broadcast of Bratt using his left skate to help the Devils win a faceoff draw? :eek:

That was gold.
You just quoted me posting that clip. :D

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gibbons had 23 points in 66 games (I think it was?) in the NHL before he was on the Devils. So he was never a total scrub, that's a decent production line for journeyman minor leaguer in limited NHL time.

iMissKovy

Nov 12, 2017
Boca raton, Fl

Nah. we need a guy who can be apresence in front of the net and add toughness to our team . He fits that mold perfectly

Reactions: Patrik26

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I just want to say I’m proud how this team has played the last 3 games. When they get healthy and continue to play the same way, they could do some damage and I wouldn’t want to play us in the playoffs. I also like Zacha and Wood together. They can be dangerous going forward.

Reactions: JK3

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Yeah this Zajac line needs to stay together. They are working really well together and bring another element that we were missing early.
We have 3 very good lines at moment.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Just the tonic Hall needed to get going. Playing with offensive creative players has seen Hall’s game go to a new level in NJ and has helped tremendously ease the transition into the NHL of Hischier and Bratt. I think we all knew that Hischier was eventually going to become a no. 1 center. Bratt’s rise was completely out of the blue and much needed given the injuries to Palms and MoJo.

Coleman-Zajac-Gibbons
I’ve been vocal in calling for Zajac to play as a shutdown 3C for the last 2 seasons. Well it is finally happened and the results are great, as Hynes has found the right two line mates for Trav. Coleman and Gibbons are very disciplined and good defensively. These three can play big minutes at even strength if it is required to shutdown superstars like McDavid, Kopitar, Seguin etc.

Wood-Boyle-Noesen
Boyle is the perfect 4th line all rounder. Wins faceoffs, good defensively, can PK and can be effective on PP too in front of the net. Wood and Noesen bring energy, speed and grit. Which is what you want from a 4th line. Both of them block shots and willing to take a stick to the face to help their team.

That just leaves finding a secondary scoring line to take the pressure off Hall. We know two of them are going to Johansson and Palmieri. They haven’t had a chance to play together due to injury. And hopefully the third guy is Pavel Zacha as he has the skill set to play with MoJo and Palms. He just needs to not be complacent and compete hard each night. If he does, the points will start to come when playing with MoJo and Palms. And we will have a complete 4 line set. Things are looking up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad