GDT: That Ain't The Friggin' Christmas Star Gris: Stars @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zacha still has 11 more points that Josefson did after 96 NHL games. I’m including Josefson’s 6 playoff games into that equation. Josefson’s 96th NHL game was the second to last game of the 2013 lockout shortened season. Josefson was already 22 years and 1.5 months old, and also had played 60 AHL games by this point, compared to Zacha’s 8 AHL games, playoffs and regular season combined and Zacha being just 20 years and 8 months old.

Josefson also started the 13-14 season with almost 20 games before his first point. I looked that up last night, so I forgot the figure exactly.

Only comparing the two after how many times I’ve seen Zacha refered to as “Josefson 2.0” around here.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's definitely not too late for Pavel. Zacha is currently the 11th leading point producer from the 2015 draft. He's also 11th in games played. But I would say a bit of panic is starting to creep in for me.

People were making a big deal early last year over Travis Konencny,
Now 102 games played, 38 points, 4 more points than Zacha in 7 more games we don't hear so much...Timo Meier was a flavor of the day for a while too. Barzal is the current Tickle me Elmo that everyone needs for Christmas and it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the Konencny mold when things even out also.

The panic with Zacha is the lackadaisical play, the lack of a sense of urgency, the lack of passion and determination... Remember Viktor Kozlov, a big beautiful specimen of skill and size. getting him interested and motivated was always the problem. Skill without will is pretty much useless. And we have seen a lot of that from Pavel

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Zacha was a 6th overall pick for crying out loud! I can't believe some people are acting like he's playing well and producing like he's supposed to. He was not a 3rd or 4th round pick. 6th OVERALL!!

Sure, players develop differently and all that. But Zacha was considered one of the most NHL- ready at the time of the draft. What has happened ever since? He has become one of the biggest busts in years, with the likes of Griffin Reinhart, Dal Colle etc.

Maybe he will become a player, maybe not. There are no signs of him showing us that he will live up to the expectations of the player we thought we were getting. Period.
Zacha is 20 and only in his 2nd year of pro hockey, he's in no way a bust. Also, have you looked at the 2015 draft? While he definitely wouldn't go 6th in hindsight, 3rd or 4th rounder is pure hyperbole. Of course you should know this, since I posted it last time you made such a ridiculous post.

zitqO6u.png

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
2009:
Kane (3), Schenn(4), Schroeder(5), Glennie(7) - Schenn had a slow start, Kane popped and regressed and has been a 40 pt player since, Schroeder has no impact, Glennie has no impact

2010:
Johansen (4), Niedereitter (5), Connolly (6), Skinner (7) - Johansen 33 pts through first 100 (broke into leauge at 19, Nieds (6 years to come into his own as a 40-50pt guy), Connolly (nice 3rd line guy), Skinner (broke out, regressed a bit, still lived up to expectations)

2011:
Ryan Strome (5), Zibanejad (6), Mark Scheifele (7), Couturier (8) - Strome breaks into league at 20, been 30-50pt guy, Zibs 46 pts in first FULL season, 4 years into career - better progression than Zacha but not McDavid, Scheifele breaks out in his fifth season. His 20-year season, his third year, was his first "real" season and he was a 34 pts in 63 games guy. Couterier broke into the league at 19...pretty steady 30 pt guy that's coming into his own.

2012:
crazily, no forwards in the 4-10 range

2013:
Drouin (3), Lindholm (5), Monahan (6), Horvat (9): Drouin 19 year season was pretty good but 20 was a disappointment; Lindholm 34 points in first 140 games; Monahan clearly a big impact player early; Horvat 65 points in first 150 games, not as impactful as Monahan but good

Zacha - 34 points in first 100 games...patience

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The panic with Zacha is the lackadaisical play, the lack of a sense of urgency, the lack of passion and determination... Remember Viktor Kozlov, a big beautiful specimen of skill and size. getting him interested and motivated was always the problem. Skill without will is pretty much useless. And we have seen a lot of that from Pavel

This is the issue, but I don't think it's lack of interest or a poor attitude which is the root cause. So I don't have that sense of panic.

Looks to me like confidence issues, which is concerning, but less of a concern then a guy who just looks lazy or not interested.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think we also need to consider that the early part of this season Hynes is pressing buttons. Last year they let him play, but this year they are trying to get more out of him, and in doing so, by scratching him, or limiting his minutes, or by having him play down in the lineup, might be expecting less short term production in hopes of getting more long term production.

The past couple games we've seen a little production, so hopefully that is a sign he is getting a foot hold, but at this point I am willing to write off this early part of the season, cross my fingers and hope he gets rolling over the final 50ish games.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Zacha still has 11 more points that Josefson did after 96 NHL games. I’m including Josefson’s 6 playoff games into that equation. Josefson’s 96th NHL game was the second to last game of the 2013 lockout shortened season. Josefson was already 22 years and 1.5 months old, and also had played 60 AHL games by this point, compared to Zacha’s 8 AHL games, playoffs and regular season combined and Zacha being just 20 years and 8 months old.

Josefson also started the 13-14 season with almost 20 games before his first point. I looked that up last night, so I forgot the figure exactly.

Only comparing the two after how many times I’ve seen Zacha refered to as “Josefson 2.0” around here.
JJ actually started off with a fairly respectable 10 points in 28 games. It was in the seasons after that where his offensive struggles really began to become apparent.

Which again points to how differently guys can develop.

I think Swede said he was one of the most NHL ready guys in the draft, but his Sarnia point totals did not suggest that. Physically yes he had the tools, but I think there was always the thought that he would need some time to put it all together.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
The thing that worries me about Zacha is that he's never been a big point producer anywhere. It's all projection. I can see where the projection comes from with his skill, speed, and size, but I'd feel more comfortable if there was some sort of track record of top-line production.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The thing that worries me about Zacha is that he's never been a big point producer anywhere. It's all projection. I can see where the projection comes from with his skill, speed, and size, but I'd feel more comfortable if there was some sort of track record of top-line production.
It's not like his Sarnia #'s were bad though. A tick under a ppg his draft year. Then 1.2 ppg in his +1, and nearly 2 ppg in that years playoffs.

And those CHL #'s often are a product of the team. Getting some 20 yr olds together is often helpful.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Zacha is 20 and only in his 2nd year of pro hockey, he's in no way a bust. Also, have you looked at the 2015 draft? While he definitely wouldn't go 6th in hindsight, 3rd or 4th rounder is pure hyperbole. Of course you should know this, since I posted it last time you made such a ridiculous post.

zitqO6u.png

Did you have to post this? I was in a good mood until seeing this...

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Zacha was a 6th overall pick for crying out loud! I can't believe some people are acting like he's playing well and producing like he's supposed to. He was not a 3rd or 4th round pick. 6th OVERALL!!

Sure, players develop differently and all that. But Zacha was considered one of the most NHL- ready at the time of the draft. What has happened ever since? He has become one of the biggest busts in years, with the likes of Griffin Reinhart, Dal Colle etc.

Maybe he will become a player, maybe not. There are no signs of him showing us that he will live up to the expectations of the player we thought we were getting. Period.

Literally SHOCKED you have this opinion...

:rolleyes:

the fact that you are calling a 20 year old a bust just shows how impatient you are. Yikes.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Literally SHOCKED you have this opinion...

:rolleyes:

the fact that you are calling a 20 year old a bust just shows how impatient you are. Yikes.
I think the worst part was him putting dal colle in the same league lol. Obviously needs something to complain about because can’t complain about team performance as per his usaul

Reactions: Bleedred

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->